The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Student Writing Thesis On Reality TV! How do fans define the genre!?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Locked thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Joe Schmo Forum (Protected)
Original message

stopandcop 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-27-03, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stopandcop Click to send private message to stopandcop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Student Writing Thesis On Reality TV! How do fans define the genre!?"
***Student Writing Thesis On Reality TV! How do we define the genre!?***

Hi,

I'm currently writing my thesis on Reality TV and the challenges of defining the genre.

With programs like Joe Schmo, The Osbournes and The Newlyweds defying previously held notions of Reality TV - as a term used for television shows that are based on real people (not actors) in real situations, presented as entertainment - how would you currently define the genre of Reality TV?

there are no right or wrong answers here and it is not a trick question... i'm just looking for a discussion on my favorite form of television, Reality TV!

Thanks!
Rory

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Student Writing Thesis On Reali... Jpod5 10-27-03 1
 Stop posting this on different foru... Bebo 10-27-03 2
   RE: Stop posting this on different ... Guppin1234 10-27-03 4
 RE: Student Writing Thesis On Reali... Guppin1234 10-27-03 3
   RE: Student Writing Thesis On Reali... Tiger Lily 10-27-03 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Jpod5 147 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-27-03, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jpod5 Click to send private message to Jpod5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Student Writing Thesis On Reality TV! How do fans define the genre!?"
Interesting question.

My first impulse is to define it as any program with a significant element being unscripted. I realize, however, this would include something like “Who’s Line is it…”, but not shows with potentially unscripted elements, such as SNL. I think I stand by that definition, and that something like “Who’s Line…” fits since it is the unscripted spontaneity that makes it interesting. Although if that’s the case, would game shows fit into the reality genre? In the strictest sense I’d say they should, but I don’t know if you’re going for a more focused definition of the Survivor-inspired phenomenon.

My two cents…

Bebo 20880 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-27-03, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Stop posting this on different forums"
This is the third forum you've posted this message too, in clear violation of the guidelines.

We really do have guidelines here. Believe it or not, the Guidelines make things more fun. Really.

Guppin1234 909 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-27-03, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Guppin1234 Click to send private message to Guppin1234 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Stop posting this on different forums"
What if you incorporate the question into your signature but post according to the topic at hand in each forum? Just asking.

Guppin1234 909 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-27-03, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Guppin1234 Click to send private message to Guppin1234 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Student Writing Thesis On Reality TV! How do fans define the genre!?"
The mindset of the Producers, crew and TV networks is skewed because they live in a Hollywood/Broadway bubble. They are out of touch with what it's like to be an Average Joe/Joan so their translation of reality TV make the contestants look contrived so matter how real the contestants believe themselves to be.

Tiger Lily 1679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-27-03, 04:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tiger%20Lily Click to send private message to Tiger%20Lily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Student Writing Thesis On Reality TV! How do fans define the genre!?"
Good observation, Guppin. I mean, just look at the guys from "Average Joe". Some of them look like they came straight out of Revenge of the Nerds. It seems like they overshot it a bit- whether on purpose or not I don't know.

Just takes reality TV at face value. There's enough to overanalyze in real life.

Unlock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •