The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Dexter"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-29-06, 07:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Dexter"
If you have Showtime and a willingness to take a long look into moral grey areas to the point of finding yourself looking back, check it out. I almost got Showtime just to have access to this, but I decided to wait for the DVD and what's probably going to be a host of exceptionally curious extras.

The premise, if you haven't seen the Jeff Lindsay novels: Dexter Morgan, second-generation cop along with his sister, works for the Miami PD as a forsenics expert specializing in blood splatter analysis. That's the day job. At night, he puts all those detective skills to use by going out, finding criminals on his own -- specializing in murderers, pedophiles, and other such specimens -- and murdering them. Basically, Dexter is a serial killer who only goes after other serial killers. He has morals, but they're artificially imposed. He has emotions, but they're faked. And he has a wicked sense of humor for a man who can't find anything funny. Some people just deserve to die. Dexter kills them. End of moral conflict.

Maybe.

Try it. You might like it. (The series, that is. Leave anything else up to the professionals. )

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Dexter CouchTater 09-29-06 1
 RE: Dexter brvnkrz 10-01-06 2
 RE: Dexter Loree 10-01-06 3
 RE: Dexter CattyChat 10-02-06 4
 RE: Dexter Tahj 10-02-06 5
 RE: Dexter Surveysez 10-09-06 6
 RE: Dexter shakes the clown 10-09-06 7
 RE: Dexter Loree 10-10-06 8
 RE: Dexter CouchTater 10-13-06 9
   RE: Dexter shakes the clown 10-13-06 10
       RE: Dexter CouchTater 10-13-06 12
           RE: Dexter shakes the clown 10-13-06 13
               RE: Dexter CouchTater 10-13-06 14
   RE: Dexter HobbsofMI 10-13-06 11
 yes! give this show a chance MollyTV 11-26-06 15
 Time to buy a fresh box of glass sl... Estee 12-04-06 16
   RE: Time to buy a fresh box of glas... Loree 12-05-06 17
       RE: Time to buy a fresh box of glas... Tamena 12-07-06 18
           RE: Time to buy a fresh box of glas... skyhoneybear 12-19-06 20
 the season finale Loree 12-18-06 19
 DVD release/Season 2 bump. Estee 08-22-07 21
 Oh gawds... Estee 09-06-07 22
 RE: Dexter mattben 09-09-07 23
 He's Back... Loree 10-01-07 24
 RE: Dexter fanfromseason1 10-03-07 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CouchTater 1046 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-29-06, 10:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Dexter"
I just saw the advertisements for this show the other day and I was very intrigued. Seems right up my alley. Unfortunately I don't get Showtime. Carp! So, I will have to wait for the DVD, which will be out shortly after the first season, I'm sure.

Tribey Rocks!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-06, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Dexter"
I mentioned this to GF and she said that she had heard about it and wanted to watch it. We set the DVR for it last night and look forward to watching it.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-06, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Dexter"
I am really looking forward to checking this one out. It intrigues me.

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-02-06, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Dexter"
Thanks for the synopsis, Estee. Last night I was watching an ep of "Weeds" on "Showtime onDemand" and there was a very very short promo for Dexter that got me intrigued, but I thought he was just a "serial killer". Now that I know he's a good "serial killer" aka avenger for society ridding the world of evildoers, I'll check out the show.

I added Showtime to my already exorbitant cable bill when the talk was that "Arrested Development" was going to be picked up by Showtime. Sadly, that never happened, but I then started watching all the back eps of Weeds and actually enjoy the series.

If I like "Dexter" at least I'll have 2 shows on Showtime to make the extra cost a little easier to pay each month.

Thanks again, Estee!

Kind Creation of ARNutz

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

10-02-06, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Dexter"
I watched it and really liked it. Wow. So edgy, but funny, too. I kept saying to myself, "I'm sick right? I must be sick."

Tribe rocked my sig!

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-09-06, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Dexter"
I caught the second episode last night and was impressed with the style, depth and type of storey. Dexter's off hour pursuits seem to make so much sense to him, and it's well written enough that I can understand his whys. I't also disturbing and creepy, but in a good kind of way.

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-06, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Dexter"
I don't think its going to suprise anybody that I think this show is amazing.

10-10-06, 08:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Dexter"
I am happy that after the 2nd episode I still enjoy this show. It is just dark enough and strange that I find it entertaining.

10-13-06, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail CouchTater Click to send private message to CouchTater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Dexter"
Well, Showtime is offering a free showing of the first and second airings so I got a chance to watch it.

I love, love, love this show. While it is rather dark, it's so well written and acted that the premise doesn't seem odd at all.

I love the whole father gets him and in a way covers for him. Sick as that might be.
I love that he has no feelings, yet he inspires so much in others.
I love the whole thing with the sergeant thinking he's a freak, while he comes across as so mild mannered.
I love the idea that he only goes after bad people.
I love the girlfriend story line. 2 wounded people getting together and fitting perfectly.
I love the story line of the challenge now posted to Dexter by the refrigerator truck killer.

The only story line I didn't like is the sister. I don't see the sister going anywhere if she has to keep relying on Dexter for answers. It's a lame story line for me. On the other hand, all her pushing for answers gets him thinking.

Unfortunately I will now have to wait for the DVD, again.

A Tribephyl creation

10-13-06, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Dexter"
>>The only story line I didn't
>like is the sister. I
>don't see the sister going
>anywhere if she has to
>keep relying on Dexter for
>answers. It's a lame story
>line for me. On the
>other hand, all her pushing
>for answers gets him thinking.
>
>

...I think you're missing the point of this one. The way they are setting this up in the previews the sister moves to homicide, the refrigerator killer starts copycatting Dexter's previous murders, the sister kinda figures it out and goes to Dexter for advice, and Dexter spends the season trying to throw her off the trail while at the sametime not derailing her career.

I think there is a lot of potential in that storyline.

10-13-06, 05:15 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Dexter"
Well, I would agree with your idea and it could be true. However, from the first two shows, they have made the sister a little too dumb (or the actress is playing it that way) to be able to pick up that much. So far, all she's done is constantly ask Dexter to help her and then when he does give her clues she's still too dumb to figure it out until he explains what he's getting at very clearly. Since the sister did get moved to homicide she definitely will play a part in the whole thing, but figure stuff out on her own, I don't think so.

I think it could be nothing more innocuous than that he helps her by constantly giving her clues as to what's going on as he gets them.

A Tribephyl creation

10-13-06, 08:21 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Dexter"
After ep2 they showed a preview for the rest of the season and some of the footage showed exactly what I was talking about (that's where I got the idea) where the sister was the only person who figured out that the killer was copycatting a fellow serial killer, and then they showed a scene where Dexter said that the killer was copying him right down to using the same crime scenes. Then he was wondering if he left anything behind, hence the need to throw his sister off the trail.

So, I didn't come up with that idea, it was all in the previews. I just pieced it together and speculated on how taht would play out over the season.

10-13-06, 09:38 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Dexter"
Well, I only got a chance to see this show on their web site and those showings didn't show previews to the next show, so I don't know. And at this point I'm not going to get Showtime just for this show, although I like it enough to consider it. I'll just have to wait until the DVD comes out or someone puts it on youtube.

That would be a great story line though.

A Tribephyl creation

HobbsofMI 15959 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-06, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HobbsofMI Click to send private message to HobbsofMI Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Dexter"
I'm starting to like this show too....but my free SHO is up this month so I'll have to get the DVD's when they come out.

sig by Syren and bouncy by IceCat

MollyTV 480 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-26-06, 03:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MollyTV Click to send private message to MollyTV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "yes! give this show a chance"
wow...i love this show...

just finished last weeks show....i still like michael c hall from six feet under...and for some reason i haven't cornered him into his old roll...as david....

i actually laugh and snicker at all the "jokes". and it is very suspenseful.

i hope that showtime realizes that NOT a lot of people get showtime and that is why it might not be a big hit YET...but its a great show...and give people a chance.
mollytv

12-04-06, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Time to buy a fresh box of glass slides."
Dexter has been renewed for a second season.

12-05-06, 03:21 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Time to buy a fresh box of glass slides."
Great News! I love this show. My DH was killing himself laughing at how good Dexter and the other killer were at packaging up the stuff at his dad's house. The cutting, the ties, it was all done very well.

Tamena 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-07-06, 06:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tamena Click to send private message to Tamena Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Time to buy a fresh box of glass slides."
Did the same here, I love this show!

Showtime has definately earned a long term subscriber in this house. This is the 3rd series I really really enjoy
Dead Like Me - hysterical! We loved it and were sad to see it go
Weeds - wasn't so sure at the begining then got hooked big time
Dexter - another one I can't wait to watch every week.

I don't like The Sopranos at all or any of the shows like it, I love these dark humor ones though =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karma doesn't come back on people because some universal controller-god pushes buttons. It comes back on people because they dig holes for themselves to fall into.

skyhoneybear 158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-19-06, 12:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail skyhoneybear Click to send private message to skyhoneybear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Time to buy a fresh box of glass slides."
Tamena- I love the same shows you mentioned on Showtime. We get Showtime on Demand free with Showtime, and that's how I got into Dead Like Me. Weeds is awesome, that finale was out of control! I also like the series Barbershop, but I don't know if they are bringing that back.

DEXTER IS AN AWESOME SHOW! I loved this first season, and can't wait for the 2nd season. It kept me guessing, and I had no idea that he was Dexter's Brother. I love shows like that! With the Showtime on demand, we can watch the season over and over again.

Yay for Dexter!!!!(He's cute too!)

Created by PhoenixMons

12-18-06, 02:08 PM (EST)
19. "the season finale"
Loved the finale. Boy this season seemed short.

I knew there had to be a reason Rudy knew more about Dexter's past than Dexter did. He was the older brother who remembered what Dexter could not.

08-22-07, 04:30 PM (EST)
21. "DVD release/Season 2 bump."
The Season #1 set just came out this week. Extras include two commentary tracks, a little special feature known only as 'The Academy Of Blood', a couple of episodes of other Showtime series, the first two chapters of Dexter In The Dark (the next novel, which comes out 9/18), 'and much more'. No idea what that might mean 'cause I haven't started playing the thing yet: it just showed up this morning.

Season #2 will premiere September 30th.

09-06-07, 07:21 PM (EST)
22. "Oh gawds..."
Entertainment Tonight just described our favorite serial killer as 'the gritty detective who deals out justice his own way.'

So basically, no one connected with ET has ever actually seen the show.

mattben 1265 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-09-07, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mattben Click to send private message to mattben Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Dexter"
Dexter is interesting. Not a must watch thing, though.

10-01-07, 11:58 AM (EST)
24. "He's Back..."
I enjoyed watching the show lastnight. But Dexter is in some trouble. He has Doakes following him. He has let 2 victims get away from him. And now his dumping ground has been discovered. And probably worst of all... his sis is living with him. Poor Dexter.

fanfromseason1 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-03-07, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fanfromseason1 Click to send private message to fanfromseason1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Dexter"
We had the Showtime free preview this weekend. Am watching the last season on On Demand and love it!!
Wasn't sure what to think of the premise but the show is great. Characters are fab.
Watched the season premier and am considering getting Showtime for this one show.
I liked the lead in Six Feet Under too.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •