The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-27-07, 10:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
Executive producer: Mark Burnett. Host: Jeff Foxworthy. Goal: to prove just how dumb Americans are -- or at least, the Americans who are carefully screened and ultimately selected to go on this show. When we lead off with a UCLA graduate who can't remember that Columbus Day is in October...

The game: ten questions and a gradually-escalating payout table that goes to half a million if you get all ten right. You can quit at any time and keep your winnings to that point. Get through the ten and you can try one more question to bring your winnings to a million.

The questions are all on things that are taught in grade school, up to fifth grade. (All ten categories are on the board at the start and ranked by grade: you pick and choose to taste until the board is clear.) Five actual fifth-graders are on the stage with you, and you select one of them to be your classmate. S/he will answer the questions along with you. This also leads to your cheats.

Two peeks: look at your classmates' answer.
One copy: use your classmates' answer for your own without seeing it first.
One save: if you get the answer wrong, but your classmate got it right, you advance.

So yes, the questions are going to be pretty basic. And naturally, they will only select contestants who have a chance of getting them seriously wrong.

It follows American Idol. Kind of makes you wonder what kind of audience it's supposed to be attracting. And given the glacial pace combined with a half-hour format... well, do you have a fifth-graders' attention span? 'cause if you do, you beat most American adults.

Remember: recently on 1 vs. 100, over a third of the Mob didn't know the symbol of the Democratic party. This show is not going to give away the big money all that often, courtesy of the casting department. In fact, MB's biggest worry might be a surprise twist that lets the kids play for cash...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... Jadens Mommy 02-27-07 1
   RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... Jadens Mommy 02-27-07 2
 RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... aquariaqueen 02-28-07 3
   RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... brvnkrz 02-28-07 4
 RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... lgianna 02-28-07 5
 RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... batts 03-04-07 6
   RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... MKitty 03-06-07 7
       RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... prosecutor 03-09-07 8
           RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... prosecutor 04-13-07 9
 RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... bacon 04-16-07 10
   RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... prosecutor 04-26-07 11
       RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-gr... agman 05-12-07 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Jadens Mommy 333 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-27-07, 10:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jadens%20Mommy Click to send private message to Jadens%20Mommy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
>It follows American Idol.

But it won't stay there I don't think. House follows AI beginning again next week.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Jadens Mommy 333 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-27-07, 10:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jadens%20Mommy Click to send private message to Jadens%20Mommy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
I just caught that last 10 minutes of it. I kinda like it so far I guess because I'm testing myself. I have to see it a few more times to make up my mind.

I couldn't believe the woman didn't know what REM stands for.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

02-28-07, 08:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-07 AT 08:04 AM (EST)

My family was EXTREMELY disappointed....they asked 5, maybe 6 questions....we would only remember 5!!!! Too much talking and nonsense.

How did they screen these people??? They were somewhat acting, not being realistic.

I have a 5th and 6th grader along with a husband who were competing with me....no competition because there were hardly any questions, just talk. Even with the math question, they didn't leave it up, so you could concentrate on it. Even Jeff kept talking to the contestant instead of letting them work it out.

Towards the end of the episode, they went to break, did one question, and back to a break again. Frustrating.

Geez, they didn't put out more than $6000.00 bucks. It's not like they're stalling on "Who wants to be a Millionaire".

thank you Arkiegrl!!!

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-07, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
We were saying the same thin in our house. 6 stinking questions for the entire show?!?!?!? What a snoozefest. The concept is okay but if this show is going to last they need to pick up the pace. A LOT.

One nation, under Romber

lgianna 32 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-28-07, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lgianna Click to send private message to lgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
I was a little hesitant, in the beginning, about a "game show" hosted by Jeff Foxworthy, but the majority vote ruled in my house. We were totally disappointed as well. With all of the commercials you would think they would be giving away bigger bucks. But they're not, because they only have complete idiots on the show. These people cannot really NOT know this stuff. I would be embarassed, especially the supposed UCLA grad. I would hate for him to be my boss. I hope it gets better, because we'll still be watching if for nothing else to watch the 10 yr olds beat the "contestants".

batts 1725 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-04-07, 06:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail batts Click to send private message to batts Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
These contestants HAVE to be acting. Who doesn't know
What country has the longest border with the U.S.? She picked Mexico? Come onnnnn.....
And the look on the guys face when he was trying to figure out how many teaspoons were in a tablespoon, (3), he thought it was 2, and was trying to multiply 2 X 10 ??

I forgive the person who didn't know what a trapezoid was. I knew it had 4 sides, but started second guessing myself, and before the answer was given, I had talked myself into it having 5 sides.

If I watch this show again, it'll just be for the 'laugh' factor. I agree, too much time between questions.

MKitty 2975 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-06-07, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MKitty Click to send private message to MKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
I totally agree with the idea that some of the adults are "throwing" the questions. YEah, like the UCLA grad really couldn't answer ANY of the questions on his own before using all his lifelines? PULLLLEASE!
And, the woman who didn't know how many decades were in a millenium? Sheesh.

And yes, I agree...pick up the dang pace..it's painful to watch this soooooo.....slowly....... (which is why I taped the second one and zoomed through it to see if it was any better...)

prosecutor 449 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-09-07, 03:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
I am the opposite of you all. I am totally enjoying this show.
I have a 2 year old in the house and I had to ask her the grade 1 animal science answers. She got the answer correct every time. She learns animal science from watching Diego, that's Dora's cousin for those only familiar with Dora.BTW I am a college graduate hehe.
My point is it's totally easy for the kids to get the answer because they know up to the 5th grade, where we will be trying to rack our brains trying to remember. The accountant last night could have copied the 5th grader but he was not greedy and did not want to put that much pressure on the kid so he quit with $175,000 the kid had the correct answer but IMO he did the right thing by quitting.

04-13-07, 09:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail prosecutor Click to send private message to prosecutor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
This show is funny. No adult has been smarter than a fifth grader as far as I know. One woman came close but did not know the answer to the last question. Apparently after the contestants answer all the questions from grade 1-5 the million dollar question is a grade 11 one.

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-16-07, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"
My biggest problem is that the host rubs it in the face of the contestant everytime they can't answer 5th grade questions. Reminder: The Host is JEFF FOXWORTHY! A guy who has made a living off of being dumber than a 5th grader.

04-26-07, 03:05 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"

>JEFF FOXWORTHY! A guy who
>has made a living off
>of being dumber than a
>5th grader.

LMAO. too funny

agman 11158 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-07, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Are you smarter than a fifth-grader?"

I would love to see Jeff Foxworth have to actually play the game himself..He sucks as the mcee because all he does is talk talk talk......boring

I know everything, except the things I don't know

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •