The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rachel is now Unemployed "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Average Joe Forum (Protected)
Original message

OfficerDave 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-06-04, 04:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail OfficerDave Click to send private message to OfficerDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rachel is now Unemployed "
LAST EDITED ON 04-06-04 AT 04:15 AM (EST)

It would seem that life in a second-grade classroom would be enough reality for anyone.

Not for Rachel Goetz, though. She has lost her job as a Clarkstown teacher for appearing on NBC's "Average Joe: Adam Returns," instead of being in her classroom at the Lakewood Elementary School in Congers.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/040204/b0102averageteach.html

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rachel is now Unemployed denver 04-06-04 1
   RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Leadoff 04-06-04 3
       RE: Rachel is now Unemployed denver 04-06-04 5
           RE: Rachel is now Unemployed buscemi 04-06-04 6
               RE: Rachel is now Unemployed merkrn 04-07-04 21
           RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Chrissy gal 04-06-04 7
               RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Handola 04-06-04 11
                   RE: Rachel is now Unemployed merkrn 04-07-04 22
           RE: Rachel is now Unemployed schmoe 04-06-04 8
           RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Ivorywire 04-13-04 23
       RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Zeus 04-07-04 20
 RE: Rachel is now Unemployed lisajames 04-06-04 2
   RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Chrissy gal 04-06-04 4
       RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Ricky 04-07-04 14
 RE: Rachel is now Unemployed SurvivorBlows 04-06-04 9
   RE: Rachel is now Unemployed Chrissy gal 04-06-04 10
 RE: Rachel is now Unemployed ladro 04-06-04 12
   RE: Rachel is now Unemployed fred_garvin 04-07-04 13
       RE: Rachel is now Unemployed BrykMantra 04-07-04 15
       RE: Rachel is now Unemployed ladro 04-07-04 16
           RE: Rachel is now Unemployed pmspml5 04-27-04 25
   RE: Rachel is now Unemployed schmoe 04-07-04 17
       RE: Rachel is now Unemployed ladro 04-07-04 18
           RE: Rachel is now Unemployed schmoe 04-07-04 19
 Article in People KScott 04-13-04 24
   Didn't someone lose their job on Bi... ValenciaJoe 04-27-04 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

denver 7 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-04, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail denver Click to send private message to denver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Are you happy now Adam?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Leadoff 60 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-06-04, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Leadoff Click to send private message to Leadoff Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
>Are you happy now Adam?

Pardon me, but why is this Adam's fault? He didn't put a gun to her head to force her to be on the show. The woman took off from her job for three weeks to be on the program. Try taking three weeks off of YOUR job and see what happens! I think that the school district is within its rights to fire her.

People in this country really need to stop whining that it's someone else's fault when they make a decision in which there are life consequences, and realize that they and they alone are responsible for their choices!

denver 7 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-04, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail denver Click to send private message to denver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Let me expand on my comment. Lots of American take three weeks or more off work a year. There is nothing extreme or unusual in her request to do so. I've seen substitues fill in for months at a time. Rachel sacraficed pretty much everything to be with Adam. It seems America agreed she would make the perfect life partner. Adam's parents, who know him better than any of us, even thought Rachel was the perfect match for their son. Rachel clearly paid a very high price for "real" love. I would hate to have that on my conscious.

buscemi 414 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-06-04, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buscemi Click to send private message to buscemi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Yes, they do, but look at this quote:

"On Feb. 9, five days before the vacation, she wrote to Heebink requesting a 15-day unpaid leave to pursue 'the opportunity of a lifetime.'"

Now, I know several people who have gotten long term substitute teaching positions. In all of those cases, the teacher put in for the time off several months ahead of time. I really see nothing wrong with the school district (or any employer) rejecting an application for 3 consecutive weeks off when the request is made less than 1 week before the proposed vacation. Now, sure, if there are extenuating circumstances, the time off should be granted on short notice; I just don't see going on "Average Joe" as one of those circumstances.

merkrn 4 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 10:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail merkrn Click to send private message to merkrn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
if rachel had more notice herself, i'm sure she would have put her request in sooner.There are plenty of sub teachers out there who would have loved to have had the chance to fill in for her.

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-06-04, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
My husband and I have been married for 22 years and his parents still don't think I am the perfect life partner for him. They wanted him to marry a woman who loves horses even though he hates horses. They wanted him to marry a woman who he didn't love and they can not accept the fact that he fell in love with someone who didn't live right around the corner from him all of his life. Moral - parents don't always know their grown children as well as they think they do. Moral #2 - not everyone wants the same things out of life.

Handola 54 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-04, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Handola Click to send private message to Handola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Here here! Adam said it best when he pointed out that his parents aren't the ones who live with his choice, nor is America. Just because Rachel appeared to be perfect for him, doesn't mean she was and he just didn't feel it in his heart for her. If he had, he would have gone for it. I think Adam is getting a bad name because of his choice and it's not fair. I said in another thread-remember: he sent those supermodels home! And Rachel is a pretty girl, so he had a choice between two hotties as far as I'm concerned and he went with the one he was passionate about. Nothing wrong with that.

And, Rachel is the only one to blame for being fired. Adam had nothing to do with it. She'd be fired even if he chose her!

Now, whether or not Samantha is shallow and not appropriate for him, that's another story. Slick editing can show us anything the producers want us to see. Adam must have seen (or felt) something that we didn't.

merkrn 4 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail merkrn Click to send private message to merkrn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Adam was thinking w/ his little head when he made his chose.he is the 1 who has to live w/ his choice, i just hope he isn't to hurt when he realizes that his parents were right. i don't see sam hanging around long. adam has a lot of responsablity with his busy and i can't see sam not wanting to come 1st. but then again he can always just give her money to go shopping. i'm sure that will make her happy.

schmoe 69 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-04, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail schmoe Click to send private message to schmoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "

I agree that Adam made a poor choice, but he bears no responsibility for Rachel's firing. I'm not sure where your making that connection. Rachel and Rachel alone made the decision to go on a 3 week vacation. Adam wasn't under any obligation to pick her. Even if he had, she still would have been fired.

Ivorywire 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-13-04, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ivorywire Click to send private message to Ivorywire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
How well can one get to know another through a television show? "Love" shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as this show. Rachel barely knew Adam. Rachel knew even less before going on the show. What was her motivation for going on? This show sort of reminds me of Jerry Springer. I used to watch Springer and wonder why people subjected themselves to being on stage. I wonder the same about the people who appear on this show. If Adam didn't have a lot of money, would Rachel have gone on? I sure doubt it.

Zeus 11 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zeus Click to send private message to Zeus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
LAST EDITED ON 04-20-04 AT 06:52 AM (EST)

Rachel, there are numerous K-6 teaching positions available in Fairfax County, VA (where my wife teaches). Check out www.fcps.edu. You would make a great addition to our schools.

lisajames 5 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-04, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lisajames Click to send private message to lisajames Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
This is so sad! The school board acted purely to be punitive; it surely can't be for the best of the students to have their teacher fired and a long-term sub brought in for the last 3 months of school. And let's face it, the morals issue from 100 years ago is still in effect. Schools don't want their single female teachers kissing (gasp!) men on TV shows.

Rachel, take heart: Your school district may suck, but all of America (or at least those of us who watched Average Joe) loves you.

04-06-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
A quote from the Journal News article:

Clarkstown schools Superintendent William Heebink said it was unreasonable for Goetz to think she could leave her teaching duties for three weeks.

The leave was denied by the Board of Education, which accepted Goetz's resignation on March 25.

"It would be difficult to operate a school district," Heebink said, "when a teacher or any other employee took three weeks' time whenever there was something of high personal interest to them."

Rachel asked for 3 weeks off of work to pursue personal interests. The school board denied the request. Rachel took the three weeks anyway. She is no longer employed by that school district. I do not see how this has anything to do with her kissing Adam on TV or any "morals issue from 100 years ago". People who take unapproved personal time off work take the risk of losing their job!!

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-07-04, 07:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
You're probably right, but I wonder if she would have took three weeks off to do missionary work in Africa or help sick kids in the hospital if she would have been fired. Possibly not.

It was her choice though, I don't feel sorry for her losing her job. Wasn't that girl from My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee a teacher too ? Teachers are wild these days

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-06-04, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
I like this excerpt better:

Nearly 20 million viewers watched Mesh's heart-broken moment, according to the Reality TV World Web site.

-SB

04-06-04, 05:07 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Oh, I missed that SB, very cool!! Soon you'll be as famous (or infamous) as Adam!

ladro 1168 desperate attention whore postings

04-06-04, 11:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
I think it's great. I wouldn't want my kids taught by someone that was on a Reality TV Dating Show.

fred_garvin 2 desperate attention whore postings

04-07-04, 01:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fred_garvin Click to send private message to fred_garvin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Why bash her for going on the show? As their bracelets say, "YOLO". Rachel is an intelligent, educated woman. I'm sure she will have no problem finding a new position for the next school year.

Helene (Bachelor) also lost her teaching job. She seems to be doing fine these days.

If I had a chance to do something very unusual and interesting in my life, I'd go for it, regardless of having a few problems in my everyday life. The easy thing to do is stick to your routine and pass up the chance.

BrykMantra 49 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-07-04, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrykMantra Click to send private message to BrykMantra Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
This is off the subject, but ...

Hey fred_garvin cool screen name!

I wonder how many people got the SNL reference ... !

---------------------------------------

http://brykmantra.blogspot.com

04-07-04, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ladro Click to send private message to ladro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
None of that changes the fact that *I* would not want someone that was on a Reality TV Dating Show teaching my kids.

pmspml5 3192 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-27-04, 07:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Why?

04-07-04, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail schmoe Click to send private message to schmoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
Perhaps if your qualified your statement more I'd understand, perhaps say:

- "I wouldn't want my kids taught by someone who took 3 weeks off during the school year to appear on a reality tv dating show".

- "I wouldn't want my kids taught by someone who demonstrated poor character on a reality tv dating show". (I don't think this would apply to Rachel as she generally showed good character).

Without such qualifications, I think your statement is unneccesarily judgemental. I see nothing inherent in appearing on a reality tv dating show that makes one a poor teacher.

04-07-04, 01:44 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
My primary objection is the that idea that someone would go on a Reality TV show to find romance is very naive to me. And that it indicates emotional imbalance. Nothing wrong with being emotionally imbalanced, I just won't want such a person teaching my kids.

04-07-04, 02:35 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Rachel is now Unemployed "
To me, this is a non sequitur. It doesn't necessarily follow that someone who appears on a reality dating series is emotionally imbalanced.

KScott 3265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-13-04, 08:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KScott Click to send private message to KScott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Article in People"
Just read the new People and there was an areticle about Adam & Same with a little shot of Rachel. Adam and Sam are moving in together and are happy ordering take out. Rachel said that even though she lost her job she did not regret what she did. She said she had to take the chance, no regrets.

- of course it's a Slicey!

ValenciaJoe 61 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 06:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ValenciaJoe Click to send private message to ValenciaJoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Didn't someone lose their job on Big Brother?"
I know this is off-topic concerning the show, but didn't someone lose their job because they were on Big Brother?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •