The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

pmfmpls 149 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-28-06, 11:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
smokes cigarettes??? I was shocked to see her smoking after her meeting with the love addiction counselor (who was great, BTW).

At this point, I don't believe a single word she said about her athletic past....

Like so many of the HGs...total BS!!!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... DedeV 04-28-06 1
 RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... Twinkles 04-28-06 2
   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... pmfmpls 04-29-06 3
       RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... Snidget 04-29-06 8
   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... 26mitogo 04-29-06 4
 RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... msbehavin 04-29-06 5
   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... PanchoVilla 04-29-06 6
       RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... sharnina 04-29-06 7
           RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... pmfmpls 04-29-06 9
       RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... msbehavin 04-29-06 10
           RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... jndinc1 04-29-06 11
               RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... VelvetElegance 04-29-06 12
                   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... EMTBGRL 04-30-06 13
               RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... 26mitogo 04-30-06 14
               RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... msbehavin 04-30-06 15
                   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... PanchoVilla 05-01-06 16
                   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... jndinc1 05-01-06 17
 RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... flower2 05-01-06 18
   RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... Zoey 05-01-06 19
       RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete... EMTBGRL 05-01-06 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DedeV 155 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-06, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DedeV Click to send private message to DedeV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
I was shocked to see her smoking too. Maybe it was something she picked up after moving into the house?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Twinkles 324 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-28-06, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Twinkles Click to send private message to Twinkles Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
...a self-destructive, self-sabotaging one who feels stressed. Athletic doesn't mean perfect in character.

04-29-06, 00:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pmfmpls Click to send private message to pmfmpls Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
I am not referring to cognitive or psychological character. An athlete generally values health and physical performance. The risks of cigarette smoking are especially obvious, I would think.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-29-06, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
In the general case I would agree with you, but some people start smoking and get addicted even if they are athletic.

Some people smoke to self-medicate. Yep, the correct medication for their issues may be healthier, but once you get started it can be very hard to quit when used this way.

It generally takes awhile of smoking before you would notice any decrease in performance and by that time many people are far too hooked to quit.

26mitogo 493 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-29-06, 01:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 26mitogo Click to send private message to 26mitogo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
Was the 1st question on the SO application: Do you smoke? Yes___ No___
If your answer is yes, you qualify for this year's SOH!!!

Sure seem there are a LOT of smokers this year. Disappointing. And they've B-A-R-E-L-Y spoken about it on SO. We talk about food, alcohol, love addictions ... what's up with not even mentioning the smoking thing. Especially since there are so many this year. Dissappointing to see Niambi abusing her body with something so vile since it served her very well for so long. Could be one of those former athletes who are so afraid of becoming fat after they quit their sport so they begin smoking thinking it will keep the weight off. Saddly, it does for a while but then your body becomes tolerant, usually returning to where you began ... and you're left with a nasty, smelly, deadly habit.

And by the way, to whomever questioned that Niambi was ever the athlete she claimed ... she definitely was. She isn't competing anymore but she was VERY talented. Won national & world competitions, don't remember which year she went to Olympics, is listed as one of the All Time top female athletes ever in track & field. Works for me.

msbehavin 69 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-29-06, 10:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail msbehavin Click to send private message to msbehavin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
It looks to me like she's kinda new at the whole smoking thing. If you watch closely, you'll see she's not inhaling any smoke AT ALL. She takes a drag, holds the smoke in her mouth for a split-second, then quickly spews it out instead of sucking it into her lungs. Watch the exhale: nothing comes out. I was LOL watching her try to smoke that thing. As an ex-smoker, it's obvious to me that she doesn't normally smoke, and is either doing so out of boredom or some pathetic need to fit in with this bunch. I hope she comes to her senses before her technique starts to improve.

PanchoVilla 39 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-29-06, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PanchoVilla Click to send private message to PanchoVilla Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
I am an ex smoker too and thought the same thing.. I thought Kim had a very bizarre way of smoking. She looked like she was afraid to put the think on her lips..It just made me see how dumb it looks anyway.. I think Miambi is really beat up, she just looks tired. Sice theres no alcohol what else is there to do? I would probably start smoking again too!!

sharnina 3075 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-29-06, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sharnina Click to send private message to sharnina Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-06 AT 06:56 PM (EST)

Yep, ex-smoker here too and I noticed the same thing - suck on cig, immediately blow out a cloud of smoke. For those of you that don't know - if you actually inhale the smoke into your lungs it's there for at least a few seconds and then when you exhale it comes out in very smooth stream of smoke not a big cloud.

She's not a smoker and she needs to stop that while she can.

ETA - kinda like Bill Clinton - "Yes, I smoked marijuana, but I never inhaled.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

04-29-06, 03:27 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
You know, I wouldn't put it past the big cheeses at SO to script that for her....
I pity her. She sure doesn't need another addiction (in addition to the relationship addiction).

04-29-06, 08:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail msbehavin Click to send private message to msbehavin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-29-06 AT 08:18 PM (EST)

Oh, I'm glad someone else noticed Kim's smoking, too. Pancho, you hit the nail on the head when you said she looked like she was afraid of it! She would squint her eyes and hold her breath in between drags and she always held the cig way out from her body like the smoke was bothering her. She inhaled, but just barely. Too funny!

Edited: Typo

jndinc1 37 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-06, 09:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jndinc1 Click to send private message to jndinc1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
I was going to start a post about these "smokers", too. As some of you above, I am an ex-smoker too, and smokers or ex-smokers can spot wannabes a mile away. Not like it's anything to want to be, but it seems as soon as someone starts out in the SO house, they pick up that habit.

I noticed immediately that Niambi does not inhale, and yes, I noticed Kim as well. She always looked so stiff and uncomfortable with what she was doing. Another thing I notice about these smoker posers is how they hold the cigarette. They hold their cigarettes rigidly between two perfectly straight fingers like they're afraid the cigarette is going to fall. From my experience, seasoned smokers hold their cigarettes between two relaxed and slightly bent fingers and actually let go of the cigarette when they take a drag.

I don't know why I went into such detail for this, but these people on the show that pick up the habit because other people are smoking are getting on my nerves. It's like they're doing it to be "cool". I guess when you're in the SO house and you have nothing to do but sit around and talk about your issues, you're bound to pick up some habit like that just to have something else to do.

VelvetElegance 72 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-06, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VelvetElegance Click to send private message to VelvetElegance Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
You guys are good. I noticed Niambi smoking but as a non-smoker I didn't pick up on her newbie mannerisms..which brings me to another point. With Starting Over's obsessive focus on love and food relationships, you would think the obvious thing to spend more time on would be the thing that's WAY more damaging to the body and that would be smoking..That house is like one big smoking section at a restaurant and yet with the exception of Maureen in the first season, smoking is NEVER mentioned. Makes you wonder if it's intentional. The way they love to assign everybody in that house as some sort of addict..food..love..alcohol..drug ect, you'd think, they might suggest to these ladies the health risks associated with sucking on cancer sticks...

go figure.

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-30-06, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
The way they love to assign everybody
>in that house as some
>sort of addict..food..love..alcohol..drug ect, you'd
>think, they might suggest to
>these ladies the health risks
>associated with sucking on cancer
>sticks...
>
>go figure.

Go figure, indeed!

The teens that hang around my daughter's high school smoking now are referred to by the non-smoking teens as "The Cancer Club." It's a new clique. Not one I'd want to be in--- But, at least they really ARE smokers. I agree that Niambi does NOT appear to be a real-life smoker. I can't help but wonder if she was ASSIGNED to be a smoker?? That would be weird..but not out-of-the-question for television wanting to appear "real." (You know, "we've had x # women on the show, so x # of women SHOULD smoke.) Gives me pause. I hope that is NOT the case!

-- There was a time when it was common to see movie stars smoking in a movie. That time has passed. I can't think of any other TV shows right now that portray so many smokers...not as just a habit, or in a positive light, or as part of a plot ("Dad can't know I smoke"). SO seems to not care that it is displaying the same behavior that went out with the smoking movie stars decades ago.

Now, I know that people smoke. I just question why this show feels the need to SHOW the HG's smoking. (Edited in.) Are there any cigarette companies sponsoring this program? (just curious) How about companies that own tobacco stocks?

Tidbit: I just read in a fitness magazine that "a stressful love relationship taxes the physical body just as much as smoking three packs of cigarettes a day!" --Maybe Niambi feels better by smoking a cigarette than being in the relationship? Maybe the stress from both feel the same? Maybe if she really IS a smoker, this little factoid should demonstrate her need to quit? Whatever the reason -- smoking is worse than being obese (I asked my physician.) If they are addressing one in the SOH, they should be addressing the other health issue.

Well put, VE.

26mitogo 493 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-30-06, 05:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 26mitogo Click to send private message to 26mitogo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-30-06 AT 05:42 PM (EST)

Interesting info from all you x-smokers. (By the way, GREAT those of you who have quit. I've heard it can be he!!) I've never smoked so never noticed the newbie vs. experienced versions. However, I always knew something looked strange about the way Kim smoked. Never knew what it was. I just hope that if Niambi picked up this habit in order to be "cool" in SO house (God forbid these women in their 30's & 40's need to pick up something like smoking to be cool) that she stops again before she does begin inhaling and becomes addicted.

Does anyone remember if Niambi said how long ago she quit her running career? I wonder if the smoking may partly be some rebellion. Most high level athletes like Niambi spent all their "rebellious years" consumed with their sport. They are 100% focused on doing everything they are suposed to in order to win. At an age when their peers are learning to drive, going to parties, dating, hanging out, being crazy, and sometimes getting into trouble, these athletes are working hard. They are literally eating, sleeping, and breathing for their sport. They usually began the sport before the high school rebelliousness sets in so they accept that their coach, who can take them all the way, reigns supreme ... you don't question him/her if you want to make it. Niambi not only continued throughout college, but years beyond. If she needs to be rebellious, maybe the smoking took the place of the usual alcohol most use. It's is a horror, I hope she quits soon!

Edited for typo.

04-30-06, 10:39 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
>>Another thing I notice about these smoker posers is how they hold the cigarette. They hold their cigarettes rigidly between two perfectly straight fingers like they're afraid the cigarette is going to fall. From my experience, seasoned smokers hold their cigarettes between two relaxed and slightly bent fingers and actually let go of the cigarette when they take a drag.<<

Yes, this is the tell-tale sign that separates the posers from the true addicts (LOL).

Another stiff-finger smoker was Jessica. She drove me nuts because between drags she would hold it over the ash tray and flick it. flick it. flick it. flick it. I wanted to scream "The cherry's gonna fall off, ya @$# moron!!!"

Too bad they can't all smoke like Jill. Now there is what you call a "genuine" smoker. Casual relaxed fingers, let go of cig during drags, long smooth exhale, extra smoke rolling out of nostrils while conversing..... *sigh*

PanchoVilla 39 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-06, 08:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PanchoVilla Click to send private message to PanchoVilla Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
Rhonda to Niambi, "As a proud graduate of the starting over house our sponsers Palmolive and Phillip Morris have chipped in to give you a years supply of dusting products and.....all the cigarettes you can smoke until you die!! As an added bonus The Marlboro company has thrown in,, Free matches! Congratulations Niambi, you have truly started over!!!!!!!!"

jndinc1 37 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-06, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jndinc1 Click to send private message to jndinc1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
>Another stiff-finger smoker was Jessica.
>She drove me nuts because
>between drags she would hold
>it over the ash tray
>and flick it. flick it.
>flick it. flick it.
>I wanted to scream "The
>cherry's gonna fall off, ya
>@$# moron!!!"

You just made me laugh out loud! Sing it to me sister! There's probably 1 real smoker for every 5 wannabes on this show. It's really sad, and irresponsible for the LCs to not address this problem. What about replacing one addiction with another, not to name any names (CHRISTIE?!)

flower2 171 desperate attention whore postings

05-01-06, 05:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flower2 Click to send private message to flower2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
Pmfmpls,

In response to the other part of your question, Niambi was a world class track and field athelete. She competed in the long and triple jumps. You can google her name and see for yourself (Niambi Dennis).

Zoey 326 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-01-06, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zoey Click to send private message to Zoey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
We all know what we should do but do we all follow that?

I remember my grandfather was in Yale-New Haven Hospital and all the doctors were preaching that he shouldn't smoke. But when we all (who were visiting my grandfather) went out for a smoke, you would see a bunch of doctors, including the doctors that preached to my grandfather, outside smoking.

Just an observation...

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-01-06, 11:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Niambi??? what kind of "athlete"..."
Yeah. It's amazing how many people you would think would be non-smokers (Niambi: Athlete) actually smoke.

It's a slight aside, Yale-New Haven is an excellent hospital. It just goes to prove that we are all fallible, eh?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •