The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 7 - "Pretend You're In Scotland Again""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Colonel Zoidberg 3370 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-19-08, 12:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 7 - "Pretend You're In Scotland Again""
INTERVIEW: "The Amazing Race" Odd Couple Ray Nabors, Jamal Washington Talk

Ray Nabors and Jamal Washington, the first father and future son-in-law team to appear on the Amazing Race, couldn't catch a train to stay out of last, and at the end, blew a chance to stay in the Race ahead of a team they were close to.

When the sixth leg ended, the prison guard and blackjack dealer from Biloxi, MS, were the fifth team to be sent home from the longest edition of the Amazing Race ever.

On Thursday, Ray and Jamal talked with RealityTVWorld.com about their experience, their friendship with Carrie and Dana, whether or not they're getting along, and the culture shock they experienced from other teams, and he turns that their lives have taken since coming home.

RealityTVWorld.com: How were you cast for The Amazing Race?
Jamal: Originally, I was going to go with Taylor, my fiancée, but she backed out and suggested that I go with her father because he's really smart and everything. At first, we laughed because we never got along, but most of the Race was actually a pretty good experience.
Ray: We sent in a video. There was an open casting call, but it was in Dallas and we didn't feel like going that far.

RTVW: A lot was made of the fact that you never got along before the Race. What was it like, really?
Ray: It wasn't that I didn't think Jamal wasn't good enough for my daughter. It was that the way he lived wasn't good enough for her. I wanted him to do better for himself.
Jamal: Aside from that, he didn't like my smoking or the way I dressed. Ray's an opponent of smoking, and I've cut back, but it's hard to quit, especially with all the new stress in my life. But I don't smoke around Ray or his wife.

RTVW: Jamal, have you and Taylor set a date?
Jamal: No. We're not together anymore. We're thinking about getting back together, but some things happened that are making that impossible now.
Ray: My daughter cheated.
Jamal: She confessed to me that she was seeing another guy, and she ended it. It hurt, but I think that the time apart will do us good.

RTVW: Ray, why so quick to talk about your daughter's shortcomings?
Ray: I read Jamal to Riot Act for accusing Taylor of cheating, and she did the same. And then Taylor told me she did, and I felt pretty dumb. Besides, I did the same thing, and Jamal busted me. That was the whole reason we fought after we got back.
Jamal: Ray was cool about it, at least as cool as you can be to someone who busted you for cheating.
Ray: Like I said, Jamal's a smart kid. I wish he'd apply himself.

RTVW: Jamal, why start smoking again?
Jamal: I went back to school. It's hard, and I tried to stay off cigarettes, but I ended up drinking instead. I figured smoking was safer.

RTVW: Tell me about your friendship with {"Teacher and Former Student" Carrie Burnside and Dana Quinn.}
Ray: Carrie's an amazing woman. She reminds me a lot of my wife. She's so down-to-earth and such a straight-shooter--
Jamal: Admit it, Ray. You were checking her out.
Ray: Like you didn't eyeball Dana the whole time. That was hilarious when she told you she liked girls.
Jamal: Almost as good as when Carrie told you she was dating a skinny white guy.

RTVW: A lot was made about the time in Wales when you said you had never met a lesbian or interracial couple. How accurate is that?
Jamal: I'm sure I've met women who date other women. I just didn't know it. I don't have a problem with it so long as enough women date men for me to get a date.
Ray: I looked a little bigoted when I told Carrie that I never met an interracial couple. I have, actually, but no married couples. I just didn't know there were men out there like (Carrie's boyfriend, Rex Majors) who only dated women of other races.
Jamal: We're not bigots. It wasn't even an issue for me growing up. I just didn't really know about it.

RTVW: Was it planned that you would be partnered with Carrie and Dana during the Intersection, or was it just convenience?
Ray: Convenience. We didn't mind, but that's all it was.

RTVW: What happened at the Roadblock, Jamal?
Jamal: I got a lead on Dana, but she just started to figure me out, I guess. She fights really well when she's backed into a corner. I would have beaten Carrie, I think, but Dana's only 5'6" and she could defend really well.

RTVW: Why did you guys have such a rough time out there?
Ray: My attention to detail is pretty much entirely learned. I wasn't born with it. I picked up some things when I was a prison guard, but searching for things was never a strong point.
Jamal: That plus we forgot the rules half the time.

RTVW: Yeah, you guys did. You dropped from fifth to eleventh in Rio for making flight arrangements for Carrie and Dana. Why do that?
Jamal: To keep up the friendship. We figured they would help us in return.

RTVW: They helped some, but mostly they benefited from your friendship with them.
Ray: I know. But I didn't think they were hurting us, and I saw them as weaker, so I agreed to help them.
Jamal: Carrie is not weak. I heard all about how upset she made {"Married Parents" Jeffrey and Bryan Masters.} Bryan had headaches for a week after that.

RTVW: A lot has been made of Jeffrey's racist attitude. Did you guys get any of it?
Ray: I've been called a few names in my life. It takes all the power out of the words if you don't do anything in response. So I didn't speak to either of them.
Jamal: I did. I shot back a few words to her. I wasn't the only one, though; some of the things {"Ex-Girlfriends" Allison "Spike" Blades and Jennifer Ellsworth} said to them turned people's heads.

RTVW: So it really was that bad between those two.
Ray: Yes, it really was. We ended up getting to know Spike and Jennifer pretty well, and they're nice girls, too, at least around people they like.
Jamal: I guess it won't surprise you that I'd never met a girl with a buzz cut before Spike.

RTVW: What about you guys? Has the Race repaired your relationship?
Ray: It helped. I gained a lot of respect for Jamal. But just being honest with each other made our relationship better.
Jamal: He's right. I might not end up married to Taylor, but I at least want her as a friend, and being able to be honest with Ray is a big step in the right direction.

RTVW: So what's next for you guys? Jamal, you said you're going back to school.
Jamal: I got financial aid, and I started back up. I talked with Kea about it at sequester, and we both decided to go back. I'm majoring in art history.
(At this point, Ray gives a shocked look.)
Jamal: I'm kidding. I'm majoring in computer programming.
Ray: I was suspended from my job for having an affair with a co-worker, but I'm back, and everything is hopefully back to normal.

The Show Begins - air date 10/22/2008

The introductory shot is of Geneva, Switzerland; Jet d'Eau is lit up for the night, and several buildings from the Old City of Geneva are shown.

Phil (voice-over): Previously on the Amazing Race...ten teams set out from Geneva and traveled to Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. Alex and Elena got a chance to go to a country where they spoke the language.

Team confessional, Alex and Elena.

Elena: I'm fluent in Russian and Czech as well as my native Bulgarian, so this leg is a chance to try out my language skills.

Phil (voice-over): Spike and Jennifer looked to steer clear of Jeffrey and Bryan.

Jennifer: How are you feeling?

Spike: Fine, as long as I stay the hell away from Ohio.

Jennifer: Fine with me.

Phil (voice-over): At the airport, Carrie opened up to Tina, but Tina wasn't receptive.

Carrie: Life's too damn short to be miserable. People try to give me s--- for who I date, too, but--

Tina: What do you mean, who you date?

Carrie: I'll show you.

Carrie takes out a picture of her with Rex, her boyfriend, and shows it to Tina.

Tina: He's so skinny. I take it people don't like the whole white-black thing.

Carrie: Some don't. But if you love the guy, don't let other people tell you it's wrong.

Carrie reaches up and places her arm on Tina's shoulder; Tina cringes and almost falls forward as if she's in pain.

Carrie: I'm sorry; did I hurt you?

Tina is on her knees shaking in fear.

(confessional) Tina: I'm not good with unexpected contact, and I think that what Carrie tried to do was nice and all, but the contact just made it impossible to concentrate.

Phil (voice-over): Jim tried to comfort Tina.

Jim: It's OK. She didn't mean anything. She was just trying to help.

Tina (stuttering): I-I know. I j-just c-can't deal with c-cont-tact.

Jim: I understand. Now come on. We have a plane to catch. I'll get you something to drink.

Phil (voice-over): In Prague, Hayley and Alexis made a move against Spike and Jennifer.

Jennifer: You guys just want to get in that van with us and get the hell out of here? Those guys are f------ creepy.

Hayley: What are you afraid of?

Jennifer: They tried to slip a mushroom in Spike's sandwich on the way into Switzerland.

Hayley: So? That's weird, not dangerous.

Spike: I'm allergic to mushrooms. I could have died.

Hayley: Oh, come on. He didn't know.

Spike: Yes, he did. I said something in Wales, and he overheard it. This was after he tore my nose ring out.

Alexis: I was wondering what happened to that. You look better now than you did with it in.

Spike: Thanks a lot, bitches.

A cab pulls up; Hayley and Alexis slink into the cab, leaving Spike and Jennifer without one.

Spike: Well, make that two teams on our s--- list.

Phil (voice-over): And teams were greeted with an Intersection, the next game twist.

Alexis: Intersection. So all that cab-stealing left us with no advantage.

Hayley: Yeah, just watch. Those two bitches will catch up to us or something.

Arriving soon after and getting out of their cab are Bobby and Caroline, currently in fourth place.

Alexis: Well, here comes the lesser of two evils.

Phil (voice-over): Spike and Jennifer weren't stuck with Hayley and Alexis, but they were less pleased with the team that joined them next.

Team confessional, Jeffrey and Bryan.

Bryan: The Goths could not have been more unhappy to see us. And really, I couldn't have picked a worse team to work with. She just took a swing at me in the last leg; what do I say to that?

Phil (voice-over): At the Detour, a fear-inspiring bungee jump led Derek to play mind games with Alex and Elena.

Charlie: I can't skateboard worth a damn. Anyone here afraid to bungee jump?

Derek: Yeah, I am.

Charlie: Well, suck it up and do it, you big wimp.

(confessional) Derek: I'm not actually afraid to bungee jump, but my dad and I mess with each other all the time, and we're trying to mess with Tennessee, too.

Phil (voice-over): And Spike and Jennifer got back at Hayley and Alexis by taking their spot.

Alexis: Hey, we're here first.

Spike: Nice try. We have all four of us. We're going ahead.

Alexis: Take us first, people. The other one is on her way.

Instructor: By rule, I take the team that arrived first. All four members are here. I will take this team.

Spike walks up to the edge and begins to fit herself for the bungee equipment.

Spike: Enjoy waiting, bitches.

Phil (voice-over): While Hayley and Alexis wondered if Spike and Jennifer were really working with Jeffrey and Bryan.

Team confessional, Hayley and Alexis.

Hayley: As much as the Goths and Ohio say they hate each other, I have to wonder if there isn't some kind of hidden deal going on between them.

Alexis: I wouldn't be surprised if all the hate is just for show. That's the kind of people they are.

Phil (voice-over): Bobby struggled with bungee jumping.

Team confessional, Bobby and Caroline.

Caroline: I don't know what Bobby's problem was, but it's almost a fear of the unknown, and once he tries something, he likes it.

Bobby: Yeah, I'll just call it that.

Phil (voice-over): Spike, Jennifer, Jeffrey, and Bryan caught up to the front of the pack.

Elena: And as we're boarding the train, here comes Seattle and Ohio all out of breath, having caught up to us.

Alex: So there went our advantage that we had earned in the last leg. We were in a fight for our lives.

Elena: Well, it wasn't that bad. But I wanted another first-place finish, and our odds were just cut in half.

Phil (voice-over): While Carrie, Dana, Ray, and Jamal fell to the back.

Carrie: We need to be on the first train to Cesky Krumlov.

Agent: I'm sorry; that train is leaving now.

Carrie: Can you hold the train for just ten minutes? We need to be on it.

Agent: I'm sorry; I can not. You will need to wait for the next train in an hour.

Phil (voice-over): At the Roadblock, Jennifer and Jeffrey fenced against each other, but Jennifer's skill overwhelmed Jeffrey's lack of experience.

Team confessional, Spike and Jennifer.

Jennifer: I fenced in college just as a way to blow off steam; Jeffrey clearly had no idea what she was doing, so I took advantage.

Spike: I didn't have any idea what either of them was doing, so I was glad Jen was so skilled.

The score is 4-0 in Jennifer's favor.

Referee: En garde!

Jeffrey parries, blocking Jennifer's first attack; however, Jennifer, ducks her with a low thrust and hits her in the vest.

Referee: Five points!

The referee hands Jennifer the clue as she begins to shed the fencing gear; Jeffrey waits on the side with Bryan.

Phil (voice-over): And Spike and Jennifer got to the Pit Stop first.

Cut to Spike and Jennifer at the Pit Stop.

Phil: You're team number ONE!

Jennifer embraces Spike warmly as the two shout gladly; Jennifer kisses Spike on the cheek and then on the lips.

Phil (voice-over): Dana faced off against Jamal to stay out of last. Jamal took an early lead.

(confessional) Dana: I decided to do the Roadblock because I knew we had to win. I'm only 5'6", so I decided that I wouldn't be as easy to hit as Carrie, who's way too tall.

Cut to Dana vs. Jamal.

Referee: En garde!

Dana plays defensively, almost tentatively, at first; after thrusting four times, Jamal strikes Dana.

(confessional) Jamal: Dana had no idea what she was doing at first, so I took that and gave myself a lead to start off. I tried not to let her back in the game, though, but the girl goes to Harvard or someplace and she's a quick learner.

Phil (voice-over): But Dana came back and won.

Team confessional, Carrie and Dana.

Dana: At that point, when the score was tied, I just felt like I had the eye of the tiger in me, and I wasn't going to back down. Jamal's a friend and a hell of a nice guy, but if he goes or I go, I'm sorry, but he has to go.

Carrie: And I hate to say it, but if we go, they won't be around too much longer. If they go, we have a chance. Not to knock them, but it's just our track record.

Cut to Dana vs. Jamal; Dana is swatting away Jamal's attempts to strike her, and he appears more and more frustrated.

He tries the same overhand motion, swinging quickly.

Dana lifts her foil up.

She deflects the hit, and the foil falls out of Jamal's hand.

Jamal: Damnit.

Phil (voice-over): As a result, Carrie and Dana were spared.

Cut to Carrie and Dana at the Pit Stop.

Phil: You're team number nine!

Dana wraps Carrie up in her arms; Carrie gives off a humbled smile.

Phil (voice-over): And Ray and Jamal were sent packing.

Phil: I'm sorry to tell you that you have been eliminated from the Race.

Phil (voice-over): Nine teams remain. Who will be eliminated next?

The opening credits begin to roll. At first, a Mercator projection of the world in black, green, and yellow, with the Amazing Race logo superimposed over it cuts to a view of an airplane flying above a layer of clouds. The phrase "14 teams of 2" appears on screen. The first team shown on screen is Leilani and Kea against an island backdrop. The credits continue to Carrie and Dana outside a college building, Hayley and Alexis in front of a row of prison cells, Reggie and Dan outside FedEx Field, Bobby and Caroline in front of their Colorado home, Ray and Jamal in front of a panoramic shot of the Gulf of Mexico, Tina and Jim on a football field sideline with a medical pod in the backdrop, Debra and Bob on a hilly road with their bikes, Alex and Elena on a college green, Jeffrey and Bryan in front of a construction site, Spike and Jennifer outside Seattle's City Hall, and Steve and Darius on a chicken ranch. In this ending, Eric and Jessica appear outside Jessica's home in Kansas, and Charlie and Derek appear on a hockey rink.

The screen cuts to commercial.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 05-19-08 1
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 05-19-08 2
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 05-19-08 3
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 05-19-08 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-19-08, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 7 - "Pretend You're In Scotland Again""
Blog Entry, 10/16/2008
Authored by: Taylor Nabors, blueinbiloxi

I read the interview that Dad and Jamal gave for Reality TV world. It was heartwarming, but I really didn't feel like every Race fan needed to know what I did to Jamal. Yes, I cheated on him. And yes, Dad cheated on Mom. And yes, I've caught hell for it. I've been called all kinds of names, and Dad's practically a persona non grata at the prison he works at. Even the inmates seem to have lost a lot of respect for him. Never mind that most of them probably cheated on their significant others - it's only a crime if your last name is Nabors, I guess.

The fact is, Mom has exiled Dad to the guest bedroom, and Dad has accepted his sentence. Jamal and I are not together. But at least Dad's getting along with Jamal. I feel like I wished for them to be friends on a monkey's paw - legend has it that a monkey's paw is like a sinister rabbit's foot. Wishing on a rabbit's foot gives good luck; a monkey's paw give you your wish in a really undesirable way. For example, if Mom wished to have the mortgage paid off, Dad would probably die in a car accident and the mortgage would be paid out of his life insurance. In that way, I wished for Jamal to get along with my father. I've become a cheater and so has Dad, and the family's torn apart, but at least Dad and Jamal get along.

I've exchanged IMs and e-mails with Jamal. He's cool with me, and he did express a desire to be friends, but I want more than that. I want to be Mrs. Jamal Washington someday...scratch that. I'm too attached to my last name. But I do want to marry him. I don't know if I ever will, though; he's busy with school and working at the casino - he got promoted and now supervises the floor workers. He's moving up, but not in the way I imagined.

I have made an interesting friendship out of this, though - Dana's girlfriend. She's an absolute sweetheart, and I can see why she and Dana were drawn to each other. I was a little baffled when they talked about getting married, though - I've heard the whole debate on gay marriage, but I tune it out because I never really cared one way or another. For me, marriage was me and a man. But those two ladies love each other dearly, and if they decide to get married (and apparently it's legal in California) then I'm all for it.

While I typed this blog, I've had two IM conversations - one with Jamal and one with my new boyfriend. I'd say I'm deciding between them, but I already decided, and right now, I'm just seeing if I made the right decision. Jamal told me he has a date this weekend. I was crushed. But I'll be OK.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to trying to fix my parents' marriage. My suggestion? Mom gets one night with the man of her choice. Anyone. I hope she takes it - Jamal turned me down when I offered it to him.

Back from commercial.

Cut to an overview of Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic. The main focus is Krumlov Castle, which is lit mainly by candles. The last shot is of the front of the castle with some surrounding parts of the town.

Phil (voice-over): This...is Cesky Krumlov. This river-based town built in the 12th century for trade purposes was the sixth Pit Stop in a race around the world.

Cut to the arrivals of Spike and Jennifer, Alex and Elena, Hayley and Alexis, and Carrie and Dana.

Phil (voice-over): Teams arrived here for a mandatory rest period. The teams waiting here have no idea what's in store for them. During the Pit Stop, Carrie was taken to the hospital after suffering from a hypoglycemic attack.

Cut to a medical team carrying Carrie on a stretcher, she is hooked up to an IV, and Dana, Spike, and Derek are by her side.

Phil (voice-over): Carrie was given fluids and released from the hospital in time to begin racing again.

Cut to Carrie arriving back at the hospital; Charlie embraces her, and she begins to tear up.

Phil (voice-over): Spike and Jennifer, who were the first to arrive at 10:24 am...

Cut to Spike and Jennifer, first to depart at 10:24 pm.

Phil (voice-over): ...will depart at 10:24 pm.

Spike: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique--

Cut to an airplane taking off from Ruzyne International Airport in Prague and then a flash to the skyline of Maputo.

Phil (voice-over): Teams must travel back to Prague and fly over 5,400 miles to Maputo, Mozambique. From there, teams must head to Mozal, a large aluminum smelting plant, where they will find their next clue.

Cut to Spike and Jennifer.

Spike: You have $35 for this leg of the Race.

Cut to Charlie and Derek, second to depart at 10:33 pm.

Charlie: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Derek: How much money do we have?

Charlie: Just thirty-five, but things are dirt cheap in Africa.

Team confessional, Charlie and Derek.

Charlie: It's to the point where we're starting to have money problems, but I was a single father for eleven years, and Derek's been in college for three, so we learned how to budget.

Derek: I learned to get fuel very cheaply in college. It's just more difficult on the run in different parts of the world.

Charlie: As opposed to on the run in Ann Arbor.

Derek: Hey, you're never too busy to eat.

Cut to Alex and Elena, third to depart at 10:33 pm.

Elena: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Cut to Jeffrey and Bryan, fourth to depart at 10:40 am.

Bryan: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Jeffrey: Ugh...just great.

Bryan: What the hell's wrong?

Jeffrey: I can't imagine going to Africa.

Bryan: Well, pretend you're in Scotland again.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline, fifth to depart at 11:29 pm.

Caroline: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Bobby: I hope this isn't harder than what we've been doing.

Caroline: Give it a rest, Bobby.

Cut to Tina and Jim, sixth to depart at 11:39 pm. Jim's knee has a brace on it.

Jim: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique. Great. Sounds like more physical tasks.

Team confessional, Tina and Jim.

Jim: In the ongoing saga of my knee, I have a brace on it now. I hope it holds up.

Tina: When we get out of here, please get it looked at.

Jim: When we get out of here.

Cut to Hayley and Alexis, seventh to depart at 11:41 pm.

Hayley: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Alexis: So now it gets tough. Well, we're ready.

Cut to Reggie and Dan, eighth to depart at 11:42 pm.

Dan: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Team confessional, Reggie and Dan.

Dan: Reggie and I have done come charity work that benefited a few African nations, so hopefully we'll see something to warm our hearts here.

Reggie: From what I've seen of Africa, it's very hard to live there, but the people are so friendly and appreciative.

Cut to Carrie and Dana, last to depart at 12:37 am.

Carrie: Travel back to Prague and fly to Maputo, Mozambique.

Dana: And I hope we get a decent flight. We have to get out of last.

Carrie: I haven't really been taking the best care of my body, and it came to bite me in the ass at the Pit Stop. I go hours without eating, and since I'm hypoglycemic, I can't really do that.

Dana: We didn't eat at all in the last leg, and with our spotty diet, it finally caught up to us.

Carrie: I really preferred not to let anyone know about my disorder, especially with Ohio still in the Race, but everyone found out in a big way. Thankfully, Ohio is sequestered, and everyone promised not to tell.

Cut to Ruzyne International Airport; Spike and Jennifer, currently in first place, are at the ticket counter at 4:00 am making flight arrangements. Other teams are behind them.

Agent: The first flight to Maputo leaves at 9:55 am this morning and goes through Johannesburg. It gets in at 10:40 tonight.

Spike: Thanks.

The tickets print, and Spike and Jennifer walk away from the ticket counter while Charlie and Derek, currently in second place, take their place.

Spike: I wasn't that impressed with the flight selection. Our entire advantage was gone because everyone got the same flight.

Jennifer: It's OK, though. We're up front.

Cut to Carrie and Dana, currently in last place, purchasing tickets.

Agent: The flight you want takes off at 9:55 am and lands at 10:40 pm after stopping in Johannesburg.

Carrie: Well, that's what everyone else seemed to get.

Dana: We'll have a plane full of teams.

Cut to the inside of the plane; all nine teams are aboard.

Phil (voice-over): All nine teams are now on their way from Prague to Maputo via Johannesburg.

Cut to Maputo International Airport at 10:49 pm; Spike and Jennifer, currently in first place, are the first team off the plane. They dash through the airport and reach the outside, where a row of taxis awaits.

Spike (raising her arm): Taxi!

Jennifer claims a taxi; Spike piles in with her.

Jennifer: I did everything I could to hold onto our lead in Mozambique right away. I got us a quick taxi, and the driver was pretty smart.

Jennifer: We need to get to Mozal. Quickly, please.

Cut to Charlie and Derek, currently in second place.

Derek: Planta de alumínio de Mozal, por favor. Vá rapidamente. (Subtitle: Mozal aluminum plant, please. Go quickly.)

Charlie: Are you speaking another language?

Derek: Again, thanks a million for sending me to Rio.

Derek: I got lucky again. They speak Portuguese in Mozambique, and I learned some in Brazil.

Charlie: Never say I didn't do anything for you.

Derek: Never would. Of course, you benefit here. By the way, Feliz aniversario, Danni, meu amor. (Subtitle: Happy birthday, Danni, my love.)

Charlie: It's not your anniversary by a long shot.

Derek: It's her birthday tomorrow.

Charlie: Well, buy her a present.

Cut to Mozal, outside of which Spike and Jennifer, currently in first place, are arriving. Spike opens the clue.

Spike: Travel to Zavora--

Cut to Phil in the village of Zavora.

Phil: Teams must travel nearly 260 miles by train to Zavora and find the Ponta Zavora lighthouse. It is here that teams will receive their next clue.

Spike: I hope the trains travel at night.

Jennifer: Or at least early morning.

Cut to Maputo train station; Spike and Jennifer; currently in first place, are buying tickets.

Spike: We need two tickets to Zavora.

Agent: The next train takes off at 4:30 am.

Spike: That's fine. I'm just glad to be on it.

Agent: I think you will like Zavora.

Spike: I think I like you.

Spike: The people here in Mozambique are like nothing I imagined. The guy at the ticket counter was a sweetheart, and everyone treats me like a person and not some kind of sideshow.

Jennifer: It's like they live in total poverty, but they're just so friendly. I look at my life in America, and I have it so well. I know I need to learn to treat people better. This is a very humbling experience.

Spike: Don't cry, Jen.

Jennifer: I was going to say the same to you.

Cut to the train station; all nine teams have arrived, but focusing on Derek shows that he appears extremely restless.

Charlie: Derek, you OK?

Derek: Yeah. I'm fine.

Charlie: No, you're not. You're usually the happiest guy I know. What the hell's wrong with you?

Derek: This is the first time I feel like I should be home with Danni instead of here. I love her and I miss her.

Charlie: Is this because it's her birthday? You knew about--

Derek: That doesn't make it easy, Dad.

Derek: I've had a rough time so far here in Africa. Danni's birthday is today, and I just feel bad for being here instead of there. I wish I could at least send a message to her or something.

Charlie: I'd say that you only started dating her two months ago, but you might kill me.

Derek: I'll be fine. I really will.

Cut to Charlie and Derek boarding the train with the other teams; Carrie has her arm around Derek while Dana is chatting with Charlie and Spike.

Carrie: You really love this girl, don't you?

Derek: More than I ever thought I could love someone.

Carrie: Well, the way I look at it, you already gave her an early birthday present.

Derek: How do you--oh, you mean because I didn't cheat on her with you?

Carrie: Derek, I don't mean to be immodest, but I'm, well--

Derek: I know. Absolutely beautiful.

Carrie: Well, you said it.

Derek: A lot of people think Danni's just going out with me to be in good graces with my dad and the Survivor community. It's not like that.

Carrie: Why would people think that?

Derek: After she got back, she was a wreck. She pretty much shut everyone out. But I started talking to her. I wasn't fooling myself into thinking she would fall for me. But I did want her friendship.

Carrie: So you talked to her a lot, and she felt better?

Derek: Exactly. I did what I could. And for some reason, she fell for me.

Carrie: Maybe it's because you're such a nice guy.

Derek: I try.

(confessional) Carrie: I had a chance to talk to Derek on the way to Zavora, and he was really upset because it's his girlfriend's birthday. He didn't cry, so I must have done something right.

Cut back to Carrie and Derek; Carrie is drinking a fruit drink and eating a pear.

Derek: So how are you holding up since the Pit Stop?

Carrie: I'm better. Thanks for keeping me company. You're a real friend.

(confessional) Carrie: I'm really trying to get close to Derek to fill the gap Ray and Jamal left. I know I won't hook up with him or anything, and that's fine, but it always helps to have a friend. Besides, they're the best team in the Race, and being close to them will help a lot.

Cut to Jeffrey and Bryan sitting in a train car; they are not near any other teams. Jeffrey is looking out the window at some of the area near Zavora.

Jeffrey: I can't f------ believe we have to race in this hellhole. I never would have done this if I thought we'd have to go through this s---.

Bryan: We'll get through it and then be back in civilization before too long.

Jeffrey (shouting): It's not f------ soon enough! I have to spend the next day wading through garbage because these squalid piece of s--- so-called people can't be bothered to clean up after themselves! All they do is spread disease and breed people to spread disease! They're f------ subhuman!

Jeffrey pauses as Bryan does not look up at her.

Jeffrey (fuming): I wish they would just wipe this whole f------ place off the map!

A quick pan shows Elena staring at Jeffrey with a combination of confusion and anger.

Jeffrey (shouting): What the f--- are you looking at, bitch?

Jeffrey and Elena stare each other down.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

05-19-08, 12:05 PM (EST)
2. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 7 - "Pretend You're In Scotland Again""
Blog entry, 10/23/2008
Authored by: Natasha Gordeeva, russianprincess

I suppose it's no surprise when I say that Carrie and Derek made friends very quickly and are still very close. Carrie even told me that Derek's girlfriend is jealous that Derek talks to her so much, but she's mostly over it. Carrie tried taking their friendship to the next level - and come on, look at the woman; it's not like she's not drop-dead gorgeous - and Derek wouldn't do it. But I guess she made it up to him by counseling him through the Mozambique leg.

Carrie's no stranger to this form of group therapy. Dana told me that, when she was first in Carrie's class, the two of them did not see eye to eye. Dana didn't take Carrie seriously, and Carrie didn't take Dana seriously. Dana told me she saw Carrie as this crazy, capricious woman who was more interested in being her friend than her teacher, but at the same time, made demands that Dana felt like she couldn't meet. At the same time, Carrie saw Dana as an airhead who didn't take school seriously and was taking an advanced class just for the hell of it.

Halfway through the year, Dana came to Carrie for help, and soon after that, Dana started doing much better. Also, Carrie revealed that she was going through a messy divorce and her now-ex-husband turned into a first-rate jackass. So they started talking a lot more after class - Dana because she wanted help writing better, and Carrie because she needed a shoulder to cry on - and by the end of the year, as sappy as this sounds, they were best friends. Even the rumors that Dana was doing well because she was having an affair with Carrie didn't bother them (and Dana coming out after graduation didn't help...and trust me, I've barked up that tree, but Carrie's 100% straight. Hey, I tried.)

But lately, Rex has been right...Carrie isn't herself. She basically functions and that's it. She even sleeps most nights on the couch because she thinks Rex is ashamed of her. Come on, Carrie. That Rex is the luckiest SOB on the planet. He knows it. He wants his girlfriend back. He doesn't want you to be scared to go into coffee shops. Seriously. She has a phobia of Starbucks now. She used to be a caffeine addict. Maybe not the best thing for someone who's been hypoglycemic since birth (and she tries to hide it, too, but she failed) but it does the job for her. And now she won't go near a Starbucks.

I've tried to convince her to go to counseling. So have Dana and Rex. Good luck getting through that force field.

Back from commercial.

Jeffrey (shouting): What the f--- are you looking at, bitch?

Jeffrey and Elena stare each other down.

Elena: On the way to Zavora, Jeffrey had a huge breakdown. OK, we get it. You hate people that aren't like you. You picked the wrong show.

Alex: All she's doing is making people hate her. And that means less people hate us or worry about us.

Cut to Zavora, where teams are exiting the train; Alex and Elena, currently in first place, spot the Punta Zavora Lighthouse and begin running for it.

Alex and Elena, currently in first place, arrive at the lighthouse.

Alex: Detour. Ride It or Raft It?

Cut to Phil ad Induna Adventures by an open river.

Phil: In this Detour, teams must choose between two ways to navigate the African wilderness. Their choices? Ride It or Raft It.

Cut to a stable at the beginning of a horse trail.

Phil: In Ride It, teams must ride horses along a trail that spans one mile; at the other end of the trail will be their next clue. The task is not physical in nature, but teams that cannot work well with animals could be stuck.

Cut to Phil near a rafting dock.

Phil: In Raft It, teams must take a raft along a two-and-a-half mile course in a rough river. Once they reach the end, they will receive their next clue. It's a lot of hard work and balance, but if a teams can hang on, it may finish quickly.

Cut to Alex and Elena.

Elena: We're in good shape. We can do Raft It.

Alex: They gave us cars. Let's go.

Soon to arrive are Charlie and Derek, currently in second place.

Charlie: Detour. Ride It or Raft It?

Derek: I can raft. I'm too big for a horse, anyway.

Charlie: Let's go.

Lining up for the clues are Spike and Jennifer, Hayley and Alexis, Bobby and Caroline, Tina and Jim, Carrie and Dana, and Jeffrey and Bryan; Reggie and Dan, currently in last place, have not yet arrived.

Spike: Detour. Ride It or Raft It? Can you ride a horse?

Jennifer: I can ride anything.

Spike: I'll choose not to take that the wrong way.

The next several cuts are of teams making their Detour decisions.

Alexis: Let's do Raft It. We can keep up with the boys.

Caroline: We can do Ride It.

Jim: My knee's too bad to ride a horse. We better do Raft It.

Dana: Let's do Ride It.

Bryan: We'll Ride It.

All other teams are gone by the time Reggie and Dan arrive.

Dan: Detour. Ride It or Raft It?

Reggie: I'm too big to ride a horse. I think the weight limit is 250 in the U.S.

Reggie: I'm the heaviest contestant here; I know that, in the U.S., I don't meet the weight requirement for horseback riding, so I decided it would be safer to ride on a raft.

Dan: I thought it might be faster, too.

Cut to Induna Adventures; Alex and Elena, currently in first place, have arrived. Two signs point in different directions; "Raft It" points to the left, while "Ride It" points to the right. Alex and Elena follow the path to the left; no one is behind them.

Alex hops aboard a raft, helping Elena aboard; alongside the edges of the river are large Race flags that are red and yellow. Both Alex and Elena paddle steadily, and the current appears to be picking up.

The raft drifts toward the left edge of the river; Alex tries frantically to push it back, and Elena tries to steer frantically.

Alex: When it comes to raw strength, I'm not always the best. Alex against a river usually results in the river winning.

Elena: Especially when it was as rough as it was. I felt like we were about to get passed by every team.

Cut to Alex and Elena trying to steer; on their heels are Charlie and Derek, who are having better luck steering.

Charlie (to Alex and Elena): Hey guys!

Alex sticks his tongue out at Charlie as the two rafts come to side by side.

Derek: Hey Dad, let's moon them!

Charlie and Derek both stand facing away from Alex and Elena; they both quickly moon their opponents and return to paddling.

Derek: I didn't mean any disrespect toward Alex and Elena. I did mean to have some fun and loosen everyone up.

Charlie: Derek's a crazy guy, and having fun is very important to him. It's because of Derek that I'm not such an old stiff.

Derek: You're always an old stiff.

Charlie: Compared to you, everyone's a stiff.

Cut to Ride It; Spike and Jennifer are near the beginning of the trail.

Spike: OK, how do you work one of these things?

Jennifer: Be gentle, Spike. For once in your life.

Spike: I didn't get a name like "Spike" by being gentle.

Jennifer: I've noticed.

Jennifer: I'm an animal lover, and Spike has no experience with animals, so I did a lot better with my horse than she did with hers.

Spike: All I know about horses is racing them. How to get one to walk a mile while I rode it wasn't exactly my area of expertise.

Cut to Ride It; Jennifer's horse is ahead of Spike's, which seems to be strolling along. Behind them are Carrie and Dana, who are catching up.

Spike (shouting): Damnit, you f------ slow-ass piece of s---; move your big ass and let's go!

Behind her, Dana is cracking up as Carrie strokes her horse's mane. Spike's horse goes nowhere, and Carrie and Dana catch up.

Carrie: Every horse has a trigger word, Spike. Don't get frustrated. Just try talking to your horse a little bit.

Spike: I don't know animals! I've never even had a cat!

Carrie: Easy, Spike. Easy.

Carrie: Poor Spike was having an impossible time with her horse, so since she's in my alliance, I decided to help her out.

Dana: I think the horse responded better to Carrie than to Spike. She's so soothing, it's almost like being talked to by a horse counselor or something.

Carrie: And you would know about horse counselors how?

Cut to Ride It, where Bobby and Caroline are near the starting point.

Bobby: Come on, horse; let's go.

Caroline: Come on, Bobby; you're leaving snail tracks!

Bobby: It's this f------ horse!

Caroline: Well, get it to go!

Bobby slaps the horse on the back a couple of times; the horse does not move.

Caroline: Really smart, Bobby. Hit the horse. That's going to make it do what you want.

Bobby: Forget it. This was a bad idea. Let's go to the other option.

Caroline: All you have to do is go one mile.

Bobby: That's too long for this stupid horse! Let's go!

Caroline: You give up whenever anything's hard! Why not just quit now?

Bobby: Fine! Why the f--- don't I?

Caroline: At the Detour, I really started to see a side of Bobby I didn't like. The vicious, short-tempered, lazy Bobby was what I wanted to get rid of.

Bobby: There are some things I just can't do. This is one of them.

Caroline: Well, try. That's all I ask.

Bobby: I did try.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline, who are at the beginning; passing them are Jeffrey and Bryan.

Caroline: Now look what happened. Those jerks passed us.

Bobby: We need new horses.

Caroline: We can't get new horses. Just pick up the pace and go.

Cut to Raft It, where Hayley and Alexis are ahead of Tina and Jim; Jim is kneeling and trying to steer while Tina paddles.

Tina: I could really use your strength.

Jim: I could really use a good knee.

Tina: Then why didn't you get surgery on it?

Jim: I did! They just botched it! I can't go through that again!

Cut to the end of Raft It; Charlie and Derek are trying to dock their raft.

Derek: This isn't something I learned in school.

Charlie: Well, let me handle it. Just push with all your strength.

Derek pushes the paddle as hard as he can, forcing the raft toward the edge of the water; Charlie steers it toward the shore, landing it next to an existing dock. Derek stumbles on his way off but gets back up with no trouble.

Charlie opens the clue.

Charlie: Drive yourselves back to Maputo--

Cut to Phil in front of a botanical garden in Maputo.

Phil: Teams must now travel back to Maputo nearly 260 miles by car and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens. Outside the entrance, teams will find their next clue.

Cut to Charlie and Derek; Alex and Elena are closing in on them.

Derek: I think we're first. Let's keep it that way.

Following behind are Alex and Elena, who reach their clue in second place.

Elena: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens.

Alex: We still have a shot to get first.

Cut to Ride It; Carrie and Dana are near the end of the course, and Spike and Jennifer are behind. Spike's horse has begun to mind her, but she is still two lengths behind Jennifer.

Another cut within Ride It shows Jeffrey and Bryan midway through the course but not near Spike and Jennifer. Bobby and Caroline have barely started.

Jeffrey: I usually don't get along with animals, but this horse served me pretty well. It did what I told it to, and it stayed within the marked path. It was a little like a car with legs.

Bryan: We passed Colorado, so that was all that mattered to me. We could get back to the top.

Cut to Carrie and Dana, currently in third place, arriving at the clue box.

Carrie: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and fine Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens. I've got the shakes again, Dana; do we have any fruit or anything?

Dana: Just pile in and I'll drive, Carrie. I'll get whatever I can.

Soon after Carrie and Dana leave, Spike and Jennifer arrive at the clue box.

Jennifer: Drive yourselves to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens.

Spike: Thank you for not making us ride horses back.

Spike: I finally got my horse to work thanks to some help from Carrie and Dana. It really helps to have such smart people working with us.

Jennifer: You could have asked me.

Spike: And you would have called me a dummy and told me to figure it out myself.

Jennifer: Maybe you're right.

Spike: I'm always right.

Cut to Raft It; Reggie and Dan are nearing the end of the course, seeing Hayley and Alexis docking and Jim struggling to get off the raft. Tina simply stands and waits.

Reggie: We saw Jim trying to get off the raft at the Detour, and Tina just stood there and didn't help. They're not much of a team.

Dan: I lost a lot of respect for Tina at that point. It's liek she doesn't even care to help.

Reggie: It worked out OK for us.

Cut to Raft It; Hayley and Alexis are at the clue box.

Alexis: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens.

Hayley: Awesome job on that raft.

Cut to Ride It; Jeffrey and Bryan are at the end, while Bobby and Caroline are not even halfway done.

Bryan dismounts, helps his wife down, and hands her the clue to open.

Jeffrey: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens.

Bryan: Awesome job on that horse.

Jeffrey: That's the first nice thing you've said to me this whole time out here.

Bryan: Let's try it again sometime, shall we?

Jeffrey cracks a smile and continues.

Cut to Raft It; Reggie and Dan have docked and passed Tina and Jim. Jim has gotten up on his own while Tina has stood waiting.

Team confessional, Tina and Jim.

Tina: I really hated to leave Jim there to get up by himself, but I felt like I didn't have a choice. I'm terrible with contact, and I would have freaked.

Jim: I'm used to getting up and everything by myself, so it was a struggle but not a big deal.

Cut to Reggie and Dan at the clue box.

Reggie: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens.

Jim hobbles up to the clue box, from which Tina has opened and retrieved a clue.

Tina: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens. Get in and rest your leg; I'll drive.

Jim: Got anything cold I can put on it?

Tina: I'll find something. Just rest it.

Cut to Ride It; Bobby and Caroline, currently in last place, are at a standstill.

Caroline: I guarantee we're not even halfway there. You can't do anything right, Bobby.

Bobby: Like you're doing any better--

Caroline: I'm held back here because you can't do a damn thing right! Why are you a f------ idiot?

Bobby: I'm not an idiot! You're a bitch!

Caroline: You can't even get a horse to obey you!

Bobby: Let's f------ go to the rafts.

Caroline: No.

Bobby: We're going to the rafts.

Caroline: No.

Bobby: Then I'll just sit here until you agree to go to the rafts.

Caroline: That's real mature, Bobby. Real f------ mature.

Bobby: Maybe if you listened to me--

Caroline (shouting): I don't have to listen to you! You listen to me! I'm in charge in this relationship, not you!

Bobby turns his head away from Caroline.

Caroline (sharply): Don't look away from me, you son of a bitch!

Bobby continues to ignore Caroline.

05-19-08, 12:06 PM (EST)
3. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 7 - "Pretend You're In Scotland Again""
Blog Entry, 10/23/2008
Authored by: Vladimir Ivanov, iswearimnotacommunist

I kind of half expected a natural alliance between my team and Carrie and Dana, simply based on the fact that Elena and Dana have an ex-boyfriend in common, but it turns out they never really discussed it until after they got back from the Race. Besides, Carrie seems to gravitate toward the strong male teams, or at least that's what Ray and Jamal chose to think of themselves as.

Alex and Elena have already come out and said something else - they are, in fact, a couple. Like everyone didn't already know that. Wake me up when you're getting married. And given how into each other they are, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

They're making plans for Spring Break - Key West, as in the trip they won. Maybe they'll go down with friends, but the thought is that they want a romantic getaway. Key West during Spring Break is an interesting choice, but they are students, they are extremely busy, and they did win a trip to Key West. So if anything, I think they're just doing it for their own sanity. In that case, enjoy.

That money from Circuit City, though? They haven't spent it. I half expected to see Elena get a new plasma-screen TV and Alex get some new gadgets - they got nothing. The cards are sitting in drawers near their desks completely unused. And it's not for a lack of interest, either; Alex talks all the time about the gadgets he wants, and the lame excuse he gives for not spending the money has to do with taxes. I think someone's blackmailing them or something, and they're doing a really amateur job of it. Come on. Keeping them from spending $5,000 in Circuit City money? Yet they get their prize money, whatever that amounts to, and they get to go to Key West? Maybe they won, and they can't actually keep their prize money; I don't know. All I know is that it's high time for Alex and Elena to go on a shopping spree. Especially if they're looking at outfitting an apartment together next year.

That and maybe I can swing something cool and electronic from them. Hey, a man can dream. And if you need further proof that I'm not a communist, I like my electronic toys too much.

Back from commercial.

Caroline (sharply): Don't look away from me, you son of a bitch!

Bobby continues to ignore Caroline.

Caroline: I got really upset with Bobby at the Detour. I just saw the side of him I don't like, and all this after seeing the side of him I do like.

Bobby: I got frustrated. There's no other explanation.

Caroline: Well, I hate when you're frustrated.

Bobby: So do I, Caroline. So do I.

Cut to Ride It; Bobby and Caroline are nearing the edge of the course. Bobby appears less frustrated.

Caroline: Aren't you glad I talked you into sticking around?

Bobby: That still took f------ forever.

Caroline: You just need to learn to work with your horse.

Bobby: I don't speak horse.

Caroline: Neither do I. But my horse worked with me.

Bobby: Go on; make me jealous.

Soon, they arrive at the clue box; Caroline opens the clue.

Caroline: Drive yourselves back to Maputo and find Jardim Tunturu Botanical Gardens.

Cut to Carrie and Dana, currently in third place, in their car; Dana is driving, and Carrie has her eyes closed in the back seat and is sipping Gatorade.

Dana: You holding up OK, Carrie?

Carrie: Yeah. Trying to take it easy. Thanks for driving.

Dana: Thanks for not driving.

Carrie: Gladly.

Dana: How far are we?

Carrie: We've been out here for about two hours, I feel like. We should be about halfway there.

Dana: How far do we have to go? It's a little over 400 kilometers, however many miles that is. I'm doing about 90 kilometers per hour.

Carrie: So I should get comfortable is what you're telling me.

(confessional) Carrie: All I wanted to do the whole way back to Maputo was sleep. I'm glad Dana has energy, because I barely had enough in me to keep drinking my Gatorade. I'm glad I don't have anything worse, but being hypoglycemic sucks.

Cut to Maputo; Alex and Elena, currently in first place, are scouring the area looking for the Botanical Gardens. Elena is driving.

Alex: Stay on this street. According to the map, we're almost there.

Elena: According to the map, we're probably in Egypt. That thing is useless.

Alex: OK, so it misled us once.

Elena: Once was enough.

Alex: We're in first. And there it is.

Elena suddenly turns, pulling into Jardim Tunturu. Soon, they dash out of their car and get to the clue.

Elena: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love?

Cut to Phil inside the garden by a set of tennis courts.

Phil: In this Roadblock, the chosen player must search the grounds for the tennis courts and challenge one of the local pros to a match. All the contestant must do is score one point to receive their next clue. There are only two courts available, however, and a contestant who fails four times in a row must step to the back of the line.

Cut to Alex and Elena.

Alex: I can do this.

Alex takes off with Elena close behind looking for the tennis courts; inside the grounds are numerous lush plants and flowers.

Soon, he arrives at the tennis court and picks up a racket; the pro, a tall, lanky man who appears to be local, signals to Alex, who signals back.

The pro serves, and it blows past Alex, who is flabbergasted.

Alex: Tennis is not my sport. I'll just put it that way.

Elena: Hey, I did rugby. You can do tennis.

Alex: Of course I can do it. It doesn't mean I'm any good.

Cut to outside the grounds; Charlie and Derek, currently in second place have arrived.

Derek: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love? I got this.

Charlie: Hey, I can give love, too.

Derek: It's my girlfriend's birthday. I'm in charge of the love today.

Derek opens the clue further.

Derek: Oh, it's tennis. Well, I can still do that.

Charlie: Glad you picked it instead of me.

Cut to the tennis courts; a frustrated Alex has just been aced again, and another pro, who looks similar to the pro facing Alex, lines up to face Derek.

Derek receives the serve and knocks it back over the net.

The pro rushes the net and returns Derek's return; Derek reaches out and taps the ball back over the net.

The pro spikes the ball over the net, but it goes high in the air; Derek watches the arc of the ball and swats it back at the pro, who is unable to return the hit.

Derek shouts and pumps his fist as the pro rushes over to hand him the clue.

Derek hands it to Charlie to open.

Charlie: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO--

Cut to Phil in front of the statue of Eduardo Mondlane.

Phil: Teams must figure out that the statue is of Eduardo Mondlane, the first president of FRELIMO, an organization that was instrumental in Mozambique's independence. This is the seventh Pit Stop in the Race. The last team to check in here may be eliminated.

Cut to Charlie and Derek, currently in first place.

Derek: I have no idea who that is, but someone around here must.

Derek: I got insanely lucky in acquiring all this sudden tennis talent. If I were at all spiritual, I'd say Danni helped me out, but really, crazy things just happen.

Charlie: You know, son, most people would credit God.

Derek: If there's a God watching over me, I'm happy with Him getting me on the Race. I doubt it really matters to Him how I do; I'm just happy with the opportunity.

Cut to outside the grounds, where Spike and Jennifer, currently in third place, are arriving.

Carrie: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love? I'll do it.

Dana: Go for it.

Inside the courts, Alex still has not scored; Carrie arrives, and the pro who played Derek lines up to serve her.

A dogged Alex receives a serve from the pro; he knocks the ball to just over the net with all his strength.

It lands just one the pro's side and falls to the ground.

Alex falls to his knees in exhaustion; the pro hands him the clue and returns to his spot. Alex promptly hands the clue to Elena.

Elena: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Alex (out of breath): Let's...go.

Cut to outside the grounds; Spike and Jennifer, currently in fourth place, are arriving.

Spike: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love? You got this one?

Jennifer: Sure.

Cut to the courts; Carrie has not yet scored, and Jennifer has started.

Outside the grounds, Hayley and Alexis have arrived.

Alexis: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love? Your turn.

On the courts, Jennifer has just received a serve and was able to return it; the pro swats the ball back at her, and it is just out of her reach.

Jennifer: Damnit.

(confessional) Jennifer: Since we arrived second, if I didn't get a point in four tries, I would have to let Hayley go next while Carrie got another shot. Unless someone else arrived, and then I would have to wait on them, too.

Cut back to the courts; Jennifer gives up another ace.

Jennifer (under her breath): I need this one.

The other pro serves to Carrie, who is able to return it for the first time. However, the pro returns her shot, and she has to dive; the ball is volleyed, and it lands just over the net. The pro is unable to return it.

Carrie stands up and dusts herself off, flipping the racket to Hayley and handing the clue to Dana.

Dana: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Hayley takes her spot across from the pro; immediately, the pro aces his first serve.

Hayley (to herself): This is harder than it looks.

Cut to outside the gardens; Jeffrey and Bryan, currently in sixth place, arrive.

Jeffrey: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love?

Bryan: You did awesome on the horses. Go for it.

Bryan: We're actually getting along for the first time in the Race. We're usually fine at home, but there's just something about this show that makes us snap.

Jeffrey: I started to come into my own, and I didn't make Bryan do all the Roadblocks. I think we'll be tough to stop now.

Cut to the courts; neither Jennifer nor Hayley has scored, and Jeffrey waits patiently behind Hayley.

Jennifer returns a weak serve and approaches the net; the pro shoots back, but Jennifer blocks it. The rally continues for about twenty seconds.

Finally, Jennifer grabs the racket with both hands and swings it like a baseball bat, firing the ball past the pro and scoring a point.

She pumps her fist and runs to grab the clue, which Spike takes.

Spike: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Jeffrey takes Jennifer's place, and before Spike and Jennifer leave, they see the pro fire an ace past Jeffrey.

Spike (to Jennifer): Good luck. She's going to need it.

Cut to outside the gardens; Reggie and Dan are arriving, and Tina and Jim are close behind.

Reggie: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some love? I'll get this one.

Arriving next are Tina and Jim.

Jim: Roadblock. Who's ready to give some lone? Neither of us.

Tina: It's probably about finding a flower. I have a pretty good sense of smell; I'll do it.

Inside the gardens, Reggie and Tina are waiting to play while Hayley and Jeffrey are struggling.

Hayley returns a serve, but is brought down by a quick return of her shot, which is out of her reach.

Team confessional, Hayley and Alexis.

Hayley: I couldn't get a good handle on the Roadblock. I say that girls can do anything, and they can, but that doesn't make it easy.

Alexis: I've never played tennis, so I was glad it wasn't me doing it.

Cut to the courts; Hayley returns a serve by the pro, and the pro dives and cannot reach it.

After dusting himself off, the pro hands Hayley the clue; she hands it to Alexis and high-fives her.

Alexis: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Taking her place is Reggie; at the same time, a shot whizzes past Jeffrey, who hits herself in the head with the racket in frustration.

Tina runs up to grab the racket; Jeffrey gives it to her and storms off.

Jeffrey: Damnit. I can't do anything f------ right. I should have let him do it. I should have let him f------ do it.

05-19-08, 12:07 PM (EST)
4. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 7 - "Pretend You're In Scotland Again""
Blog Entry, 10/23/2008
Authored by: Danni Boatwright, tonganoxiegirl

Wow. What can I say about the game Derek's playing? A lot, really, most of which boils down to, "He and his dad are doing great." But that's not what's on my mind. There's a lot more weighing on me with Derek.

I thought at first that it wasn't a big deal that Derek would be on the Race when it was my birthday; I told him he could do something for me when he got back. And I didn't mind; Paula took me out to dinner, and I got to spend the day hanging out with the Kansas City Chiefs. I just wish I had the same effect on them than I do on Derek - the Chiefs were losing last season, and that coupled with our constant fighting about me going on Survivor was why Casey and I broke up before the show.

So that's why I'm glad Derek opened this season with a bang; up in Minnesota for the Ice Breakers invitational, he scored two goals and rang more than a few bells, and this past weekend against Bowling Green, he got two more goals and four assists. His teammates joked with him that I would end up being his personal Jessica Simpson - ask my father about her effect on Tony Romo some time if you want to listen to a long, drawn-out rant. It's not like that, though - Derek credits his pre-game ritual. I'll let you use your imagination as to what that is.

I think it's just that he's happy. Frankly, he's a little too into me sometimes, and while I enjoy being treated like a princess, having him cook for me, and listening to him flatter me constantly, I just hope he doesn't turn all stalker if it doesn't work out. It's one thing when Rob, his friend and roommate, comes home with a different girl every night and bugs Derek about why he doesn't do the same; Derek's response was simply that he'd rather have a real woman. It's another to be as coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs as he is about me. I love it; don't get me wrong. But he's very over-the-top about it. His license plate reads "MY DANNI" for crying out loud. It's a far cry from listening to that song "Crazy Bitch" every time Rob's phone rings.

Also, another thing I noticed in this past episode - he's just not that spiritual. I'm a religious person, and Derek pretty much can't be talked into church. I saw some of that in this past episode, when he said something to the effect of "if there is a God." I'm open to the idea that I am completely wrong about God, but it's hard to count on just what you know without something beyond that, or at least it is for me. I just wonder, though, in that case, why is he so attached to that Star of David necklace he says he got at the college fair? Who does he know that's Jewish? I admit I like it, just like I like the beard he grew, but it still takes some getting used to.

What I can't get used to, though, is somehow feeling like the Race did a leg in Baghdad or 1960s Vietnam, judging by the way Derek's been having nightmares. He woke me up in the middle of the night Saturday and demanded that I hide under the table because "it was out only hope." He proceeded to toss his chair out of the way of his desk and duck underneath it for dear life; he didn't comprehend that I didn't fit underneath there with him, let alone that there was nothing to worry about. I ended up crashing on the couch for the rest of the night, and the next morning, I woke up and cried. I know it's not his fault. But I don't know what's going on, and he won't tell me. I assume he's not allowed to.

Derek, please tell me. I understand. No matter what those tabloids say, I love you.

Back from commercial.

Jeffrey: I should have let him do it. I should have let him f------ do it.

Jeffrey: I'm not a natural athlete. I've never played tennis, but I felt like I should have done the Roadblock.

Bryan: She did a lot better than I ever would have guessed.

Jeffrey: That didn't help much, though.

Cut to Reggie and Tina playing; Jim approaches Dan.

Jim (to Dan): I'm so glad I didn't do this.

Dan: Me too. Bad back.

Jim: I'd be here all day with that damn knee.

Dan: Are we last?

Jim: Hope not.

A quick pan to Tina shows that she and her pro are in a rally; Tina returns a hard hit by the pro, who lobs one up over her head.

Tina leaps as high as she can, reaching at least two feet above her head.

Her racket touches the ball and knocks it down, and it lands just beyond the net.

The pro tries to return it and fails, diving into the net; he dusts himself off and grabs the clue for Tina, who gives it to Jim.

Jim: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Tina: It helps to be tall and have long arms.

Jeffrey takes her spot again, trying not to show frustration.

Cut to Charlie and Derek, currently in first place, in a cab; Derek is talking to the driver.

Derek: Quem era o primeiro presidente de FRELIMO? (Subtitle: Who was the first president of FRELIMO?}

Driver: Eduardo Mondlane.

Derek: Nós necessitamos começar a uma estátua dele. (Surbtitle: We need to get to a statue of him.)

Driver: Eu far-lhe-ei exame da direita lá. Não é distante. (Subtitle: I'll take you right there. It's not far.)

Cut to the statue of Eduardo Mondlane; a cab is pulling up beside it, and Phil is standing there with an official-looking native.

Both Charlie and Derek pay the driver and take their spots on the mat.

Greeter: Welcome to Maputo.

Phil: Charlie and Derek...

He pauses and smiles a little bit.

Phil: ...you're team number ONE!

Charlie wraps his arms around Derek in joy as Phil looks on.

Phil: Now I have some good news. As the winners of this leg of the Race, you have won a seven-night trip to Alaska courtesy of Travelocity.

Charlie high-fives Derek; Derek, however, appears unaffected.

Phil: Derek, you don't look so good. Is everything OK?

Derek: This has been a tough leg. Today's Danni's birthday.

Charlie: I told him he should get her a present.

Phil: Well, it looks like he just did.

Charlie: I think so.

Cut to the heart of Maputo; Alex and Elena, currently in second place, are searching frantically and trying to navigate. Elena is looking in a Portuguese-English dictionary.

Elena: I'm not used to being in a situation where I don't speak the language. Trying to learn Portuguese on the fly is tricky.

Alex: I wonder if we got the only cab driver in Maputo who doesn't speak English.

Elena: I doubt it. But Michigan has a leg up on us for a change.

Cut to Carrie and Dana, currently in third place, and Spike and Jennifer, currently in fourth place; neither seems to have any idea where they are going.

Spike: Pull off here. We need to ask something.

Jennifer: Who the hell is the first president of FRELIMO?

Driver: FRELIMO? Did you say FRELIMO?

Jennifer: Yes; why?

Driver: What about it?

Jennifer: Who was the first president?

Driver: Eduardo Mondlane.

Jennifer: We need to get to his statue.

Driver: Well, why didn't you say so?

Jennifer: Because I don't speak Portuguese and I didn't know how to ask.

Cut to the statue; a cab pulls out in front of it.

Springing from the cab are Spike and Jennifer; Jennifer pays the driver, and the two grab their bags.

Both take their spots on the mat.

Phil: Spike and Jennifer...you're team number two!

The two embrace and kiss on the lips; Jennifer cracks a wide grin.

Cut to just outside the statue; two cabs pull up.

Out of one, Alex and Elena emerge; out of the other, Carrie and Dana emerge.

First to arrive at the mat are Alex and Elena.

Phil: Alex and Elena...you're team number three!

Elena kisses Alex and the two continue to smile and hold hands. Immediately, Carrie and Dana arrive.

Phil: Carrie and Dana...you're team number four!

Dana wraps Carrie up, and the two squeal joyously.

Phil: Carrie, how are you holding up?

Carrie: Very well. I had a breakdown on the way back here, but Dana came through. She's a life-saver.

Cut to the gardens; both Reggie and Jeffrey are struggling and both appear to be out of breath. However, the pros are noticeably tired as well.

One of the pros delivers a weak serve to Jeffrey, who is able to return it; in his exhausted state, he hits it out of bounds.

Jeffrey, also exhausted, takes the clue from the pro, who then returns to drink some water and rest. Bryan takes the clue.

Bryan: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Cut to the Pit Stop; a cab approaches, and the two to exit the cab are Hayley and Alexis. Alexis pays the driver, and they grab their bags and take their places.

Phil: Hayley and Alexis...you're team number five!

The two exchange a double-high-five and squeal in joy.

A few minutes later, another cab arrives; this one is carrying Tina and Jim. Jim hobbles out as Tina pays the driver, carefully avoiding contact with him.

The two take their spots.

Phil: Tine and Jim...you're team number six!

Jim is still wincing in pain.

Phil: Jim, are you going to make it?

Jim: I don't have much choice, do I?

Cut to the gardens; Reggie manages to return a serve from a dogged pro, and the pro is unable to return Reggie's shot.

The other pro hands Reggie the clue, and he turns it over to Dan.

Dan: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Cut to the Pit Stop; a cab arrives, and Jeffrey and Bryan get out, grabbing their bags and taking their places. They only remember to pay their cab driver after he yells at them.

Phil: Jeffrey and Bryan...you're team number seven!

Bryan picks up Jeffrey and holds her above his head; she appears shocked but happy.

Cut to Reggie and Dan's cab; Dan has a map in front of him.

Dan: So you're telling me that the statue we want is of Eduardo Mondlane?

Driver: It's the most well-known statue in the city.

Dan: So do you know how to get there?

Driver: I will take you there.

Cut to Reggie and Dan arriving; they pay the cab driver, grab their things, and take their place.

Phil: Reggie and Dan...

He gives a sullen look.

Phil: ...you're team number eight!

The two exchange a chest-bump and snort like pigs.

Phil: You are both still in the Race. How does it feel to come so close and still be alive?

Reggie: This is tough. But we're hanging in there, and we're glad we're not last.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline, currently in last place, on the way from Zavora to Maputo; Caroline appears frustrated, and Bobby is asleep.

Caroline (to herself): I should have known that the good Bobby would go away sooner or later.

(confessional) Caroline: Sometimes I feel like I carry the team, and this is one of those cases. I need Bobby, but I feel like he isn't always there.

Cut to them arriving at the Roadblock; Bobby appears exhausted.

Caroline: I need to do one.

Caroline dashes into the gardens, where a pro is ready for her; this is a different pro from earlier.

Caroline: I felt like we were at that Roadblock forever. I can't play tennis. I can't do sports.

Bobby: I just should have done it, but I didn't know what it was.

Cut to Caroline in a brief rally against the pro; the pro hits a ball at her, and she returns it past the pro.

Caroline takes the clue.

Caroline: Travel to the Pit Stop, the statue of the first president of FRELIMO.

Cut to the cab arriving at the statue; it is pitch-dark and lit only by street lights.

Greeter: Welcome to Maputo.

Caroline: Thank you.

Phil: Bobby and Caroline...you are the last team to arrive.

Caroline gives a hopeless expression; Bobby looks on indifferently.

Phil: I'm...pleased to tell you, however, that this is another of three pre-determined non-elimination point, and you are still in the Race.

Caroline appears to be happier; even Bobby cracks a smile.

Phil: However, you will have to go through another Toll Booth. In addition, the penalties from the Toll Booth will be stiffer. You are over two hours out of eighth place. This will be a very difficult leg for you guys.

Bobby: I didn't do well this leg. I got into a situation I couldn't handle, and I choked. It's my fault.

Caroline: Well, we'll get out of it. We're a team, and I will do whatever I can to help.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline at the mat; both are standing fairly straight.

The credits begin to roll.

Phil (voice-over): Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode.

Blog Entry, 10/23/2008
Authored by: Phil Keoghan

Africa always seems to affect teams differently. From Kendra's bad-mouthing of the locals in Senegal to Kynt and Vyxsin's warm reception in Burkina Faso, this part of the world brings out people as they are in a truly unique environment. And yes, a lot of Africa is impoverished, but a lot of it is very culturally rich and unique.

Jeffrey nearly had a breakdown on the way from Maputo to Zavora. She explained later that she lashed out in anger and has even tried to explain that she is not a racist person. She was just upset about being in those surroundings, as if someone was trying to make her feel guilty for being well-off and married to a businessman. One of her continued rants was that they put Spike, who was very open about having been homeless before and about losing her father, on as a contrast to her and as a personal affront to her and Bryan, and that sending them to Africa was "running up the score."

Really, the reason we cast Spike was because she was so unique, right down to her name. And just like Kynt and Vyxsin, she wasn't judged for her tattoos, piercings, or unusual hairstyle. I even keep a picture of a little African girl giving Spike a hug; you should have seen the look on both their faces. Of course, even as touched as she was by the whole scene, she told her cameraman never to expect another photo-op like that.

Also, I would wish Derek's girlfriend a happy birthday here, but it's three months late, and we called her from Mozambique to wish her a happy birthday courtesy of Charlie and Derek. I've seen couples on this Race, but never someone who is as in love with someone they left behind as Derek is with Danni. He begged her to go on the show with him. He pleaded, and actually, I did the same, but she outsmarted us and sent Charlie in her place. It worked out for them; Derek tells me he and Danni are still very much in love.

I haven't heard anything definite about one thing, though - something crazy happened on the Race. Something that's never been seen before and changed the lives of several people. I can't say what or even where or when, but it's the kind of thing that no amount of planning could account for. We heard more revelations and pouring out of souls in one leg than most people hear in their entire lives, not counting the movies.

I was floored. I was absolutely flabbergasted. And I thought I'd seen it all. I know never to say that.

Back from commercial.

Phil (voice-over): On the next episode of the Amazing Race...Bobby and Caroline have their work cut out for them.

Bobby: So if we don't finish first, we're f-----.

Caroline: Yeah, pretty much.

Phil (voice-over): Derek puts his game face back on.

Derek: Another first-place finish, and Danni's got a Christmas present, too.

Phil (voice-over): And Spike makes a startling confession.

Spike (crying): I'm s-so sorry I h-hurt you, Jen.

Voice-over: Stay tuned for an all-new CSI: Miami coming up next.

Order of finish:

1. Charlie and Derek, 6:01 pm
2. Spike and Jennifer, 6:19 pm
3. Alex and Elena, 6:24 pm
4. Carrie and Dana, 6:25 pm
5. Hayley and Alexis, 6:51 pm
6. Tina and Jim, 6:59 pm
7. Jeffrey and Bryan, 7:22 pm
8. Reggie and Dan, 7:37 pm
9. Bobby and Caroline, 9:51 pm

Bobby and Caroline were spared elimination by virtue of this being a non-elimination leg.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •