The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 4 - "I Didn't Say It Like It Was a Bad Thing!""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Colonel Zoidberg 3370 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-07-08, 10:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 4 - "I Didn't Say It Like It Was a Bad Thing!""
Blog Entry, 09/27/2008
Authored by: Dr. Rage

I'd say that this season is shaping up to be a two-horse race, but it's more like three horses...maybe four...five, I guess...six if the Hogettes can hang in there...and if Jim's knee would stop bugging him, seven. Even Team Cockroach is looking a lot tougher than previously anticipated.

Yes, Bobby and Caroline are officially the team that won't die. They should be out in the practice leg...but it's a practice leg and no one goes home. Cue Alexis punching a wall. They should be out in Antarctica...but Debra and Bob are old and slow and switched Detour options, effectively U-Turning themselves (which is officially legal for the first time in show history, even if it makes zero strategic sense...unless you've made enemies, you know you won't finish first, and you know you won't finish last. And even then...not so much.)

Then they should have been out in Rio...but Big Brother just had to go for a Fast Forward that the Ravers already got. D'oh. And here's our big opportunity to heave-ho Colorado because they finally finished in last place...and damned if it wasn't non-elimination.

I did get a little insider information on the Toll Booth this season - it's the first time they've decided to punish teams worse for being spared multiple times in a non-elimination. Previously, you lose all your money every time. Then you lose all your money every time and your possessions once. The first time was worse than the others. After that came the 30-minute penalty. After that came the Speed Bump - same type of task every time.

The Toll Booth is a lot like the marking, and since there are three non-eliminations, there are three possible punishments. The first time a team is spared, e.g. this time, it has to pay $50 to proceed and take a 30-minute penalty at the Pit Stop. The time penalty is waived if they finish in first or second place, and if they don't have $50, they're idiots, and they have to pay everything they have and lose that much out of their next stipend.

Next time a team finishes last in a non-elim? The cash penalty is up to $100 and the time penalty is 60 minutes. Averting the time penalty takes a first-place finish; second isn't good enough anymore. And if Bobby and Caroline set an Amazing Race record by being spared three times? Another $100 comes out of their coffer, and they get a two-hour penalty at the Pit Stop no matter where they finish.

So in other words, if this leg has a Fast Forward, Colorado is pretty much obligated to use it. There's no way in hell they're making up a four-hour time difference, plunking down $50, and getting into eleventh place with a 30-minute penalty without it, especially the way they've been racing. If there's no Fast Forward, they can pretty much write their tickets to Sequesterville right now, and the teams who arrived ahead of them can both groan and sigh in relief that at least they won't win.

One more little detail about this season's new rules - apparently, the penalty for begging is pretty standard. Thirty minutes at the pit stop plus three minutes per U.S. dollar received. So if teams beg for local currency that doesn't amount to nearly one dollar, it's more beneficial than begging in, say, London, where one pound is about two dollars. So somehow begging off of rich folks ends up being punished worse than begging off poor folks. Ah, the unintended consequences of Race rules.

Also, was I the only one who would have given Jim a free pass for punching Jeffrey in the teeth? I know there are rules against physical violence, and I know the old adage of "never hit a lady," but first off, the audience would cheer at seeing that racist, miserable bee-yotch knocked on her backside, and second off, Jeffrey doesn't fit any definition of the word "lady" that I'm aware of. I'll say it first - Jeffrey winning this season would be worse than Flo winning season three. It might even be difficult to muster up a token, "Well, at least Bryan deserved it," considering you know Bryan's going right back to work and Jeffrey's blowing that dough.

And as much as I set out to hate Jim for being with that angelic beauty Tina, I'm really starting to respect him for pushing through the pain. I'm also noticing what they say about their relationship - they haven't so much as touched each other on camera since the season started. It really doesn't make sense. Come on, Jim; you're with Tina, for crying out loud, and you don't even hold her hand? What the hell is wrong with you?

I hope this blog doesn't have too many misspellings; I'm still partially blind from seeing Spike's striptease last week. That is all.

The Show Begins - air date 10/1/2008

The introductory show is of the beaches of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with a focus on a bustling area of Ipanema Beach. The teams started this leg from a more barren area of beach.

Phil (voice-over): Previously on the Amazing Race...twelve team of two set out from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and traveled to Edinburgh, Scotland.

Cut to Hayley and Alexis, first to depart.

Hayley: Fly to Edinburgh, Scotland.

Phil (voice-over): Teams were faced with a new twist to the U-Turn, in which they played it at the beginning of the leg. The first few teams declined to use it.

Alexis: We choose not to use the U-Turn.

Carrie: We choose not to use the U-Turn.

Charlie: We choose not to use the U-Turn.

Jennifer: We choose not to use the U-Turn.

Phil (voice-over): Jeffrey and Bryan, however, decided that now was the time to U-Turn last-place Bobby and Caroline.

Bryan: We choose to U-Turn Bobby and Caroline.

Team confessional, Jeffrey and Bryan.

Bryan: We decided to use the U-Turn on Bobby and Caroline because it guaranteed that we would still be in it. We can finally sink Bobby and Caroline.

Phil (voice-over): While they waited to buy tickets, some bad blood spilled between Derek and Bryan.

Bryan: There's nothing wrong with backing a winner.

Derek (using his hands to make a point): I suppose you're one of those jerks that writes to the newspaper and calls into the radio shows and demands that your team fire the coach after a one-point loss, too.

Bryan: Why the hell should I support someone who's terrible? Why?

Phil (voice-over): By pure accident, Reggie was dragged into their fight over sports allegiance, but he tried to maintain his distance.

(confessional) Reggie: I happen to think Derek's right; your team is your team, and you don't leave them without a really good reason to, but come on. We're in the middle of a race for a million dollars, and those two are bickering over hockey?

Phil (voice-over): While Jeffrey and Tina got into it in line at the ticket counter.

Tina (shouting back): I know I was here first! Get behind me and wait your turn!

Jeffrey: No! You get behind me! That's where your kind belongs anyway - back of the line with you, half-breed n--

Tina cuts her off.

Tina: Don't even think about saying the next word, you do-nothing piece of s---.

Phil (voice-over): An angry Jim had to be restrained from harming Jeffrey.

Cut to Tina, Dan, and Spike holding back Jim while Charlie stands between them.

Charlie: Don't do this, Jim. Being arrested and thrown out of the Race isn't worth a useless assh--- like her.

Phil (voice-over): Charlie cultivated a friendship with Bryan, but he kept his game face on.

Charlie: I put up with someone as bad as her for twelve years; I understand. You just need to keep some control over her out here. Put a lid on her, let her vent, and play your own game.

Bryan: That's what I try to do. She's really volatile.

Charlie: I've noticed. But I hate to see you out because of your wife.

(confessional) Charlie: In the back of my mind, when I told Bryan that I hated to see him out because of his wife, I didn't add the words, "Until crunch time," although I was definitely thinking them.

Phil (voice-over): The bad blood continued to spill in Edinburgh, where Spike and Jennifer snapped at each other.

Spike: Bastards.

Jennifer: Well, maybe if you didn't dress like a skinhead, we might get a cab now and then.

Spike: Real original, Jennifer. Real f------ original. What's next? Metalmouth? What other brain-busting insults do you have?

Jennifer (shouting): Oh right, because you know exactly what you're doing getting this cab. Why don't we just take a bus? You can't make decisions! You suck at everything!

Spike (shouting back): That's real nice to tell the only reason we're still in it, princess!

Jennifer: The only reason? What, you don't count me steering us to Antarctica in third place, bitch?

Spike: While I had to do everything else? Wow. You did one f------ thing.

Phil (voice-over): Jim said that his knee was feeling better, though Tina doubted him.

Tina: Traverse the Royal Mile. How's your knee?

Jim: Better every day.

Tina: Are you just saying that?

Jim: Whatever gets us to the finish faster.

Phil (voice-over): Alex tried to make up for bothering Elena.

Team confessional, Alex and Elena.

Elena: I wasn't happy with Alex. He wasn't nice, and he wasn't cooperative.

Alex: I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

Elena: Well, you succeeded. Can't you do anything else without trying?

Phil (voice-over): At the Detour, Reggie and Dan found making haggis to be a challenge.

Team confessional, Reggie and Dan.

Reggie: For me, anything more complicated than a hamburger isn't in my recipe book. We were only here because it was better than carrying potatoes.

Dan: I've been single my whole life and had to cook for myself, but never anything like haggis. It's a little like a gross Thanksgiving turkey.

Phil (voice-over): While Spike was upset at the locals for what she perceived as prejudice against her.

(confessional) Spike: I've gotten a lot of rude looks here in Scotland; I think it's just for the way I look. A lot of superficial people just turn their noses up at me. I get it some back home, but never like this.

Phil (voice-over): At the other option, Charlie struggled.

Team confessional, Charlie and Derek.

Charlie: I thought my left hand was healed and that I wouldn't have any trouble with the potatoes, but I did. I just can't get three fingers around the handles and hold on. It just wasn't happening.

Derek: I ended up having to run ahead and carry Dad's in for him.

Phil (voice-over): While Ray and Jamal struggled to find their delivery driver.

Ray: We've been over this place I-don't-know-how-many times, and we found nothing.

Jamal: Well, maybe if you looked with your eyes open--

Ray: Don't pin this on me, Jamal! It's always my damn fault you can't be bothered to do anything! Shut the hell up and go find the damn truck!

Jamal: Go f--- yourself. Give me the form and I'll have it found in ten minutes. Go get a beer or something. It's all you're f------ good for.

Phil (voice-over): After finishing the Detour, Caroline praised Bobby's newfound work ethic.

Caroline: Good job, Bobby! You can do this! Maybe you need to get a job as a truck driver or a mover when we're out of here!

Phil (voice-over): But her joy was short-lived, as they discovered that Jeffrey and Bryan had U-Turned them.

Caroline: Not cool. Just not cool.

Bobby: We're coming after Jeffrey and Bryan. They're gone.

Phil (voice-over): Seeing Jamal's frustration, Carrie and Dana pointed him in the right direction.

Carrie: Your lorry is right down that way. Look right before the intersection.

Jamal: You're a life-saver.

Team confessional, Carrie and Dana.

Carrie: We decided to help Biloxi out because they helped us, and we want to keep that alliance up. Jamal's a nice kid, and I think he's our ticket to going farther.

Dana: Besides, I noticed Colorado got U-Turned, so I didn't feel like helping them hurt us.

Phil (voice-over): At the Roadblock, Derek took the chance to show off his wild side.

Charlie: You're the loony one.

Derek (enthusiastically): All right!

Derek immediately tears his shirt off, kicks off his sneakers, and drops his jeans, and he runs hollering and waving his arms in the air in just his boxers to the table to put on some fancy clothing. He picks out a purple tuxedo with a black top hat and shoes.

Charlie (under his breath): Wait till the girls see this.

Pan to Derek, who does a cannonball into the Firth of Forth, causing water to splash everywhere and some to hit Charlie.

Phil (voice-over): And Hayley got the chance to admire a naked Derek.

Hayley: Hey...uh, we don't all have to get naked, do we?

Charlie: No, but it helps.

Hayley: Hey, don't go asking for any free shows.

Charlie: Well, Derek's giving you one.

Hayley: Good point.

Hayley focuses her gaze on Derek, who puts his jeans on without his boxers, stuffing them in a pocket.

Charlie: So I see you're not above a free show.

Hayley: It's not my fault your son's hot.

Charlie: I'm not sure how to answer this.

Phil (voice-over): Despite being behind after the Roadblock, Jeffrey and Bryan came in first.

Cut to Phil in front of Jeffrey and Bryan at the Pit Stop.

Phil: ...you're team number ONE!

Phil (voice-over): After coming in third, Hayley admitted an attraction to Derek, and Alexis disapproved.

Phil: You just came within a couple of minutes of beating one of the toughest teams this show has ever seen again. Do you think you can overtake them?

Alexis: Derek might have a great body, but he's no match for us.

Phil: So is there a little bit of attraction here?

Hayley: OK, I'll say it. Derek's a very handsome guy with a nice personality.

Alexis (scolding): And a nice girlfriend to go with that body.

Hayley: Well, tell him to lose the zero and come to the hero.

Alexis rolls her eyes.

Phil (voice-over): At the New Bridge Inn, Steve and Darius were frustrated looking for a clue.

Darius: Where the f--- is my clue?

Darius smacks his open hand on the wall.

Phil (voice-over): While Ray and Jamal found a clue on a stroke of pure luck.

Jamal: I'm out of ideas. Why don't you just pound the wall like Rooster-boy did?

Ray: That's a f------ great idea. Maybe then I'll go dig in that jar of pickled eggs!

Jamal: Well, maybe I should do just that!

Jamal opens the jar of pickled eggs and reaches his hand in as Ray sternly looks on. About ten seconds later, he slowly comes up with an envelope in a plastic protective seal.

Ray stands with his jaw agape as Jamal removes the clue from the seal and opens it.

Jamal: Drive yourselves to South Queensferry. I suppose you want me to drive.

Ray still stands in astonishment.

Jamal: Ray? Ray, you in there?

Phil (voice-over): Spike struggled with the Roadblock when it was revealed that she doesn't know how to swim.

Cut to Spike unhooking the clue from the buoy; she seems to struggle a bit in the water, splashing it in her face a lot, but she gets out of the Firth of Forth reasonably well.

Jennifer (under her breath): Oh right; she can't swim.

(confessional) Spike: I thought I was going to die out there. I have this big, heavy dress weighing me down, and I haven't worn a dress since I was 13 anyway, and besides that, I can't swim. But I had to do it, so I just bucked up and tried my hardest.

Phil (voice-over): But after she got out, it didn't stop her from flirting.

Dana: I hope you don't mind if I watch.

Spike: Eat your heart out, gorgeous.

Jennifer rolls her eyes and sighs as Spike winks at Dana.

Spike: What? If you can check out Derek, I can flirt with Dana.

Phil (voice-over): But Jennifer's frustration with Spike's outrageous behavior caused her to cut it short.

Cut to Spike finally putting on her tank top; Jennifer drags her away while Spike holds an opened clue.

Jennifer: Come on now; we have a race to run. The bimbos will be there at the Pit Stop. You can show them all your piercings and tattoos there.

Spike (shouting): Come naked and bring candy!

Phil (voice-over): In distant last, Bobby and Caroline found their clue at the New Bridge Inn in an unusual way.

Bobby: Hey, we've looked over every inch of this place, and there's no clue. What gives?

Bartender (in a Scottish accent): Glad you noticed.

The bartender reaches under the bar and hands them a clue.

Bartender: You're the last team. All you have to do is ask for your clue.

Bobby grabs his face and pulls down in frustration.

Team confessional, Bobby and Caroline.

Bobby: We must have spent all day in that pub, and all we had to do was ask the bartender for a clue. I wanted to throw something.

Phil (voice-over): And while Bobby did the Roadblock...

Bobby: Roadblock. I'll do it.

Bobby dons some fancy clothing, a pink tuxedo left untouched by previous teams, and dives in without undressing. He grabs the clue fairly quickly and returns to shore and leaves the tuxedo behind, crumpled up on the ground.

Caroline grabs the clue and reads it.

Caroline: Travel by Jet Ski to the next Pit Stop.

Phil (voice-over): ...it wasn't enough to keep the team out of last place.

Phil: You are the last team to arrive.

Phil (voice-over): However, they were spared elimination, but with a strong warning.

Phil: I should remind you that you are behind the other teams by over four hours and are off the lead by over five hours. You have a lot of catching up to do.

Phil (voice-over): Twelve teams remain. Who will be eliminated next?

The opening credits begin to roll. At first, a Mercator projection of the world in black, green, and yellow, with the Amazing Race logo superimposed over it cuts to a view of an airplane flying above a layer of clouds. The phrase "14 teams of 2" appears on screen. The first team shown on screen is Leilani and Kea against an island backdrop. The credits continue to Carrie and Dana outside a college building, Hayley and Alexis in front of a row of prison cells, Reggie and Dan outside FedEx Field, Bobby and Caroline in front of their Colorado home, Ray and Jamal in front of a panoramic shot of the Gulf of Mexico, Tina and Jim on a football field sideline with a medical pod in the backdrop, Debra and Bob on a hilly road with their bikes, Alex and Elena on a college green, Jeffrey and Bryan in front of a construction site, Spike and Jennifer outside Seattle's City Hall, and Steve and Darius on a chicken ranch. In this ending, Eric and Jessica appear outside Jessica's home in Kansas, and Charlie and Derek appear on a hockey rink.

The screen cuts to commercial.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 04-07-08 1
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 04-07-08 2
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 04-07-08 3
 The Amazing Race: Expedition Episod... Colonel Zoidberg 04-07-08 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

04-07-08, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 4 - "I Didn't Say It Like It Was a Bad Thing!""
Interview - Bobby and Caroline

The camera shows the two sitting in chairs that are higher off the ground than normal with a dark blue background. Caroline is sitting up straight and looking directly at the camera; Bobby is slouching and glancing in all directions.

Caroline stands at above-average height, has jet-black hair that appears to curl at the ends, and is wearing make-up, a black blouse, and black slacks. She has a lean figure and is not smiling as the interview starts.

Bobby is only a inch taller than Caroline, has black hair that he wears in an apparent mop-top, and has on a baggy Nautica sweatshirt and jeans to go with a backward baseball cap with a small Denver Nuggets insignia.

Caroline: The chance to go on the Amazing Race is a bit more for me than just needing a vacation and trying to take the next step with Bobby. Sure, I don't get a lot of time off, and what time off I do get is usually spent in bed with some horrible head cold or out trying to solve some family crisis, but it's not about that. The Race is every bit as hard as any job I've ever done.

Bobby: I know how hard Caroline works, and hopefully I can make it clear to some people that I belong in Hollywood--

Caroline: Just give it up, Bobby, OK? Find yourself a real job and get over this dream of being an actor.

Bobby: Not on camera, OK? Back off, please!

Caroline: No! I'm starting to think you just want to be a stay-at-home husband and do nothing while I make the bucks and let you live in the neighborhood you always dreamed of. I have dreams, too, Bobby. Not all of my dreams involve long days followed by having to come home and cook for you and do your laundry.

Bobby: You have no idea what it's like to be in a tough spot like mine, Caroline! All you care about is making money and having a spit-clean house. All I want is a little company at home.

Caroline: Well, someone has to pay the bills around here, and you're sure as hell not doing it!

The camera flashes to a later scene.

Caroline: That's what it's like for us, though - it's almost as if a fight breaks out any time the subject of work is brought up.

Bobby: Maybe by going on the Race together, we'll learn where each other's coming from. I know Caroline wants help at home and with bills and everything, but I want help, too, and it's hard to be with someone who doesn't believe in me.

Caroline: It's not a question of whether or not I believe in you. I believe in you, Bobby. I just don't believe in your ridiculous desire to be an actor--

Bobby: This is what I get all the time. All day every day, you do nothing but belittle my dream.

Caroline: When was the last time you got any work? Hmm?

Bobby: I did that commercial--

Caroline: That was years ago, Bobby. When was the last time you even lifted a finger at home?

Bobby: Just shut up already! I can't get anything as an actor because you come along and crush anything I might have! I tell you I have something lined up, and you don't even care!

Caroline: When did that ever happen? You just want me to be the bad guy so you don't have to do anything and you can blame me for it!

Bobby: You don't get it - I want to work! I want to bring in money!

Caroline: So go get a job, Bobby!

Bobby: I did! I got us here, didn't I?

Caroline: I sound like I'm hard on Bobby, but I love him to death and I want to make this work. I know he's tried and tried to be an actor in the past, and he's frustrated and almost given up on himself. He just needs to realize his other talents, though. I'm not saying I want him at some crummy job for forty hours a week, or that I want him to be my house servant; I just want him to do something.

Bobby: It's this kind of event that I feel at home in, though. I can do this sort of thing. I've watched the Amazing Race since the first episode, and I see people climbing buildings and pole-vaulting over ditches full of animal s-ahem, poop, and I know I can do that. I can do it a lot better than some of the people did.

Caroline: That confident Bobby is the man I fell in love with. The frustrated, out-of-work Bobby is a reality I want to get rid of. And if it works out acting, great, or if it works out teaching potential actors of doing commercial jingles - I don't know. Just as long as it works out for Bobby.

Bobby: It will work out here, too. I have it all figured out.

Caroline: I hope you're right.

Bobby: When have I ever been wrong?

Caroline just looks at the camera, having nothing to say.

Interview - Steve and Darius

The camera shows the players on dark wooden chairs with curved backs and arms; the chair backs do not reach their necks. The curtain in the background is a bold chicken-colored red-brown.

Steve is about six feet tall and has a well-trimmed full beard; his hair and beard are dark brown and short. He has on a red button-down shirt, dark-blue jeans, and a white cowboy hat. He has on a pair of white sneakers and is sitting up straight looking at the camera; he is smiling and appears at ease.

Darius is slightly above average height and has dark-brown hair that is somewhat shaggy and unkempt; however, he is completely clean-shaven and dressed in a gray button-down and charcoal-color slacks. He is slouched somewhat in his chair and is not smiling; he appears to be looking at the camera with a measure of disdain.

Steve: Darius and I were best friends growing up; we did just about everything together. But within the last few years, it's been difficult. I left our hometown and turned control of the restaurant over to him, and we didn't speak for a year or so.

Darius: When your best friend basically turns around and becomes a completely different person, leaves town, and still pockets money from the restaurant that you manage, it's not an easy pill to swallow.

Steve: Well, it is my restaurant, and I did hire you as the manager.

Darius: I do all the work. I run the numbers every night, I hire and fire employees, and I have to be there for quality control. It's not an easy job.

Steve: It wasn't when I ran it, either.

Darius: The restaurant is open only for breakfast, and I feel like I'm there for sixteen hours a day.

Steve: There's a lot that goes into it, but you have to learn to have a home life at some point.

Darius: When I got hired on as the manager, you just told me, "It's all yours," and left town. What the hell was up with that?

Steve: I groomed you to manage for years before that.

Darius: And I told you all along that I wanted to go to college. But no, I just had to manage that restaurant. This is why I didn't talk to you for a year. I was upset because I didn't have any personal time, and you were making more money off the restaurant for writing books in Canada than I was for working long hours.

Steve: I'll try to do better, I guess. What else can I promise?

Steve: The restaurant I opened is a breakfast establishment in a little town in South Dakota called Hitchcock. Hitchcock is about 10 miles east of Pierre. I called the restaurant the Red Rooster, and that's how I got my nickname.

Darius: Apparently, he named it that because roosters are red, which I guess they are, and because somehow roosters are associated with the morning and dawn and stuff. So I guess it makes sense.

Steve: People started asking me if I was the "Red Rooster," and since I wore a lot of red, the nickname just turned into "Rooster."

Darius: I started calling him Rooster as a joke in high school, and it stuck; besides, it's perfect out here. If we run into another team with a father in it, I'll confuse the hell out of both teams calling out, "Dad!" But if I call out for Rooster, I doubt there's anybody else in the game with that name. Besides, he does wear a lot of red.

Steve: There's nothing wrong with that. You ought to try it.

Darius: I suppose I should grow a beard, too. I don't want people to start calling me Little Rooster, you know. What does that make me, a Chick? That just doesn't work for me.

Darius: One of the points of contention between myself and my father is the way we both handled my mother's death.

Steve: Darius thought I was disrespecting his mother's memory when I told him I was gay; really, the whole reason it didn't come out before was that I didn't think my wife needed to be burdened with that in her final days, so I waited until after her death to come out. It's no different from waiting until her death if I wanted to date other women; it just so happens I was dating men.

Darius: There's that, and the fact that I can't exactly escape that sort of thing in rural South Dakota. I have a wife and son, and I get idiots that still brand me as gay because of him coming out.

Steve: That's their problem, and you can't let people get on your case like that.

Darius: What am I going to do? Throw people out who gay-bash? I count on every penny I can get; without that restaurant, I basically have nothing.

Steve: People are stupid and look for excuses to bash other people. If it weren't for this, it would be for something else.

Darius: Like what?

Steve: Like what church you go to or what school you send your son to. And no matter what you pick, you get idiots.

Darius: Well, it's a little hard to tell that when every angry letter I get has some nasty words for me about being gay, which I'm not.

Steve: You're also not gay in the sense of being happy. You should be; you have a great wife and a fantastic son. Relax and enjoy life.

Darius: Is that how you want to handle the Race?

Steve: Exactly. We just do whatever we can. Let the Race come to us and handle it one obstacle at a time.

Darius: Glad you have this all figured out. I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Darius appears less frustrated as Steve tries to talk to him and the camera fades to a close.

Back from commercial.

Cut to an overview of a lush small Scottish village with a lake and an island-based castle in the background; the castle is Loch Leven Castle, where teams arrived at the end of the previous leg.

Phil (voice-over): This...is South Queensferry, Scotland. A town on the edge of a lake, this centuries-old village was the third Pit Stop in a race around the world.

Cut to several teams arriving at Loch Leven Castle.

Phil (voice-over): Teams arrived here for a mandatory rest period, having no idea what's in store for them. Jeffrey and Bryan, who were the first to arrive--

Cut to Jeffrey and Bryan at a clue box near the Jubilee Clock Tower.

Phil (voice-over): ...will depart at 10:04 am.

Jeffrey takes the clue and opens it.

Jeffrey: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales--

Cut to Phil standing in front of city hall in Cardiff, Wales.

Phil: Teams must now travel over 400 miles by Rail Europe to Cardiff, Wales. Once here, they must come to the clock tower of City Hall, where they will find their next clue.

Cut back to Jeffrey and Bryan.

Jeffrey: You have $45 for this leg of the Race.

Bryan: Which might buy lunch here.

Cut to Charlie and Derek, second to depart at 10:05 am.

Derek: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Charlie: How much money do we have?

Derek: Forty-five dollars.

Charlie: There isn't one of those damn U-Turns in there, is there?

Derek: Nope. Let's go.

Cut to Hayley and Alexis, third to depart at 10:09 am.

Alexis: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Hayley: Wouldn't it be faster just to fly?

Alexis: They say to take a train.

Hayley: Well, OK, whatever.

Cut to Reggie and Dan, fourth to depart at 10:25 am.

Reggie: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Dan: What? No snappy remark?

Cut to Alex and Elena, fifth to depart at 10:26 am.

Elena: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales. I hope we keep our advantage.

Alex: Or it's non-elimination.

Elena: Also good.

Cut to Spike and Jennifer, sixth to depart at 10:31 am. Spike has dyed her hair bright purple; it's still buzzed.

Jennifer: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Spike: And hope the locals are nicer.

Team confessional, Spike and Jennifer.

Spike: In Scotland, I got a lot of rude comments and weird looks based on my appearance. I've never been anything but nice to people, so it's a little hard to swallow.

Jennifer: I've been hard on Spike about dressing in punk garb, but so far it hasn't been too detrimental. Besides, I like the new hair color. Next time, try green.

Spike: I'll keep that in mind.

Cut to Tina and Jim, seventh to depart at 10:39 am.

Tina: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales. I have to ask, how's your knee?

Jim: It's doing the job.

Team confessional, Tina and Jim.

Jim: This is the first that I really haven't had any knee pain. I slept for a good twelve hours, and I woke up feeling like a million bucks.

Tina: Hopefully I don't have to nag Jim about taking it easy.

Jim: Because you know I won't do it.

Cut to Carrie and Dana, eighth to depart at 10:40 am.

Dana: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Carrie: Forty-five dollars. Just enough for dessert.

Cut to Steve and Darius, ninth to depart at 11:01 am.

Darius: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales. Damn. I can't sleep on trains.

Cut to Leilani and Kea, tenth to depart at 11:08 am.

Kea: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Leilani: I've never been on a train before.

Kea: It's like a plain, only slower and bumpier.

Leilani: I see.

Cut to Ray and Jamal, eleventh to depart at 11:09 am.

Jamal: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Ray (singing, tune of "Last Train to Clarksville"): Take the last train to Cardiff--

Jamal: This isn't American Idol, Ray, and if it were, you would have been laughed out by now.

Ray: Yeah, yeah.

Cut to Edinburgh Station; Jeffrey and Bryan have arrived, along with Charlie and Derek, Hayley and Alexis, Reggie and Dan, and Alex and Elena. Jeffrey and Bryan are first to buy tickets.

Bryan: We need to get to Cardiff, Wales as soon as possible.

Agent: You will leave at 5:03 pm, change trains at York and Manchester Picc, and arrive in Cardiff at 1:14 am tomorrow morning.

Bryan: Wow. Nothing faster?

Agent: This is all we have going to Cardiff.

Bryan: When we got to the train station, we found out that there's only one way to Cardiff by train, and everyone was getting on it.

Jeffrey: Even those jerks we U-Turned in the last leg had a chance to get on this train.

Cut to Spike and Jennifer, currently in sixth place, buying tickets; their tickets are shown to be identical to the ones Jeffrey and Bryan bought.

Cut to tickets being printed for Tina and Jim, Carrie and Dana, Steve and Darius, Leilani and Kea, and Ray and Jamal; only last-place Bobby and Caroline have yet to arrive.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline, last to depart at 3:18 pm.

Caroline: Take a train to Cardiff, Wales.

Bobby: We have no time. Let's go.

Bobby: We were over four hours behind the other teams, so making up every second was important.

Caroline: We got ourselves to the train station quickly, and we were lucky that there were still seats available. We were even luckier that the other teams were on the same train.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline boarding the train to York; as they board, Hayley and Alexis are shown groaning.

Cut to a car near the front containing Jeffrey and Bryan, Spike and Jennifer, Ray and Jamal, and Carrie and Dana. Ray is just waking up from a nap while Jamal is chatting with Dana.

Jamal: Thanks a lot for helping us out the last time.

Dana: No problem. Thanks for the flight to Rio.

Jamal: It cost us big time, but I'd do it again.

Dana: You're a nice guy, Jamal. Ray's daughter is a lucky girl.

Jamal: I like to think so. But Ray thinks I'm flirting with you and Carrie.

Dana: Well, of course Ray thinks Jamal's flirting with us. He is.

Carrie: And we're lapping it up and throwing them a bone here and there to keep it coming.

Cut back to the train.

Jamal: I was just having some fun and trying to make friends.

Dana: It's cool, Jamal. You don't have to explain.

Jamal: I didn't know when I was acting like that...you know, that you had a boyfriend.

Dana: What? Boyfriend?

Jamal: I just noticed the promise ring.

Dana: I don't have a boyfriend.

Jamal: So you just wear that to scare off guys?

Dana chuckles as Jamal gives a confused look.

Dana: No, no. You don't understand. I don't have a boyfriend. I have a girlfriend.

Jamal: Uhh...lots of girls have friends they call "girlfriends." I don't get it.

Dana: I'm a lesbian, Jamal. I date other women.

Jamal shakes his head quickly in obvious confusion. Dana sits back and smiles.

Jamal: I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude, but I've never met anyone who does that.

Dana: I hear about it all the time, where someone goes through their entire life and never meets a gay person, but it's still weird when you meet someone who's like that.

Carrie: I realize he must be from some small town, but still...how sheltered does he have to be?

Cut back to the train. Carrie has woken up and is listening; Ray is just waking up.

Jamal: So, I'm confused. Are you and Carrie--

Dana: In a relationship? No.

Jamal: Carrie, you date women, though?

Carrie: No, no, no. I'm straight. I actually have a boyfriend. Here, let me show you a picture.

Jamal's eyes are still a bit glazed over in confusion; Carrie and Dana are giggling while Ray looks on.

Carrie shows Ray and Jamal a picture of herself with her boyfriend.

Ray: Wait a minute. He's--

Carrie cuts him off, smiling and speaking softly.

Carrie: I know. Younger than me.

Cut back to the picture; noticeably, in addition to looking younger, Rex, Carrie's boyfriend, is a few inches shorter than Carrie. Rex is also pale-white, thin, and has short blond hair, while Carrie is black, voluptuous, and has wild, curly dark hair.

Ray: I'm sorry; I know I shouldn't gawk or anything. But I've never seen a mixed-race couple.

Carrie: When Ray said he had never seen an interracial couple, you could have knocked me over with a light breeze. Did he just go to bed in 1956 and wake up today?

Dana: It's like we have Biloxi's version of Leave It to Beaver, where no one dates people of other races, and "gay" still means happy.

Cut to the train, where Carrie is laughing while holding the wallet containing the picture of herself with her boyfriend.

Ray (defensively): I didn't say it like it was a bad thing!

Carrie (still laughing): I know. I know. You're just so damn funny.

Team confessional, Ray and Jamal.

Ray: I guess Jamal and I are quite the pair after all. No one I works with is married outside their race, and no one in my neighborhood is. It wasn't really a question for me of, "Don't ever do it," and Carrie dating a white guy doesn't change my opinion of her, but it's just not something that's ever done.

Jamal: I saw it when I was in college. Not a whole lot, but I did see it. But no girls ever dated other girls.

Ray: No girls ever dated other girls that I knew, either.

Jamal: No kidding. No wonder it's so hard for a guy to find a nice lady; all the good ones are dating each other. At least I found Taylor.

Ray: Good save.

Cut to the train.

Jamal: So I'm still confused. Dana, you go out on dates with other girls like they're guys?

Dana (blushing): Yeah, I guess you could put it that way. I'm in a relationship right now.

Ray: I guess I have to ask, do your parents know?

Dana: Yes. I told them once I met Tasha.

Carrie: But she told me before that.

Jamal: I see how it is; you tried to get with an older woman.

Ray, Carrie, and Dana crack up at Jamal's comment.

Pan to Jeffrey, who's a few rows back; Bryan is laughing at the conversation while Jeffrey is filling with rage. She gets up and walks over to the two teams who are laughing.

Jeffrey (sternly): Will you people shut up? I'm trying to sleep. I don't need to hear about all the disgusting things you people do at home.

Carrie (sharply): I have an idea. Why don't you go to another car? Or jump off the train and take a f------ pack mule to Cardiff and leave us the f--- alone?

Jeffrey: I don't have to listen to that from some sick woman who can't get a date among her own kind and has to resort to stealing ours.

Carrie (shouting): There's only one "kind" where I come from. Just because I know what love is and you don't doesn't mean you have to go making everyone else as miserable as you are. Now sit down, shut up, and get the f--- on.

Ray, Jamal, Dana, and Spike all applaud Carrie's speech as Jeffrey throws her arms in the air and returns to her seat sulking. Bryan whispers something to her, but she jerks away from him and hisses back.

(confessional) Jeffrey: I don't agree with that woman's lifestyle. I teach my children not to talk to blacks or people that aren't like them, and if I ever catch them dating one, I'll disown them.

Cut to the train, where Spike and Jennifer have joined Ray, Jamal, Carrie, and Dana. The six of them are telling stories and giggling like school kids.

Carrie: So Jen, how long have you and Spike been together?

Jennifer: We're not. We broke up six months ago.

Dana: I never would have guessed you were gay.

Jennifer: I never would have, either. I'm floored that you're gay.

Spike: I knew.

Dana cracks up and slaps Spike's thigh in laughter.

Dana: I have to ask, Spike, what's with the look?

(confessional) Spike: Dana was really cool about the whole punk rock thing; she seemed really interested in all the skulls, the purple hair, and the boots.

Cut to the train.

Dana: So you're not a Goth. Everyone always calls you guys the Goths.

Spike: I'm not a Goth. I just look really different. I dress like this because I enjoy it. Besides, it's how I got my nickname.

Dana: Because of all the metal and the spiked collar and everything? Because I always thought Spike was a guy's name.

Spike: Yeah, that's what I thought when they gave me that name, but it stuck, and I love it.

Spike: When I started hanging out at the bar I manage now, I was just a shy girl who had turned 21 a week ago. I had no friends, no family, and nowhere to go. I was accepted by the people there, and they were all punk rockers, so they gave me a punk makeover. It helps that I've always been interested in music.

Jennifer: And here I am, the uptight girl who works for the mayor and wouldn't touch the punk scene with a ten-foot pole, and we ended up being a couple.

Spike: Jennifer has never gotten along with any of my friends, and she's never liked the fact that I'm a wannabe musician.

Jennifer: I think music is a fine hobby, but making it a career is pretty dumb.

Spike: Whatever you say, dream-crusher.

Cut back to the train; it's dark out, and the train is arriving at Cardiff Central Station at 1:15 am. First off the train are Spike and Jennifer, currently in first place. Ray and Jamal, currently in second place, and Carrie and Dana, currently in third place, are right behind.

Jennifer: We need to find the clock tower at City Hall.

Spike: I just hope we don't actually have to do anything and can just continue on. Waiting sucks.

Jennifer approaches a local to ask directions.

Jennifer: Excuse me. Do you know how to get to City Hall from here?

Local: Yes, yes.

Pan back from Jennifer and the local talking, Spike, Ray, Jamal, Carrie, and Dana stand in awe.

Dana: On the train, I think we sucked in Spike and Jennifer to our alliance. Jennifer's really good with the locals, and Spike's a strong player, so I think it's a good move.

Carrie: It's probably not good for us. Spike's always carrying around caffeine pills and candy and stuff, so it's not always the best thing. And I come to find out that she and Jamal are trying to give up smoking, so I hear all about that, too.

Dana: Relax, Carrie. Our worst addiction is cheesecake.

Cut to Jeffrey and Bryan, currently in sixth place, getting off the train.

Bryan: We need to find City Hall.

Jeffrey: I didn't get any sleep because of that stupid bitch and that ugly-ass Goth and her giggling lady-friend. Those people and their disgusting lifestyles.

Bryan: Will you give it a rest about those people? We'll beat them in the Race, where it counts.

Jeffrey (screaming): They're vile! Those girls that go around sleeping with other women instead of getting married and having children like they're f------ supposed to! And to think that woman had the nerve to show us all up and talk about how she's stealing white men from decent people! They're all sick!

Bryan starts to walk away, throwing his arms in the air.

Jeffrey (still screaming): Don't f------ walk away from me! I'm very upset and you don't give a f---! Go to hell, Bryan!

Bryan pulls on his hair in distress.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

04-07-08, 10:54 AM (EST)
2. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 4 - "I Didn't Say It Like It Was a Bad Thing!""
Blog Entry, 09/25/2008
Authored by: Rex Majors, stillaliveandkicking

Well, there you have it. My girlfriend is aligned with a couple of people who have never met anyone like her. Or her friend and teammate. And to be honest, when I met her two years ago, I had never met anyone like her, either.

All of the obvious superficial differences between us are true - yes, we are an interracial couple, I am ten years younger than her, and the most shocking thing of all is that she's actually taller than me. We met over an online dating service, and I thought for sure when she found out I was only 5'10", she would lose interest (she's 6'2" and her ex-husband is 6'5".)

But she was looking for someone who was different from her ex. And our relationship is about as far from traditional as you get - we moved in together not too long ago, right after my cancer went into remission. She makes the money, and she takes care of me; it was hard for me to get back into a job knowing that I could come down with leukemia again, but I at least have a job as a call center supervisor. It was basically what I could get. And with my medical bills as well as all the stuff her ex stuck her with, Carrie struggles to get by, even with what I make.

And even if that were enough and Carrie and I lived comfortably, we would still have to contend with the other half of my family. I swear, my family is like something out of a cheesy fantasy novel, where "one brother is good and the other is evil, and they must fight to the death atop the Accursed Mountain for control of all the lands of Camelot." It's not quite like that, but it did seem like my family split in two with my father and uncle.

My father's family ended up being the nice, pleasant, open-minded folks who didn't care who you were and where you came from as long as you weren't a jerk. I was brought up in that environment, and as my uncle will point out, I'm in a relationship with an older black woman, my sister's divorced, and my younger brother is gay. My uncle brought up his kids completely differently, and I have to hear all the time from them how "sinful" and "disgusting" I am for who I love.

Indeed, my uncle is a racist, and his oldest demon-spawn is a card-carrying member of the Aryan Brotherhood. All of them are supposedly happily married with good little Aryan children, while my dad has no grandchildren. My cousin even told me openly after this episode that he'll rejoice when Jeffrey and Bryan win the Amazing Race and Carrie goes home crying. Imagine rooting against your own cousin's beloved just because of something as stupid as "she's the wrong color."

And to think, I put up with it because the family is so close-knit otherwise. Even with the differences in ideology, we usually get along just fine. Most outsiders, including Carrie, don't understand it, and honestly, neither do I. But it works for us.

Interview - Ray and Jamal

The camera shows the two players sitting in wooden chairs with low backs; the background is gray, and the chairs are not particularly high off the ground. Neither chair has arms, and both have straight backs.

Ray is sitting at attention; he has on a black leather jacket with a black button-down underneath. His hair is short and well-groomed, and he is completely clean-shaven; some of his hair is showing gray. He appears very serious and authoritative.

Jamal is sitting back and wearing what appears to be a New Orleans Saints home jersey with a number 25 on it, the number of Reggie Bush. He has on baggy but pulled-up jeans and does not appear to have shaved in a few days. His head appears to have been shaved, though, and his face indicates relaxation and almost disinterest.

Ray: The relationship between me and Jamal is not a good one and really has never been good. I always pictured my daughter to be dating someone who was disciplined, made a decent living, and took better care of himself. On one hand, I have to respect her decisions, but on the other hand, I don't have to like them.

Jamal: For every young man, meeting your girlfriend's parents is one of the hardest things you will ever do.

Ray: And you showed up in baggy jeans with a cigarette in your mouth.

Jamal: I was in a hurry and under a lot of stress. I didn't have time to put anything nice on.

Ray: So normally, you dress like a heathen.

Jamal: If that's what you want to call it, then yes, I dress like a heathen, just like you dress like a damn pig.

Ray: Don't talk to me like that, young man.

Jamal: Then don't talk to me like that. I'm a grown adult just like you, and you need to start treating me with the same respect you expect from me.

Ray: I already do. I don't expect any.

Jamal: This is exactly how it's been since the day I came to meet Taylor's family. Taylor is my fiancée, and Ray is none too happy about that.

Ray: For someone who's as smart and gifted as you claim to be, you shouldn't be working at a casino.

Jamal: What the hell else could I do in a place where I had no money and no job opportunities?

Ray: You could have finished college.

Jamal: And if I get some money, I will, but until then, get the hell off my back.

Jamal: One of the biggest points of contention between myself and Ray is that I am a smoker. I've tried to cut back and even quit, but I always give up or end up doing something worse.

Ray: Not that much worse.

Jamal: You're right. I could have switched to crack or weed or meth or something. Usually, my crutch is alcohol.

Ray: And it caused you to hit my daughter.

Jamal: That's completely untrue and you know it. I didn't hit her. At least not on purpose, I didn't. I had no idea she was behind that door. Maybe I was careless, yes, but I was not abusive. The idea of hurting Taylor makes me sick.

Ray: But it's OK to harm my wife with secondhand smoke.

Jamal: No, it's not OK, now that you told me she's an asthmatic. I don't read minds, Ray. I don't know when I'm causing undue hardship.

Ray: You need to have better judgment. And discipline. I've looked up every specialist I know for quitting smoking, and you never try them.

Jamal: Of course I try them. I just never tell you.

Ray: Why would you do that?

Jamal: Because you put too damn much pressure on me.

Ray: Like my opinion ever mattered to you.

Jamal: It does when I'm under all that stress from quitting. As hard as they say it is to give up smoking, even a half pack a day, it's harder than that. I'm trying to go on the patch for the Race because I know I can't smoke there.

Ray: It might be good for you. You need to stay busy.

Ray: I'm a casual fan of the Amazing Race and I catch it when I can, and it was actually my daughter's idea for me to go on the show with Jamal. I'd like to think it was one of her better ideas, and we'll see how well it pans out.

Jamal: I was a little surprised she wanted me to go on the show with her father instead of her, but she told me the reason in private, and I understand.

Ray: My daughter is deathly afraid to fly, so she sent me.

Jamal: Just for the record, he spilled Taylor's secret, not me.

Ray smiles and even laughs a bit at Jamal's comment.

Ray: Jamal is very strong when it comes to tasks that take a lot of physical ability, and I've been very surprised at his ability to work with people. Things that require a lot of endurance, though, I think he needs to work on.

Jamal: I already have a plan for that. It's called asking Ray to handle it. Neither one of us can do this on our own. But if I think about it, there isn't anything one of us can't do.

Ray: I really hope that's enough.

Jamal: I really hope you're not riding my ass to the point where I can't even focus.

Ray: As long as you're doing well, that's all I care about. I'd tell you that putting in a good effort is all that matters, but in a game like this, I'd be lying.

Jamal: Just hold up your end of the bargain.

Ray: I'll do my best, and maybe, when this is all over, we might eve be friends.

Jamal: I don't know about that.

Ray puts his hands up in minor frustration as Jamal rolls his eyes and the scene closes.

Back from commercial.

Jeffrey (still screaming): Don't f------ walk away from me! I'm very upset and you don't give a f---! Go to hell, Bryan!

Bryan pulls on his hair in distress.

(confessional) Bryan: Jeffrey's attitude toward other races never really bothered me that much because we really don't come across too many people of different races together. But a lot of it stemmed from her senior year in high school, when her steady boyfriend broke up with her and started dating a black college woman a couple of months later. She always felt like he was stolen from her, and she's never trusted black folks since then.

Cut to City Hall; it is still dark and the streets are deserted. Spike and Jennifer, Ray and Jamal, and Carrie and Dana show up first.

Spike opens the first clue.

Spike: Travel to St. David's Centre--

Cut to Phil standing in front of St. David's Centre, a large shopping center in Cardiff.

Phil: Teams must now travel to St. David's Centre, a bustling shopping center in downtown Cardiff. At the main entrance, teams will receive their next clue.

Cut to City Hall. One the other side of the doors sits a sign that says Toll Booth; Bobby and Caroline's picture is on it.

Spike: Let's go.

Cut to Charlie and Derek, currently in fourth place, arriving at City Hall; the first three teams are gone.

Derek: Travel to St. David's Centre. It's a shopping mall.

Charlie: Perfect. More waiting around.

Behind Charlie and Derek are Hayley and Alexis, currently in fifth place.

Hayley: Travel to St. David's Centre.

Soon after Hayley and Alexis leave, Jeffrey and Bryan, currently in sixth place, arrive. Jeffrey is still visibly upset.

Bryan: Travel to St. David's Centre. It's a shopping complex.

Jeffrey: They better be 24-hour, because I'm not standing around waiting with a bunch of stupid n--

Bryan (angrily): Hey. Knock it off. The last time you shot that kind of language off, you and I almost ended up turned into road kill by an ex-football player. I don't want that, and neither do you.

Cut to Leilani and Kea, currently in seventh place, arriving at City Hall. Kea opens the clue.

Kea: Travel to St. David's Centre.

Leilani: I wonder what that is.

Kea: Says here it's a shopping center. All right, we're going shopping!

Leilani (unenthusiastically): Sounds like fun. Yay.

Cut to Reggie and Dan, currently in eighth place.

Reggie: Travel to St. David's Centre.

Behind them are Alex and Elena, currently in ninth place.

Elena: Travel to St. David's Centre.

Alex: After the train, everyone was really close together, so we had to count on whatever the Toll Booth was in order to keep us out of last.

Elena: It was a while before we got any sort of chance to gain an advantage. It was like a lull in the Race, where we all just stuck with the other teams. It was like starting over, only the last-place team actually got penalized.

Cut to Tina and Jim, currently in tenth place, arriving at the clue; Steve and Darius, currently in eleventh place, come up on their heels.

Tina: Travel to St. David's Centre.

Darius: Go to the main entrance.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline, currently in last place, arriving at the clue box exhausted. Caroline looks lover at the Toll Booth, which has their picture.

Caroline: Toll Booth? What the hell is a Toll Booth?

Cut to Phil standing in front of the Toll Booth; it is daylight where Phil is.

Phil: The Toll Booth is the newest twist to the Amazing Race. Having arrived at the Pit Stop in last place in the previous leg, Bobby and Caroline were spared elimination. However, in order to proceed, they must deposit $50 American in an envelope and leave it as a toll. Also, if they do not finish in the top two in this leg, they will incur a 30-minute penalty at the Pit Stop.

Caroline walks over and takes out a note that was written for them.

Caroline (from the note): Welcome to the Toll Booth. This is your penalty for finishing in last place in the last leg. In order to proceed, place fifty American dollars in the envelope and put the envelope in the box where this note was found.

Bobby and Caroline pool their money and put in $50, sealing the envelope and continuing on.

Caroline (continuing): From this point, if you do not finish in first or second place in this leg, you will incur a 30-minute penalty at the Pit Stop. Consider yourselves marked for elimination.

Bobby: No sweat.

Cut to St. David's Centre; Bobby and Caroline, currently in last place, arrive at the main gate, where the other teams are waiting. Noticeably absent, however, are Reggie and Dan, Steve and Darius, and Tina and Jim.

As the shopping center opens, the nine teams that are there arrive and rush for the clue; Reggie and Dan, currently in tenth place, run up to the entrance behind everyone else.

Pan to Ray and Jamal, currently in first place.

Ray: Detour. Dressed Up or Dressed Down?

Cut to Phil inside the shopping center; there are people walking by behind him, but the hallway he is in is empty.

Phil: In this Detour, teams must choose between searching for two distinct styles of clothing at two very different types of shops. Their choices? Dressed Up and Dressed Down.

Cut to Debenhams, a British department store, of which there is one in St. David Centre.

Phil (voice-over): In Dressed Up, teams must search through Debenhams, a well-known department store in the United Kingdom, for eight articles of clothing. These articles of clothing will make up a man's outfit and a woman's outfit. Once they have enough clothing to dress up two people, the clerk will hand them their next clue. The task is basic, but searching for eight articles of clothing out of thousands may take a long time.

Cut to T Shirt Print in another part of the center.

Phil (voice-over): In Dressed Down, teams must find a shop called T Shirt Print, where they will design four t-shirts using the spray paint tools and stencils common to t-shirt sprayers. Two of the designs will be for every team to make; the other two will be of comparable complexity and will be unique to their own teams. Once they have printed all four shirts to match the pre-determined designs, the clerk will hand them their next clue. This task takes a lot of skill, but teams that are good with paint may finish quickly.

Cut to Ray and Jamal deciding.

Ray: How are you with art?

Jamal: I do OK. It beats searching. Let's do Dressed Down.

Cut to Bobby and Caroline opening the Clue and immediately thumbing through the envelopes, finding a Fast Forward.

Caroline: Fast Forward. Let's do it.

Cut to Phil at Cardiff Barrage.

Phil: In this Fast Forward, a team must come here to Cardiff Barrage and grab a catamaran, throw it into the water, dive in, and use it to reach a buoy that is 500 yards off shore. The catamaran is tricky, and teamwork is essential. However, on the buoy is the prized Fast Forward. Upon retrieving this, the team that gets it can skip all remaining tasks and go directly to the Pit Stop.

Cut to Dressed Down; several stations are set up, and the teams that have arrived are Ray and Jamal, Spike and Jennifer, Carrie and Dana, Charlie and Derek, Hayley and Alexis, Alex and Elena, Leilani and Kea, and Reggie and Dan.

Cut to a hotel, where Tina and Jim are finally waking up; in another room, Steve and Darius are still asleep.

Tina: Jim! We overslept! Damnit, I knew we shouldn't have gotten a hotel room.

Jim comes to, but he's still a bit unresponsive. Tina gets up in his face and starts shouting.

Tina: Jim! We need to be at the shopping center! We're late and we're in last!

Tina: We overslept. We thought we had the alarm set, but I guess I don't know anything about setting Welsh alarm clocks.

Jim: I was exhausted. Even if the alarm had gone off, I would probably have been dead to the world, and we wouldn't get anywhere. I go on no sleep a lot, but when I crash, I completely crash.

Cut to St. David's Centre, where Tina and Jim are arriving in eleventh place.

Tina: Detour. Dressed Up or Dressed Down.

Jim: Dressed Down. We're not running around the damn mall looking for things.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Jeffrey and Bryan are the only team attempting this option.

Bryan: Says here that the articles we need will have little tags inside them.

Jeffrey: You look for the men's clothes. I'll look for the women's.

Bryan: I don't know anything about women's clothing. I need your help there.

Bryan: Here we were, the only team that attempted the option with the nice clothes, and we had to find things that were specific to the card we got. The men's suit was this charcoal color, the shirt was blue, and the tie was red.

Jeffrey: At the same time, I needed a black dress, matching heels, and stockings. For once, my outfit was the simple one.

Cut to Dressed Down, where nine teams are working on pre-show designs. One is a Mercator projection of the world similar to the one used by the show; the other is a U.S. passport cover. Some teams are done with the first design; Jamal, Spike, Elena, and Leilani are standing aside after finishing the designs while their partners work on the passport shirts. Carrie, Derek, Alexis, Dan, and Tina are still drawing their shirts' designs.

Dan's looks particularly sloppy, as if he is ignoring the stencil; it looks nothing like a Mercator projection, instead appearing to be a random jumbling of islands.

On the second shirt, Jennifer and Alex are in the lead, sticking carefully with the stenciled designs; the blue background is very well-designed.

Spike (over Jennifer's shoulder): Hey, I didn't know you were artistic.

Jennifer (somewhat distracted): It's all your fault.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Jeffrey and Bryan have a suit and a shirt but nothing else.

Jeffrey: This is so much harder than it looks.

Bryan looks around and finds a table full of ties. Several of them are red, as is the one he needs to find.

Bryan: The one we need has a tag on the back.

Bryan immediately tears into the ties, turning a previously well-organized and color-coordinated table of ties into a mess. He flings ties everywhere, looking for the red one with a tag on it.

Finally, he clutches the right one in his hands and rushes off to find socks.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Spike is now working on a team-specific design while Alex, Ray, and Kea are almost finished with their passport designs, while Dana, Charlie, and Hayley are started on theirs. Dan has tossed aside a shirt that had his previous work and started over; he appears to have done a better job this time.

Spike's design is of a drum set; she has the outlines of the drums finished, but none of the shading or shadowing is done. Spike has her tongue partially out and is almost lost in her work; Jennifer stands idly, tapping her foot.

Jennifer (to herself): So that's what they pick. The f------ drums.

Alex finishes up his shirt and hangs it on the rack to begin drying; Elena steps in and takes her design, which is of a rack of books with what appears to be Cyrillic characters.

Behind him, Kea finishes up the passport design, handing off to Leilani, whose design appears to be a female figure hula dancing.

Ray, Charlie, and Dan are almost finished with their passport designs. They all appear to work methodically while Spike, Elena, and Leilani appear to be making quick work of their own designs; Spike appears to be the most focused.

Spike: I've always been a creative person. I love music, and I was always the kid who sat in science class and drew instead of studying.

Jennifer: So for once in my life, the fact that I can't paint and am not artsy at all comes back to haunt me, but all that art that Spike was into when we were together must have rubbed off on me, because I did all right.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Spike is finishing up her design; at this point, Dana stops working on her passport, and Carrie jumps in and starts working. At first glance, her design appears to be a teacher's desk. Soon after, Charlie and Ray and off to Derek and Jamal; Derek takes his design, which appears to be an ice hockey player, while Jamal appears to have a blackjack table.

Alexis has handed off to Hayley, who is halfway through the passport design; Tina has stepped back, and Jim has taken over making the passport design. Dan is carefully designing the Mercator projection and is almost finished.

Dan (to himself): I can't draw worth a damn.

Dan: I had a lot of trouble with the map of the world on that shirt; the first time, I messed up big, so the second time, I just took it slow and hoped that someone else took forever.

Reggie: I'm not artistic, either, but I get by. I can at least work with stencils.

Cut to the main entrance to St. David's Centre. Steve and Darius have arrived and are opening their clue.

Steve: Detour. Dressed Up or Dressed Down?

Darius: Dressed Up.

Steve: Can you find things in a clothing store?

Darius: Look at who I married. I had to learn.

Cut to Cardiff Barrage, where a catamaran is waiting at the site of the Fast Forward. In the distance, a buoy is waiting with a clue attached.

Bobby: So just throw it in, jump in, and grab the clue. Hang on a sec.

Bobby tears his shirt off and undoes his belt, removing his shoes at the same time. He grabs the catamaran and tosses it in the water himself; Caroline throws in the paddles.

Caroline: You'll look for any excuse to strip to your underwear.

Bobby dives into the water feet-first; Caroline follows in a head-first fashion. After some splashing around and difficulty grabbing the catamaran, both Bobby and Caroline climb in one at a time.

Bobby: One, two, three, push!

On "push," both Bobby and Caroline paddle the catamaran; Bobby paddles on his left and Caroline on her right. The catamaran wobbles, but the two maintain their balance and continue to row.

Bobby: That catamaran must have been weighted with something, because it shook all over the place and hardly seemed to move. Five hundred yards seemed like an eternity, where we probably would have gotten there faster if we just started swimming.

Caroline: It's a good thing Bobby works out; that extra muscle really came in handy, because I just don't have the physical strength.

Cut to the buoy, where Bobby and Caroline are fast approaching. Caroline is gasping for air; Bobby is pushing forward with all his strength.

They appear to be gasping for air as they reach the buoy; their first couple of attempts to grab the clue are weak and feeble, and neither of them succeeds. The out-of-breath duo laughs weakly at their failure and finally grabs the clue, which Caroline opens.

Caroline (still catching her breath): Congratulations! You have won the Fast Forward. Travel directly to the Pit Stop, St. David's Hall--

Cut to Phil on the Cardiff University campus.

Phil: Having won the Fast Forward, Bobby and Caroline can now skip all remaining tasks and proceed directly to the Pit Stop, St. David's Hall at Cardiff University. This quarter-century-old performing arts venue is the fourth Pit Stop in the Amazing Race.
Cut back to Bobby and Caroline, who are now rejuvenated.

Bobby: OK, let's go.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Steve and Darius have arrived and are looking for the women's outfit first; Steve has found the dress and is carefully looking for the shoes.

Bryan arrives, looking for shoes; he has found all five men's articles, the dress, and the stockings.

Bryan: Lemme guess. Looking for something to wear tonight?

Steve: Lemme guess. Stayed up all night thinking of that one?

Darius: Ouch.

Team confessional, Steve and Darius.

Steve: Ever since I came out, I've faced a lot of stupid comments like Bryan's, and I've seen worse. He was probably trying to be clever and just failed.

Darius: We both have developed a pretty thick skin, so things like that don't really bother us, but we don't have any trouble putting someone like Bryan in his place.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Jeffrey has just located the necessary pair of shoes.

Jeffrey: I got it.

Bryan: Let's go.

Jeffrey and Bryan rush to find the clerk; they hurriedly set down everything on the counter as if shopping for the holidays, and the clerk patiently tallies their order, checking for tags.

The clerk smiles and hands them their clue, which Bryan opens.

Bryan: Travel to the Cardiff Athletic Stadium--

Cut to Phil on an open rugby field, on which several young men are practicing rugby.

Phil: Teams must now make their way to the Cardiff University campus and find Cardiff Athletic Stadium. Once there, they must reach the game field, where they will find their next clue.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Jennifer is almost finished with her design, which looks like a mayor's badge; noticeably, Spike's design is on a tank top, and she is already wearing it. Standing and waiting next to her is Carrie, who is finished working; Dana is almost done with her design, a judge's desk.

Carrie: That's really good. You ever consider becoming an artist?

Spike: You should see all the stuff I painted before I met Jen. But no, my true love is music.

Carrie: And I bet Jen doesn't like that, either.

Spike: Not at all. She says it's not a real job.

Carrie: Don't let her get you down. If you're as good at music as you are at painting, then you're as good as gold.

Spike (smiling): Thanks, Carrie.

Almost simultaneously, Jennifer and Dana finish with their designs; the clerk inspects them both, including the design on Spike's shirt. He smiles at Spike as he hands her the clue.

Clerk: And may I have your number, gorgeous?

Spike: You're so sweet. But you're not my type.

The clerk grins as he hands a clue to Carrie. Jennifer and Dana gather as Spike and Carrie open the clues.

Spike: Travel to Cardiff Athletic Stadium.

Dana: Times like these I wish I wasn't so chubby.

Spike: Times like these I wish I'd quit smoking.

The two teams depart the store; at the same time, Charlie and Ray are working on their own designs. Charlie's is a Navy insignia, and Ray's is a police officer behind a desk.

Ray (to himself): I'm no desk jockey.

Jamal (to Ray): No, but you're more artistic than you let me believe.

Charlie pins down the last of his design stencils with his left hand; due to his missing fingers, he is having some trouble, but he doesn't lose anything, and he finishes while Ray is still working.

The clerk looks over his work as well as Derek's design, which is almost identical to the picture he was given; the clerk hands Charlie the next clue.

Charlie: Travel to Cardiff Athletic Stadium.

Panning back over the Racers, it is shown that Kea, Ray, and Alex are almost finished with their designs; Kea's design is a limousine while Alex's is a robot.

Alexis is working on her design, a police officer's badge; Tina is working on a female pediatrician design, while Reggie has just finished the passport and handed off to Dan, whose design is that of a Hogette.

Dan: This time for sure.

Immediately, Dan drops his stencil and sprays gold paint all over the shirt.

Dan: Damnit. Every damn time.

Dan frustratedly throws the shirt on the ground and grabs another; Reggie wrings his hands in anxiousness.

04-07-08, 10:56 AM (EST)
3. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 4 - "I Didn't Say It Like It Was a Bad Thing!""
Blog Entry, 10/2/2008
Authored by: Wade Blitzer, trojantrainer

Pushing through pain may be a big deal to a lot of reality show fans, but to us in the football world, it's a way of life. Sprained ankle? Put some ice on it and get back in the game. Banged-up knee? Same deal. Broken leg? Well, OK, get on the sidelines and try to come back for the bowl game, I guess. But it's not something that players take lightly. Jim was no exception, and he's proving that.

I've seen people push through injuries before, but never a gunshot wound that, I guess, was never correctly healed. Sure, he had surgery on it and everything to get the bullet out, but the doctors never really took the right care of the shattered bone. The fact that Jim doesn't take the best care of his body - sure, he keeps in shape, doesn't drink or smoke, and eats fairly well, but he ignores pain - probably made it worse.

So needless to say, when he got back, he needed surgery, and he went back to the same place, and the staff there must have thought he was a prime candidate to sue them into the ground. Hell, if it were me, I would have threatened a lawsuit if they served me a Coke that wasn't cold enough, but that's not Jim's style. His life sucked before college, so he figures it's not right to make other people's lives suck because of it.

The staff who prepped him for surgery asked him about the possibility of a lawsuit - were they that scared? But good old stoic Jim just looked at the guy and said, "Well, since you screwed it up the first time, how about you just fix the damn thing the right way and write it off, and we'll call it square?" The staff agreed, and thankfully, Jim is now medical-bill free.

I wish I could say the same for his mental state, though. When it comes to his knee, he's fine. When it comes to being able to concentrate or even be in a loud stadium, he's having a lot of trouble. By the second quarter of the Ohio State game, Jim almost had a nervous breakdown. He actually had to be escorted to the training room and eventually had to leave the stadium. I think it was the loud cannon that did it to him.

I'm not sure what's so rough about a cannon. Yes, it's loud. But it never bothered him before. And he doesn't want to talk about it, not with me or Coach Carroll.

Interview - Leilani and Kea

The camera shows the two sitting on bar stools that have no apparent backs. They lean forward to keep their balance, and both are paying attention to the cameras but looking at each other a lot. The background is a solid white curtain.

Leilani wears a traditional Hawaiian dress and is clearly not wearing make-up. She has a semi-serious look on her face. She is of average height, thin build, and gives the appearance of a traditional Hawaiian. She has a pink flower on her right ear.

Kea has on faded jeans and a white tank top, and her hair is cut to shoulder-length. She is a couple of inches taller and a bit more full-figured than her sister and has nothing in her hair. She appears more jovial than Leilani.

Kea: I don't like to think about what makes me different from Leilani. Yes, we come from the same world and turned out completely different, but we still share a lot of the same passions.

Leilani: I appreciate the fact that I live off the land and my family and I are completely self-sufficient. It really makes me look at our motivations for going on the Race. For me, it's about the adventure and the experience, and for Kea, I think it's about the money.

Kea: The money is nice, yes, but I've never been out of Hawaii until now, and I want to see what's out there.

Leilani: What could be out there that you don't have right back at home?

Kea: Ask yourself the same question. If you're so tied down to Moloka'i, then why go on the Race?

Leilani: I want to see the world. I don't want to become its slave. Our family has lived off the land for centuries. It's very honest, and we don't have to depend on anyone else to survive.

Kea: I'm learning just how much people can depend on others, though. It's a real experience living in Honolulu.

Leilani: It's a real experience living in a crummy apartment barely able to afford food while you hope for a chance to move to the mainland and do the same. You couldn't even finish college, Kea. What makes you think that all this money can do any good?

Kea: This is the biggest thing that's driven a wedge between us. She loves Moloka'i and the simple life, and I love O'ahu and long for the big city.

Leilani: Moloka'i is a small island in Hawai'i, and our little town is called Maunaloa, not to be confused with the volcano on the big island. Until recently, I never went anywhere else, but, like my big sister, I have a bit of a wanderlust, and I want to see what all is out there. But when that happens, I'll be satisfied with my journey and return home where I belong.

Kea: We're so alike in so many ways that it's insane to see us wanting to tear each other's throats out. We might look like mild-mannered, innocent island girls, but that's exactly what we want the other teams to think. We really don't care who we're up against.

Leilani: Our biggest weakness, though, is the fact that we really don't understand the world that much. We were raised as traditional Hawaiians, and we're both pretty smart, but we never really exposed ourselves to how other cultures work. We'll have to learn that on the fly a bit.

Kea: I don't know where you get that idea. I studied all kinds of cultures in college; it was a real eye-opener. Our biggest weakness, if we had to pick one, is managing money.

Leilani: As long as you think you know how to get around in India, we'll be fine.

Kea: Hey, I got the Travel Channel in college.

Leilani: And if you spent a little more time working for tuition money and a little less time watching it, you wouldn't need to go on the Race to make money.

Kea: This is what it's like to deal with her. She's impossible.

Leilani: No, you just know I'm right.

Kea: And if I come home and give up my dreams, all I'll ever hear from you is what an idiot I am and how I shouldn't have dreams.

Leilani: Everyone should have dreams. No one should give up a good life in pursuit of dreams that are fleeting, too difficult, and too shallow.

Kea: And to think, I'm the older sibling, and she's the one talking down to me.

Leilani: I don't talk down to anyone. I just want my sister back.

Kea: Growing up, Leilani and I were a sort of "best enemies." We always counted on each other for everything, and if we had to do something together, we did it well, but egos and individual desires always got in the way eventually.

Leilani: For us to go on the Race together, we had to put aside a lot of differences and agree to be a team for just a few short weeks. After that, we can go back to bugging each other.

Kea: Assuming we don't get tired of it before a few weeks are up.

Leilani: I'm the younger sister. I never get tired of bugging you.

Kea: And I never get tired of trying to find ways to annoy you, either.

Leilani: We'll do just fine on the Race, I think. At the very least, we get to see the world and maybe win a couple of nice trips.

Kea: So if we win, can I have the full million? It's not like you need it or anything.

Leilani: Keep dreaming, sis.

The girls laugh and playfully slap each other as the screen goes dark.

Back from commercial.

Dan: Damnit. Every damn time.

Dan frustratedly throws the shirt on the ground and grabs another; Reggie wrings his hands in anxiousness.

Dan: At the Detour, I had an impossible time with the stencils and the spray paint. I can't paint, draw, or anything like that. Reggie did great, but I never learned.

Reggie: Having a young son, I got a little better at drawing, so I held up OK. But it's still sad when I'm the artistic one in the pair.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Dan has started the Hogette design; like before, he is going very slowly.

A quick pan to Alex shows that he has just put the last touch on his robot design; he calls the clerk over.

The clerk looks at his design, smiles as he looks over Elena, and hands her the clue.

Clerk: And may I have your number, beautiful?

Elena: Nice try, tough guy. (pointing to Alex) I'm with him.

Clerk: Just my luck.

Alex: I got a little jealous seeing the clerk hitting on Elena. I really am falling for her.

Elena: Relax, handsome. He hit on Spike first.

Alex: Talk about going from one extreme to the other. At least you're straight.

Elena: At least that's what I tell you.

Elena grins and grabs Alex's arm as Alex sits with a defeated look.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Kea and Ray have finished their designs; the clerk looks long and hard at Kea's design before handing her the clue.

Jamal (to the clerk): Hey, there are other people here besides pretty girls. Move it along.

The clerk doesn't even look at Jamal as he passes him the clue; his eyes are focused on Tina, who is finished with her design and has passed on to Jim, who is working on a football player.

Jamal (to the clerk): Don't bother; that bald guy is her boyfriend.

Tina: Thanks, Jamal.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Steve and Darius have gathered the entire women's outfit and are now looking for neckties. The one in their picture is black.

Steve: Damn Bryan for scattering these.

Darius: I have to hand it to the bastard. I can't find the f------ tie anywhere.

Darius: Bryan got to the ties before we did, so they were all over the place, and we couldn't find the one we wanted.

Steve: First he acts like a punk, and then he gets in our way. We could have been there for hours.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Steve is frantically checking every necktie for a tag but has not found the black one he needs. Darius, meanwhile, has moved on to the socks, which he finds quickly.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Jim is almost done with his design, Hayley is finishing up her journalist design, and Dan is nearing completion of his Hogette design.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Jeffrey and Bryan are the first to arrive.

Bryan: Roadblock. Who's out for blood?

Cut to Phil standing inside the stadium during what appears to be a rugby match.

Phil: In this Roadblock, players must take part in a rugby practice and join up with one of two competing squads. Only one, two, or four contestants may be on the field at one time, and they will stay on the field until their team scores a "try," or the rugby equivalent of a touchdown. Once a team scores a try, the contestants playing with them will receive their next clue.

Cut to Jeffrey and Bryan, currently in second place.

Bryan: I'll do it.

(confessional) Bryan: I've done all four Roadblocks so far, and I've told Jeffrey she has to start doing Roadblocks, but so far, all the ones we've come across are far better suited to me, so we'll have to wait.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Jim has finished his design, as has Hayley; Dan is still finishing up the Hogette design.

The clerk has come out to inspect the work of both finished teams, handing Jim a clue first and Alexis hers second, incensing Alexis.

Alexis: Sure, give the guy and your cute little crush the clue first. F--- you, assh---.

Hayley: Chill, Alexis. It's no big deal. We'll get them at the Roadblock. He's just a gimpy ex-football player.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Bryan is playing alongside several red-shirted collegiate rugby players; the other side is blue-shirted.

A blue-shirted rugby player delivers a stiff-arm that knocks Bryan back; he falls on his back and takes a second to get up.

Bryan (to himself): Call something, ref!

Cut to outside the game field, where three teams have arrived in succession - Carrie and Dana, Spike and Jennifer, and Charlie and Derek.

Dana: Roadblock. Who’s out for blood? Go for it, Carrie.

Spike: I got it.

Jennifer: That's three Roadblocks in a row for you, Spike.

Spike: Do you want to play rugby?

Jennifer: Go for it.

Derek: Rugby, huh? I guess I better do it.

Cut to the game field, where so far, Bryan's team has failed to score a try; Spike joins Bryan's side by random draw, and Derek joins the opposing side with Carrie.

A teammate of Bryan's has the ball after picking it up from a scrum.

Bryan: Over here! I'm open! Give it here!

The player laterals the ball to Bryan, who is not covered.

Only Carrie stands between Bryan and the goal; Carrie has a height advantage on Bryan, and Derek is out of position.

Carrie lowers her shoulder to come at Bryan; Bryan does the same.

Bryan tucks the ball away. Spike drops back; Derek picks up and rushes toward Bryan; although he is the closest defender, he is significantly out of position.

Slow-motion shows Carrie charging at Bryan while Bryan licks his chops and prepares to bowl her over. Derek runs toward the goal line at Bryan's trajectory, but he is too far out of position to catch him.

Carrie lowers her shoulder some more.

The two collide, and Bryan's head is thrown back.

Carrie, at the same time, is shown to have raised her elbow a bit.

Bryan loses the ball. It pops out of his arm and goes in the air.

Bryan falls flat on his back, Carrie is still standing.

Pan to Jeffrey and Dana on the sideline; Dana is whistling, hollering and cheering.

Jeffrey (shouting): That's a foul! Call something! Throw her out! Give her a time penalty! Do something!

Referee: That was a clean hit!

Jeffrey: F--- you!

Carrie: I laid Bryan out pretty good on the rugby field, and he took it OK, but Jeffrey was all whining and crying that her poor husband got the s--- knocked out of him by a woman.

Dana: And one that's way hotter than she could ever be.

Carrie: Like that takes much.

Cut to the Roadblock, where Derek is running after the scooped-up ball; Carrie pounces on it and immediately laterals to Derek before several red-shirted rugby players pounce on her.

Derek evades a couple of red-shirt players, stiff-arming one and leaping over another; Carrie tries to catch up to him and block, but Derek out-runs the opposing team and scores.

As he reaches the end zone, Derek spikes the ball and immediately begins to dance; Carrie, still not out of breath, runs up and high-fives him, and she begins to dance with him.

Team confessional, Charlie and Derek.

Charlie: When Derek scored that try, he broke out this wild-ass touchdown dance; he started shaking his chest and his hips like he was Chubby Checker or something, and then he even started bringing Carrie into it. And although I probably shouldn't say this, that Carrie's a hell of a dancer.

Derek: I've scored goals, but there's nothing like a touchdown dance, and I just had to celebrate after Carrie laid out Bryan. And then I told her afterward I was jealous that I didn't get to do it.

Charlie: But at least you got to dance with her.

Derek: Hey, nothing wrong with a little good-natured fun.

Cut to the referee handing Derek and Carrie their clues; noticeably, Bryan has switched teams, and Spike is now the only one with the red-shirts.

Derek: Travel on foot to St. David's Hall. Warning, last team to check in may be eliminated.

Carrie: Won't be us.

Derek: Damn straight.

Carrie: Hey, can I get a ride?

Derek: Hop on.

Carrie leaps onto Derek's back; following suit, Dana wraps her arms around Charlie's neck and climbs on.

Charlie: I'm too damn old for this.

Cut to St. David's Hall; outside the front entrance, the Pit Stop mat is set up. Phil stands next to a college-age male in khakis and a rugby shirt.

The first team to arrive is Bobby and Caroline; they arrive alone.

Greeter: Welcome to Cardiff.

Caroline: Thank you.

Phil: Bobby and Caroline...

Bobby wrings his hands nervously; Phil raises his left eyebrow.

Phil: ...you're team number ONE!

Caroline embraces Bobby warmly; Bobby lifts her up, spins her around, and kisses her on the lips before they return to face Phil.

Phil: Now I have some good news. As the winners of this leg of the Race, you have each won an iPhone courtesy of AT&T, and that comes with four years of unlimited wireless service for both of you.

The couple applauds joyously and starts to hold hands.

Phil: So how does it feel to come from last place to first like that?

Bobby: We needed this. You haven't seen the last of us.

Cut to a few minutes later at the same location; Derek is still carrying Carrie, and Charlie is still carrying Dana. The ladies drop off and invite the men to take their place on the Pit Stop mat first; they do so but are clearly winded and sore. Carrie and Dana join them seconds later.

Phil: Charlie and Derek...you're team number two! Carrie and Dana, you're team number three!

Carrie wraps her arms around Derek, grinning from ear to ear; Derek appears pleased as well. Dana follows suit, tightly embracing Charlie.

Dana jumps up and kisses Charlie on the cheek; Carrie wraps her head around Derek's neck and does the same. Charlie grins happily; Derek appears somewhat defeated but accepting.

Phil: So what was with the piggyback rides?

Carrie: You said to travel by foot. You didn't say whose feet.

Phil: Derek, how do you feel about Carrie asking for a piggyback ride?

Derek: I like Carrie. I'd do anything I could for her. But...I don't know...

Carrie (interjecting): The kiss was a bit much?

Derek: I hope Danni's not too upset.

Carrie: If I wanted her to be upset, I'd do this.

Carrie glides around to Derek's front and kisses him on the lips; Dana cheers wildly, and Charlie falls to the ground laughing.

Derek looks as if he's ingested a full jar of table salt, sugar, lemon juice, and Slurpee syrup, and his eyes are as bright as stage lights. It is unclear whether Carrie used her tongue or not.

Carrie: I'll see you back at the Pit Stop, hot stuff.

Phil: I've never seen anything like this.

Derek: What the hell just happened?

Charlie: Son, you just became a stud.

Derek: Danni's going to kill--wait a minute. Do you have a pierced tongue?

Carrie opens her mouth to reveal two silver tongue rings.

Dana (smiling, giving a thumbs-up): Niiiice.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium; the red-shirted team has the ball. Spike is a red-shirt, and Bryan is now a blue-shirt.

Bryan: I'm taking you down, Spike. You're going down!

Spike takes the ball and stands behind several blockers; Bryan tries to get to her but is failing. The red-shirts drive the ball forward toward the goal line, and Spike stays behind them.

At the goal line, Spike tears through the line and lunges forward with her ball-carrying arm; the referee watches intensely, and Spike attempts to cross the goal line with her palm.

Bryan reaches out and grabs at what appears to be air, missing Spike entirely.

Panning to the referee indicates that the try is good; he reaches for the clue.

Panning back to Spike and Bryan reveals that Bryan has his finger caught in Spike's nose ring. Spike doesn't appear to know what's going on.

Bryan, in apparent bewilderment, pulls his finger back, tugging hard on the nose ring.

He pulls it clear out of Spike's nose; she immediately grabs her nose in pain, and it begins to gush blood.

Bryan's facial expression does not appear to change.

Panning to Jennifer shows a horrified look on her face.

Spike does not appear to accept the clue at first.

Spike: I need something to stop the blood!

By now, Bryan is flat on his back, and Jennifer has run onto the field and is in Bryan's face.

Jennifer: You f------ assh---! You hurt her on purpose, you cheating bastard! I'll tear you in half for this! You're going down, you cheap-shot-giving motherf-----! I'll kill--

Spike: Jennifer!

Jennifer stops shouting.

Spike: Grab the clue and let's get the hell out of here.

Spike is covering her nose with a white towel that the referee gave her; the towel has turned partially to blood red.

Jennifer: Travel on foot to St. David's Hall. You holding up OK, Spike?

Spike: Just get me there.

Cut to the Pit Stop, where Jennifer is leading a struggling, bleeding Spike.

Phil: Spike and Jennifer...you're team number four!

Jennifer immediately turns her attention to Spike's nose.

Phil: Spike, what happened? Are you OK?

Immediately, Spike collapses on the mat, continuing to lose blood.

Phil (panicked): Medic!

04-07-08, 10:58 AM (EST)
4. "The Amazing Race: Expedition Episode 4 - "I Didn't Say It Like It Was a Bad Thing!""
Blog Entry, 10/2/2008
Authored by: Ron "Blazer" Macklin, punkrockliveshere

The first thing Spike told me about her time on the Race when she got back was this injury. She said that her nose ring was torn out of her nose - and this wasn't some easy, tear-away nose ring that won't cause anything more than a momentary sharp pain when pulled out. This is nothing like that.

I should add this - Spike's done quite a few drugs in her life. Couple that with smoking, genetics, and an utter disregard for sanity, and I don't think her blood clots right, so a bleed like the one she sustained is potential bad news. She was fine thanks to the quick work of the medical staff, but something bad could have happened if not for that.

I'm typing about this just because I'm trying to hold back my rage - if I knew where that asshole Bryan lived, I'd go there and beat the hell out of him right now. I know he pulled out Spike's nose ring on purpose. He looked at it, for crying out loud. He knew just what he was doing and got away with it because he could pass it off as an accident. The cutthroat bastard.

And then right as that happens, some jerk started cheering as Spike passed out. Yeah, we get it; not everyone has to root for Spike. Fine, whatever. But to cheer when someone gets hurt? Give me a break. I had to be restrained - and poor Spike couldn't do it all herself. I still got loose. I grabbed him by the shirt collar and threw him out of my bar.

Spike caught up to me and tried to stop me from doing anything more - and luckily, she succeeded. She's always the rational one...I know, I know, the lady with the rainbow Mohawk, skull earrings, tattoos, leather collar, and wife beater who's probably higher than a 747 is the rational one.

After we finished out the show, Spike brought me outside to have a cigarette...damn smoking ban, but at least I got to calm myself down. She popped a Life-Saver and rubbed my back and told me everything was going to be fine...since when did she become the adult? Probably right after I offered her a smoke and she refused. What the hell is that all about?

I stood there and held her for about twenty minutes and asked what I would do without her. She smiled and said, "I don't know." I didn't see her for about the next hour, and I think she actually asked me how my friend Jesus was when she got back, but she was fine. Her nose will heal. I just hope my burning rage can.

Blog Entry, 10/2/2008
Authored by: Danni Boatwright, tonganoxiegirl

Every night after the Race is over, I call Derek and we chat. He fills me in on what was really going on behind the scenes there, or at least as much as he's allowed to tell me. It's fun; we have something to talk about endlessly on Wednesdays, and it's a little like having him with me. For that night, it doesn't feel like he's four states away.

He was almost scared to answer the phone when I called him after this episode. He told me that he imagined me watching him at the Pit Stop while I was getting angrier and angrier and ready to tell him off. And while the mental image of a woman half Derek's size tearing through his apartment like the Incredible Hulk is pretty amusing, it wasn't like that at all.

In fact, while I was watching Derek carry Carrie to the Pit Stop on his back, and then Carrie turning around and kissing him, I couldn't stop laughing. It was as if the clashing sensation of "Wow, I can't turn this radiant beauty away right here" met with "Damnit, Danni's going to kill me," and poor Derek just froze.

I watched him about six times; the look on his face was worth triple the national debt and then some. Clearly, Carrie was doing all the mouth work, and Derek was just standing there doing barely enough to not upset her. That coupled with Derek's frightened tone when I called him, and my lungs hurt from laughing so hard.

If I ever needed proof that Derek wouldn't even consider cheating on me, that was it right there. Carrie is...well, how should I say this...drop dead gorgeous. She's so hot, her nickname is "Daaaaamn." She doesn't just look good for her age. And Derek doesn't even look at her while she's practically playing tonsil-hockey with him...yet somehow he figures out she has a pierced tongue. Gee whiz, I wonder how that happened.

And before you think her boyfriend was upset, she dropped this little bit of information - she and Rex have an open relationship. I'm not sure how little five-foot-ten Rex managed to land Carrie and get to sleep with other girls on the side, but he did, at least at the price of seeing Carrie tongue-wrestle with my stunned boyfriend.

I'm going up to Ann Arbor to see Derek, as I've done every weekend for the past two months. I told Derek I was going to get my tongue pierced. After he caught his breath, he just made me promise not to get my nose pierced...no problem, big guy. After that asshole Bryan took out poor Spike's nose ring, I'll be passing on most facial piercings as well. No wonder Derek and Bryan don't get along.

I'm not really getting my tongue pierced. Well, maybe.

Back from commercial.

Phil: Spike, what happened? Are you OK?

Immediately, Spike collapses on the mat, continuing to lose blood.

Phil (panicked): Medic!

Cut to a medical team arriving and examining Spike's nose; she is continuing to bleed.

The medic is a young woman in nursing scrubs; her badge identifies her name as Hennessy.

Hennessy: We need to stitch her up. She's losing too much blood. Did she walk all the way here?

Jennifer: Yes. The rules said to.

Hennessy: We need to get her stitched up immediately. If we don't, she will die.

Jennifer covers her face with her hands; she appears to be sobbing, and Phil kneels to place his hand on her shoulder.

(confessional) Jennifer (crying): I saw the way Bryan tore her nose ring out. I might not have the best relationship with Spike, and I know she cheated on me, but she didn't deserve this. She always stood by me. I just wish I was able to do the same.

Cut to the scene of the collapse; Spike is still unconscious and being taken away into a small medical cart on a stretcher. Jennifer is invited to ride in it; a staffer tries to comfort her. Medics are trying to plug Spike's nose and put an oxygen mask over her mouth. It does not appear that Spike has stopped breathing.

Cut to a nearby hospital, where Spike is being treated.

Phil (voice-over): Spike was taken to a nearby hospital, and her nose was stitched up. The tear was especially bad, but medics deemed it manageable. Within minutes of being stitched up, Spike regained consciousness and was released. She and Jennifer remain in the game, and their standing is unchanged.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Bryan's blue-shirt teammates have driven past the halfway point on the field and appear to be making big gains. Bryan is given the ball, and behind a wall of defenders, he reaches the three-quarters point before being brought down.

Cut to outside the stadium, where Alex and Elena have arrived.

Alex: Roadblock. Who's out for blood? Do you want this?

Elena: What the hell. Sure.

Cut to Elena arriving on the game field and donning a red shirt; Bryan's team is near the goal line.

Elena: Great position my team's in.

Bryan hands the ball to a teammate, who charges at Elena; Elena throws up a crossed-arm shield, trying to defend herself, and is flattened; the player scores a try, and Bryan runs over to the referee to receive his next clue, soon being joined off the field by Jeffrey.

Bryan: Travel on foot to St. David's Hall.

Cut to the Pit Stop, where Jeffrey and Bryan are arriving.

Phil: Jeffrey and Bryan...you're team number five!

Bryan hollers and pumps his fist; Jeffrey even appears to grin.

Phil: However, I have some bad news. I understand, Bryan, that you were involved in an altercation on the rugby field with Spike.

Bryan: It was nothing; it was just an accident.

Phil: Spike had to go to the hospital. She lost a lot of blood and became unconscious. She will be returning to the Race, but she's pretty beaten up. We reviewed the tape and didn't find anything that would indicate that you injured her on purpose; as such, we cannot issue a penalty and have to chalk it up to an accident in a rough game.

Bryan: She shouldn't have been wearing all that jewelry; she was bound to get hurt.

Phil: If you see her, please try to show her a little more sympathy than that.

Bryan: I'll be sure to do that.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Ray and Jamal are arriving.

Ray: Roadblock. Who's out for blood? I guess I better do it.

Cut to inside the stadium, where Ray is arriving to join the blue-shirts, and Elena is shaking in fear as a member of the red-shirts.

A red-shirt player hands Elena the ball, and the team blocks for her; Ray tries to reach out to tackle her, but he cannot reach her, and the red-shirts drive forward. A red-shirted player calls out to her; he is open.

Player: Pass the ball!

Elena does not follow; she instead continues to plow ahead, and soon a hole is created in the line, which Elena runs through.

Blue-shirted players reach out to try to tackle her; one grabs her shirt but gets nothing more.

Two blue-shirted players line up to block her way; Elena stops immediately as they charge her.

She flips the ball behind her head and ducks.

A read-shirt player leaps up and catches it, continuing to charge ahead and stiff-arming opposing players.

After breaking through the line, that player scores, and the referee runs over to hand a cowering Elena her clue.

Elena: Аз смятам, че аз умрях само. Ние отбелязахме ли точка? (Subtitle: I think I just died. Did we score?)

Elena: I was scared for my life out there. I thought I was going to die. I don't normally play sports, much less violent ones, so seeing those rugby players trying to attack me was almost enough to make me pass out.

Alex: We got lucky, though, in that rugby's a team game. So Elena just passed the ball, and the other guy scored.

Cut to Leilani and Kea arriving at the Roadblock.

Kea: Who's out for blood? Your turn.

Leilani runs onto the field and joins the red-shirt team. The blue-shirts have the ball at midfield.

Cut to just outside the stadium, where Hayley and Alexis are arriving, as are Tina and Jim.

Hayley: Roadblock. Who's out for blood? I'll do this.

Tina: Who's out for blood? How's your knee?

Jim: It's fine. I'll do it.

On one side of the ball are Leilani and Jim, who do not have the ball and are wearing red; on the other side are Ray and Hayley, who have the ball and are wearing blue.

Ray gets the ball and laterals to Hayley, who has the blue-shirts blocking for her, including Ray, who holds off a tough-looking red-shirt for a short time before he is overpowered.

The tough red-shirt tackles Hayley, throws her for a loop, and knocks the ball loose, picking up the ball and running with it.

Hayley reaches around and grabs his ankle; he keeps running but is slowed down, and he tries to shake her off with no success. However, Jim catches up to the player and takes a lateral from him; wide open, he runs for the goal.

Several blue-shirts, as well as red-shirts, including Leilani, chase after him, two appear to be catching up, but Jim avoids a diving tackle and is chased only by Leilani, another teammate, and a blue-shirt who lunges for him just short of the goal.

Jim cries out in pain as the blue-shirt grabs his right leg. He lets go of the ball before falling and reaches the ground in pain.

Immediately, he begins clutching his knee as the ball rolls loose and several players go after it. A pile forms on top of the ball.

Jim struggles to get up and limps off the field.

At the bottom of the pile, it is discovered that Leilani fell on the ball.

The players clear off of her, and she shakes off the hits and walks over to the referee, who hands her the clue and then runs over to Jim to give his clue to him.

Tina: Jim, are you OK?

Jim: Yeah, yeah, I'm fine.

Tina: You need to get some ice on that. I hope you hold up.

Jim: I'm fine. It's just a bit of pain.

Jim: One of the rugby players grabbed my knee, and I felt a sharp pain. I just went down like a sack of potatoes.

Tina: I worry a lot about Jim's knee. It's not just that we won't be able to finish the Race. It's more than that. I don't want to see him end up crippled by this.

Jim: I won't be crippled.

Tina: He says that now.

Cut to St. David's Hall, where Alex and Elena are arriving.

Phil: Alex and Elena...you're team number six!

Alex kisses Elena as the two celebrate with smiles.

Cut to Dressed Down, where Reggie is finishing up his design, a father holding up his young son.

He sets the sprayer down and calls over the clerk, who inspects his work. The clerk takes a quick look at Reggie's design and switches immediately to Dan's, taking a long, hard look.

He nods his head and takes out the clue, handing it to Reggie.

Reggie: Travel to Cardiff Athletic Stadium.

Dan: Thank God I'm out of here.

Cut to Dressed Up, where Steve and Darius now have all articles of clothing except for the tie. Darius hands the clothing to Steve and immediately picks up a red tie, tossing it aside. Underneath is a black tie that they had not found previously.

Darius flips the tie over quickly.

He finds the right tag and immediately pumps his fist and runs to the counter.

As he runs, he slides on a blue tie and falls flat on his face.

Darius: We did not do well at the Detour. First, we couldn't find the tie, and when we did, I fell on another tie. I'm not happy right now with Jeffrey and Bryan for scattering those ties, but we'll get them.

Steve: I have confidence that we'll stay around.

Cut to St. David's Hall, where Leilani and Kea are arriving.

Phil: Leilani and Kea...you're team number seven!

The two sisters embrace as they squeal joyously.

Phil: How was it playing rugby?

Leilani: I seriously thought they were going to kill me. I got tackled, and I saw my life flash before my eyes.

Phil: It's a rough sport, isn't it?

Leilani: A little too rough.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Hayley has switched to the red team and Ray is on the blue team. One of Ray's teammates has the ball.

Ray gets the ball from the teammate; Hayley charges at him from around the side as he tries to make a break for the goal.

She lowers her shoulder; Ray appears not to see her.

She plows into Ray, knocking him flat.

She raises her arms.

Hayley: Wooooooooo! No mercy, baby!

Alexis jumps up and down and cheers from the sidelines; Jamal stands and sighs.

Team confessional, Hayley and Alexis.

Hayley: I decked Ray on the rugby field. It felt good to hit someone.

Alexis: It felt good to watch.

Cut to Reggie and Dan arriving at Cardiff Athletic Stadium.

Reggie: Who's out for blood? I'll do it.

Reggie and Dan arrive at the game field but are forced to wait for someone to score or another team to arrive.

Panning to the outside shows Steve and Darius arriving.

Steve: Roadblock. Who's out for blood? I'll let you take it.

Panning back inside shows Steve and Darius arriving; Darius joins up with Hayley, and Reggie joins up with Ray.

Immediately, Reggie receives the ball and is difficult to bring down, especially with the blocking he has.

He takes the ball a good distance, and before being brought down, he laterals to another player. Hayley tries to tackle this player but misses, as he jumps.

The player scores.

The referee takes out two clues, handing one to Reggie and the other to Ray; Dan and Jamal join their teammates.

Hayley: Do you want to switch or should I?

Darius: Rock-paper-scissors?

Hayley: All right.

Both Hayley and Darius make fists, counting off "one, two"...

...and on three, they reveal.

Hayley plays paper.

Darius plays rock.

Hayley: I'm staying put.

Darius: Fair's fair.

Darius: It was a battle between us and Florida to stay out of last, and it came down to rock-paper-scissors. I should have played scissors, but then again, I didn't think it would matter.

Steve: Both teams looked evenly matched, so I figured it would work no matter what we did.

Cut to St. David's Hall; a limping Jim is led by a distraught Tina, but both reach the Pit Stop.

Phil: Tine and Jim...you're team number eight!

Jim wipes the sweat off his forehead; Tina puts her hands on her knees.

Phil: Jim, is the knee OK?

Jim: Yeah. I'll just ice it, and I'll be OK.

Phil: Can you keep this up?

Jim: I'll be fine.

Soon after them, Ray and Jamal arrive.

Phil: Ray and Jamal...you're team number nine!

An exhausted Ray exchanges a double-fist-pound with a smiling Jamal.

Cut to a later time, where Reggie and Dan, out of breath, are arriving.

Phil: Reggie and Dan...you're team number ten!

The two exchange a double-high-five.

Phil: Is it hard to play rugby at your age?

Reggie: What age? I did just fine.

Phil: Well, all right.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Hayley is lined up across from Darius. Hayley's red-shirt team has the ball, while Darius' team is on defense.

Hayley is helping to block for a teammate while Darius is attempting to push through the line.

Darius seems to be squeezing through the opposing line; Hayley looks over and drops back.

Darius reaches out and strips the ball from the red-shirted ball carrier.

He falls to the ground but gets up, recovering the ball and running back toward the goal.

Only one player stands between him and the goal.

That player gets in a bent-knee stance and attempts to block Darius. Darius jukes to one side and scrambles toward the other.

The player reaches his arm out and gets a hand on the ball.

He swats the ball away, and it bounces toward the right side.

Hayley sprints over and scoops up the ball; she avoids the line and dashes toward the right side of the logjam.

Darius chases her but is far short; Hayley scampers past the other players untouched.

She reaches the goal and sets the ball down, retrieving the clue from the referee.

Team confessional, Hayley and Alexis.

Hayley: This was kind of a rough leg for us, but we made it. And it felt good to score a touchdown.

Alexis: It's rugby, Hayley. There's no touchdowns. You scored a try.

Hayley: Whatever. We got out of there with our heads.

Cut to St. David's Hall, where Hayley and Alexis are arriving.

Phil: Hayley and Alexis...you're team number eleven!

Both ladies pump their fists and do an apparent air-kick.

Phil: You're both still in the Race. How was that leg?

Hayley: Tough, but fun. We do a lot of things to challenge ourselves. Rugby was new, but it wasn't something we couldn't do.

Alexis: We believe that girls can do anything, and we live by that motto.

Hayley: We're proving every day that we can do anything, and we hope other young women will do the same.

Cut to Cardiff Athletic Stadium, where Darius' blue-shirt team is across the halfway point of the field and carrying the ball.

A few quick cuts show Darius advancing the ball and blocking for teammates who are doing the same.

Finally, a blue-shirt player scores, and the referee hands Darius the clue.

Steve and Darius leave the field and depart for St. David's Hall.

Cut to St. David's Hall, where Phil is waiting.

Greeter: Welcome to Cardiff.

Steve and Darius: Thank you.

Phil: Steve and Darius...you're the last team to arrive.

Darius gives a defeated expression; Steve is still smiling.

Phil: I'm sorry to tell you that you have been eliminated from the Race.

Steve: Darius and I came a long way together, and I think it strengthened our relationship. I don't know if we'll ever be best friends again, but I know I don't want to be out of his life.

Darius: I had a lot of trouble dealing with my father's choices, but I'm not the kind of person who tries to tell other people how to live. Whatever differences we have can be solved. He's my father and I love him.

Cut to Steve and Darius standing at the finish mat with their heads held high; Phil smiles, and the greeter even grins.

The credits begin to roll.

Phil (voice-over): Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode.

Episode 4: Elimination Station Summary
Authored by: Dr. Rage

Methinks the producers are perhaps regretting putting Sequesterville in Guam. Steve and Darius were exhausted when they got to the villa, and Steve said that the first thing he was doing was going upstairs and getting about twenty straight hours of sleep. Darius, of course, said that he could see his father doing just that.

The last few days were pleasant, sure, although the whole "Oh my God, it's Eric and Jessica from Big Brother" factor wore off after a few days, and the four sequesterees mostly sat around, chatted, and went swimming. It turns out Bob's still a pretty good athlete, and Debra's in pretty good shape as well. They've convinced Eric and Jessica to start working out, and by "working out," they usually mean "riding bicycles for a long time." Jessica thanked God she wasn't a BMX rider for a living.

Both teams were still expecting to see Bobby and Caroline and were surprised by the visitor that they got from a couple of days before, which was...a uniformed mail carrier, delivering them a notice that the third leg was non-elimination. Eric grumbles, "And if we hadn't gone for the damn Fast Forward, we'd be in Africa by now." Apparently no one told them that the teams went to Great Britain next.

So they braced themselves for the next visitor. And once again, they were somewhat pleased to see Steve and Darius enter.

Darius was, for only the fifth time in his life, smiling. We're assuming that he grinned once on his wedding day, once at the birth of his son, and once during the Race, and probably once more at some point in his life; we're just not sure when.

The villa occupants greet the new team warmly, telling them they're happy to see them and not "certain other teams." Darius tells Bob that they would have loved to send Jeffrey and Bryan to sequester and referred to the comment Bryan made about Steve looking for "an outfit to wear" when he picked up the dress at the Detour.

Debra is a little confused, but Steve explained the nature of the Detour as well as the Dressed Down option, in which they could have painted shirts. The other two teams unanimously agree that they would have done the T-shirt option. Darius puts his hands up as if to indicate confusion.

Steve also reveals something to the other teams - he's gay. Judging by the lack of a shocked look on Darius' face, Eric infers, correctly, that Darius knew. When he explained that he came out after his wife passed away, Debra seemed to gain an understanding of why there was a falling out between Steve and Darius...which is funny, because this is the first that they mentioned anything like that to the other teams.

Steve asks if Eric and Jessica were on another reality show. Debra and Bob laugh, and Bob shoots Coke out of his nose. Well done, Steve. It turns out that Steve's neck of Manitoba doesn't get American Big Brother, and when he explains this, the others seem to understand.

Debra also couldn't wrap her mind around why Darius calls his father by his nickname, Rooster, so Steve, a.k.a. Rooster, has to explain that the nickname comes from his restaurant, the Red Rooster, and that Darius started calling him that as a joke and it stuck. Aside from that, with another father/son team in the Race, Darius figured that calling for "Dad" all the time might get confusing, never mind that this team was usually at the other end of the pack from Charlie and Derek.

Steve and Darius also informed the sequester people of something that they learned on their way out - Spike had to go to the hospital. Darius was very upset with Bryan already for the crack he made about Steve with the dress, but the nose ring incident was what cemented Bryan as "a total bastard" in Darius' eyes. Steve lamented, "I guess I won't be exchanging Christmas cards with the Ohio team this year." However, they did get to deliver the good news that Spike was fine and still participating in the Race. Apparently the producers are the only ones who don't think that Bryan tearing the ring out of Spike's nose was intentional. Even the non-judgmental Debra said Bryan was "a piece of trash."

Darius broke the story about Carrie kissing Derek at the Pit Stop. Debra, who had previously called Derek a fool for dating Danni, his current girlfriend, almost fell out of her chair from the description of what happened. And in a complete reversal of her previous behavior, Debra actually condemned Derek for "carrying on with another woman" because "for God's sake, he has a girlfriend, even if she's no good." Darius insisted that Derek wanted no part of the kiss, which seemed to be true, and only Debra seemed to have a problem with the whole show. Jessica even said, "I would have loved to swap places with Carrie." Eric took offense, and she said, defensively, "I'm kidding."

When asked who they anticipate seeing next, Steve and Darius shock the others with their choice of Reggie and Dan. No one can believe that Bobby and Caroline won the last leg, even if they used their Fast Forward, and Eric calls the Colorado team "lucky sons of bitches," and adds, "to think the next leg was non-elimination."

Steve heads to bed early, and Darius heads out to the beach with Eric and Jessica. Debra and Bob stay in and watch old movies. Darius tells Jessica that he plans to use the money to make improvements on his home and start a small college fund for his son. Jessica seems floored that Darius has a son and tells him that she hopes sequester isn't too rough on him. Darius gives a half-hearted smile as if to say he'll be fine, even if he himself doubts it.

Darius also has a secret that he's prepared to tell his wife when he gets home - he was unfaithful to her while she was pregnant. He and Jessica discuss this in detail, and she seems to be fairly supportive, albeit she scolds him into promising to tell her before this reaches CBS.com, and he promises that he will do so. He says that he did it just because of stress more than anything, and he felt like he didn't have any other outlet. He goes on to say that he "wasn't thinking clearly" and that he and his wife separated for about eight months after his son was born, though he never told her about the infidelity.

Darius asks Jessica not to tell anyone else this, and she agrees but says that he should tell his wife. Darius promises he will do so.

Back from commercial.

Phil (voice-over): On the next episode of the Amazing Race...teams get a unique Fast Forward opportunity.

Charlie: Who the hell speaks Old French? Or did you pick that up in Rio, too?

Phil (voice-over): Jim pushes through pain.

Cut to Jim trying to walk but grabbing his knee.

Phil (voice-over): And Spike and Jennifer confront Jeffrey and Bryan.

Jennifer: You're a dirty player! You f------ hurt people on purpose!

Jeffrey: Stay out of our faces, bitch!

Jennifer: Go to hell, skank!

Voice-over: Stay tuned for an all-new CSI: Miami coming up next.

Order of finish:

1. Bobby and Caroline, 2:49 pm
2. Charlie and Derek, 3:17 pm
3. Carrie and Dana, 3:18 pm
4. Spike and Jennifer, 3:31 pm
5. Jeffrey and Bryan, 3:54 pm
6. Alex and Elena, 4:01 pm
7. Leilani and Kea, 4:14 pm
8. Tina and Jim, 4:18 pm
9. Ray and Jamal, 4:32 pm
10. Reggie and Dan, 4:35 pm
11. Hayley and Alexis, 4:56 pm
12. Steve and Darius, 4:59 pm

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •