The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Shirin's Practical Joke"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

michel2 925 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-21-15, 07:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Shirin's Practical Joke"
Despite Jeff's praise, this season was rather boring and the last Tribal Council was not much better. One thing that I enjoyed though was Shirin's joke on Carolyn. After bashing Will and praising Mike, she said she wouldn't vote for him but would vote for Carolyn instead. We all saw Carolyn's face light up at that moment because she probably thought she had the million dollars in her pocket. Little did she know that she was about to receive only one vote, just like super-goat Will!!

I've said many times that the jury is always right but it's even better when they are right and have fun at the players' expense at the same time.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Jims03 05-22-15 1
   RE: Shirin's Practical Joke michel2 05-22-15 3
       RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Jims03 05-22-15 5
           RE: Shirin's Practical Joke michel2 05-22-15 6
               RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Jims03 05-23-15 7
                   RE: Shirin's Practical Joke michel2 05-23-15 8
                       RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Jims03 05-23-15 9
                           RE: Shirin's Practical Joke michel2 05-23-15 11
 RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Aruba 05-22-15 2
   RE: Shirin's Practical Joke michel2 05-22-15 4
       RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Aruba 05-23-15 10
   RE: Shirin's Practical Joke Agman2 05-26-15 13
       RE: Shirin's Practical Joke michel2 05-26-15 14
 RE: Shirin's Practical Joke dabo 05-23-15 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Jims03 111 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-22-15, 00:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims03 Click to send private message to Jims03 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-15 AT 00:38 AM (EST)

I thought Shirin said that she wasn't necessarily going to vote for Mike and that her vote was still up for grabs? It seemed like she was implying that just because Mike saved her doesn't mean he automatically gets her vote. I guess she might've been giving Carolyn false hope, but I got the impression that she meant it and thought she could potentially be swayed.

Carolyn tying Will is such a joke, though. Ugh, Rodney, ugh.

Carolyn is a little underrated. Not that she should've beaten Mike but I feel like she was one of the few moms lately that played the tougher, harder mom role correctly (like Tina or Sandra) and didn't make herself a Dawn. She seemed to have a good grasp of when not to make moves but also keep options open with Mike or Sierra in case she needs to blow things up. Just letting Tyler walk was probably her biggest mistake. If she could've gotten Tyler to beat Mike at something and then get rid of Tyler later, it might've been a different story. It's tough to say. Every scenario that involves Carolyn winning probably requires hoping to gawd someone loses the F4 IC.

I would say that a better social game would've helped her, but I feel like the rest of the contestants wouldn't have let her in the Final 3. She seemed to walk a tightrope of being not overly liked, but at least respected.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

05-22-15, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
Shirin told Mike that she didn't have his vote, that it could go to Carolyn. But then, Shirin was the last one to speak. Carolyn didn't say a word before it was time to vote. How could she have swayed her?

Carolyn HAD to think that she had no shot of getting Shirin's vote for being so cold to her. That sentiment must have grown when Shirin went on and on about Mike coming to her rescue but then, suddenly, Carolyn heard that she had a shot at Shirin's vote. She was beaming and probably thought: "If Shirin is thinking of voting for me then maybe I've got many other votes." She must have thought the talk at Ponderosa had been clearly in her favor for Shirin to come around.

Carolyn tying Will was just perfect. Her highness got a little pay back. Many players have said that she was cold to them and Tyler wasn't her only mistake. Max and Shirin would never have gone after her so she cut some allies only for personal reasons, not game reasons.

05-22-15, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims03 Click to send private message to Jims03 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
Agree to disagree, then. That's not how I interpreted her, based on her personality. I feel like Shirin is the kind of person who takes the game extremely, extremely seriously, so I don't feel like that was a spot where Shirin wouldn't be speaking earnestly. Shirin borders on sanctimonious sometimes, the way she talks about The Game.

I don't think it was necessarily an even contest for Shirin's vote, though, and she was leaning toward Mike either way.

I guess I'm kind of grumpy about the Carolyn thing because I'm just not that impressed by Mike's win. I've never been a challenge guy.

05-22-15, 10:05 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
I liked Mike and his edit made me think that he was the winner all the way back to the premiere so, in that sense, I was very happy to see him win. However, like you, I didn't like the fact that he had to win his way to the end. That makes for an incomplete game.

That being said, it was the group's fault for getting rid of everyone that could have beaten Mike in a challenge, starting with Joe and Tyler and even Sierra who, like Mike admitted, was turning into his closest rival. A good player capitalizes on his rivals' error.

Which brings me to Carolyn: She made some strong moves but most were dumb moves. Max and Shirin were completely with her but she wanted to have the power in her hands so she booted Max and ostracized Shirin. Even when Shirin tried to repair the fracture, Carolyn gave her the cold shoulder. That was inexcusable. The same way, Tyler wasn't an immediate threat and could have helped beat Mike. And what should we think of her vote against Sierra? Piling a 4th vote on the cowgirl was completely useless and it could have cost her the only vote she got! She could have finished BEHIND Will!

As for the subject of this thread, we may not see it exactly the same way but you have to admit that Shirin's words gave Carolyn hope.

05-23-15, 00:56 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-15 AT 01:03 AM (EST)

I liked Mike and his edit made me think that he was the winner all the way back to the premiere so, in that sense, I was very happy to see him win. However, like you, I didn't like the fact that he had to win his way to the end. That makes for an incomplete game.

Yeah. I have to acknowledge that Mike was going to be a target inevitably anyway, but it really did feel like he painted some of that target for them. He was so domineering and aggressive, I'm not surprised people like Sierra were scared away.

Which brings me to Carolyn: She made some strong moves but most were dumb moves. Max and Shirin were completely with her but she wanted to have the power in her hands so she booted Max and ostracized Shirin. Even when Shirin tried to repair the fracture, Carolyn gave her the cold shoulder. That was inexcusable. The same way, Tyler wasn't an immediate threat and could have helped beat Mike. And what should we think of her vote against Sierra? Piling a 4th vote on the cowgirl was completely useless and it could have cost her the only vote she got! She could have finished BEHIND Will!

I feel like Carolyn is an interesting case because everywhere she seemed to go was either a sinking ship or a bad situation. I don't think ditching Max and Shirin was a bad move because, given the social dynamics of this season, because no one else really wanted to work with them that badly. I also still wonder if Kelly didn't really want to go with them either and kinda forced Carolyn's hand into jumping too.

The No Collars were a really insular bunch too, so I don't even mind her jumping ship on them either. Like, there is no excuse for having Kelly, Carolyn, and Will all jump ship on them at the merge. Horrible alliance management on their part. Carolyn had a way better shot with a jumbled up Rodney/Will/Tyler alliance than with the reds. Shirin was basically a lost cause, given how much everyone else disliked her. Sticking her neck out for Shirin during her boot would've been difficult for her with 8 people left. She could've done something with Jenn around, but I feel like a Carolyn/Tyler/Shirin/Jenn/Mike alliance is worse for her than a Carolyn/Tyler/Rodney/Will alliance. Shirin is just difficult to fit into Carolyn's numbers at that point.

Yeah, I agree with you about Tyler boot. Leaning toward it being a mistake, but I still get the feeling that she would be praying Tyler loses the F4 IC in that scenario. Or, even worse, both Mike and Tyler would be around at F4. I could see it blowing up in her face pretty easily. It's arguable at the very least.

The Sierra thing, I don't fault as much since the vote was unanimous. Mike was going to be betraying Sierra too. Everyone viewed Mike as the swing vote, so Sierra could reason that Carolyn saw the writing on the wall. It also keeps her on Mike's good side in case the nightmare scenario happens and he wins the F4 IC. The difference between voting for Sierra and not voting for her is pretty negligible.

I feel like Carolyn played a pretty messy game but, honestly, given the hands she was dealt, she had a lot to maneuver through. Any more likable and Rodney/Will/Dan/Sierra band together and don't let her in F3. Any more unlikable and she becomes a goat to Rodney or Sierra. People were too self-aware of the jury pecking-order this year. She would've needed a very specific Final 3.

(Honestly, and it pains me to say it, but I think Rodney might have been the most sound player this season. It is just positively amazing how well he got people to stick with his crazy alliance.)

05-23-15, 01:16 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
"Honestly, and it pains me to say it, but I think Rodney might have been the most sound player this season. It is just positively amazing how well he got people to stick with his crazy alliance"

Personally, I think the best player this season was Kelly. The only reason why Rodney got that F4 alliance going is because Kelly brought Will and Carolyn over from Nagarote. She had Mike, Dan and Sierra on one side, Rodney, Will and Carolyn on the other. Unfoirtunately for her, Jenn had an idol.

"I also still wonder if Kelly didn't really want to go with them either and kinda forced Carolyn's hand into jumping too."

From what we saw, Carolyn is the one that forced Kelly's hand because Kelly joined the vote against Max only after Carolyn had talked to Jenn. Kelly quickly recovered though: She saw that Carolyn had burned her bridges with one juror, Shirin, so she proceded to separate her from Jenn and Hali by bringing her over to her alliance with Roid. Carolyn's goat status was much more visible to the players than to the viewers. Why did Mike want to create a tie at F4? It's because he knew both would make fools of themselves, making them even bigger goats.

I'm not saying Carolyn should have stuck her neck out for Shirin but she should have given her the same kind of attention that Hali gave her. Shirin first came to Carolyn after Max's boot and it would have probably earned her a jury vote if she had been simply amicable. Instead, she pushed her away. Dumb.

Mike first told Carolyn and Sierra that he was voting for Rodney so it wasn't as if Carolyn would have betrayed him if she had kept her word and voted against Roid. Like I said, it didn't mean much but it had the potential to cost Carolyn the only vote she got.

05-23-15, 01:53 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-15 AT 01:56 AM (EST)

Personally, I think the best player this season was Kelly. The only reason why Rodney got that F4 alliance going is because Kelly brought Will and Carolyn over from Nagarote. She had Mike, Dan and Sierra on one side, Rodney, Will and Carolyn on the other. Unfoirtunately for her, Jenn had an idol.

I agree Kelly set herself up well but it's difficult to say since we never saw what her endgame play looked like. I assume she would've been patient and juggled Rodney and Mike well but who knows.

From what we saw, Carolyn is the one that forced Kelly's hand because Kelly joined the vote against Max only after Carolyn had talked to Jenn. Kelly quickly recovered though: She saw that Carolyn had burned her bridges with one juror, Shirin, so she proceded to separate her from Jenn and Hali by bringing her over to her alliance with Roid. Carolyn's goat status was much more visible to the players than to the viewers. Why did Mike want to create a tie at F4? It's because he knew both would make fools of themselves, making them even bigger goats.

I get the sense that the No Collars ended up blaming Kelly and Will more than Carolyn for flipping, though. They piled their votes on Kelly, after all, and Will was an original No Collar. I don't think those bridges were that burnt with Carolyn.

The F4 scenario with Mike, I think, is more about matchups than goat status. Simply put, Rodney's superb social game makes Mike's look even worse. Carolyn, he can lean a little heavier on his challenge wins. I get the sense that Rodney viewed Carolyn as running somewhat evenly with him in the jury... Hence, trying to get rid of her at F6 and F4. He had his goats already, didn't want Carolyn around to possibly mess things up. Not sure how Sierra vs. Carolyn would've gone. Probably fairly close, depending on how it went down. Maybe Carolyn loses, but I think it's somewhat close. After Mike and Tyler, I get the sense that the whole Rodney/Sierra/Carolyn group was viewed as being fairly tight in terms of jury threat status.

(lol Dan and Will)

I agree that she should have at least been nicer to Shirin. I still think that in all non-Mike showdowns, Carolyn would've still had a good chance of getting her vote. Shirin is kind of a gamebot.

Mike first told Carolyn and Sierra that he was voting for Rodney so it wasn't as if Carolyn would have betrayed him if she had kept her word and voted against Roid. Like I said, it didn't mean much but it had the potential to cost Carolyn the only vote she got.

Eh, still seems pretty negligible. From Sierra's point of view, it still looks like Mike was the perpetrator of the backstab. There's potential for a lost jury vote there, sure, but I feel like the difference in expected value is pretty low in this scenario. Sierra doesn't seem that irrational and/or emotional to freak out over something so negligible.

05-23-15, 10:26 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
"I get the sense that the No Collars ended up blaming Kelly and Will more than Carolyn for flipping, though. They piled their votes on Kelly, after all, and Will was an original No Collar. I don't think those bridges were that burnt with Carolyn."

Well Jenn clearly said that the person she hated the most was Carolyn. They voted against Kelly because she was rejoining the powerful Blue Collar alliance while Carolyn had just seen one WC, Joaquin, get voted out. The 2 WC weren't immediate threats, Kelly was. Also, don't forget that Hali thought Will voted with her not for her. At first, she thought it was Shirin that voted against her. So, in the game, Carolyn was a goat at least for the NC which accounted for 3 votes. Add Shirin, Dan and Tyler and, by the end, not many people on the jury liked "Mama" C.

As for the F4, Mike told Carolyn directly that he WANTED Roid and Will to vote against her. Therefore, he wanted to see the fire challenge and he probably KNEW that both would make fools of themselves. Judging by the jurors' yawns and the time needed, they ended up being almost as pathetic as Becky and Sundra.

A Rodney/Sierra/Carolyn F3 probably goes to Roid. For what it's worth, Jiffy's reunion vote, gave him 3 votes against Mike so against Sierra and Carolyn he probably gets more. Exit interviews showed that he wasn't disliked by the other players.

Aruba 2176 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-22-15, 07:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
I must have been watching the same Finale Jims03 was watching. I don't recall any definitive decision on Shirin's part as to who she would vote for. I suppose one could interpret a fanfiction inference and presume she might be considering Carolyn.

Trying to take a page from Sue Hawk and guessing who this whackadoodle would vote for as "nature intended" didn't clear up the picture any better.

With Sue we know snakes eat rats so her vote would go to the "snake" Rich based on her "nature intended it" analogy.

But comparing Mike to the "Howler Monkey" and Carolyn to a "Stingray" her vote was still up in the air with me if she was to vote as "nature intended."

Now that we know she voted Mike could someone please explain to me how "nature intends" for a "Howler Monkey" to be higher on the food chain than a "stingray???"

This woman needs to invest one of her millions in some serious psychological help.

05-22-15, 08:02 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
I'm not presuming anything: Shirin told Carolyn directly that she could have her vote. A vote that Carolyn had certainly conceded to Mike. Did you see Carolyn's smile when Shirin said that? During the reunion, Carolyn said she expected to get more votes so, one way or antoher, the joke was on her.

That whackadoodle made her first million by age 25. That's pretty good, I'd say. As for her Sue Hawk interpretation, Shirin said: The howler monkey gets angry and throws feces, the stingray silently kills anyone that threatens it. The analogy certainly favored Carolyn.

Aruba 2176 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-23-15, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Aruba Click to send private message to Aruba Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
Any Finalists COULD potentially get any Juror's vote. We're talking about definitively with very little "spin" or interpretation.

In all fairness I'm going purely from memory because I really don't feel like watching the FTC again, but it seems to me the only "definitive" vote you could safely predict from that FTC was Jenn's vote for Mike. OK...perhaps Rodney's vote for his "Bro" Will as well.

Carolyn certainly had reason to think she could have gotten more than one vote, but after REALLY analyzing the situation she would have to be delusional to think she would out vote Mike.

She had to know Jenn would vote for Mike. The three No Collars were the first three at the Ponderosa and a safe bet would be they were voting a bloc so that's three votes for Mike. It would put wishful thinking to another level if Carolyn thought she could get Tyler's vote.

With eight Jurors she could not have thought coming to the Reunion Show that she would get the necessary votes to win.

Finally... there is absolutely, positively NOOOOO correlation between maturity/normalcy and net worth of an individual. ESPECIALLY when you factor in the technical whackadoodles with alien brains who have made substantial fortunes thanks to the computer age.

Agman2 1247 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-26-15, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
But comparing Mike to the "Howler Monkey" and Carolyn to a "Stingray" her vote was still up in the air with me if she was to vote as "nature intended."

Now that we know she voted Mike could someone please explain to me how "nature intends" for a "Howler Monkey" to be higher on the food chain than a "stingray???

I'm happy to see I wasn't the only one who didn't get her "How nature intended it" analogy. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the correlation was between a howler monkey and a stingray in that example. If she was trying to pull a Sue Hawk, I think she missed the mark.

05-26-15, 05:54 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
Like I said in the opening post, I think she was simply trying to mess with Carolyn, giving her false hope.

dabo 26928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-23-15, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Shirin's Practical Joke"
Shirin could have had an A+ jury performance but for a couple of things. 1. She quoted Soozin. 2. She revealed her vote. I don't like it when they do that, sorry.

But yeah, good for her for pulling one on Carolyn. Shirin and Carolyn should have mended fences after Max was gone but Carolyn wouldn't have it, closing an option, shutting it down completely.

I also thought the dead fish analogy for Will was a bit lacking, but it was funny so I'll let that pass.

The season started out reasonably well, and showed the problem of having too many alike people on each tribe.

The white collar tribe had people going straight into ruthless individual strategies (and a very stupid lie about the beans). The blue collar tribe had a solid front but the backbiting got underway immediately. The no collar tribe had some great team spirit players and Vince and Nina.

Nina was just on the wrong tribe, despite her own problems should would have fit in much better on either of the other tribes. Vince got into an alpha male conflict with Joe who was a beta male, and ticked off Jenn who was the real alpha in the tribe.

It was like watching the high school cliques playing Survivor, though, so at first it was okay. Got really ugly after the merge, and somewhat boring but for the controversies. Mike ended up having to play the game in the worst possible way to play the game just to get to the end.

Colby didn't set out to win chal after chal because he thought it would be the impressive way to win the game, it was a strategic decision because he didn't want others winning challenges. Nick winning that one immunity altered the game slightly in that Jerri was then booted before she should have been, but then Amber was too afraid to take advantage of the power that gave her.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •