The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Live Feed Updates And Spoilers (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-04-06, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Right now, all we know is that it'll allow someone to 'overthrow the HoH'. And that's assuming Julie was reading her cue cards correctly, which is never a safe assumption with someone who can mix up Diane and Danielle during a live vote. So a few of the obvious questions are:

1. How do you get it? Competition? Clue given to all the hamsters, and the first one who finds the backstab dagger hidden in the cage gets the power? Can the HoH compete for it to stay safe?

2. How often? I don't think this can be a weekly event, just because it's too much chaos for too little airtime. Once during the season, possibly. Three times, tops.

3. When do you use it? Right after the HoH competition? (You can't use it beforehand to make yourself the automatic winner, or 'overthrow' doesn't come into play.) Before nominations? After nominations? Just before the vote? After the vote?

4. What does the twist do to the nominations? Can the overthrower place their own nominations on the block after the original HoH already did? If the power is used from the block, does it send the old HoH there in the new person's place? (I think this is likely -- a veto with extra teeth. Former heads of state never do well in this kind of thing.) Is the new HoH stuck with the old one's picks?

5. Will this actually have an effect on gameplay, or is this the latest in a long line of BB non-twists?

Theories?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Tonya_Harding 08-04-06 1
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. JoshInSGV 08-04-06 2
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. brvnkrz 08-04-06 3
       RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. CattyChat 08-04-06 15
           RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. brvnkrz 08-04-06 16
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. AshLanie 08-04-06 18
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Snidget 08-04-06 4
   There's always a price. Estee 08-04-06 5
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. oasisfan1994 08-04-06 6
       RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. FlamingCactusIT 08-04-06 7
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. ginger 08-04-06 8
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. teacherkelly 08-04-06 9
       RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Buggy 08-04-06 10
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Jims02 08-04-06 11
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Estee 08-04-06 12
       RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Jims02 08-04-06 14
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Snidget 08-04-06 13
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. vince3 08-04-06 17
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. silentJ 08-05-06 19
 Here's what Julie said: AshLanie 08-05-06 20
   RE: Here's what Julie said: Savahnna 08-05-06 21
   RE: Here's what Julie said: kathliam 08-05-06 22
       RE: Here's what Julie said: AZ_Leo 08-05-06 23
           RE: Here's what Julie said: kary1371 08-07-06 24
               RE: Here's what Julie said: oasisfan1994 08-07-06 25
   RE: Here's what Julie said: how do people miss these things 08-07-06 26
       RE: Here's what Julie said: oasisfan1994 08-07-06 27
           RE: Here's what Julie said: AshLanie 08-09-06 34
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. Queene1979 08-09-06 28
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. JoshInSGV 08-09-06 29
       RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. oasisfan1994 08-09-06 30
           RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. JoshInSGV 08-09-06 31
               RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. little fathead 08-09-06 32
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. nailbone 08-09-06 33
 RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. buckeyegirl 08-09-06 35
   RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation. dgibson 08-09-06 36

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tonya_Harding 92 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-04-06, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tonya_Harding Click to send private message to Tonya_Harding Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
When did TheChen say this would be revealed to the housguests?
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-04-06, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-06 AT 12:33 PM (EST)

Estee, you beat me to the punch. I was just about to post something regarding the infamous coup d'etat. My theory (or maybe my wishful thinking) is that the winner of the coup d'etat will overthrow the HOH and have the option of nominating the current HOH for eviction.

How delicious would that be?? Danielle plots all week to eliminate Janey, only to find herself on the block at the very last minute and immediatelly evicted from the house there after. Not only would Danielle get evicted, but it will also reveal James' true colors to everyone in the house.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I love the thought of this. Love it.

A wonderful Tribe original

CattyChat 3379 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-04-06, 07:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CattyChat Click to send private message to CattyChat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Me too. This could be one of the best twists ever. I'm just unclear if it's going to be able to be used this week or not until the next HoH. The more BB can mess with the HG's plans, the better. Gotta love to see them scramble and squirm.

Kind Creation of ARNutz

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Exactly. And for once, I wouldn't feel let down by the hype of a big twist. Because this would be a pretty big twist.

A wonderful Tribe original

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-04-06, 08:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
>LAST EDITED ON 08-04-06
>AT 12:33 PM (EST)

>
>Estee, you beat me to the
>punch. I was just about
>to post something regarding the
>infamous coup d'etat. My theory
>(or maybe my wishful thinking)
>is that the winner of
>the coup d'etat will overthrow
>the HOH and have the
>option of nominating the current
>HOH for eviction.
>
>How delicious would that be?? Danielle
>plots all week to eliminate
>Janey, only to find herself
>on the block at the
>very last minute and immediatelly
>evicted from the house there
>after. Not only would Danielle
>get evicted, but it will
>also reveal James' true colors
>to everyone in the house.
>

It won't effect Danielle......when Sun Tues and Thurs' shows were advertised the coup was mentioned under Thurs....which means it will effect next Thurs' HOH.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
If it is a regular competition then it would need to be something that would most likely not result in a winner. An every week sort of thing would be too chaotic.

I'm tending to maybe something the POV winner could go for rather than everyone, like a super POV, but it could be everyone.

If I didn't want the hamsters to know up front what was going on I'd do something like the POV winner pulls a key/combination out of a bag and there are maybe 3 safes, and they see if they can open any one of them. If it opens then they are HOH, off the block and can choose who goes up (either one or both). What may make it interesting is if they do not know all three safes are all Coup d'Etat so they would wonder what the other two things are. You could set it up so there are enough fake keys/combinations that it is only likely to be used once or twice during the game.

On the other hand. They started the live eviction this week, and that may be a set up to start this just before eviction this week. Again it could be a competition where only once in awhile would someone win. Whoever wins can keep or replace the nominees right before the live eviction vote.

I wonder what the timing will be, will it be late enough the HOH still gets the room for the week and all the other perks or will it be midweek, so it would be more like a two HOH's in a week twist thing where the Thursday HOH really doesn't get the full benefit of the week. If it is mid-week do they rechange the HOH or do you have to live with the one they set up, or do they get to stay in the room, but just have no power?

Lots of ways this could play out.

08-04-06, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "There's always a price."
I think we have to consider whether using the CdE means paying a penalty later -- no Veto competition the next week, automatic nomination for the next cycle, or better yet, both... A treat this good generally doesn't come without a giant penalty.

oasisfan1994 410 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-04-06, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oasisfan1994 Click to send private message to oasisfan1994 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I wondered about this myself. Remember last season when Janelle won HOH and then 3 days later a new HOH. Maybe something to that effect again?

FlamingCactusIT 452 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FlamingCactusIT Click to send private message to FlamingCactusIT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I just think it is a kind Veto like thing, except, the winner will not only remove the person from block, but replaces the person too. Except, everyone, even HoH is fair game.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
All's I know is, it could be Janelle's lifesaver.

teacherkelly 179 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-04-06, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail teacherkelly Click to send private message to teacherkelly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I think that's why it got put into play this week. They knew BB6 can't keep winning HOH. Erika, George, Danielle and Marci aren't "popular" players (hence the trashing of Marci on national TV last night). CBS likes the Will-Janey subplot and may not want it to end too early. Who cares if Erika leaves? The BB6 vs. James is good for ratings.

Buggy 5089 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Buggy Click to send private message to Buggy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Marcellas deserved that trashing and more.
His behind the back namecalling of people who treat hi as a friend has been disgusting.
I am surprised they showed some of it, but glad.

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I thought that they were going to reveal the Coup d'Etat on next Thursday's show, meaning it would begin after Janelle whoever's evicted... I could be wrong though.

Whatever it is, it probably won't come into play until after the nominations. It would be really stupid to have someone overthrow the HOH right before they've done anything. In that case, it would make the HOH comp pointless. I'm guessing it might come sometime between Nominations and POV Competition.

08-04-06, 03:37 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
In that case, it would make the HOH comp pointless.

And when was the last time BB made something pointless?

Oh, wait...

Jims02 7328 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 03:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
...Like any Final Four nomination ceremony?

Robert: "I'm nominating Jun and Alison for eviction, so that my sweetie Erika can vote one of them off. Unless of course, one of them wins POV, in which case we're screwed. But what are the odds of that happening?"

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I was reading some of the discussion on this over on jokers, IMO on Thursday could be a just before the live vote thing so could be in play this week.

They could also do the competition ahead of time but not play out the coup until the live show, and then proceed with the live vote without anyone having time to plot and scheme over the new nominations.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-06, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-06 AT 08:10 PM (EST)

1. They've done scavenger hunt-type competitions before, so it wouldn't surprise me.... but it's probably gonna be standard fare: Quiz, physical challenge or endurance challenge. They better let the HoH compete or it's a (pratically) guaranteed coup every.single.time. Furthemore, you'll see more people tank the HoH comps just so they can compete in the coup comps. (and since the HoH comps are usually the only one live....... that could leave a mark on the ratings since it would be pointless.......)

2. Once to three times a season, probably, or else like TAR's Fast Forwards and Yields it loses it's importance otherwise......

3. If they do the contest before HoH, the window for the coup probably opens up after nominations. Of course, I also wonder if the coup "dagger" or whatever it's gonna be is good for only one week or until desired......

4. If the coup's new HoH doesn't have any influence on the nominations and can't put the old HoH on the chop block (if desired..... (probably but you never know.....)) then what's the fricken point of having it???????

5. This one better be good or even Dr. Will might not be able to save this patient.......

A gift from Cygnus!

silentJ 336 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-05-06, 01:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail silentJ Click to send private message to silentJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
My theory is that it will happen after noms but before the veto ceremony, allowing the new HOH to chose the new nominee if the veto is used. Right now Will wouldn't use the veto, but he might if Boogie was suddenly HOH. New HOH would get to break ties too, which might end this unanimous eviction for the harmony of the house carp.

08-05-06, 02:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Here's what Julie said:"
LAST EDITED ON 08-05-06 AT 02:28 PM (EST)

Thanks to another board's posting I found this:

"But first houseguests just to show how dangerous a web can be, we are going to raise this competition to a whole new level. They are trying to hang on to win HOH but the Houseguests are about to get hit with a big surprise. Stay with us.

Who will be the new head of household? Find out Sunday at eight when the winner will be revealed. Plus see who the HOH nominates for eviction. Then Tuesday at eight who will win the power of veto and how will it affect the two nominees?

"And I will be back one week from tonight for the next live vote and eviction. Plus in a Big Brother first we will introduce the Coup d’ Etat. This new twist will enable one person to overthrow the HOH at a moment’s notice."

So, it seems the coup will be for the following week not this week.

Edited to seperate the portion about the coup.

Savahnna 844 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Savahnna Click to send private message to Savahnna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"

>
>So, it seems the coup will
>be for the following week
>not this week.
>

Thx very much for that! What a lousy reason to wish the summer away! But I really can't wait!

kathliam 3666 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-05-06, 04:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kathliam Click to send private message to kathliam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
I watched Thursday's episode again this morning (while the hamsters were sleeping) and yes, that is the language Julie used.

But, (and it's a big one) she was vague about when it would be introduced. Why would they announce a twist like that a full week before they put it into effect? And telling us about it now, but waiting a week to tell the hamsters doesn't make sense because it wouldn't make any sense to overthrow the HOH immediately after the competition. (at least not to me )

I interpreted it as Julie telling us what would happen during the week and the Coup D'Etat was one of those things. (not to mention that, strictly speaking, she announced it on Thursday, and if it happens anytime between Sunday's show and Thursday, it would happen 'next week' from the time she announced it.)

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-05-06, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
From the sound of what she said it doesn't have to be used immediately after the competition. It sounds like it is something that someone may be able to hold on to and use when they want. They may not even be required to use it in that first week.

Perhaps it will be something like the Hidden Immunity Idol in Survivor: no one is quite sure who has it or when it could be used.

A tribephyl original

kary1371 631 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-06, 12:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kary1371 Click to send private message to kary1371 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
>Perhaps it will be something like the Hidden Immunity Idol in
>Survivor: no one is quite sure who has it or when it could be used.

This is what I think too.

08-07-06, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oasisfan1994 Click to send private message to oasisfan1994 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
>Perhaps it will be something like the Hidden Immunity Idol in
>Survivor: no one is quite sure who has it or when it could be used.

I never thought of this but that would be a good idea.

how do people miss these things 71 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-06, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail how%20do%20people%20miss%20these%20things Click to send private message to how%20do%20people%20miss%20these%20things Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
normally in a coup you get rid of the leader, so I wonder if that means the HOH would be evicted?

08-07-06, 10:34 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
I found this info about the coup d'etat from its uses in history maybe be used somehow the same way in the BB house.

1.Tactically, a coup usually involves control of some active portion of the military while neutralizing the remainder of a country's armed services. This active group captures or expels leaders, seizes physical control of important government offices, means of communication, and the physical infrastructure, such as streets and power plants. The coup succeeds if its opponents fail to dislodge the plotters, allowing them to consolidate their position, obtain the surrender or acquiescence of the populace and surviving armed forces, and claim legitimacy.

2. Coups typically use the power of the existing government for its own takeover. As Edward Luttwak remarks in his Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook: "A coup consists of the infiltration of a small but critical segment of the state apparatus, which is then used to displace the government from its control of the remainder." In this sense, use of military or other organized force is not the defining feature of a coup d'état.

3. In recent years, the traditional military coup has declined. The more usual form of military intervention, which some regard as coups d'état, uses the threat of military force to remove a vulnerable or unpopular leader. In contrast to straight coups d'état, the military does not directly assume power, but rather installs civilian leaders it finds more palatable. One advantage of this tactic is the appearance of greater legitmacy.

Types of coups

1. Breakthrough coups: In which a revolutionary army overthrows a traditional government and creates a new bureaucratic elite. Breakthrough coups are generally led by non-commissioned officers (NCOs) or junior officers and only happen once. Examples include China in 1911, Egypt in 1952, Greece in 1967,Bulgaria in 1944 and Liberia in 1980.

2. Guardian coups: These coups have been described as musical chairs. The stated aim of this form of coup is to improve public order, efficiency, or to end corruption. There is usually no fundamental shift in the structure of power, and the leaders of these types of coups generally portray their actions as a temporary and unfortunate necessity. One of the early examples of this is the coup by Sulla in 88 BCE which displaced the elected leadership of Marius in Rome. Many nations with guardian coups undergo many shifts between civilian and military governments. Examples include Pakistan, Turkey, and Thailand.

3. Veto coups: These coups occur when the army vetoes mass participation and social mobilization. In these cases the army must confront and suppress large-scale and broad-based opposition and as a result they tend to be repressive and bloody. Examples include Chile in 1973 and Argentina in 1976. An abortive and botched veto coup occurred in Venezuela in 2002.

Coups can also be classified by the level of the military that leads the coup. Veto coups and guardian coups tend to be led by senior officers. Breakthrough coups tend to be led by junior officers or NCOs. In cases where the coup is led by junior officers or enlisted men, the coup is also a mutiny which can have grave implications for the organizational structure of the military.

There is also a category known as bloodless coups in which the mere threat of violence is enough to force the current government to step aside. Bloodless coups are so called because they involve no violence and thus no bloodshed. Napoleon's 18 Brumaire coup is often pointed out as an example of bloodless coup, showing that bloodless coups are not always considered to be "bloodless": on 18 Brumaire, several members of parliament were thrown out the windows of the building where they assembled. More recently, Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan came to power in a bloodless coup in 1999.

The term self-coup is used when the current government assumes extraordinary powers not allowed by the legislation. A historical example is the actions of then President and later French Emperor Louis Napoléon Bonaparte in 1851 against the powerful National Assembly; while a most modern example is Alberto Fujimori in Peru, who was democratically elected, but later took control of the legislative and judicial powers. Some argue that the assumption of "emergency powers" by King Gyanendra of Nepal is a self-coup.

i know this is boring stuff but might make sence when figuring out what CBS will do with it. I am a ball of usless information

08-09-06, 09:58 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Here's what Julie said:"
>I found this info about the
>coup d'etat from its uses
>in history maybe be used
>somehow the same way in
>the BB house.
>
>1.Tactically, a coup usually involves control
>of some active portion of
>the military while neutralizing the
>remainder of a country's armed
>services. This active group captures
>or expels leaders, seizes physical
>control of important government offices,
>means of communication, and the
>physical infrastructure, such as streets
>and power plants. The coup
>succeeds if its opponents fail
>to dislodge the plotters, allowing
>them to consolidate their position,
>obtain the surrender or acquiescence
>of the populace and surviving
>armed forces, and claim legitimacy.
>
>
>
>2. Coups typically use the power
>of the existing government for
>its own takeover. As Edward
>Luttwak remarks in his Coup
>d'État: A Practical Handbook: "A
>coup consists of the infiltration
>of a small but critical
>segment of the state apparatus,
>which is then used to
>displace the government from its
>control of the remainder." In
>this sense, use of military
>or other organized force is
>not the defining feature of
>a coup d'état.
>
>3. In recent years, the traditional
>military coup has declined. The
>more usual form of military
>intervention, which some regard as
>coups d'état, uses the threat
>of military force to remove
>a vulnerable or unpopular leader.
>In contrast to straight coups
>d'état, the military does not
>directly assume power, but rather
>installs civilian leaders it finds
>more palatable. One advantage of
>this tactic is the appearance
>of greater legitmacy.
>
>Types of coups
>
>1. Breakthrough coups: In which a
>revolutionary army overthrows a traditional
>government and creates a new
>bureaucratic elite. Breakthrough coups are
>generally led by non-commissioned officers
>(NCOs) or junior officers and
>only happen once. Examples include
>China in 1911, Egypt in
>1952, Greece in 1967,Bulgaria in
>1944 and Liberia in 1980.
>
>
>2. Guardian coups: These coups have
>been described as musical chairs.
>The stated aim of this
>form of coup is to
>improve public order, efficiency, or
>to end corruption. There is
>usually no fundamental shift in
>the structure of power, and
>the leaders of these types
>of coups generally portray their
>actions as a temporary and
>unfortunate necessity. One of the
>early examples of this is
>the coup by Sulla in
>88 BCE which displaced the
>elected leadership of Marius in
>Rome. Many nations with guardian
>coups undergo many shifts between
>civilian and military governments. Examples
>include Pakistan, Turkey, and Thailand.
>
>
>3. Veto coups: These coups occur
>when the army vetoes mass
>participation and social mobilization. In
>these cases the army must
>confront and suppress large-scale and
>broad-based opposition and as a
>result they tend to be
>repressive and bloody. Examples include
>Chile in 1973 and Argentina
>in 1976. An abortive and
>botched veto coup occurred in
>Venezuela in 2002.
>
>Coups can also be classified by
>the level of the military
>that leads the coup. Veto
>coups and guardian coups tend
>to be led by senior
>officers. Breakthrough coups tend to
>be led by junior officers
>or NCOs. In cases where
>the coup is led by
>junior officers or enlisted men,
>the coup is also a
>mutiny which can have grave
>implications for the organizational structure
>of the military.
>
>There is also a category known
>as bloodless coups in which
>the mere threat of violence
>is enough to force the
>current government to step aside.
>Bloodless coups are so called
>because they involve no violence
>and thus no bloodshed. Napoleon's
>18 Brumaire coup is often
>pointed out as an example
>of bloodless coup, showing that
>bloodless coups are not always
>considered to be "bloodless": on
>18 Brumaire, several members of
>parliament were thrown out the
>windows of the building where
>they assembled. More recently, Pervez
>Musharraf of Pakistan came to
>power in a bloodless coup
>in 1999.
>
>The term self-coup is used when
>the current government assumes extraordinary
>powers not allowed by the
>legislation. A historical example is
>the actions of then President
>and later French Emperor Louis
>Napoléon Bonaparte in 1851 against
>the powerful National Assembly; while
>a most modern example is
>Alberto Fujimori in Peru, who
>was democratically elected, but later
>took control of the legislative
>and judicial powers. Some argue
>that the assumption of "emergency
>powers" by King Gyanendra of
>Nepal is a self-coup.
>
>
>i know this is boring stuff
>but might make sence when
>figuring out what CBS will
>do with it. I am
>a ball of usless information
>
>
>
>

Hmmmmmmmm......I wonder if the blast from the past (previous house guests) that are expected to be in the house on Thurs, Sun, and Tues might be part of the coup????????

These past guests could be involved in any of the types of coup you listed.

Queene1979 445 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-06, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Queene1979 Click to send private message to Queene1979 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 00:29 AM (EST)

This was just on realitybbq,

Someone IS Coming Back... But Who? And... Advertisers Hate Ratings

Neither the HG who were not voted into the house nor those who have been evicted from the house have been sequestered... but apparently someone IS coming back to stay in the house for a period of time, longer than just a competition. Rumour on the net says it will happen this Thursday and may have to do with the Coup d'Etat, but the little birdies aren't sure when it is going to happen. We don't know who's going in either... time will tell!

On another note, advertisers are NOT pleased about the low ratings BB is getting this year. Look for more product placements ON the show itself to try to apease them. Double thick cookies anyone?

One advertiser, Sunoco, has already pulled their advertising bucks - that's why the label was mostly covered (you could still tell it was Sunoco) on the gas can in the lux comp.

Hmmmmmm.... Thoughts?

My thought is that the evicted houseguests along with the ones who were not voted into the house will be brought to the studio, imediately after the HOH competition the Houseguests will be told about the twist, they will have to vote on one of the Houseguests outside the house in, they will replace the new HOH and the new HOH will be imediately evicted.

08-09-06, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Hmm... Interesting theory. I just don't think this would be fair. Whoever is voted back has not been sequestered and have probably seen the show/live feeds. This person would possess more information than any of the other hamsters and give them an unfair advantage. I would much rather see Danielle being overthrown this week, then the new HOH. Unless the new HOH happens to be James. =)

08-09-06, 03:27 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Do you think the peeps they show in the holograms will be back in. If so its not fair cause they show Bunky (can't stand him) and he has been wise to everything.

08-09-06, 03:43 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I don't think it's fair to put Bunky or anyone else who hasn't been sequestered back into the house. But, if BB wants a twist, this would definitelly twist everyone's strategy from this point forward. Maybe allowing the new hamsters to be aware of the game is a way to catch them up to speed with everything that's going on in the house. If they went in blindly, they would probably be evicted immediatelly. By posessing all the knowledge, they would be able to shake everything up, re-shape the game, new alliances would need to be made.

I'm also not entirely sure that it was Bunky in that picture. I read somewhere on these boards that Scott (BB5) would go into the house unexpectedly. Does anyone think that the man in the hollogram looks like Scott? And, does the woman in the hollogram look like Nicole (BB2)? I definitelly don't think the "ghosts" are Allison or Jase. These could be past hamsters that were not among the original line-up eligible to be voted back into the house. If that's the case, maybe "the ghosts" were sequestered and will materialize on Thurs as part of the Coup twist.

little fathead 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-09-06, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail little%20fathead Click to send private message to little%20fathead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I "borrowed" this from TVClubhouse who borrowed it from RealityBBQ

Former Big Brother Houseguests will Return to Participate in this Week's Head of Household Competition, Food Competition and Veto Competition

BROTHER: ALL-STARS" TREATED TO A BLAST FROM THE PAST

Former Big Brother Houseguests will Return to Participate in this Week's Head of Household Competition, Food Competition and Veto Competition

Julie Chen Will Announce Details for this Season's Newest Twist,
the "Coup d'Etat" on Thursday, Aug. 10

The remaining Houseguests competing on this season of BIG BROTHER: ALL-STARS will be treated to some familiar faces this week as several former Houseguests lend their services to this week's Head of Household competition on Thursday, Aug. 10, the Food Competition on Sunday, Aug. 13 and the Veto Competition on Tuesday, Aug. 15.

The first group of former BIG BROTHER Houseguests will return for a surprise cameo appearance this Thursday, Aug. 10 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) during the live eviction show. The former Houseguests will be incorporated into the HOH competition, which will require this season's All Stars to recall specific clues they have received from the former Houseguests throughout the week in order to be crowned this week's HOH. Another group of former Houseguests will return to serve as judges during this week's Food Competition on Sunday, Aug. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT). The BIG BROTHER blast from the past week will conclude with former Houseguests also playing a role in the all important Veto Competition on Tuesday, Aug. 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT).

During the Live broadcast on Thursday, Aug. 10 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT), host Julie Chen will explain this season's newest twist, the "Coup d'Etat," which she teased at the end of last week's live eviction show. The "Coup d'Etat" will enable one person to overthrow the HOH at a moment's notice.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-06, 02:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Folks, it ain't about being "fair", it's about juicing up ratings that suck.

As for the "Blasts from the Past", just another way to involved former hamsters that weren't vote in.

Holey carp! My blog! MySpace!
Official OT Tassel Adjuster and OT Fantasy Football Champ! o-

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-06, 10:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
I can't remember where on this board I read it, but I remember a quote by Nicole pre-season saying not to be surprised if former houseguests who weren't chosen to come into the house to help with competitions...I assumed she meant a veto competition or one like they had in season 2 when they had bb vs. survivor, but this would fit in line with that comment...

Isn't Kyngsladye wonderful?

dgibson 76 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-06, 11:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dgibson Click to send private message to dgibson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Coup d'Etat twist speculation."
Isn't Scott returning? And in his season didn't him and JASE have a big blowout? Since it looks like Scott is returning, I wonder if Jase will be coming back in also??...Just a thought.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •