The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Intersection? Thoughts?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-06-06, 07:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Intersection? Thoughts?"
I didn't like it. This show is not Survivor, and has never been about being forced to work with other people.

What I like about this show is that it's all about your team, and your team's skills. Want to make alliances? okay. Don't want to? okay.

I didn't like the forced alliance angle.

What'd you guys think?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Breezy 11-06-06 1
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? dragonflies 11-06-06 2
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Earl Colby Pottinger 11-06-06 9
       Rule change? Breezy 11-06-06 10
           RE: Rule change? byoffer 11-06-06 16
               Nope a FF Breezy 11-06-06 17
           RE: Rule change? HobbsofMI 11-06-06 26
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? dabo 11-06-06 3
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Earl Colby Pottinger 11-06-06 13
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Max Headroom 11-06-06 4
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? svk 11-06-06 21
       Agree moonbaby 11-06-06 29
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? aquariaqueen 11-06-06 5
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Earl Colby Pottinger 11-06-06 14
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? byoffer 11-06-06 6
   Same question Breezy 11-06-06 11
       RE: Same question dabo 11-06-06 15
           RE: Same question mjames1229 11-06-06 20
               Good points Breezy 11-06-06 23
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Max Headroom 11-06-06 24
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Cyndimaus 11-06-06 7
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Estee 11-06-06 8
       RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Cyndimaus 11-06-06 12
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? MaryKat 11-06-06 18
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? coolflowerpowerman 11-06-06 19
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? mjames1229 11-06-06 22
       RE: Intersection? Thoughts? coolflowerpowerman 11-07-06 30
   Not quite realitybites 11-07-06 32
       RE: Not quite Karchita 11-07-06 34
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Molaholic 11-06-06 25
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? coolflowerpowerman 11-07-06 31
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? Karchita 11-06-06 27
 RE: Intersection? Thoughts? CTgirl 11-06-06 28
   RE: Intersection? Thoughts? michel 11-07-06 33

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Breezy 18379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-06-06, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
Neutral on it. I think it would have had more of an impact on the game had they had to continue to work as a 4 person team until after the Roadblock. It didn't really make a difference in the game, IMHO.

But I do agree with you, alliances belong in Survivor not TAR.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I agree with Breezy. It didn't really affect a whole lot, aside from hopefully proving to the Cho bros that they can work successfully without the 6 pack.

Go Pack!

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

11-06-06, 11:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
On the otherhand it broke the 6-pack alliance. Without it D&M were sure to try for the FF.

I am leaning in favor of it.

11-06-06, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Rule change?"
In the past once a team had gone for and won a Fast Forward they couldn't do one again. Has that changed?

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rule change?"
I don't know the answer to that question. Are you sure you are talking about a FF, and not a Yield?

Now a Yield would have been interesting in yesterday's show.

Would the any of the leaders have chosen to their Yield when D&M were marked for elimination? Or would they have saved the Yeild for a more strategic time?

Would the Chos have been bold enough to Yield Bama in hopes that this would save D&M?

11-06-06, 12:21 PM (EST)
17. "Nope a FF"
Cause Phil used to explain that a team would have to decide when it was advantagous for them to use one. Early on in the race or save it for a later leg if there even was one to use.

Maybe the intersection replaced the yield?

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Rule change?"
Not that I noticed but since Alabama did not use a FF maybe with the intersection they could.

I'm ahhhh about the intersection.....like others have said this is not Survivor.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
Well, it amounted to saddling the two worst teams with each other, in that respect it may work a lot better earlier in the race when there are more teams left. Loved how it worked on the ff teams though.

11-06-06, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
1) Think you are very right that it should have been earlier in the game with more teams.

2) Aside from getting some deja-vu of TAR1 from listening to the comments of the two teams, I like the idea that if the teams do the FF then we still will have two teams racing to the pit-stop instead of one team way out in front of the others as we have seen in most races. Put an intersection in-front of the FIRST FF in future TARs.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
It wasn't my favorite idea either. Having teams wait around for a schoolyard pick 'em pair-up wasn't well thought out, and the forced alliances didn't add anything to the game.

Sorry Bertram, you need to do better than this.

svk 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-06-06, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail svk Click to send private message to svk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
What they should have done is make them pair with the next team to arrive. Don't give them a choice.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "Agree"
It would have been more interesting to see teams that dislike each other be made to rely on each other.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-06-06, 10:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I was very disappointed that it only lasted one challenge. The clue made it seem as though it would be longer.

It didn't affect the game as much as it could have if it lasted a couple of challenges.

Think of this, Barbies and Chos coming in first and second place a few consecutive times, and the rest of the Six Pack at the end. Maybe the Chos would have been forced to break their alliance, and work at getting Team Bitchy Babies and Team Models out of the picture.

11-06-06, 11:37 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
Atleast the description of an Intersection leaves it open in future uses for more than one task. I would have hated it if they had limited it to only one. Does this suggest it's use during a 'SuperLeg'?

byoffer 15808 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but I do think it had a large effect on the game.

Without that, I think that David and Mary would have gone to the fast forward. Let's say it had been just D & M and the frats at the FF. With their lives on the line would D & M have eaten faster? We won't really know until next week how much time the frats beat Alabama by, but it could have been the requisite 30 minutes. As it was, Bama basically dragged D & M to the back, so that D & M had almost no chance to make up the 30 minute gap that they needed.

Granted, if the FF had been a real FF this would have been more evident.

11-06-06, 11:22 AM (EST)
11. "Same question"
as up there. Did we have a rule change?

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Same question"
I've been wondering about that too. Would David and Mary have been allowed to do a second FF because they were teamed with Lyn and Karlyn who hadn't done one? Or are teams now allowed to take FF regardless of whether they already have taken FF?

Honestly, really, I wish they would just stop having Fast Forwards.

mjames1229 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-06-06, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mjames1229 Click to send private message to mjames1229 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Same question"
LAST EDITED ON 11-06-06 AT 01:34 PM (EST)

Actually, I liked Fast Forwards on every leg. I liked players with a lead taking the FF to extend the lead... and the possibility that a later team would try to use it (not knowing that it was already gone).

I also think that having more FFs would give us more instances of it actually HARMING a team, as we've seen two or three times in the history of the show.

I did like making two teams perform the FF... can you imagine the addicts reaction if Kimberly just couldn't finish eating the cow's lips (or even if she had a caviar-like reaction)?

Edited to correct Kimberly's name, because I have their team confused with the evil Kelly from a couple of seasons ago. They are the same team, right?

11-06-06, 02:22 PM (EST)
23. "Good points"
and I agree. I liked it better when there were more FF's.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I wouldn't put it past Karlyn to realize that being paired with Team Kentucky all but guaranteed her team would avoid Philimination. After all, all L/K had to do was reach the mat within 30 minutes of Dave/Mary, stroll past the "marked for elimination timeout zone", and check in with Phil.

If used properly, the Intersection could be used as strategically as a Yield.

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-06-06, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I liked the idea of it and I think, as others have stated, that it would have had more of an impact (and been more interesting) if it had lasted for longer than just the detour. What if it had lasted through the pitstop and starting the next leg? (there would have been the issue of uneven number of teams but I'm sure there could have been a creative way to work that out)

I also agree it would have been more useful when there had been more teams left in the race. Bigger variables. Rather boring when 1/3 of the racers are at the fast forward leaving only two sets left to compete.

Try it next year but during the first few legs. THAT would be more fun.

sig courtesy of Cygnus
Mouse on the move by Snidget

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I would have like to see the teams stay linked until they were about fifty feet from the Pit Stop. Travel together through the Detour and Roadblock, head for the PS as a unit, figuring it's a tie for first or a non-elimination leg of some weird sort. And then, just when they see Phil, someone yells 'BREAK!'

You could start an awesome betting pool on who would have been frozen in shock for the longest time. And who would plant an elbow in someone's stomach to get three extra seconds on their lead. (I vote Lyn.)

Cyndimaus 3117 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-06-06, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cyndimaus Click to send private message to Cyndimaus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
Oooh! The most interesting suggestion of all! The Cho brothers would have been too gentlemenly to knock the Barbies down. David & Mary would have waited for Lyn & Karlyn only to be knocked aside.

sig courtesy of Cygnus
Mouse on the move by Snidget

MaryKat 221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-06-06, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MaryKat Click to send private message to MaryKat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I liked it.

coolflowerpowerman 456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-06-06, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail coolflowerpowerman Click to send private message to coolflowerpowerman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
The Beauty Queens effectively got yielded by the intersection... in fact, this twist could be much more devastating than a yield... everyone could refuse to work with the first team to arrive, leaving them with a David/Mary or Lyn/Karlyn-esque team.

mjames1229 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

11-06-06, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mjames1229 Click to send private message to mjames1229 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
>The Beauty Queens effectively got yielded
>by the intersection... in fact,
>this twist could be much
>more devastating than a yield...
>everyone could refuse to work
>with the first team to
>arrive, leaving them with a
>David/Mary or Lyn/Karlyn-esque team.

My 14 year-old son had a better strategy... the Cho Brothers should have taken a dive on the detour and not completed it until about 60 minutes AFTER David and Mary completed it. Would it have put them at a disadvantage? Sure, but not knowing what was ahead, as a Cho I certainly would have liked my chances in a footrace against the blondes.

11-07-06, 01:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail coolflowerpowerman Click to send private message to coolflowerpowerman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
If the intersection had kept the teams together until the end and required a footrace to the mat, that would have been the lamest twist ever. I liked how it forced the teams to cooperate for a time, but by breaking them up after the detour it forced the teams to get to the mat on their OWN abilities, not taking advantage of/sabotaging another team's racing.

And, as we saw... D/K pretty much walked all over the Chos once they were separated!

Even if it was a footrace, I'd give the BQs a good shot as I suspect they are in much better shape than the Chos. In the Mauritius leg, the brothers were completely out of breath after the swim out to the boat. Muscles do not equal speed.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-07-06, 05:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "Not quite"
>... everyone could refuse to work with the first team to
>arrive, leaving them with a David/Mary or Lyn/Karlyn-esque team.

Only if the other teams arrived more or less at the same time, in pairs - as happened in this case. I think if no other teams were in the area, the two teams would be stuck with each other, enemies or not.

I'm realitybites and I approved this post.

Karchita 4469 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-07-06, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Not quite"
Good point. It's hard to say what might happen, which is one reason I like this twist.

It seems that by this point in the race, people have had a chance to get to know each other and in this season as well as past ones, some racers are really fed up with others. Some have been so hostile that they might just refuse to work with a certain team even if it harms themselves. Or at least delay and stew for a while. If they are the last two, of course, they would have no choice. If the others are far behind and they know it, they would have a difficult choice.

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
No, I didn't like it since it was limited to the one task. It would have been much better to continue it through all tasks, and even a route marker or two beyond.

A couple of tweaks that've come to mind -

* Make it earlier, with more teams involved.

* Instead of the school-yard pick'um, make it a random chance -- draw a team out of a hat. So a team with lead that draws the slow-poke has to sit on their heals.

* Use it with an odd number of teams, so the last team to arrive gets to go solo and gets a much easier task to perform.

And some other rambling thoughts --

It did look as if Team Kentucky was eligible to get a second FF -- they certainly talked about it.. maybe the rule was changed to allow a only team 'marked for elimination' a second FF.

What about a penalty for taking the wrong car? Hardly seemed right, IMHO.

11-07-06, 02:04 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
Meh, the car was in fine working condition despite the jacked up bumper, and if there was nothing in the rules, I don't see the problem. Besides, all of the cars were just sitting there with keys in the ignition... it's not much different from when they pick a vehicle at an airport parking lot, which is first come, first serve... and the BQs earned their first place departure time on the previous leg!

The only time a team has been penalized for taking another team's vehicle was in Season 6, when Don/Mary Jean drove off with Adam/Rebecca's car in the middle leg, impeding their ability to drive to the pitstop. While the BQs decision was immature, it also seemed strategic and did not end up hurting anyone.

Karchita 4469 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

11-06-06, 04:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I liked it. New twists freshen the game and knock everyone off kilter a bit. That's nothing but good.

I see it strategically more like a yield than a Survivor-style alliance. A rule forcing players to work togther for a short period to complete a task or two is not what a Survivor alliance is. The six pack was more similar to a Survivor-style alliance, and the intersection broke it up.

The intersection rewarded teams that are nice to the other racers, and penalized teams that don't get along with others, so that is good, too. It penalized the Barbies (just for a few minutes, but it could have been worse) for being hyper-competitive and alienating other teams. It also penalized L&K because the had to work with the other weakest team because they didn't like the Barbies. If L&K could get along with others better, they would have teamed with the Barbies and done better. Perhaps the same is true for David and Mary. Maybe they even could have beaten L&K by 30 minutes if they had done the mattress carrying with the Barbies, although probably not.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

11-06-06, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
Although it wasn't the best innovation they've come up with this year, I liked it because it was different. It changes things up a bit. Dustin and Kandice showed great strategy in waiting for the Chos and approaching them before they had a chance to talk with Alabama or Kentucky. It worked out great for them and hurt David and Mary. I agree it would be more interesting and fun earlier in the race with more people involved.

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-06, 09:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Intersection? Thoughts?"
I'll second what Karchita and CTgirl said and add that it was good to hear what teams thought of each other in more details than before. Even the Chos had something against the Blondes since they had to be forgiven.

Having an intersection earlier in the race could make it a wild scramble but then if teams don't know each other, it could also simply be going through the motions. Having 8 teams could be the best time.

PS. I think David and Mary made a mistake and would have been prevented from doing the FF.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •