The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Subscription to topics option"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Help Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-18-10, 01:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Subscription to topics option"
Hi, before posting this I did check topics back to 2007 and ran a search, but my results were from 2003, so hope this is not a much asked question and I missed it.

Oldster that I am, I recall the days when I could opt to get email notifications when a reply was posted. I also recall that Webby disabled the feature because some people found it annoying and there was no way to unssubscribe.

Most forums I use have this feature, and I depend on it to let me know that the conversation is alive. In fact, I drifted away from Spoilers in Blows some time ago simply because it didn't have this feature and required me to repeatedly check in. I did drift back again, but my participation is spottier than it would be if Blows had this feature.

Sometimes I come back only to find that someone asked me a question and I never saw it, so it looks like I'm ignoring it when I'm not.

I realize that there are certain topics like Big Brother Live Feed Updates where one checks the box at one's own peril of getting a lot of emails, but I'm a big girl and I can handle making that call.

The other forums I use all have options to unsubscribe from a topic. I almost never do that, but it is nice to have the option. I realize that Blows runs on DC Scripts, which is a bit different than most, but is it still the case that there's no way to unsubscribe?

I think it would be a positive thing for promoting conversations to know that someone has added a new reply, or to see that there have been several replies.

More and more forums are now sending out the text of the new reply, which I really like, but I don't expect that or anything that the software can't easily do.

Thanks for listening.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Subscription to topics option grit 05-18-10 1
   RE: Subscription to topics option Outfrontgirl 05-20-10 2
 RE: Subscription to topics option Puffy 06-01-10 3
   RE: Subscription to topics option Outfrontgirl 08-13-10 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

grit 4866 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-18-10, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Subscription to topics option"
I think it's still disabled.

I found this in the FAQs and tried each thing that was suggested, but the subscribe option was nowhere to be seen. The only other thing I can suggest is to bookmark a thresd that you're interested in and check it every once in a while.

Chocolately deliciousness by agman

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

05-20-10, 00:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Subscription to topics option"
LAST EDITED ON 05-20-10 AT 00:56 AM (EST)

Thanks for answering.

>>> The only other thing I can suggest is to bookmark a thresd that you're interested in and check it every once in a while.

well, sure, naturally I already did that, but a bookmark doesn't work for me as well as a notification. I always liked the subscription option, found it very useful, use it on other forums I visit.

This is pretty much a mod-directed HELP question, not something fellow users can help with, nice as you are to try. It's a disabled function, and I expect only Webby could decide to reinstate it.

I'm just trying to plead my case, which is, when there are a few different boards covering the same interests, the other boards are helping to keep the conversation alive by sending out notifications. They definitely up the clicks to the board.

As an example, I forgot to check back on this question to see if I'd gotten a reply, and I'm certainly not going to check it obsessively, but with a subscription I would have known that you answered.

Puffy 6571 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-10, 01:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Subscription to topics option"
I recall what you're talking about. There's the "mark all" option which would let you know when someone has posted in a forum after you last visited it. It's not as precise as what you want, though.

Courtesy of the Cap'n

08-13-10, 10:54 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Subscription to topics option"
Thanks Puffy! I never saw your helpful reply -- because there are no email notifications.

I check Blows forums, when I do, by shortcuts, not through the Lobby. I can usually tell by time stamps or, if it's slow, by the number of posts, whether there is anything new. What I would like though, is something that lets me know the conversation is moving along with new replies, that would tell me when to check. It's annoying to check when nothing has been posted, and I often miss flurries of posting because I don't have ESP.

I do belong to four spoiler boards, and the other three all have reply notifications. Yuku even gives the text and poster, but I don't need that.

There are other forums I participate in, and all but one sends the notifications. I find them really useful. I wish Blows would consider bringing this function back. If one is always tuned into Blows, then it may not be needed, I get that. However, it's a great way to get the occasional poster to tune in and find out what's been said, and I've seen it work to enliven the conversation, no question.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •