The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Real World / Road Rules Forum (Protected)
Original message

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

06-22-05, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 01:14 PM (EST)

Plinky banjo music. Shots of cows. Line dancing. The obligatory “yee haw” shouted during the oh-so-stale “This is the true story…” rigmarole. And a truly frightening neon cowboy that looks like it should be killing children in the next Poltergeist movie. My TV Guide says it's time for the next installment of the Real World, but where in the world could the latest cast of this old reality warhorse be staying? No, don’t tell me! It’s Seattle! No? Sacramento? Providence? Ft. Lauderdale?

No, it’s Austin. If they just would have shown an oil derrick and a mechanical bull, I might have gotten it. Stereotypes aside, let’s meet the West Coast-heavy crew.

First up, Danny...

the latest hopeful to redeem his lovely hometown’s reputation that’s been so trashed by meatheads like CT. He’s excited about going somewhere he’s never been before. The saying goes that there's nothing in Austin but steers and queers, but sadly, Danny does not seem to fall in the latter category. Neither does anyone else. Bah. But he's hot. I'll give him a chance.

Next up is Rachel.

Now even if you watched the preview, you might not have realized that Rachel once served in Iraq. But, like fellow Iraq veteran Ron Young, she doesn’t like to talk about it. And she’s from California.

Then we meet Nehemiah.

Another Californian. But he wants to get out of California because people are always trying to steer him in to do the wrong thing. He picked going on the Real World because of the long-standing history that previous cast members have of making wise choices.

And here’s Johanna

Lima-born, but now living in, you guessed it, California. She’s was supposed to go get her masters in social work at Columbia, but deferred it to go to Austin. Is that one of those wise decisions you were talking about, Nehemiah? Let’s just hope that social work doesn’t have anything to do with substance abuse counseling. But more on that later.

Wes is next

and he might be described as Josh Hartnett dyed blond, beaten a few times with an ugly stick and totally stripped of all charm and intelligence. And seeing as Josh Hartnett is not known for his critical thinking skills, that's saying a lot. He’s from Kansas and is in terrible need of a good hairdresser. He also mentioned in the previews that he considers himself a stripper, which just passed up "Melanie Griffith in a Broadway musical" on the list of "Things I Never Want to See."

Now we’re introduced to a shy violet named Melinda.

Demure and sweet, the Milwaukee native is studying at a convent in France to work with starving orphans. And she has a boyfriend named Jason, who we’ll probably hear crying on the phone a few times and might even see for one heartbreaking visit. Run, Jason. Now.

Finally, we meet Lacey

...an Ohioan now living as a hairdresser in Florida. I wonder momentarily whether or not she’ll be able to do anything to help poor Wes, but then she says something about spitting in people’s hair and calling it a spa treatment. Well, for Wes, it couldn’t hurt. But later, we’ll find out that Lacey is a virgin who doesn’t dance or drink hard liquor, which means her screen time will consist of a few shocked reaction shots and maybe a condescending chat or two with the more, let’s say, deviant members of the cast. Remember that blond guy from New Orleans? No? My point exactly. Don’t get too attached to her.

Slowly, the cast members meet one another in the typical ho-hum fashion that has become a Real World staple. Everyone is so excited to see one another! All the roommates are so special in their own way! Fortunately, that never lasts long. I just took the time to enjoy the cameo from Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart as Danny’s cabbie. Boy, times get tough once the wrestling gig’s over. Hear that, Mike from Real World New York?

I must point out, however, the extremely poor skills this cast has regarding snap judgments. Rachel thinks Nehemiah was “looking the total picture of black power.” Why? Because he had on a few beads and a shirt that said something about Ethiopia? Good grief. You’d a thought he was wearing a Kente and shouting about Plymouth Rock falling on him. (I always wondered – was Malcolm X a fan of the musical “Anything Goes”?) Danny thinks Melinda is the “all-American girl.” Umm, maybe he meant a “will-do-any-American” girl. Wes makes the only on-target assessment, astutely figuring out that Danny is from
Boston. Well, actually, the scribbly Chiron when we first met Danny said he lived a few miles outside of Boston. But for a Kansas boy, not bad.

So now it’s time to mingle. Yada yada hot tub yada yada pick the bedrooms yada yada a few glasses of wine. Yes, I realized two girls (Melinda and Rachel) kissed at some point. Yawn. The whole faux-lesbian thing is so 2003 – even though by the shocked look on Wes’ face, you’d have thought someone was actually interested in him.

Speaking of which, Wes and Danny make some asinine bet about being the first to hook-up with someone else in the house or a hot University of Texas girl. I didn’t exactly understand the terms, but I’ll bet the nerdy girl ends up winning when Freddy Prinze Jr. discovers her inner beauty even though she took the football captain to the prom.

But things aren’t looking good for Wes in that regard. Johanna and Melinda both are attracted to Danny, and Rachel turns down a marriage proposal from Wes – wisely pointing out that he’s everything she’s not attracted to in a guy. That leaves Lacey – the one who doesn’t like to dance because: “I think it’s just an excuse for people to rub on each other, and that weirds me out.” I think you have a better chance with Nehemiah, dood.

Zzzzz. These guys have read their script. They know what the first day is supposed to look like. Johanna is worried because she kissed Danny and it will harm their ability to get to know each other. Melinda's torn whether to stay true to Jason (I've already read the book -- she doesn't). I was about to write this series off as another Back-to-New-York snoozefest. Thankfully, old Mr. Alcohol really steps up his acting skills.

Nehemiah, you see, had been earning points toward “most decent roommate” status by promising Johanna that he would watch out for her. Johanna, it seems, has a little problem with alcohol. Ruthie-level problems, in fact. So, by the time Johanna gets enough liquor in her to begin dancing on tables, Nehemiah – as biblically nice as his name – decides it’s time to rein her in. She responds by screaming at him, clawing at him and somehow ripping off his shirt (What is this – “Days of our Lives”?). Nehemiah’s had enough and decides to go home. And this is the guy who’s supposed to make the bad decisions?

Johanna is left at the bar blathering something about Nehemiah getting into a fight with someone else. So it’s Wes and Danny to the rescue – wisely running through the streets of Austin screaming to passers-by “Where did the black guy go?” Because, you see, Nehemiah is obviously the only black guy to visit Austin. Ever. Well, except for that time that Lionel Richie played a concert there.

At any rate, someone is not amazed by their power of description and picks a fight. We aren't really shown what happens in the fight, but there's a lot of pushing and screaming and blurry faced people. And it’s too bad, because one of the scrappers and Wes could have been the perfect compadres under different circumstances, considering he had the Jeff Daniels ‘do from “Dumb and Dumber.”

After some amazing, Matrix-like camera work, Danny takes a hard blow to the face. He stumbles around dazed as his roommates explain away the situation to police. Once back home, Danny is furious to find Nehemiah there after he had “stood up” for him. Nehemiah, like Lacey, has the misfortune of being sober, so he has no idea what’s going on. He and a somewhat-more-sober Johanna have it out, and he begins to regret his agreement to watch over her. C’mon! Now they’re ripping off “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” You know, the one where Will watched over the snotty girl who turned out to be a hell-raiser, but everybody thought it was Will being the bad influence? I guess this is when people stop being polite and start being bad sitcom cliches.

Danny, in the meantime, is not getting any better, so Nurse Rachel (she was a nurse in Iraq, but she doesn’t like to talk about it) insists he go to the hospital. Looking at an unnecessarily excessive amount of X-rays, Dr. Shepler, obviously angling for his own Discovery Channel series, explains something about a bone in his skull rotating, something that could cause blindness and require surgery to repair. This marks the first time someone ended up in the hospital by the first episode of the Real World, er, not counting that alcohol-poisoning stuff.

And hey, this is Austin! Why didn't they go see Dr. Red Duke?

But it's a dramatic cliffhanger for our season opener, so we end with that slam poetry view of the whole rest of the season.
Drunks…hospitals…fights in the streets…a dad who’s lying…Costa Rica…and someone says Rachel isn’t a real soldier.

Then season after season after season of inferno challenges.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... volsfan 06-22-05 1
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... motormouth 06-22-05 2
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... jkokoj 06-22-05 3
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... TeamJoisey 06-22-05 4
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... buckeyegirl 06-22-05 5
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... Glow 06-22-05 6
   hhhhmmmmm volsfan 06-22-05 7
       RE: hhhhmmmmm Glow 06-22-05 10
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... Tahj 06-22-05 8
   RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... ginger 06-22-05 9
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... arkiegrl 06-22-05 11
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... batts 06-22-05 12
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... katbird 06-22-05 13
   RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... LibraRising 06-22-05 14
       RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... ginger 06-23-05 15
           RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... Captain_Savem 06-27-05 16
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... lvoetulips 06-27-05 17
   RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... uglier than sarah w 06-28-05 18
 RE: Official Summary Real World Aus... weltek 06-29-05 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-22-05, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 01:04 PM (EST)

Great job with the pics! LMAO! Fantabulous summary.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

motormouth 4507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

06-22-05, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail motormouth Click to send private message to motormouth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
That was a riot! Great work LR! You had me confused for a second with the first photo...

A totally rockin' RollDdice design

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-22-05, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Very good!!

courtesy of RollDdice
closet Real World addict, sshh

TeamJoisey 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-22-05, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
LOL!

This rocked... and now I have to go find this show and watch it.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-05, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
and he might be described as Josh Hartnett dyed blond, beaten a few times with an ugly stick and totally stripped of all charm and intelligence. And seeing as Josh Hartnett is not known for his critical thinking skills, that's saying a lot. He’s from Kansas and is in terrible need of a good hairdresser. He also mentioned in the previews that he considers himself a stripper, which just passed up "Melanie Griffith in a Broadway musical" on the list of "Things I Never Want to See."

-did I mention this is my first post in the real world forum?

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-05, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Very good summary. Should be an entertaining season.

Strange. From your pictures, Danny is a lot cuter than I remember him being. mmmmm Rob.

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-05, 01:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "hhhhmmmmm"
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-05 AT 01:24 PM (EST)

Nevermind!...move on.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-05, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: hhhhmmmmm"
What? What did I miss? Vols?

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-22-05, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
You rock dude.

I think you could have used a picture of Abram for Wes. Clones, except Wes got his face smashed in at some point.

Moves courtesy of Syren

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-05, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
That was great! I have no intention of seeing the show but I may read all the summaries.

It's a personal decision every woman has to make for herself.

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

06-22-05, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Did we watch the same show? I don't remember it being this entertaining.

Sigs by Bob! Special Art for Special People!

batts 1725 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

06-22-05, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
*Jeff Daniel's 'do from <Dumb and Dumber> Lol... I was wondering where I've seen that hair before!

katbird 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-22-05, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katbird Click to send private message to katbird Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Way to go dude, but you forgot to mention how much Rachel hates talking about Iraq, lol!

LibraRising 2847 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

06-22-05, 08:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LibraRising Click to send private message to LibraRising Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Only three posts and you have figured out that I am not a woman. You? Are my favorite new poster.

And thanks everyone else, too, for the kind words.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-05, 02:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
I just checked under your tail.

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-27-05, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
You cheatin on me again?

Great summary LR!!

Courtesy of Slice & Dice Chop Shop ©2004 All Rights Reserved
"It is a tribute to the American people that our leaders perceived that they
had to lie to us, it is not a tribute to us that we were so easily misled." ~ Daniel Ellsberg

lvoetulips 1025 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-27-05, 04:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lvoetulips Click to send private message to lvoetulips Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Way to go Libra. You are a fantabulous summarizer.

surveysez made this!

uglier than sarah w 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

06-28-05, 11:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail uglier%20than%20sarah%20w Click to send private message to uglier%20than%20sarah%20w Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
Man I am getting so old...is this like the 14th episode where the sluttiest girl has the promise ring? And how do you get beaten up on the 1st episode...this one is going to be in the hall of fame, I can feel it...let's get these kids on Inferno STAT!

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

06-29-05, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Official Summary Real World Austin: Episode 1; A loaf of Schlotzky's bread, a jug of wine and POW"
*snif* You had me at Boston Rawb...er I mean Danny.
Bravo, LR, Bravo.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •