The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Christie on welfare?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Locked thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Seabisquit 408 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

06-04-06, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seabisquit Click to send private message to Seabisquit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Christie on welfare?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-04-06 AT 01:47 PM (EST)

I believe it's been close to 10 years when the welfare laws were changed in California. I knew a girl back then who was on public assistance who had one child just about to enter kindergarten. She was offered job training and told she must get work once her child entered school. I think the deal was she could continue to receive food stamps and county medical coverage, but her benefits were to be drastically reduced, if not in time completely eliminated. I know she ended up getting herself pregnant by some clown. Stupid girl. Then a few years back, I ran into her at the grocery store and she was in training to be a checker. At least she ended up helping herself in the end, or was forced to.

My point is, if Piss-T thinks she can live off welfare just because she has Cain living with her, I doubt that's going to happen for long. Besides even if she could stretch what little money she has coming in (the rents in Long Beach can't be cheap) who wants to live that close to poverty or be that poor. especially when she is more than capable of getting a job. Any kind of job.

Cain is not a baby. Piss-T should be working. What kind of example is she setting for this young man? She has this crazy idea that Cain will go to college. Maybe he will, I hope so, but I believe it will take a small miracle and a S#!TLOAD of public donations. That's where the money is going to have to come from.

She's going to be soooooooo sorry someday that she is taking the loser way out.

ETA: Piss-T is living off Cain under the pretense of helping him.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Christie on welfare? maryellennaco 06-04-06 1
 RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-05-06 2
   RE: Is Christie on welfare? BimBo 06-05-06 3
       RE: Is Christie on welfare? BlingBlong 06-05-06 4
   RE: Is Christie on welfare? beckettrep 06-07-06 6
 RE: Is Christie on welfare? slickeronstate 06-05-06 5
 RE: Is Christie on welfare? beckettrep 06-10-06 7
 RE: Is Christie on welfare? JustBNMe 06-10-06 8
   RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-11-06 9
       RE: Is Christie on welfare? Toushay 06-11-06 10
       RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-11-06 11
       RE: Is Christie on welfare? beckettrep 06-11-06 12
           RE: Is Christie on welfare? BimBo 06-11-06 13
           RE: Is Christie on welfare? Toushay 06-11-06 14
               RE: Is Christie on welfare? alaholly 06-11-06 15
                   RE: Is Christie on welfare? Toushay 06-11-06 16
                       RE: Is Christie on welfare? JustBNMe 06-11-06 17
                           RE: Is Christie on welfare? Toushay 06-11-06 18
                               RE: Is Christie on welfare? JustBNMe 06-11-06 21
                                   RE: Is Christie on welfare? Toushay 06-11-06 23
                                       RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-11-06 25
                                       RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-12-06 28
               RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-11-06 20
           RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-11-06 19
               RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-11-06 22
                   RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-11-06 24
                       RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-12-06 26
                           RE: Is Christie on welfare? SeasonedRefinement 06-12-06 30
                               RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-12-06 31
                           RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-12-06 32
                   RE: Is Christie on welfare? SeasonedRefinement 06-12-06 27
                       RE: Is Christie on welfare? sharnina 06-12-06 29
                           RE: Is Christie on welfare? EMTBGRL 06-12-06 33
 Locking - off-topic Bebo 06-12-06 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

maryellennaco 1084 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-04-06, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail maryellennaco Click to send private message to maryellennaco Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
No doubt, she thinks Cain's gonna be her ticket to stardom**cough,cough...
I imagine that since Cain is 13 years old or so, she's only going to get health care coverage and possibly a stipend to take care of the basic necessities... A la pedicures for kids!!
Eerrpp!!!! Don't think she's going to get *rich* by the taxpayers of California. They've already got their hands full with Jill!

sharnina 3075 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-05-06, 00:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Whether or not she is on welfare, she probably receives some sort of foster care monies. Here is an interesting site I found explaining why a blood relative would receive this type of support.

http://www.urban.org/publications/309166.html

Say what you will about Christie, she has taken her brother into her care and that is better than living in a car with his drug addicted mother.

Many of you know that I have been a Christie supporter in the past (I wonder if that's anything like an athletic supporter?). I would like to state that I am disappointed in her actions concerning the ebay business and with the way she has spun her story to make herself look better than she is. I maintain that she is receiving some bad advice along the way. We all know that she is not the brightest bulb in the package and she is easily manipulated. If Jodi is helping her then shame on her. Jodi knows better and is a lot smarter than what she is showing in her ebay actions.

In the course of my life I have discovered that you can only fool people for so long. Lies and insinuation have a way of catching up with you when you least expect it. Christie exposed herself to the public and let us all in on her story. She hasn't fooled the women on this board ('cause you guys are smaht!) but she won't be able to continue to fool the rest of the world for long. Sad.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

BimBo 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

06-05-06, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BimBo Click to send private message to BimBo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
I would be willing to bet that Christy, undoubtedly, is a welfare recipient! She can get it, so why not??? I've never been a welfare recipient so I would'nt know how "hard" it can be to make ends meet that way. ( and I don't want to offend anyone or wander too far off topic, but I certainly know their carts are much fuller than mine at the grocery store!!) Anyhoo, if Christy did have a real job, she'd be telling the world all about it. Christy is too busy hocking junk on e-bay to look for a job and she probably thinks she's above that kinda thing anyway being a big star and all. Not to mention she's a lazy slug who probably just does'nt WANT to get her fat lazy ##### up early in the morning. And like I said before, having Cain would probably qualify her for it, so why not??? (However, the welfare check won't be something you'll read about on her site anywhere.) But the fact still remains that she (presumably) does'nt work and I highly doubt that she's making enough income off e-bay to pay her bills.She must be supplementing it somehow.
Christy has no sense of reality. She is living a fantasy existence that she has created by herself and for herself. However, she will ALWAYS be confirmation that you can take a person out of the slum, but you'll never take the slum out of the person!! (JMHO)

BlingBlong 69 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-06, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BlingBlong Click to send private message to BlingBlong Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-06-06 AT 06:10 PM (EST)

"Christy has no sense of reality. She is living a fantasy existence that she has created by herself and for herself."

That started when she was a child, she never has progressed, even though she may think she has.
She probably doesn't qualify for any assistance for herself, because she can work. Maybe food stamps for a limited time.
With foster care, there is no tax deduction the first year 'cause they have to be in the home an entire year for that. Teenage boys eat all the time. So getting state money helps, but it is not a golden goose egg. More like just a goose egg.

beckettrep 814 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-07-06, 06:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Piss-T may have received bad advice somewhere along the way but that does not excuse what she's doing one bit - she's an adult and as such needs to take responsibility for her actions regardless of what kind of advice she's received in the past. Piss-T is a proverbial sponge and will soak up whatever she can rather than get a real honest to goodness job. What a pity the state didn't move in and take Cain into foster care with 2 stable parents (aka a mother and a father). Living with Piss-T is barely a step above living with his own mother - certainly not enough of an improvement IMHO - I seriously doubt Piss-T is any more capable of caring for Cain than the woman living in the car (who is no mother, again, IMHO.)

slickeronstate 203 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-05-06, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail slickeronstate Click to send private message to slickeronstate Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Notwithstanding his day of beauty - compliments of big sissy (or - is there more to this story? Could Christie be his mom?) - Cain would have a hard time doing homework when the sun goes down in his former abode (ie: the backseat of his druggie mom).

Christie? Get yourself to trade school - at least learn a skill such as cutting hair or washing hair - you are not going to be a model.

Why do these women act so immature. It is like they are suckling Iyanla (literally) when they lie down and bawl their eyes out on her lap - Jill?

06-10-06, 09:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail beckettrep Click to send private message to beckettrep Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
To answer the subject question - I wouldn't be surprised to find out she IS on welfare - typical Piss-T behaviour I might add.

JustBNMe 526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-10-06, 10:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JustBNMe Click to send private message to JustBNMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
The impression I have of her would indicate to me that she would have no problem living off the givernment and making no effort to find and do real work. If nothing else she would be living trying to scam people like she is on ebay and I am sure her lover Jodi is funneling money to her-after all our manly hero Jodi said she'd make sure she and Caine were taken care of.Christie has no incentive to work or do anything of meaning with her life.

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-11-06, 00:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
OK. I have been someone who has posted, repeatedly, that I believe that the women in the SO house needed legitimate training and jobs. I still stand by that belief. Christie is someone that frustrates me, and -honestly? I want to shake her-partly based on my own life experience. I will also add that we are not supposed to bash other posters on this thread. Right? And, I know the intention was to post opinions about welfare recipients directed at Christie's poor life choices.

Now I will admit, I was offended by some of the assumptions and posted stereotypes of all welfare recipients based on Christie's behavior. Sorry for the length of this post, but if it saves some poor (literal and figurative) woman out there this harsh judgement, it will be worth posting. Please take the time to read.

I was on welfare for 8 years. It was not a pleasant chapter in my life. BUT, I had a job the whole time. (I also honestly reported my jobs the whole time) I was on welfare because I had a baby, a deadbeat dad, a medical problem and no health insurance without it (kidney problems), and no extended familial help. I was on my own.

In addition, I am not now, and I was not then "lazy." I used to have to put up with comments made about "those lazy welfare recipients" while in breakrooms at my JOB! (That's where Christie and I are very, very different.) As I am sure you can imagine, those comments really stung! It was embarrassing, but sometimes I would ask someone speaking on the issue, "Do you think you would recognize a welfare recipient if you met one?" and they would say, "Absolutely."
I would say, "Are there any in this room?"
and they would scoff and say, "No"
and I would ask, "How do you know?"
They'd usually say something about how we were all hard workers at work and not lazy/stupid/on drugs/smart etc. etc. and I would say, "I'm on welfare."
I'd be accused of lying.
I'd show them my state ID card and food stamps.
I got shunned. I went from "esteemed coworker" to "welfare recipient."
That stung, too.
Be careful about who is a "welfare recipient." There could be one in your breakroom at work.

While I was on welfare, whatever money I made at work was subtracted from other benefits. Honestly? I would have had more money if I did NOT work, and that is a shame! That was one of the biggest problems with the old system. When I went off welfare? I was poorer than when I was on it (even with a job) at first, because I had no medical insurance. (This was before any state sponsored health insurance that was not Medicaid.)

Lest anyone judge me, The truth? If my daughter's father did ANYTHING (not just limited to paying child support) I would not have been on welfare. The people who make the laws for child support often have a child somewhere they aren't interested in paying for. That's the real tragedy here. I was the --everything--for my daughter, even when I was sick. It's not easy to push yourself through massive kidney infections (very painful) to make dinner for your toddler. Her father? Never babysat let alone paid support. Who's the person that should be judged? I do not believe it was me. He was never on welfare. In my opinion, he is the one with less moral character, not more.

As for all the typical stereotypes? I had one child. I am white. (most welfare recipients in this country are) I was NEVER on drugs (still not). I did not drink (still don't). I have never smoked cigarettes in my life. I did not sell food stamps for anything. I am an honest person. Every time I went off welfare benefits? Medical problem ate up my savings. I ended up back on them. "Extra" money I saved? went to an education. (I now have a Master's degree, and have two jobs.)

I have learned from my experience not to judge others without knowing their whole story, and even then---I ask, "Is there any way I could help this situation?" My answer was to fight for stricter child support legislation and help put more health insurance availability for the poor in place.

Of course, I don't see Christie doing either. That's why I want to SHAKE HER!

As for "They have more in their grocery carts than me" You have no idea if they had a birthday and someone gave them some money and they decided to buy some vegetables and fruit (more expensive than fat and sugar) and it's embarrassing to go shopping because of the other shoppers looking at what's in your cart, and the comments, and the cashier's comments about what you are buying. I did not want my daughter to suffer nutritionally because we were poor. You have no idea what other things I cut out of our lives so that we could eat correctly. It also kept me healthier longer.

One of the most embarrassing moments of my life? I debated about whether or not to treat my daughter to a store bought cake for her birthday. I counted food stamps, and pushed the cart up and down the aisle debating. I wanted to cry. Nobody knew that. I felt it, but I didn't cry publicly. I knew that I couldn't afford a store bought cake. I knew how badly she wanted one. I put some things back (for me). I decided to buy the cake for her. I talked myself into it, because we had so little. I knew how much joy this one thing would give her. I carefully picked out a store bought cake in the plastic container. I wheeled it to the checkout. I unloaded my meager groceries onto the belt. The carefully counted amount of groceries. It was time to pay. I took out my State ID. The cashier held up the cake and said, "Do you really need THIS?" and shoved it at me. I nodded. I knew it was for my daughter. "A mix is cheaper" she said. I said, quietly, "I know." She made that scoffing sound. I paid with food stamps. As I was leaving, my cashier and the one next to her discussed me, loudly, "I bet she eats better than me." and "It's nice to know where my TAX money is going" and "I wonder if she sold the rest of the food stamps for drugs."

In order, I did not eat better than them. I was malnourished and underweight at the time.
I had a job, and paid taxes, too.
I have never sold food stamps nor done drugs in my life.

In my state, they did an investigation of people "cheating the system" They paid 3 million dollars to catch frauds. They caught three people. Two doctors and a nursing home administrator that were billing Medicaid for tests that had never happened.

Why isn't that discussed more? It should be! I now ask to see ALL my medical bills as itemized. Everyone should. That's what I learned from that exercise.

I hope Christie isn't using Medicaid or anything like to pay for her liposuction or plastic surgery. She's not a burn victim for Pete's sake. She's a lazy woman unwilling to exercise for a better body, let alone WORK!

Even if she IS on welfare, I do NOT equate myself in the ranks of Christie. Nope. Not at any point in my life. Not even while I was on welfare (and working.)

Toushay 50 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-06, 00:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Toushay Click to send private message to Toushay Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
EMTBGRL I totally agree with you that SO should have made each HG COMPLETE some kind of job training, even if only learning how to type and use the computer. That component of "starting over" was vastly missing.

I also have overheard such talk about welfare and food stamp recipients. Maybe it's just human nature to speculate and assume to know what everybody else is doing. No one knows what Christie or any of the women are doing except themselves.

What you see here is venting, creative expression, and games. That's all. But then people add in their own stories. And some are very touching and sad, or encouraging.

Surely there are many stories similar to yours where people have worked hard to improve their lives and be independent.

Hasn't welfare been replaced by workfare in most states now? Where if you don't get a job you lose benefits?

Disability is another matter, and pray you never need it.

We all know government waste is huge, your fraud example proves it! And you are so right about the deadbeat dads in this country. I think they should owe the state not the ex, to take the anger out of some of it, why they don't pay. It's a giant problem everywhere. Women and children suffer because men bow out and get away with it, and make more children.

Which brings me back to the beginning...may I repeat please...I totally agree with you that SO should have made each HG COMPLETE some kind of job training, even if only learning how to type and use the computer. To tell women everywhere, learn something that you can carve out a life with!

06-11-06, 02:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
EMTBGRL - I wanna be just like you when I grow up.

You know that you I share similar stories of single parenthood. I was also on welfare and lived in government housing for 3 years. I did this in order to go to school and finish the degree that I had abandoned when I got pregnant with my daughter. The degree I was pursuing - Music Education - was not conducive to night classes so I had to take classes during the day in order get the work done. So I quit working, found a Section 8 apartment complex (a very scary place) and went on welfare.

Myth-busters about welfare: Many people do not know that you cannot buy any non-food items with food stamps. That means no toilet paper, laundry detergent, soap, tampons, shampoo, paper towels, plastic wrap, foil, ziploc bags, light bulbs - well, I think you get the picture. Those items come out of your welfare check.

I recieved $279 per month for myself and my daughter. My rent was $50/month and my phone was about $35/month. Fuel for my car was about $40/month (wish I could say that now). That left about $150/month for any of the other things you can think of that need to be budgeted for. I had people approach me on food stamp day (at the mail box) offering to sell me their foodstamps for cash. I always refused this.

I can only agree with EMTBGRL that we can never really understand something until we have experienced it ourselves. Welfare has changed since either of us were on it and I hope it is for the better. I have much more sympathy for the woman ahead of me who is trying to sort out her food so she can pay for some things with WIC (another nightmare that has to be lived to be believed) and some things with food stamps and some things with what little cash she has.

Christie? who knows if she is on welfare? I certainly don't know. I stated above that she may very well receive foster care monies which is not based on income. If she is receiving that kind of money I hope she is truly using it to care for Cain. He deserves better than what he had with his mother.

"...Life isn't like a box of chocolates.... it's more like a jar
of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow."

06-11-06, 02:05 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
I can understand the cashier's attitude - I was once a cashier and a whole lot of people on welfare, with food stamps, DID eat better than me. And a lot of their dogs did too. When they realized they couldn't buy dog food their dogs got to eat steak and they weren't too ashamed to say so. I, on the other had, raised a child with a dead-beat dad too - worked two jobs and no welfare, no food stamps, no medical insurance - just two jobs that barely paid the bills - so, yes, when I was cashiering it DID upset me to see people feeding their dogs steak and paying for it with food stamps. They also bought all brand name items - they were too good for generic - especially the pregnant teen-agers getting their WIC checks - nope, nothing generic - not once did I see them buy a 5 lb. bag of potatoes when it was on sale for .99 - but they sure bought a lot of frozen french fries. I'm sure many did shop more economically and try to stetch their food stamp dollar but unfortunately I think the vast majority could have cared less about shopping wisely and stretching their buck. You shouldn't be judged harshly but you should realize you were the exception not the rule - I think that's why people on welfare are judged so harshly - because MOST, but certainly not ALL, deserve it.

BimBo 63 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-06, 07:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BimBo Click to send private message to BimBo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Beck-the french fry/potatoe thing?? 2 funny!! As a former cashier, I'm sure there is no end to the stories you could tell us in reference to this subject. Thats a job that must require some patience I would think!!
Just last week (TRUE STORY!!) I was at the grocery store...the woman (a well dressed one at that),in front of me whipped out the food stamps to "buy" her food. She then whipped out a wad of cash she used to pay for 2 bottles of vodka and 3 packs of ciggarettes. Is this someone I'm supposed to have sympathy for?? I don't think so!! And I have none for christy either. She IS a lazy scam artist trying to make money any way she can without having to get off the couch to earn it. And yes, I agree that NOT all welfare recipients deserve to be stereotyped. There are exceptions to every rule. However, Christy is not one of them. Being FAT is not a disability...she wasn't born with an a$$ that big, she grew it all by herself.
And who knows, maybe she ISN'T on welfare, but she certainly epitomizes the stereotype that a lot of us "workin folk" have come to associate with it. JMHO!!

06-11-06, 08:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Toushay Click to send private message to Toushay Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
I never was a cashier, so I can't speak to that. I have been a shopper. Once a food stamper was ahead of me, had a full cart, and a wad of money like I have never seen that she pulled out to buy non-stamp items with. I admit I wondered where that came from, and with that kind of cash why they had food stamps. But again, as I think of it today, I had no clue about their lives. Maybe that was their just cashed monthly check and she was happy and stupid to show it? I don't know. Of course I thought the worst, they must be selling drugs...

As for brand names, they do look better and with coupons and sales, can be cheaper than generic. There was a time once where I was in "a pickle" and had to get food from my church a couple times. I vowed then and there that in the future I would always donate brand names and luxury items to food banks. Does buying generic mean you are less of a person? I thought generics were there for saving money and helping the ecology because there is cheaper packaging. The food all comes from the same factories. I toured a grape juice facility, they went from one name brand to another on the same line. There might be small differences in the ingredients in some cases.

Teenagers getting pregnant, buying and eating french fries while pregnant, shopping unwisely? They have not been taught much.

To judge MOST people on welfare? Anytime you have a government program, there are those who know how to "work the system". That gets into things so far off this topic.

Christie is able bodied, she can work. She might be working. Once again, this is all speculation. Foster care money goes for shelter, food, school, clothing, expenses for the kids. It is not that much money these days.

Is Christie on welfare? I have no clue, nor does it matter to me. I know if she is, there are agencies watching over her and Cain. There is a child involved, I wish her well and a better future.

alaholly 497 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

06-11-06, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail alaholly Click to send private message to alaholly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Thanks to all who shared their stories. I think most of us have been through difficult times at some point in our lives. And hopefully that gives us the understanding and compassion to not judge others. As the story about the birthday cake in the checkout line so beautifully illustrates, you never know the whole story.

However with Christie, we do know much of her story as she has chosen to put the details of her life on television. She has shown herself to be a person who IS lazy (even Rhonda has said as much), doesn't know HOW to work hard and chooses not to educate herself. She didn't even follow through on her dream of being a model (however unrealistic it was) because after one session (arranged for her by others) it was just "too hard."

Her one big assignment on Starting Over, the big 5K Race, was mostly pre-arranged and even still, she had so many people helping her and doing most of the work. And now after all she learned on SO (!) she is insulting all serious people who work for a living by announcing she will support herself AND her brother by selling cheap junk on line. I bet that wasn't even her idea.

I too want to shake her and tell her to get a job, a real job. She is exactly the type of person who gives welfare recipients OR those who actually work for a living a bad name.

06-11-06, 11:14 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
"However with Christie, we do know much of her story as she has chosen to put the details of her life on television." - I have to wonder if she actually chose to be on this show, or if in her retarded state of emotional development, she was driven there by Rhonda, to help sell Rhonda's book. I wonder how she first got in contact with Rhonda, how they connected.

We only know a teeny tiny bit about Christie or the others, and then only what the editors put on the air for us to speculate about. According to various articles about the show and previous HG blogs, they had absolutely no say in what was aired, and we only saw a miniscule amount of what went on in the house.

The modeling assignment probably really deflated her ego and took the air out of that dream, and that is good for her. Because it was so far out of line with reality. Very very few women can be successful models.

The 5K just showed how little either being on SO or in Rhonda's book helped Christie with life. From what little we were allowed to see, that is. Planning an event for 50 people is not that big of a deal.

"announcing she will support herself AND her brother by selling cheap junk on line" - did Christie actually say this? When? -There's a big difference between support and augment.

"As the story about the birthday cake in the checkout line so beautifully illustrates, you never know the whole story." - Yes, indeed.

I still say Christie remains stuck in the mind of herself as a child, abandoned, helpless, and unable to know where to go. At least she is trying something positive. Maybe people should bombard her with helpful advice based on their own experiences.

06-11-06, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JustBNMe Click to send private message to JustBNMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Rhonda did not "drive" Christie to the show. Rhonda had already started her book and was almost done with it when Christie came on the show. None of the LC's have any say as to who does or does not appear on the show. Neither Rhonda, Rhonda's books or Dr. Stan or Iyanla and their books or help can help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Christie was given ample opportunity to make her life better (she was in the house for a long long time) and she chose not to learn what was being shown to her. People can "bombard" her with all kinds of advice and helpful hints and tips and she is bound and determined to do things her way which is why she is no better off than she was years ago except that maybe now she is not abusing drugs and alcohol. She may not be using but her mindset is the same. She needs to grow up and act her age, quit hiding behind her endless excuses and make an honest living like most adults do. As for what she says and does.... my take on that is actions speak louder than words and we saw her on the show and they can't edit everything to make it all look different from how it happened. I was in on one of Rhonda's member calls with Christie and she was still not exibiting the characteristics of someone who truly changed their life and there was no editing going on during that call it was live and all Christie.

06-11-06, 02:14 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
LAST EDITED ON 06-11-06 AT 06:24 PM (EST)

Obviously you have "real insider" information here.

Still, Christie was in Rhonda's book and the book had to be either finished or almost done by the time Christie arrived in real time. Or, Rhonda slapped that book together in record time over the holidays. Christie was out of the house (in real time (1-9-06), not TV time) way before the book went to stores (3-2-06). Are you saying she put her in as an afterthought example pulled from the show like Sommer?

Just such a preplanned coincidence that body issues came up to a TV time peak just when R's book was coming out. Out of thousands of wanna-bees Christie made the show. And the book.

There was an article published regarding this season that put the controls into the LC's hands so they could get what they wanted on the show. I don't remember where it was, but it was posted here several times.

06-11-06, 05:16 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Rhonda's book did not go to press on March 2, 2006. The book was on book shelves March 2, 2006 so it was done well before then. Rhonda was proofreading and editing the book during the late Summer and early Fall according to what she said on Member Calls. I don't think she would lie about that nor would she have reason to. I would also believe what Rhonda and the casting directors say over what an article says as far as who has the say about which person is picked to be on SO. The casting directors do the interviewing and the casting. I have said on other posts that I personally went to a casting call not that far from my home just to see what happened and what papers they make people sign etc. So yes if you want to say I have " real insider information" then I guess I do since I have talked with the casting people and with Rhonda as opposed to those who simply surmise things. When Christie left the house in real time has no bearing on her being in the book. The fact is that Rhonda had already met her and easily added parts about her after the initial draft of the book was done. It's not like the book chronicles Christie's journey in the SOH it merely mentions some things about her. There have been numerous HG on the show that have had body image issues so Christie is not unique. Back to the topic of is Chrisite on welfare....when it comes down to it does it really matter? It's up to her to either use what she was shown while in the SOH or not. Again from what I heard from Christie's own mouth she didn't retain much of it nor is she truly using it to the extent she could. The bottom line is her lack of motivation and lack of supporting herself doesn't change my life because I am doing just fine and dandy and have no trouble looking people in the eye because I know I am not scamming them or the governemtn and I am being the best me I can be and I am happy with who I am. If Christie wants to do nothing with her life that is her choice and if she chooses to be self supporting and the best she can be then all the better.

06-11-06, 05:35 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
What an article says is about on par with what the show showed us as far as truth.

Rhonda did make a public plea for people to order her book by early Feb, because that is when the press order had to go in; it had not been sent to press by then so she had plenty of time to update after Christie's visit.

"if she chooses to be self supporting and the best she can be then all the better." - we agree on this point.

Like John Wayne said in a lot of his movies..."nothing you can say or do (will make me change my mind)"

Nice discussion today everyone!

A little brain food!

06-11-06, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
>What an article says is about
>on par with what the
>show showed us as far
>as truth.
>
>Rhonda did make a public plea
>for people to order her
>book by early Feb, because
>that is when the press
>order had to go in;
>it had not been sent
>to press by then so
>she had plenty of time
>to update after Christie's visit.
>
Rhonda is as snarky (imho) as Christie is lazy. Rhonda's perspective? Why edit out the snark??
>
>"if she chooses to be self
>supporting and the best she
>can be then all the
>better." - we agree on
>this point.

Yes, yes we do!!
>
>Like John Wayne said in a
>lot of his movies..."nothing you
>can say or do (will
>make me change my mind)"

John Wayne?? *swoon!*
>
>
>Nice discussion today everyone!
>
>A little brain food!

Mmmmmmm -- brain food! (a la Homer Simpson, just for a laugh.)

06-12-06, 01:36 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Rhonda did make a public plea for people to order her book by early Feb, because that is when the press order had to go in; it had not been sent to press by then so she had plenty of time to update after Christie's visit.

Not quite how publishing works. They don't take the orders first and then go to press. It takes one to two months after you place the order with the printer before you get books like Rhonda's unless they are doing print-on-demand.

Hubby worked in a publishing house for 4 years as lead graphic designer. They published adult non-fiction, self-help books much like Rhonda's.

Hubby says if the book was on the shelves in early March it was probably sent to the printer by sometime in December or early January.

JFYI

06-11-06, 04:14 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
>Teenagers getting pregnant, buying and eating
>french fries while pregnant, shopping
>unwisely? They have not
>been taught much.
>
>And Christie does not seem to be well equipped to teach Cain the "ways of the world" that's for darn tootin' sure!

The "they have not been taught much" did get to me. Unfortunately, you are correct. It hurts, but you are right.

Since a lot of us on this thread are parents, I will admit something. I was a pregnant teenager because I was not taught something. I was not taught that going to a boy's dorm room alone was a bad idea, no matter what the pretense. I was sheltered enough to really believe that when he asked, "Why don't we study in my room?" meant just like what it sounded like. I didn't know that he might have other ideas behind closed doors. I was excited about English. He claimed to be bad at it and need my help. I was an honor's student. He wasn't. I looked forward to sharing my excitement about my new college course (my freshman year) with a new student (hoping to make a new friend away from home.) He had other ideas. Nine months later? I had a child. I am also living proof that it does only take once to get pregnant. That's how I ended up on welfare. Date rape.

I never make assumptions about other people knowing this about myself. Oh, and I did eat french fries. I didn't know any better. My parents were midwesterners. French fries and tater tots were staple foods in our house growing up. I thought "lime jello" was its own food group.

(I'm blonde. But, I've gotten smarter!)

That said, Christie is in NO WAY prepared to teach Cain ANYThing. I can tell that, too.

06-11-06, 03:49 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
When they realized
>they couldn't buy dog food
>their dogs got to eat
>steak and they weren't too
>ashamed to say so.

There is no excuse for people who can't afford to feed themselves to have animals, too. I am with you on that one!

>I, on the other had,
>raised a child with a
>dead-beat dad too - worked
>two jobs and no welfare,
>no food stamps, no medical
>insurance - just two jobs
>that barely paid the bills

Were you healthy the entire time? physically, mentally, or otherwise? Did you have other "back-up" support or familial help? I have found that these things matter, too. I did not. Nothing like one week in the hospital without insurance to eat up your meagre savings, put you in poor house and lose your crappy job that you needed.

I am doing what you did now--with no help or governmental assistance. (EMT's are far from wealthy people, just like anyone else in any entry level service position.) With the way my health was back then? That just simply was not possible. Again, the entire time I was on welfare? I also had a job. Sometimes I had two. I also lived in one of the most expensive areas of the country, because it was where I was from, and didn't have the money to move, and that's where my doctor was.

>- so, yes, when I
>was cashiering it DID upset
>me to see people feeding
>their dogs steak and paying
>for it with food stamps.

As well it should have upset you. It would have upset me, too.

> They also bought all
>brand name items - they
>were too good for generic

That's just silly. Besides, generic is usually a better quality because the stores don't want to put their names on crap.

>- especially the pregnant teen-agers
>getting their WIC checks -

I was a pregnant 19-year-old, and I never signed up for WIC. I decided to use the government as little as possible. One office was abusive enough.

> I'm sure many did
>shop more economically and try
>to stetch their food stamp
>dollar

Yes, and we often went shopping together.

but unfortunately I think
>the vast majority could have
>cared less about shopping wisely
>and stretching their buck.

My experience is that is incorrect. My experience is that the honest welfare recipients (and there are many of them) care very much about shopping wisely and stretching their buck.

>You shouldn't be judged harshly
>but you should realize you
>were the exception not the
>rule -

Again, my experience is that there were more women with children on welfare that were like Sharnina and me, than the con artists that you witnessed. It's the con artists that you remember.

I will acknowledge my own frustration of knowing that there were other welfare recipients that WERE home turning tricks and selling drugs and NOT reporting their "income" to the welfare office. They were not reporting their brand new BMW sitting in their driveway. But, I was reporting my crappy 1979 falling apart Buick Regal and that was considered an "asset" and so I got less to eat because I had a barely running crappy car to get me to my equally crappy job (which I also reported.) I knew that there were welfare moms that used the new sugar daddies in the Section 8 housing project to get them to buy whatever they wanted. These dads turned around by saying they couldn't pay child support for ALL of their children in return.

These people INFURIATED me. Some of them approached me, and when they realized I was honest and on the up and up, they left me completely alone. I'm sure Sharnina knows what I mean.

THEY are the "exception." They are NOT the rule!

It is true, if I could do it over again? I would probably try to do it without welfare assistance. Then again, I could also be dead. (no adequate medical care.) The welfare to workfare as someone mentioned? Good idea--in theory. In actuality? The five years lifetime limit of assistance has two problems:
1. What if the reason they are eligible for assistance doesn't change in that amount of time? (Medical, for example.)
2. What if the person on welfare, like me, was already working and reporting income? Getting a job changes nothing. This assumes welfare recipients are not working.
The last problem?
Make no mistake! There is BIG business in poverty. Welfare offices do not actually WANT welfare recipients OFF of welfare! (That would mean they would have to find jobs, too, remember.) One you are on "the system" it's HARD to get off without being poorer for awhile.

It's definitely not a perfect system. Nobody knows that better than me! (and Sharnina, and anyone else who's been honest and been there) Then again, I thank my lucky stars that we live in the United States of America where we HAVE such a system, any system like this. Without it? I would have starved and likely could have died. I got off welfare. I am a positive contributing member of society. I believe my death would have been a huge loss to the world (as I believe about most people) and I do not believe that someone's poverty is a reason to judge them.

I believe someone's CHARACTER is what to judge them by. If someone is buying steak to feed their dog. By all means, be angry. Just don't pass that anger onto the next welfare recipient that is buying a store bought birthday cake assuming they are the same. That's all I ask.

Fair enough?

I think that's
>why people on welfare are
>judged so harshly - because
>MOST, but certainly not ALL,
>deserve it.

06-11-06, 05:20 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
You're my hero.

06-11-06, 09:24 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
>You're my hero.
>
Ummm...ummm *blushes* ummmm...

What can I possibly say to that, besides, "thank you?"

How about -- a cake?

WOW!! am I impressed with your work! (How DID you learn that?!)

(virtual cake acceptable.) ;)

To be fair, you are often my hero on this thread, too.

06-12-06, 01:05 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
No more store bought cakes for you, missy.

But since you asked... Get out a notepad and a pen Christie -

I invested about $150 and 12 weeks and took classes at my local craft store and promptly got a job teaching cake decorating classes for said craft store. Hmmmm... surely it can't be that simple.

Honestly, it may not be the way to support a family on your own but I was gainfully employed and contributed to my family income.

SeasonedRefinement 1248 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-06, 02:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SeasonedRefinement Click to send private message to SeasonedRefinement Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Oh Shari! Did you HAVE to do that? There is nothing in the house to munch on except pretzels and poptarts...and then you put THAT up!!! I can almost taste that chocolate! It's beautiful - too pretty to eat (but I would anyway, lol).

I have to say, Christie would get a lot more respect (and $)if she'd follow your lead on this one. Her blessing candles? It's time to blow them out once and for all, and call it a day.

06-12-06, 02:44 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
LOL - you can share with EMTBGRL - that is if she's willing.

06-12-06, 06:01 AM (EST)
32. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
>No more store bought cakes for
>you, missy.
>

*EMTBGRL sits down with plate and fork and tries not to drool on the LOVELY cake!!!*

(PS-That store bought cake was for my daughter. This one? MINE! all MINE!) Aww, shucks, I'll share *looks down* Hey, SR, want some? Oh, and Sharnina -- you first! Anyone else? It's a SO thread PARTY! Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....strawberries and chocolate, *tips head back and makes Homer Simpson aaaaaaa sounds* looks around SO thread, "a-hem" all righty then, and a 1 and a 2 ---Dig in!!"

TRULY STUNNING!! Thank you!!

>
>But since you asked... Get out
>a notepad and a pen
>Christie -
>
>I invested about $150 and 12
>weeks and took classes at
>my local craft store and
>promptly got a job teaching
>cake decorating classes for said
>craft store. Hmmmm... surely it
>can't be that simple.
>
>Honestly, it may not be the
>way to support a family
>on your own but I
>was gainfully employed and contributed
>to my family income.
>
>
> "...Life isn't like a
>box of chocolates.... it's more
>like a jar
>of jalapenos. What you do today,
>might burn your butt tomorrow."
>

SeasonedRefinement 1248 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-06, 01:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SeasonedRefinement Click to send private message to SeasonedRefinement Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Wow, interesting stuff on this thread!

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I think we all appreciate the posters who are willing to share their personal experiences as they relate to these discussions. It really moves us beyond speculation and into a place of reality.

To the ladies who took the time to recount some of the bleakest days of your lives, I'd like to say thank you. This is a message board, and it is so easy to keep our secrets off the screen. I know our identities are hidden, and unless we divulge them, they stay hidden. But it still takes considerable courage to share the more private parts of ourselves.

I'm sorry that a few of you have been treated badly by people who have no bearing on your lives. Needing assistance from the government is no shame - being a career dependent is a different thing altogether. Career dependents aren't walking the aisles of grocery stores agonizing over the purchase of a birthday cake for their daughters. If they have a daughter, her birthday cake really isn't a huge concern. Nobody wants to feel belittled or shamed by their peers, and the fact that several of you have endured that type of discomfort because you love and care for your children responsibly (and as lavishly as possible) is a testament to what decent people you really are. You did not, and do not, owe any explanation of your circumstances to anyone other than the government agents who processed your claims. The clerks who abused and embarrassed you may one day find themselves understanding the situation from a less haughty position, and I think they may alter their opinions considerably. I'm afraid you ladies have suffered a displaced backlash that is really aimed at welfare abusers. I've worked with the system abusers, and the most difficult thing to listen to is their contempt for the system that gives them assistance to live, eat, and receive medical care. Too many have laughed about how easy it is to pull a con or rip the government off. You are not those people.

The fact is, rich, poor, or middle class, we are all human. With the exception of a very few, we just aren't guaranteed that the lifestyle we enjoy today will be the lifestyle we will enjoy next year - not really. None of us knows what could be coming down the pike tomorrow or next week. Any disaster could change our circumstances, our opinions, and our pride, overnight.

I don't know if Christie is on welfare. It's probably reasonable to believe that she is getting some kind of assistance for assuming guardianship of her brother. I think we would all love to hear, for his sake if not for Christie's, that she had stopped with the futile money making efforts, rejoined society, and gotten a full-time job. Who knows what will become of them?

06-12-06, 01:40 AM (EST)
29. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
Okay, I now officially have two heroes.

06-12-06, 06:07 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Is Christie on welfare?"
>Okay, I now officially have two
>heroes.
>
>Who love your cake!!
(Can't talk, eating! How you doin' with yours there, SR?)

And, can we hear an AMEN to the part of SR's post about how certain judgmental people might have the ability one-day to find our side of the fence? (not that I am wishing this on them, mind you)

AND, yes, I would like to hear that Christie got a full-time job that doesn't have anything to do with trinkets and e-bay. (I have no problem with e-bay as an avocation or for extra $$ but when it is an excuse to self-support, that's a problem imho)
>>

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-12-06, 06:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "Locking - off-topic"
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-06 AT 06:36 AM (EST)

This forum is for discussing the show and its participants. To discuss general topics and disuss personal experiences, we have an off-topic forum. This thread has gone way off-topic, since posters are more interested in sharing their own personal testimonials instead of keeping the discussion about the show.

And don't bother emailing or PMing me to open this thread back up. The answer's no.

Unlock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •