The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings - Top 4"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-11, 10:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings - Top 4"
First up, I have to say that this week was - to me - a let down. I expected more this week. The most entertaining part of the show tonight was watching Lady Gaga make the 4 finalists squirm. She was the highlight.

How to rank ? I'm having a tough time tonight. The pre-show hype about James and "Don't Stop Believing" was an immediate letdown right out of the gate. He made it magical? How so?

Here are my rankings, for what its worth this week.

1 - James - He gets the top spot for showmanship, consistancy, and more risk taking. Both songs were risks, especially with the Glee kid's version, and doing a novelty song for his second. He pulled them both off well, and surprised with the 2nd. His showmanship is topped by nobody else.

2 - Scotty - Scotty gets edged out, but he has definately more emotion, and like James - he is consistant. I thought his 2nd song was a bit hokey for this point in the show...but what do I know? Loved his first, though.

3 - Haley - Haley has found her voice, but i think its too late. Her second song blew me away. I didn't like the first.

4 - Lauren - My wife said it best - "She never seems comfortable", and I have to agree. She has always lacked the confidence that the others have. JLo has been saying this week after week. She has the voice, but not the confidence to take it to the next level.

I think both boys are safe, and either girl could go. Flip a coin.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings - Top 4 cahaya 05-11-11 1
 RE: Rankings - Top 4 KeithFan 05-12-11 2
   RE: Rankings - Top 4 csnumber23 05-12-11 3
 RE: Rankings - Top 4 csnumber23 05-12-11 4
   RE: Rankings - Top 4 geekboy 05-12-11 5
       RE: Rankings - Top 4 csnumber23 05-12-11 9
 RE: Rankings - Top 4 Max Headroom 05-12-11 6
   RE: Rankings - Top 4 Tummy 05-12-11 7
       RE: Rankings - Top 4 Max Headroom 05-12-11 11
   RE: Rankings - Top 4 geekboy 05-12-11 8
       RE: Rankings - Top 4 Max Headroom 05-12-11 12
           RE: Rankings - Top 4 zazzy 05-12-11 13
   RE: Rankings - Top 4 zazzy 05-12-11 10
 RE: Rankings - Top 4 frodis 05-12-11 14
 RE: Rankings - Top 4 Belle Book 05-12-11 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-11-11, 11:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
I think both boys are safe, and either girl could go. Flip a coin.

Yup.

1. James
Song #1: Very fine performance by James. Nothing fancy, he doesn't need to be. Solid up vocals that fit in very well with the rock band background, perfectly in his element. It's clear he didn't intend to "make it his own" or "jazz it up", but instead do a straight up version that, granted, others have attempted in a similar vein. The difference here is that he delivered. Both thumbs up.
Song #2: Well, this was entertaining! I wondered about the song choice at first (it came up last week), but he took it for a completely new spin. Vocally, well, not the best we've heard from him relative to some of his past songs, but this performance was was a definite piece of showmanship abetted by the pimp spot complete with an arrangement that highlighted the show with a final bang of fireworks. There was concern about the death spot with his early placing, but that's easily erased by this pimp spot performance. They want him in. So do I.

2. Scotty
Song #1: This guy is already playing in his own country music concert, of polished professional quality on stage and in voice. I think I'd actually like listening to him more than watching him. Thumbs up for a classic Scotty performance.
Song #2: Nice, I liked this, playful, entertaining and fun, and still on the mark with his trademark voice. It's not something he'd want to do often, but just the right song at the right time for variety's sake as well as lightening things up a bit. It was gettin' heavy there for a while, and while I wasn't wow'ed by this performance, it was refreshing.

3. Haley
Song #1: Don't argue with the judges, Haley. It won't gain you votes and it could lose you a lot. Haley got grilled far worse than she deserved and we're definitely seeing bias on the panel. As for the performance, we see Haley continue to improve and improvise, both, but that's hard to do with an iconic song like this one. While she reined in her vocal gymnastics for a much smoother and consistent performance than in the past, I wasn't that thrilled by this performance. I'll give her a pass on this one.
Song #2: Typical Haley there, but I sure as heck didn't feel the love. If someone sang that to me with that look, I'd run. Ok vocals, I suppose, I just didn't jive into it. The thought crossed my mind that she belongs in the early Big Band era, and is 60-70 years past her time. Her first performance was better.

4. Lauren
Song #1: About what we can expect from Lauren. The vocals seem to be pretty good and she has that sweet look (apart from the dress, which is totally distracting), but was I excited, enthralled, wow'ed, or even experience a single spine chilling moment? Nope. I'll give her a pass.
Song #2: Hmmm... she follows Scotty in an attempt to play the crowd, moving around off-stage and back on, but I didn't find this as entertaining. And thinking back on the original song, I wasn't that impressed either. Ok vocal performance, as usual, so this is an as usual Lauren critique. Again, I'll give her a pass, but it's not Idol winning material, much less song sales material. It also looks like she took a page or two from Haley. Copykitten.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

KeithFan 7414 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-11, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-11 AT 00:33 AM (EST)

1. Haley. Wish she would have picked more popular songs this week simply for the fact that it seems to garner votes. I could really feel the passion she had in the both songs. Hands down the best vocalist left, but as always the best singers rarely win this show. I don't get the Haley hate, is it because she is pretty and talented?

2. Scotty. A study in contrast for me this week. Really liked the first; he showed true feelings that came across in his singing. The second was a train wreck. Watching Alfred E Newman strut around on stage singing about love was like watching a bad high school talent show, and he's not the winner.

3. James. Wish I could rank him lower, but this is the final 4. I'll die happy if just once one of the judges would call him out on his out of tune singing. Randy, please, just say "I know Steve Perry, Steve Perry is a friend of mine.. son, you're no Steve Perry". The only thing good about the Journey song that I can think of is that it was more in tune than last week, but both weeks he missed more notes than a blind school teacher. The second song was like a bad Vegas show, quite a ways off the Strip. Faux rock is alive and well and embodied in James, I stopped believing many a week ago.

4. Lauren. Didn't like either song, but more importantly, who's idea was it to go meet Lady Gaga in that Prairie Dawn dress? The first song I cant even remember at this point. The second was probably the worst she has ever done, but the tanker judges just couldn't pull the trigger and call her on it. Can't make her cry again can we? Completely horrid. Too bad she wasnt born a few years earlier, I bet when she is 21 she'll be a lot better performer... or else walking to Taco Bell in sweat pants 6 days a week. Too close to call at this point.

csnumber23 153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-12-11, 00:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail csnumber23 Click to send private message to csnumber23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
I agree! I don't understand why they only criticize Haley and no one else. Barely anyone else all season.

05-12-11, 01:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail csnumber23 Click to send private message to csnumber23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
Let me start by saying Haley has passed James on my personal list as to who I would like to see win. Although I know it won't happen.

1st - Haley - To me, she gets better and better every week. Isn't that what they are supposed to do? The other 3 are staying about the same while she gets better. For whatever reason, they want her gone as they choose to only criticize her. I though both her songs were excellent!!

2nd - James - I love the song Don't Stop Believing but his vocal performance of it was not that good in my opinion. He did as always put on a great performance though. His 2nd song vocals weren't great either. I still think he will win but has fallen my personal 2nd choice.

3rd - Scotty - I thought his 1st song was pretty good but didn't care for the 2nd song. As I've said before, he is extremely talented and will certainly be a big hit in Country whether he wins or not.

4th - Lauren - I thought she was okay on both songs, not great but not bad. I was extremely turned off last week to the fact she cried her eyes out and wasn't even eliminated. She cried because she thought she was gone. To me, she is clearly below the other 3 left.

Overall - Lauren should be the one going home and I agree with it being a coin flip between her and Haley. I am still picking Lauren to go but my gut says Haley will go. That is what the show wants. I certainly hope it is Lauren or Scotty to go. Both talented but I'm a Rock N Roll guy for the most part and Country isn't my cup of tee.

05-12-11, 08:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
If I had a little extra laying around, I'd bet a good chunk of cash on Scotty taking it all. I think its already decided. Scotty vs. James in finale, with Scotty taking the big prize.

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

05-12-11, 08:49 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
I would not be surprised if you are right. I think it's definitely between him and James although my choice is Haley. The final will be James and Scotty! I would be shocked if it isn't.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-11, 08:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
Last night was definitely hit-and-miss for all four singers-- I didn't think anybody did a great job on both of their songs.

1. Haley - When she's on, she's the best of them (most recently, "House of the Rising Sun"). Last night's first song wasn't her best, but the second song was outstanding, and I think she has the highest ceiling of the finalists.

2. James - Clearly the best overall performer, but I thought both of his songs last night were mediocre. In terms of pure singing, he's among the least talented of the final four, but I still enjoy watching him.

3. Scotty - As always, he sounded very polished, but what the judges called a "fun" song, I called a dud. He's on track for a successful music career, but I don't see him winning this season.

4. Lauren - She's out of her league at this point. Her voice is good but she's not on the same level as the rest.

Side note: I had no idea that Randy played bass for Journey until last night.

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-12-11, 08:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-11 AT 08:29 AM (EST)

You're kidding, right. Or you've missed every episode he's "mentioned" it in.

05-12-11, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
Not kidding. I watch AI on delay via TiVo and fast forward through the filler, usually watching only the songs and the judges' comments. I must've missed all of Randy's prior references.

05-12-11, 08:38 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
I'm convinced beyond any doubt that Scotty will be the American Idol Season 10 Winner.

Mark my word. There, i've said it.

geekboy

05-12-11, 10:44 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
Even though I like Haley and James better, I think you're right.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-12-11, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-11 AT 12:36 PM (EST)

I agree.

Scotty still has never had the pimp spot. And there's got to be only one reason for that--that he is so far ahead of the rest of the pack that he does not need the pimp spot.

Scotty has had good placement in the second half of the show, though throughout most of the top 13. He has had other pimpage, too.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-11, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/item_e4aDYjaQL5J68vdGFn3yCJ

scroll down to se pic of Randy circa Journey years

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-11, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
1. Hayley: I thought the judges were way too harsh with her on song #1. It made me wonder if they're actually making her look like she's in jeopardy to get more votes for her. (uh oh, she's in trouble, better vote for her!) I know that the general consensus is that they want her gone, but if they do, I don't think that roasting her was they way to ensure that. When has America said, "hey, the judges are right!"

That said, I didn't care for her first song choice, but she sang it passionately. And I didn't mind her talking back to them. Honestly, when Randy said that round one goes to everybody BUT Haley, I thought that was just mean. If it were Lauren, there's no way she'd have gotten that treatment lest she melt into a puddle of goo, so it's a good thing that Haley can take it.

Plus, I loved the creepy way she sang "I who have nothing." It's a creepy song, and she sang it like a derranged stalker. Loved it. Being pissed off worked for her.

2. Scotty: My first thought with Song #1 was that he was going for the heart-tugging message, carefully chosen to go along with the Osama bin Ladin news and evoking Jesus and patriotism and, and, and. . . targeting his country fanbase. Okay, slick move.

I did say to Mr. Fro, how old was Scotty, 7? in 2001? So when he sang about remembering how we felt that day all I could think about was, do YOU, Scotty, remember? Then I figured, well, if he was 7 maybe he did know what was going on. And then I thought, or maybe not. And then I thought, I shouldn't be thinking about all of this while he's singing.

Song #2: Not my favorite from him. I guess it was good to go up-tempo. He's in it to win it, as opposed to the others who are just there for the free Coke merchandise. (right.)

3. James. The first song was fine - I can't call it karaoke because that's supposed to be an insult but I didn't find anything all that special about it. It was like we were watching a Journey cover band, which is fine, but uninteresting. I did thing that the kid needs to rein it in on the pyrotechnics.

Song 2: Didn't love it. It sounded all over the place to me. And this song was the moment that I've decided that I've had my fill of James. He's good, and all, but I'm over the novelty factor of his rockin' stuff and I'm finding his pimpage a little over the top. Sure, he's good. He's not THE BEST EVAH.

4. Lauren: She's young, so I can give her a pass for the tears and the lack of confidence and all, but my main issue with her is that I see zero growth for her this season. Her performance quality has not improved very much, her voice, while beautiful, hasn't really been stretched it its potential, and her lack of confidence is getting uncomfortable. I don't want to vote for her to make her feel better. That's not the point. Song #1: meh, and upstaged by Scotty. Sorry, but uplifting faith-filled song got trumped by Jesus Song with a Side of Patriotism with Timely Death of the Bad Guy for dessert. Oh Lauren, you needed to beat Scotty to the buffet.

Song #2: I did not like. The evil thing was silly, and with the Gaga segment being all about the evil thing followed by a song whose lyric is primarily, "I'm evil evil evil" just made it land on the ear like it was covered in spikes and rolled in lemon juice.

Overall, I agree with geekboy in that I didn't think this was a great night.

Belle Book 3556 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-12-11, 07:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rankings - Top 4"
Here are my rankings, beginning with the individual ones:

1. James, "Don't Stop Believing".

2. Haley, "I Who Have Nothing". She really came back on fire, but I preferred James's first performance to hers.

3. James, "Love Potion #9". I didn't like the screaming, but he sure knows how to put on a show!

4. Haley, "Earth Song". It was better than the judges claimed, but I liked the other songs better.

5. Lauren, "Anyway". She had great vocals, but it was a little bit predictable.

6. Scotty, "Where Were You". It was a smart song choice, and it was pleasant, but it wasn't as good as the first five.

7. Lauren, "Trouble". It was unexpected, but it wasn't great.

8. Scotty, "Young Blood". It wasn't bad, it was just cheesy.

Overall:

1. James.

2. Haley.

3. Lauren.

4. Scotty.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •