LAST EDITED ON 05-25-10 AT 10:27 PM (EST)
I sat on this for an hour. I have to say that was perhaps the most boring and disappointing Idol finales ever. I was really let down tonight. I expected Lee to come out guns a'blazing. I was expecting some surprise finale-worthy song choices. Hmm. On to the rankings
1) Crystal - On The Mountain - I have to say I hated the song. What a terrible pick for a first single. As my wife said 'What radio station is ever going to play that song?' and I agree. On the other hand, Crystal sang the $@&* out of that song. Well done.
2) Lee - Beautiful Day - I have to say I was impressed with how Lee handled this song unlike the judges. His best of the night. I wanted more of this from him.
3) Crystal - Me & Bobby McGee - I was hoping she would bring back the 'Leave A LIght On' song, but this was my #2 pick and she did it well.
4) Crystal - Black Velvet - Terrible song choice for Crystal in my opinion, but she did the best she could with it. Its not her vibe, but obviously she didn't pick it.
5) Lee - Everybody Hurts - Good song choice, but he unfortunately didn't bring it. This song offered him some chances that he didn't take, sadly.
6) Lee - The Boxer - Good song, pretty good vocals, but overall a dreadfully dull performance. Shake it up a bit, it is the finale.
I don't know who is going ot win, and honestly, I don't have a preference. I like both of these finalists, and in the end does it matter who wins? I was just disappointed with the finale overall. Not the contestants.
Looking forward to a new and fresher American Idol 10. You?
ETA: I posted this, and then decided to come back and add an opinion. In the grand scheme of things, it DOES matter who wins and who comes in second if you are fans and want to see a record that reflects who you are a fan of.
In that respect, I hope Lee DeWyze wins tomorrow and Crystal comes in second. Lee will fit the record that the traditional Idol winner makes much more so that Crystal.
I've been on the Crystal train since auditions and have never disembarked. But, I think for Crystal to make a true Crystal Bowersox record, she can't win. If she wins, they will steer her more toward pop and we'll see what we saw in 'Black Velvet', and that was NOT Crystal Bowersox. We would have to wait for her 2nd/3rd CD to see the true Crystal. That is, if she is allowed to make a 2nd/3rd CD.....
"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell