The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The cash factor."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-27-11, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The cash factor."
Let's say, just for the fun of it, that Scotty had waited a year, gone on X-Factor, and won. What would he have earned? A million dollars a year for five years. Admittedly, we don't know much about how that works -- it could be a guaranteed minimum with potential for increase through sales or every person on earth can have your release and you still only get that year's million. But it's five million dollars for winning that show. Guaranteed.

What did Scotty get for winning AI? Well, we all know the scale slowly increases for the victor: it's this much for your initial release, and so much more if you get a second grouping out, up through six potential collections. But this time, the winner is a minor -- and that means the contract had to be a matter of public record.

The Internet loves public records.

Quoting Thefunnystone at VFTW:

'Scotty is set to earn $250,000 for winning and recording his first album. He'll also make a bit more for licensing his image for products, royalties for his music, and for going on tour.'

(Note: tour money is generally around 300k.)

'Lauren Alaina is making $87,500 (but it doubles if she records an album). This sounds low, and it's even funnier when you look at what some of the other minors made for being finalists on Idol. Jordin Sparks and David Archuleta made $360,000 after their first albums. So Scotty took a pay cut of over $100,000. Guess it pays to let a stupid hick win since he doesn't know any better. Now it makes even more sense why the final 2 ended up being these two.'

Opinions over possible hickdom aside, this kind of math tilts the field further towards Simon's pet project. You could make a very real argument that the most long-term asset you get from AI is the name. We've certainly had winners who didn't get the PR, promotions, studio backing, and long-term commitment to their success. But you do get the name behind you -- and not much else.

If you're going to be a flash in the pan, you might as well go for the show that's willing to buy the most gunpowder. And if Simon can prove himself able to not only find a worthy winner, but stay behind hir and make the push up the charts...

Idol may not be in too much trouble next year: I think the talent pool will be diluted, but the name will still draw someone in. The year after that, if Simon can make it all work while his original home rests on its lack of laurels --

-- do you think Ryan was smart enough to save anything?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •