The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-13-05, 11:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Just got the Dragnet 1967 DVDs. A few thoughts:

What makes this more watchable than the 1950s Dragnets is Harry Morgan. He was a perfect counterweight to Jack Webb. Webb and his writers got smart and let the Friday and Gannon characters bounce off each other.

Nice to see what TV Land had left out from various episodes that I'd already seen.

You quickly notice that Webb et al use the same actors again and again throughout the series. Look especially for Bobby Troup, who went on to play Dr. Early on "Emergency!", often in the role of a bartender. Heather Menzies also appears often as a young teen.

Yeah, it's camp and it's preachy, and it seems a bit dated now. But Webb wanted it camp and preachy. And it somehow manages to straddle the dramatic and humorous without being too much of either.

And maybe the interrogations aren't *quite* what happen IRL either, but hey, there's only 22 minutes.

"And I bet your mother had a nice bark." --Friday, to a female murder suspect

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-14-05 1
   RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Tahj 07-14-05 3
       RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-14-05 4
       RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Big Al 07-19-05 6
           RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-19-05 7
               RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Big Al 07-19-05 8
                   RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-20-05 9
                       RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... ginger 08-17-05 17
                           RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 08-22-05 20
 RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Cygnus X1 07-14-05 2
   RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-19-05 5
       RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Cygnus X1 07-20-05 10
           RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-20-05 11
               RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Cygnus X1 07-20-05 12
                   RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-20-05 13
                       RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 07-20-05 14
                           RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Cygnus X1 07-20-05 15
 RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 08-16-05 16
   RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... Cygnus X1 08-19-05 18
       RE: The DAWs have been changed to p... RealityMom 08-22-05 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

RealityMom 560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

07-14-05, 01:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Cyg,
I've always liked Harry Morgan and he's had a really long career- for most of it, I think he was underappreciated. I even remember him from a show when I was really little "December Bride" and he played the son-in-law. It wasn't until he became Colonel Potter on "Mash" that his true style and range became apparent. But "that's just the facts, ma'am".
I've been thinking that there should be a thread for older shows that are out on DVD. We've been watching the first season of "Moonlighting" and it's really held up well. The patter between Maddy and David is as clever as I remembered, Miss DiPesto is as endearing and Bruce looks great with hair! Also, on either the first or a really early episode, Tim Robbins has a small part. I love when you see an old show or movie and recognize someone who's since become famous. That's one of the treats of the original "Twilight Zone".
We've also been watching "Dream On" from the early 90s. It's by the creators of "Friends". These episodes are all new to us. It's great to discover or rediscover TV oldies but goodies.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-14-05, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Oh. My. Gaw! You said "December Bride." I? have not even thought about that show since, well, since forever. So, how do "My Little Margie" and "The Ann Sothern Show" hit ya?

Moves courtesy of Syren

07-14-05, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityMom Click to send private message to RealityMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
OMG, Tahj,
I can still see the talking photos of Margie and her dad, Vernon Allbright, who worked at Honeywell and Todd! How about her boyfriend, Freddie? Darn, I'm wa---ay too old! I remember two Ann Sothern shows! "Private Secretary" which my dad always teased me about because I called it "Private Separate-terry" (at least I was very little ) and the Ann Sothern show where she played Katie who worked at a hotel. I can even sing the theme song and I bet I may be the only person in America who can make that claim. "Katie, all the fellows go for Katie, cause Katie's the one they adore". DVD even has the Loretta Young Show and Joan Davis's "I Married Joan". I loved Eve Arden as "Our Miss Brooks". The fifties, when TV was black and white as a technological and not artistic statement. Thanks for the memory. I'll now pay my dues to AARP!

Big Al 293 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-19-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Big%20Al Click to send private message to Big%20Al Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Spring Byington is hot So was Mr's Odetts. Wonder what parts those two have been playing lately.

07-19-05, 01:14 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Was Mrs. Odetts "Our Miss Brooks" landlady? Speaking of Miss Brooks, remember Walter Denton who later played Rambo's boss- Richard Crenna? It's amazing the amount of space the brain has for TV trivia! TV Heaven must be pretty crowded with all the people up there. I just hope that George and Gracie are reunited.

Big Al 293 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-19-05, 02:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Big%20Al Click to send private message to Big%20Al Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Mrs. O'Detts was one of of Margies neighbors in the building. She looked like she was in her 80s back then. There was also a Black elevator operator in the building and his portrayal would now be considered racist. In that show one of her father's girlfriends was Hillary Brook who used to appear in some English B movies of the 40s (the Wolfman, Sherlock Holnmes, etc.) She was also in the Abboott and Costello TV series.

07-20-05, 00:11 AM (EST)
9. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Thanks, Al,
I didn't realize just how many shows had little old ladies on them until I got Mrs. Odetts mixed up with Miss Brooks' landlady and Mrs. Trumble (or something like that) who babysat for little Ricky sometimes. I know we could just look them all up on IMDB or TVTome but it's so much more fun just remembering ourselves. I'd forgotten about the elevator operator but I think he was played by Willie Best. Gale Gordon who started on the Miss Brooks show ended up with Lucy after Desi. It just goes on and on.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

08-17-05, 06:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Ahem!

Ole fart stepping in.
Our Miss Brooks was the incomparable Eve Arden. Richard Crenna was also in that, with a little squeaky voice.

08-22-05, 01:00 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Ginger,
As an even older fart, or AK as my grandpa would say in Yiddish, I've been thinking about Eve Arden since you posted. I really liked her a lot. Her sarcastic attitude and great asides were always a pleasure to watch. I remember one great episode in which we got a double dose of Eve- she played Connie and Bonnie. I used to feel bad that she was on TV at the same time as Lucy. I felt that she was always in Lucy's shadow and didn't get the credit she deserved. But I looked up the Emmys and she did win one, so I'm glad she did get recognition. Also, some funny trivia. Years ago, I read an autobiography of Eve and she mentioned that her husband's first name was Brooks, so of course, I assumed that was where she got her title character's name (like Mary Tyler Moore naming her TV son Richie after her son) but it turns out she met him after the character was developed (similar to Loretta Swit marrying a man named Holihan) It was great casting to see Eve play the principal in "Grease". It's amazing how TV finally gave some people the showcase they needed to expose their talent.

07-14-05, 08:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
LAST EDITED ON 07-15-05 AT 10:49 AM (EST)

Oh, one downside to this collection: why have a double-sided DVD and a second DVD with only three shows, and a third one only with a radio version? Doesn't make much sense to me.

ETA: It's also fascinating to watch the portrayal of policewomen. Granted, it was 1967, and no one will ever mistake me for a feminist, but eeesh, are they treated as garbage!

One officer in particular was only good for getting lunch for Friday and Gannon, and then in a lapse of continuity, she talks about her daughter and husband in one episode . . . then offers to ride Friday home in the next, right after Gannon lectures him about being a lonely single man.

RM, we need to get you a siggie.

07-19-05, 02:02 AM (EST)
5. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Cyg,
We were watching an episode of "Dream On" tonight and it was a parody of - guess what? "Dragnet". It started "This is the city...". It just seemed such a funny coincidence after both shows were just discussed in one thread.
(There is no rhyme or reason to what's on a DVD- I've had only one in about two years that was two-sided. Some have 1 1/2 hours of viewing. Others have 3 or 4 hours. Go figure?)

07-20-05, 00:40 AM (EST)
10. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
BTW RM,

I'm sure it's not a perfect likeness, but it's for you. Enjoy.

A Cyg sig.

07-20-05, 01:46 AM (EST)
11. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Cyg,
I'm going to cry! I just finished watching "Average Joe" and none of their makeovers look as good as the image in the sig. She's beautiful. I better not show it to my husband or he'll want to trade the "real" me in for the "reality" one. I had actually been inspired by your comment the other day and draw a sig which I thought would be pretty representational of me but I have no idea how to scan an image, etc. etc. In fact, I don't even know how to add yours to my sign-in. I looked at OT help but still wasn't sure what to do. But it was fun scanning that thread all the way back to 2002 and seeing lots of people who were there in the beginning! You're very sweet and I hope I'm correct in assuming that Lady Cub is your significant other. If so, she's a lucky woman. My husband's written poems for me but never created a sig and such a lovely one at that. Thanks so much. Now if I can figure out how to add it, I will, gratefully.

07-20-05, 09:14 AM (EST)
12. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Red wavy flag coming your way.

You are TOO kind! And don't worry, I'm not seeking to replace your hubby! I have a feeling Ladycub might say a thing or two about it.

Sigs by Bob for the ornithologically incorrect.

07-20-05, 11:32 AM (EST)
13. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Hi, This may be the first in a series of tests to see how computer literate I am. LOL

07-20-05, 11:39 AM (EST)
14. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Wow! It worked and looks great! Now I see why everyone was doing tests because all the message shows is the URL. Oh, me of little faith. Thanks again.

07-20-05, 03:34 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
It also said you could just use the preview button

It's you.

08-16-05, 04:41 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Cyg,
The NY Times must be honoring your love of old tv shows and also in recogition of your interview- today's crossword puzzle had the following theme (big) clue:
(Since you don't have the cross letters, I'll give you a hint- 3 words,13 letters, starts with "W")
Here's the Times clue- "Actor Jack, circling the globe"?

08-19-05, 07:16 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
I was going to say "DAW", but . . .

WORLDWIDEWEBB

Thanks for making me think a bit!

08-22-05, 12:47 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The DAWs have been changed to protect the innocent."
Great job, Cyg,
I love when crosswords have such clever answers. Now that I know you watch TAR (and are our resident Bartlett ) I hope to see some great summaries from you.

You make me think too. My grandpa loved Gorgeous George.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •