The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Big Love"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

06-18-07, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Big Love"
So, is anyone else watching this? I must say it is one of those shows that make you ponder. I saw that season 2 was premiering last Monday so I rented season 1 to try it out. I usually love HBO shows, Sex And The City, Oz, Six Feet Under, Carnivale, to name a few. I'm hooked. I've never really thought about Polygamy. Basically all I knew was the meaning of the word, one man with more than one wife. If this show touches even a fraction of real polygamy life????....wowza. The whole Roman (The Prophet) and his newest wife Rhonda (14 or 15 years old) really skeeves me out though.

A Sharnina Creation

Plus you get to see Bill Paxton's bum quite frequently.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Big Love thndrkttn 06-18-07 1
   RE: Big Love JessicaRN 06-18-07 2
 RE: Big Love geg6 06-20-07 3
   RE: Big Love Magnolia_Rocker 06-20-07 4
 RE: Big Love ginger 06-20-07 5
   RE: Big Love Tahj 08-01-07 12
 RE: Big Love bacon 06-22-07 6
   RE: Big Love bacon 06-22-07 7
       RE: Big Love ginger 06-25-07 8
 RE: Big Love Magnolia_Rocker 07-18-07 9
   RE: Big Love JessicaRN 07-22-07 10
       RE: Big Love ginger 07-31-07 11
   RE: Big Love bacon 08-04-07 13
 RE: Big Love mattben 08-05-07 14
 RE: Big Love mattben 08-19-07 15
 RE: Big Love mattben 08-27-07 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-18-07, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Big Love"
Funny you should post this today. I was just looking for something on it this morning.

I love it. We have HBO on Demand so I watched all of season one and then started the new season. I am consitently amazed as to Nicki's character and the fact that she gets away with so much deception but then preaches following "The Principle" to everyone. The whole sequence with the Mother of the Year was quite horrifying and I don't think I have ever been so uncomfortable with a sex scene as I was with Ben and Bryn. I kept having to look away it was soooo awkward.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-18-07, 06:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Big Love"
I like this show a lot. I think it is smart, sometimes humorous and it does make me squirm a bit also. I was thinking after last week's show about Barb and how true it was that this isn't the "marriage she signed up for." I live in the west and hear about these groups, but Bill would not be who I would pick out in a crowd as a polygamist. I know that I am not cut out for this situation. No sister wives for me.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-07, 02:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Big Love"
No, I know quite enough about Mormons without this fictionalized version of it. *shudder*

But you know what HBO show is probably going to hook me (actually, I think it alread has)? John From Cicinnati. I'm still not quite sure I understand it yet, but I am finding it mesmerizing. Plus, I find Bruce Greenwood much more attractive and bare-buns worthy than Bill Paxton.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

06-20-07, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Big Love"
I just saw the previews for that the other day....must check it out then.

A Sharnina Creation

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

06-20-07, 05:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Big Love"
I am a HUGE Big Love (Big LVOE?) fan...it snuck up on me.

1. I never thought I'd be willing to watch so much Bill Paxton, but he's terrific in a tough role.
2. The wives are all GREAT - esp. Chloe Sevigny.
3. The Prophet's underage newest wife is the little girl who played Samara in the Ring (*shivers*).
4. Great roles for some terrific character actors - Harry Dean Stanton, Mary Kay Place, the woman who played Laura Palmer's mother....
5. Great scripts.
6. You wind up rooting for the "plyggies". Honestly. And you have to start to question yourself on what freedoms you think are "good" and what are "bad" (e.g., I am pro gay marriage, so can I really decide willing participants can't be bigamists?).
7. The kids are also terrific.
8. "God Only Knows" is the theme song.

Seriously, I highly recommend this show. Everyone I know never thought they'd like it and got really into it.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-01-07, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Big Love"
Why am I not surprised that you love this show, too. Everything you said is exactly the same for me. I caught up on the episodes with ON Demand and I truly cannot believe how much I like it and how much it affects me.

Tribe rocked my sig!

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

06-22-07, 07:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Big Love"
Terrific program. I was anticipating the season premiere of this more than any show on the horizon. I really like the chemistry between the three wives. This is one of the few shows that actually nails the inner workings of family life, despite the fact that the family setup is screwy.

Big thumbs up as well for "John From Cincinnati" and "Flight of the Conchords", two other HBO shows that recently premiered.

Has anyone seen "Meadowlands" on SHO?

06-22-07, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Big Love"
Nevermind about "Meadowlands". Just saw the pilot and it was a stinkbomb! It's trying to be a modern day "Twin Peaks" and it's failing miserably. It has none of David Lynch's oddities and screwball charm.

06-25-07, 03:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Big Love"
Odd - I tried Meadowlands this weekend, too - and I agree. Trying WAY too hard.

Weirdly like "the Prisoner" series, too.

07-18-07, 03:38 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Big Love"
Ok, I am just loving Marji more and more every episode. At the beginning of the series she just seemed like such an airhead/bad mother/flirt with the older son/etc that I just didn't like her. Now? She's great and growing each episode. Nicki? Meh, I still don't like her. What we need more of is Bill's mom & dad....their interaction is fvcking hilarious!

Oh, and even though I liked Anna I think Bill & family have too much on their plates right now to invite a 4th into the fold. Good call Bill.

A Sharnina Creation

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

07-22-07, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Big Love"
Finally watched the show from last Monday when a new polygamist group was introduced. Anyone know how much of this stuff is based on fact, because both this group and Roman's group are just gross and creepy. I had flashes of the Soprano's with the way the polygamists are intimidating and conducting business. I enjoy Marji also and thought it was kind of sweet when she was upset that they were breaking up with Anna. Bill is definitely more of a sleaze this year.

07-31-07, 06:17 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Big Love"
I am wondering if the show will ultimately show Bill evolving into Roman. He is moving into the "head" position, he is thinking about more wives, etc.

Last night's episode was rather action-packed and I'm hesitant to comment further because I may spoil it for those who haven't seen what happens.

08-04-07, 00:14 AM (EST)
13. "RE: Big Love"
I agree with you about Margie being a great character. However, Nicki is the heart and soul of the show, so I'm not sure how you come down on her character so hard. The way she manipulates her family, although in a loving way, is how the show keeps it's comic zip.

And why Chloe never gets any nominations for her role in this show is beyond me. In fact, why is this show never mentioned when it comes Emmy time? If that absolute pile of sh!t known as "Grey's Anatomy" keeps getting nominations, why does "Big Love" get nothing?

mattben 1265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-05-07, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mattben Click to send private message to mattben Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Big Love"
I like most of the HBO Sunday shows, too.

Big Love is worth watching. but it's not must-see TV. As someone else said, can always pull it up from OnDemand. But then I miss the HD version.

I like Entourage.

John from Cincinnati is a bit like Carnivale -- just can't get interested in it.

Are we getting another season of The Wire anytime soon?

08-19-07, 11:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mattben Click to send private message to mattben Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Big Love"
LOL, tonight was the Godfather meets Sopranos. Turning into a soap opera though. What twist will have us hanging for the finale next week?

08-27-07, 03:35 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Big Love"
Nice finale, leaving up in the air who the leader of the sect is gonna be. Stay tuned for next season.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •