The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Help Forum (Protected)
Original message

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-03-05, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
I returned home after two weeks yesterday and found that every time I log onto any of the SB messages boards I get a pop up telling me that Windows 2000 is preparing to install, with the timer at the bottom of the pop up moving along. I close the window and another pops up, which I close as well.

I'm using Windows XP on my computer and have never seen anything like this before. It's not happening with other websites I go (so far) to so I thought I'd bring it to the help forum to see if anyone had any advice.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence frisky 11-04-05 1
   RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence FSUGUY 11-05-05 2
 RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence Canada Girl 11-07-05 3
   RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence weltek 11-07-05 4
       RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence frisky 11-07-05 5
 Not to me universityofkentuckyrocks 11-07-05 6
 RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence brvnkrz 11-07-05 7
   NO HELP BOARD FSUGUY 11-08-05 8
 RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence SurvivorBlows 11-09-05 9
   RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence brvnkrz 11-09-05 10
   RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence frisky 11-09-05 11
 RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence zombiebaby 11-12-05 12
 Here's what worked for me... IceCat 11-12-05 13
   RE: Here's what worked for me... frisky 11-16-05 14
   RE: Here's what worked for me... Wallflower66 11-26-05 15
   RE: Here's what worked for me... mysticwolf 11-26-05 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

frisky 11684 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-04-05, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
The same thing is happening to me and it's driving me crrrraaaaazzzaaaaayyyy!

I was going to post about it yesterday, but it kept happening over and over and I got fed up and logged out.

Like you, CG, it's only happening with my beloved SB.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

FSUGUY 447 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-05-05, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FSUGUY Click to send private message to FSUGUY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
XP here too....

MAKE IT STOP!!!

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-07-05, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
This is getting out of control and making me very nervous about visiting SB. It's been happening for a week now.

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-05, 04:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
Since you haven't gotten a response here, you should email Webby. Sounds like no-good-nastiness to me.

11-07-05, 04:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
The worst of it all is that it's keeping me away from the boards.

It's happening with this site on both my work computer and my home computer. I don't share files between the two pooters.

I'm searching the Microsoft knowledge base in case it's an XP thing.

universityofkentuckyrocks 2572 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-07-05, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Not to me"
I have XP and haven't seen anything like that.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

11-07-05, 07:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
I'm getting it too. It just started happening a week or two ago. I have on two firewalls and three different pop-up blockers and it makes it through them all. I just close it, wait for the next one, close it and then all seems to operate fine. It happens everytime I shut down or go on standby. I too am on XP both at work and at home.

FSUGUY 447 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-08-05, 11:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FSUGUY Click to send private message to FSUGUY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "NO HELP BOARD"
people have been posting for sometime now.... no response....

Same thing happened last time I had problems....

do mods/admins even look here?

STOP ALL POP UPS!!!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

11-09-05, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
Hi folks, I've checked into this and have so far been unable to reproduce the behavior you are describing.

It's possible the issue might be geography-specific. I'm assuming Canada Girl is accessing the site from Canada -- frisky, FSUGUY and brvnkrz, what countries are you in? Also, is the install dialog for Microsoft Office or for Microsoft Windows? And what version of Microsoft Office do you have installed on your systems?

Thanks,
SB

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

11-09-05, 06:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
Frisky is also Canada and I'm in California. I have Microsoft Office 2003. As far as install dialog, I don't know the answer to that one.
Thank You

11-09-05, 10:25 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
I am Canadian. *raises beer mug*

I'm using MS Office 2000.

I wrote down the message verbatim. Here's what I'm getting:

The box is titled "Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional" and the text says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removeable disk that is not available. Insert the "Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional" disk and click OK."

When I hit "cancel," I get "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional. The Windows installer cannot continue." I get this same message if I hit the little "x" up there in the corner of the pop-up.

When I hit the "OK" button on this message, I get the installer again. After a couple of tries, my browser shuts down.

The good news is that I can put the IE window on top of this nasty popup and still wander about on the boards, but this is worrisome.

So, I checked out the Microsoft site for this Error 1706, and I got this page, among others. It says:

You may experience this problem if all of the following conditions are true: • Your computer is running Microsoft Windows 2000.
• Office 2000 is installed on your computer.
• You used a CD to install Office.
• You did not start any of the Office programs yet.
• You start a third-party program that uses Mscomctl.ocx.

Does that last thingie apply to RTVW?

*headbutt*

zombiebaby 7355 desperate attention whore postings

11-12-05, 07:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Odd Pop-Up Occurence"
Happening to me too! Only on this site! I just have to keep hitting cancel.

I am in NY if that helps and I am using Windows XP.

IceCat 17313 desperate attention whore postings

11-12-05, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Here's what worked for me..."
Follow the instructions located on this page:

http://www.activsoftware.com/support/kb/index.cfm/fuseaction/single/id/1018

Start by launching Control Panel from the Start Menu or My Computer icon.

Select "Add or Remove Programs" and scroll to "Microsoft Office 2000".

Select "Microsoft Office 2000" and click the "Change" button.

This launches the Microsoft Office 2000 Maintenance Mode Window.

Select "Add or Remove Features" and expand "Office Tools".

Select the arrow next to HTML Source Editing and select the "Not Available" option.

Press the "Update Now" button at the bottom left to complete the process.

The installer will prompt that Office 2000 has been configured successfully.

11-16-05, 01:34 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Here's what worked for me..."
*tackles Icecat*

*puts him in headlock*

*lick* *lick *lick* *playbite* *lick* *lick* *smooch*

It worked. Thank you.

Wallflower66 2394 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

11-26-05, 00:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wallflower66 Click to send private message to Wallflower66 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Here's what worked for me..."
Yes, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

mysticwolf 10692 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-05, 02:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mysticwolf Click to send private message to mysticwolf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Here's what worked for me..."
FWIW, I was experiencing the same thing, but it was Frontpage that kept wanting to load. I tried the Office fix offered, but that didn't do it. Followed the same directions - only going into Office Tools under Frontpage and turning off HTML editing there. It took care of the problem. Thank you Icey!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •