The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do most people this age really act like this?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Real World / Road Rules Forum (Protected)
Original message

Met80 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-03-06, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Met80 Click to send private message to Met80 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do most people this age really act like this?"
It seems like the people that are on The Real World, even though most of them are early to mid-20s, act as if they are still in high school or middle school. They start fights over the dumbest of things. They convince themselves that they have these strong feelings about their roommates, even though they just met them. They just act, well, so immature.

I am not even much older than these people - I am 26 now - but I just feel as though I am so much more mature and different than them. I am not saying that to brag or anything -- I am just saying that because I feel like I can't really relate to these people.

Even when I was a few years younger I don't remember acting like this. Myself and the people I associated with just seemed so much more mature, calm, and rational than these people.

Is The Real World a fairly accurate representation of how people around this age act? Or did they just simply have really immature and explosive people on the show?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do most people this age really ... DaveThe Dude 12-03-06 1
 RE: Do most people this age really ... HobbsofMI 12-03-06 2
 RE: Do most people this age really ... eire_heart74 12-03-06 3
   RE: Do most people this age really ... cambo 12-04-06 5
       RE: Do most people this age really ... batts 12-04-06 6
           Someone is messin around today... volsfan 12-04-06 7
               RE: Someone is messin around today.... arkiegrl 12-05-06 8
 RE: Do most people this age really ... Snidget 12-03-06 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

DaveThe Dude 967 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-03-06, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DaveThe%20Dude Click to send private message to DaveThe%20Dude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do most people this age really act like this?"
Good points. When I was 18-21 I never acted like these idiots act. And I ADMIT to being an idiot! But never this bad! Ugh!
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-03-06, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do most people this age really act like this?"
I have a few more years on most around here but even the wildest of the wild in college and HS never approach the levels that I've seen on any RW. So no, I don't think it's accurate representation and yes, they do it to get more screen time/face time because they are DAW's.

Save the Cheerleader Save the World
sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

eire_heart74 1231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-03-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail eire_heart74 Click to send private message to eire_heart74 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do most people this age really act like this?"
Oh absolutely they are the exception to the rule. I am 32 and yes that was a long time ago for me, but I never acted myself nor knew of anyone that acted like that in college. And I lived on campus and was greek. I did see my fair share of drinking, hooking up and fighting but nothing to this extreme level. MTV and the producers of this show had one cast mate on it that got alot of attention to the show and they ran with it. Pedro you say? Nope PUCK!

Go with me on this. He acts like a complete ##### on the show. The cast actually throws him out because of his attention seeking immature mental behavior. (now a days he could be a check list for all future RW roommates) The show goes back the next season to London with 7 although occassionally snarky but usually borring normal strangers. Ratings pulmet.

What do they do? Go back to San Fran, what worked? Well they really can't pull off another Pedro can they? But there are millions of Pucks out there in the great big world.

Enter the Miami cast. Where in the first night, Sarah is evicted from her current dwelling before the RW house for an out of control party. Flora, the frequent flasher/doing her boss while her boyfriend is back home. Melissa, gay basher, peep show watcher. Mike, three way guy. Dan, drama queen. Joe and his amazon nut case model girlfriend. Cynthia, I think was maybe the most normal of the bunch. Oh and let's have them all try to start a business and show just how freaking lazy 7 people can be. Ratings go up

Each season they have just added to the crazy factor. Because that's why we watch.

cambo 286 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-04-06, 00:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cambo Click to send private message to cambo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Do most people this age really act like this?"
Good points.

When the Real World first started, it featured people who had jobs and/or career goals and were serious about pursing them. Aside from the occasional slip-up they were pretty responsible.

To me, the show has become a complete joke. They're casting the same type of people over and over (same characters, different city). The show used to be about learning about yourself and others, now hooking up, fighting with each other and getting drunk seems to be all they really do.

RW San Diego was the last season I've watched.

batts 1725 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-04-06, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Do most people this age really act like this?"
RW San Diego was the last season I've watched.

You didn't see the RW Austin? It was the best show, with the MOST mature and responsible people!

Batts looks around to see make sure if everybody believes him.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

12-04-06, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Someone is messin around today..."
and I guess you got hold of the good stuff...No?

Vols hasn't believed Batts since November 1006!

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

12-05-06, 08:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Someone is messin around today..."
Vols hasn't believed Batts since November 1006
November 1006? Man, you & batts are REALLY old!

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

12-03-06, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do most people this age really act like this?"
I think it is somewhat accurate to how certain people of that age act.

If you are attention seeking and narcissistic enough to get on one of these shows (and that is who makes the best TV, or so the producers seem to think, after all they are the ones that do outrageous things and create dramarama no matter where they are) there is likely to be a level of immaturity to your behavior.

They are technically old enough to know better, but still stuck in that me, me, me stage that most people grow out of when they are too young to be on reality TV shows.

Some people never grow out of that stage so you can see it at any age. I just tend to see less of it as people finally figure out that while acting like that may feel good in the moment it tends to be less than effective at things that make you good at being an adult. Sure some people have enough talent or money or looks that those around them let them get away with it, but most eventually have to give that childishness up.

Hall's Decked by Tribe!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •