The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NBC's Surface"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-20-05, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NBC's Surface"
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-05 AT 05:12 PM (EST)

Did anyone else catch this last night? I'm still trying to figure out if there are going to be any significant differences between NBC's Surface, CBS' Threshold, and ABC's Invasion (unless I'm missing something, it's "Scary Aliens Are Here!" in all three.)

I think Surface's premiere probably came off a little slow because (not having the benefit of Threshold's twice as long 2-hour premiere) it had to use its initial one-hour episode to setup a lot of backstory before things got going, but having seen both, judging from only the premieres, I thought Surface looked more interesting -- although that's probably based more on the fact that it looks like Surface will be a heavily serialized series (a format I personally prefer) while Invasion looks to be heading in a more self-contained episode direction.

Based on the preliminary ratings, both seem to have premiered pretty well, with Friday night's Threshold broadcast drawing 8.6 million viewers and finishing as the night's most watched program and Surface doing even better (as it should on a Monday night) and doing about 10.9 million viewers. Unfortunately Surface's success came at the expense of Fox's Arrested Development (4.6 million), but what can you do.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: NBC's Surface Snidget 09-20-05 1
 RE: NBC's Surface bystander 09-20-05 2
 RE: NBC's Surface Tahj 09-20-05 3
   RE: NBC's Surface Fox41 09-20-05 4
   RE: NBC's Surface SurvivorBlows 09-20-05 5
       RE: NBC's Surface Tahj 09-21-05 6
       RE: NBC's Surface foonermints 09-22-05 7
 RE: NBC's Surface okaychatt 09-23-05 8
   RE: NBC's Surface SurvivorBlows 09-29-05 10
 RE: NBC's Surface bystander 09-27-05 9
   RE: NBC's Surface SurvivorBlows 09-29-05 11
       RE: NBC's Surface Swami 09-29-05 12
           RE: NBC's Surface SurvivorBlows 09-29-05 13
               RE: NBC's Surface Swami 09-29-05 15
           Ep 2 ratings SurvivorBlows 09-29-05 14
 RE: NBC's Surface Loree 09-30-05 16
   RE: NBC's Surface Comrade_Snarky 10-02-05 17
       RE: NBC's Surface Swami 10-12-05 20
 Still Like It! bystander 10-11-05 18
 RE: NBC's Surface Loree 10-11-05 19
 RE: NBC's Surface Buggy 10-18-05 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-20-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I know the radio morning guy really liked it. I'm not sure how smart it was for there to be three of the same show all starting in the same season (I guess all trying to get the people that watch Lost or War of the Worlds or something, usually when you get something like this they are after the last big hit's audience rather that being creative enough to go after one of their own).

I'm tempted to wait to see which one of the three actually makes it to or past November Sweeps before investing in any of them. Although like in reality TV the person that makes it to then end is often not the best of the bunch.

I hereby declare you: 'Blacksmith of the Underworld'--ZombieBaby

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

bystander 4967 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-20-05, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I caught it (no pun intended) last night and liked it. DW rolled her eyes when I said I wanted to watch it but then she ended up glued to the TV also. I taped, but haven't watched Threshold and I plan on watching Invasion tomorrow. I'll have to see which is best and cut the other two of them. Too many shows to catch all of them.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-20-05, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: NBC's Surface"
Based on the preliminary ratings, both seem to have premiered pretty well, with Invasion drawing 8.6 million viewers and finishing as the night's most watched program and Surface doing even better (as it should on a Monday night) and doing about 10.9 million viewers. Unfortunately that came at the expense of Fox's Arrested Development (4.6 million), but what can you do.

You mean Threshold drawing 8.6 million, right, since Invasion doesn't premiere until tomorrow night?

Moves courtesy of Syren

Fox41 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-20-05, 05:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fox41 Click to send private message to Fox41 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: NBC's Surface"
>
>"You mean Threshold drawing 8.6 million,
>right, since Invasion doesn't premiere
>until tomorrow night?"

GOD. That was a close one! I was getting pissed at myself b/c I thought I missed the premiere of Invasion.

I really liked Surface. I found it interesting & the acting was good. I plan to keep watching it. I think Invasion is going to be good too. I can't wait to see it.

I'm trying to keep up with too many damn tv shows!

09-20-05, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: NBC's Surface"
LAST EDITED ON 09-20-05 AT 05:17 PM (EST)

>You mean Threshold drawing 8.6 million,
>right, since Invasion doesn't premiere
>until tomorrow night?

Yep, sorry, see I already can't keep them straight!

Last I heard Invasion still premieres on Wednesday after Lost, stealing Alias' time period as ABC drives a stake through Jennifer Garner's show by putting it up against Survivor on Thursdays (if you can't tell, I'm not too happy with ABC about that move... )

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-21-05, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: NBC's Surface"
Well, it's supposed to be Alias' last season anyway, so maybe they'll let it play out until the end of the season.

Moves courtesy of Syren

foonermints 12302 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-05, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I finally got around to watching my tape of Threshold today. It wasn't bad, especially the promos at the end: Next week on Surface.

Handcrafted by RollDice
How was I to know? Stupid VCR missed the beginning!

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-23-05, 08:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: NBC's Surface"
<Invasion looks to be heading in a more self-contained episode direction.

I read somewhere that self-contained stories like Law and Order or X-Files tend to do better in reruns. The theory is that folks can pick any episode and know exactly what is going on.

In serialized story lines, people need to be familiar with the characters and what happened last week.

Serialized plots may be more interesting, but they don't tend to do as well in reruns.

Interesting, isn't it? I hadn't considered that before.

CBS may be looking as much to the future as to the present.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

09-29-05, 00:30 AM (EST)
10. "RE: NBC's Surface"
LAST EDITED ON 09-29-05 AT 00:30 AM (EST)

>CBS may be looking as much
>to the future as to
>the present.

I think that only works if CBS (or some other Viacom division) is one of the production companies (I have no clue of that's the case for this show.)

09-27-05, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I like this better than Threshold. Something about sea monsters over aliens. Maybe they are alien sea monsters, who knows. It's entertaining anyway IMO. I Can't wait to see where the storyline goes.

09-29-05, 00:36 AM (EST)
11. "RE: NBC's Surface"
Having seen the first two episodes of both now, I also think that Surface is shaping up to be the more interesting show -- at least to me. But that's not to mean that Threshold sucks, it's just not as compelling to me right now. But neither of them (nor Invasion) are currently anywhere as good as Lost started out last year.

Isn't Surface the one that showed a grandfather and his grandson who were night fishing somewhere in Central America watch objects fall from the sky and into the ocean? If so, I think they are defintely some type of aliens.

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 09:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: NBC's Surface"
Yep, that's the one. Then Grandpa predicted "good fishing" tomorrow because shooting stars signify luck to fishermen, I guess. This signifies foreshadowing to me. Maybe grandpa and the kid have a fatal or close call with the sea monster in a later ep?

09-29-05, 11:22 AM (EST)
13. "RE: NBC's Surface"
Maybe... but I'm also thinking that it might have just been a one-time throw away scene that helped foreshadow the more basic idea that sightings were coming in from all around the world... an idea that they picked back up on at the end of Ep2 when they showed the worldwide sightings map. I'd probably be surprised if we see the grandpa and grandson again.

The interesting thing is that NBC ran a radio commercial around here yesterday that said something like the fate of the world is in the hands of "three people" -- and something like "they don't know it yet."

If so, who are they? Lake Bell's character and the Gulf Coast guy would seem to be two of them -- what, is the kid who's keeping the little ET in his house going to be the third? I wouldn't think it's Lake Bell's character's son.

09-29-05, 05:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I saw a TV commercial that identified the thre you mention as The Three--Marine Biologist lady, Gulf Coast fisherguy, and the ET kid, who has named his ET "Nimrod."

09-29-05, 11:30 AM (EST)
14. "Ep 2 ratings"
Btw, Surface's ratings fell off quite a bit in its second episode, dropping it's viewership numbers down below the double-digit 10 million mark and actually down to about 8.9 million viewers. It finished third among both viewers and Adults 18-49 behind Wife Swap and CBS' sitcom block.

If it wasn't for the fact that only about 2 million viewers separated first place from third place and that except for My Name Is Earl, the rest of NBC's new shows have also failed to light the world on fire, I'd start to worry a little. Two shows that should worry are Arrest Development and Kitchen Confidential -- neither broke 4 million viewers. Arrested actually seems to somehow be doing worse on Mondays than Sundays. Fox already had the first cancellation of the season (Head Cases) it might soon have the second (Kitchen.) At least I don't think anything else has been canceled yet -- I could be wrong about that.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I like this show so far. I like it better than Threshold which I have already quit watching.

Comrade_Snarky 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-02-05, 04:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Comrade_Snarky Click to send private message to Comrade_Snarky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: NBC's Surface"
It's pretty spectacularly cheesy so far.

Someone tell me they noticed that two different actresses portrayed the "mom-who-noticed-the-fish-were-gone" in the first and second episode. It's bugging the crap out of me who it was in the pilot, any suggestions?

10-12-05, 10:20 AM (EST)
20. "RE: NBC's Surface"
I thought she looked different between the two eps, but I guess I didn't care enough to worry about it. Mostly I was looking at the fish tank. As totally clueless parents, Change-a-Mom and her hubbie are kind of funny. Not really funny, but almost.

And yes, this show needs more meat and less cheese.

10-11-05, 12:00 PM (EST)
18. "Still Like It!"
This show is starting to have a "Close Encounters" feeling with the drawing of the hole bit. I'm still liking this show. I loved it when the sea creature ate the girls dog. Had to laugh eventhough I knew it was coming.

If anyone missed any episodes, they are replaying them all starting tonight 7:00-11:00 on SciFi.

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-05, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: NBC's Surface"
Well I have finally had it with this show. It was less and less appealing as it went. And we could see the puppy being eaten coming from a mile away. I think my big problem is I really don't like any of the characters. I can't stand the female lead and I was actually hoping she would be killed when she got out of the boat. That was when I knew I had enough of this show.

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-05, 06:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: NBC's Surface"

My daughter watched with me last night, and she really liked it.
She's decided that the creatures are dragons, and even brought out some dragon books to prove it to me. I have to admit the little one looks just like the dragon hatchlings in the books she has.
It's good fun, not as scary as the others.

I wasn't impressed with Threshold at all, couldn't even get all the way through the first episode and haven't watched it since.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •