The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Question for Webby"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Help Forum (Protected)
Original message

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-09-04, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Question for Webby"
I am posting this question because there are a few others who might be interested in the answer.

Do you know if Reality TV shows now generally include as part of their contract with individuals who appear a stipulation that contestants may only discuss the show on their own network--and not other places, like here for instance?

Several times in the recent past (Rebel Billionaire, Wife Swap) a contestant has briefly posted and then abruptly disappeared. Avi from Wife Swap mentioned he had been told to stop by his network people.

Is this a rule now? Even after their show/segment has been broadcast? How does that work?

Thanks

Swami

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Question for Webby SurvivorBlows 12-23-04 1
   RE: Question for Webby Swami 12-24-04 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

12-23-04, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Question for Webby"
LAST EDITED ON 12-23-04 AT 03:23 PM (EST)

>Do you know if Reality TV shows now generally include as
>part of their contract with individuals who appear a stipulation
>that contestants may only discuss the show on their own
>network--and not other places, like here for instance?

I don't believe such clauses are commonplace, I think its simply much more common to restrict a contestant from doing any non-network approved public appearances, interviews, etc. until after the show finishes broadcasting, they get booted, etc.

>Several times in the recent past (Rebel Billionaire, Wife Swap) a
>contestant has briefly posted and then abruptly disappeared. Avi
>from Wife Swap mentioned he had been told to stop
>by his network people.
>
>Is this a rule now?
>
>Even after their show/segment has been broadcast? How does
>that work?

It's not a rule of which I'm aware, although its important to note the "rules" vary not only by network but also by individual production. For every situation that you note above, I can cite numerous situations where network publicists have offered me contestant interview opportunities (gernally via telephone or conference call), however unfortunately I simply don't have the time to take them up on the offers.

The Rebel Millionaire contestant probably fell into the "can't talk before booting" scenario. As for the Wife Swap participant, I have no knowledge of any ABC restrictions, but I would think that the networks would be more concerned with what the contestants were saying -- and in what form it's communicated -- and less concerned with whom they were saying it to.

For example, giving a fansite a one-time phone interview with a contestant is a somewhat structured, controlled situation -- certainly moreso than a ongoing free-form message board exchange.

Plus formal interviews tend to result in "news stories" that are prominently promoted on a site (and therefore generate free PR that might help the viewership of future episodes) -- and, this is just speculation, but unfortunately they probably don't think some postings buried in a site's message board that is visited by only existing viewers of the show have the same PR upside, so why take a risk.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

12-24-04, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Question for Webby"
Thanks Webby.

Avi (from Wife Swap) sounded like a real DAW who was very disappointed that he couldn't post here, and his segment had aired when he said he couldn't post with us.

Candida was eliminated last week for Rebel Billionaire. We'll have to see if she comes back.

I wondered if perhaps there had been a general tightening up by the networks on where people can talk about the show. It seems like every reality show now has a network linked message board. And they no doubt want to get as many hits on their message board as possible, so a blanket ban on talking about the show seemed like something they would do if its legal & possible.

I have looked at a few of these show-sponsored message boards if I really like the show. Mostly they are not too appealing. In some of them the heavy hand of the network is visible because they will delete posts and links that they really don't like. The Mad Mad House message board was almost unreadable because every third post was some 14 year old girl offering her body and her blood to Don the Vampire. Funny, yet boring at the same time!

Swami

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •