The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Sitcoms Stink"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-23-07, 00:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Sitcoms Stink"
I no longer look forward to new television seasons when it comes to comedies. If you throw out NBC's thursday night lineup, and "South Park", the comedy genre is in a huge rut. Especially when you look at the traditional sitcoms. Even the ones that generally receive critical raves are bad.

Take "Two and Half Men" for instance. Seriously, take it! One of the most annoying half hours of television I've ever seen. I kept reading that it was good, my family assured me it was good, friends I knew told me it was good. I watched it. It stinks. Jon Cryer is especially annoying. Charlie Sheen is Charlie Sheen, which is to say his character is a butthole. And the kid who's the "half" isn't all that cute or funny, himself.

"How I Met Your Mother" is another terrible show that consistantly gets good reviews. I think Neil Patrick Harris has good comic timing. I also like the majority of the cast, which consists of ex-"Freaks and Geeks" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" cast members. But the jokes kinda stink, if you ask me. In fact, if it weren't for the cast, these jokes would sound like they were written by a bunch of reefer-smoking college kids.

But maybe I'm not seeing something. I also hated "Friends", "Everybody Loves Raymond", and "Will and Grace". All painfully unfunny. Maybe it's just the obvious jokes and painful setups that bother me. There are no real truths to any of these shows, which is why the jokes generally fall flat.

However, I did find great geniune humor in "Seinfeld" and "The Simpsons". And I do think "The Office" is the funniest show currently on prime time tv. Maybe it's just the traditional sitcoms that give me problems. Either way, there isn't much to laugh at today on tv.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Sitcoms Stink bullzeye 03-23-07 1
   RE: Earl Pretty_Kitty 03-24-07 5
 RE: Sitcoms Stink emydi 03-23-07 2
 RE: Sitcoms Stink trigirl 03-23-07 3
 RE: Sitcoms Stink susang 03-23-07 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

bullzeye 4956 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-23-07, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Sitcoms Stink"
With a few exceptions, I haven't been into the sitcom genre since the 80's, when Cosby, Family Ties and Cheers ruled the day. Alas, all good things came to an end as all of these shows ran out of gas and ended up being too painful to watch.

In terms of today's offering - I have already agreed that "The Office" is outstanding. And I probably wouldn't have discovered it if not for the thread you started on it. I used to watch "Everyone Hates Chris", but lost interest (is it even on anymore?), fairly quickly. Surprised you didn't mention "Earl", a show I have recently rediscovered - Jaime Pressly's character alone makes this a great watch.

I can honestly say that I have not seen a single episode of all of the other shows you mentioned.

A birthday present from Tribe

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Pretty_Kitty 536 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-24-07, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pretty_Kitty Click to send private message to Pretty_Kitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Earl"
isn't it funny that her name is "Joy"?
The Office is the first sitcom I've loved since Seinfeld.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-23-07, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Sitcoms Stink"
I watch Scrubs, 30 Rock, HIMYM, South Park and EHatesC (yes it's on Monday at 8 and replayed the next Sun at 6:30pm) and the Simpsons are still on...I just don't watch it anymore...CANNOT WAIT FOR MOVIE THOUGH!! I don't watch Office bc it's always been on Thurs and I already watched Survivor etc. I already watch enuf as it is...but what I have seen it's very funny...maybe I'll buy the DVDs

I agree tho Sitcoms have not fared well of late. I love Seinfeld--probably in my top 5 shows ever...hmmm that's a whole other thread!

trigirl 2844 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-23-07, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Sitcoms Stink"
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Hate sitcoms too. Could never understand the Friends craze...other than checking out the latest hairstyles. snooze

Loved Cheers as a kid. Seinfeld as an adult. Only recently have discovered Arrested Development on DVD.
Not sure how I completely missed that series, but am crazy about it...guess everyone else did too that is why it got cancelled.

Enjoy Scrub, Earl and Simpsons but don't go out of my way to watch them. Why is it that sitcoms svck so bad? You mentioned Two and Half Men...oh my heck...I'd rather have teeth extracted.

susang 429 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-23-07, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Sitcoms Stink"
I feel less alone now. Everyone I knew loved Friends, and I was the only one who hated it.

Raymond: saw it once (that was the last time).

Sitcoms as a whole were better years ago. But I am biased, being 40+.

I used to look forward to Will & Grace, but it became boring when G married Harry Connick Jr. And having guest stars didn't seem to help.

The Office cast is top-notch!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •