The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
" Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part I"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 44384 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-22-06, 07:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
" Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part I"
LAST EDITED ON 06-24-06 AT 08:29 AM (EST)

After
------------------------------------------------
Walk. Just walk. Just a few more feet. Just a few more...

You start planning out the questions early. You know that eventually, you're going to be called in front of a jury of people who pretend they're your peers while acting like your superiors, and they're going to quiz you. Every action you took will be dissected. Every thought you openly confessed will be torn apart. Who you are exists only to be shredded for someone else's pleasure --

-- or at least, as much pleasure as they can find during two five-minute segments with a commercial break in the middle.

And one of the most inevitable questions is going to be 'What did you learn?' And if you think about it honestly, it'll be the question that hurts more than any other.

The answer would have depended on when I had been asked. Early on, I learned what it was like to question myself, warming up for the dissection with a little personal practice. Further through, I learned how to be betrayed. Somewhere in the middle, I learned how to die, and close to the end, how to wish for death as the best of all possible options. Today, right now, it was I learned how to lie to my body and have it believe me, at least for a minute at a time. And it was the only one I'd ever consider saying aloud. Just because an answer would be honest doesn't mean you have to admit to it. I learned that, too.

Uphill. Always uphill.

We were returning under cover of darkness, all of us. Deliberate, of course. All those cities, all those time zones, and we all limped in on red-eye flights, coming back to whatever was supposed to pass for homes now inside the small hours. No neighbors to look us over in daylight, wonder what had happened to us, toss out immediate questions about our absence that we weren't allowed to answer, and post their suspicions about our silence on the Internet some thirty seconds later, and that on a slow connection. In my case, it had been a series of transfer flights, out of the South Pacific and up to Hawaii, then a jump to San Francisco, nonstop to Newark, train to the Port Authority, bus from Newark into Paterson, the latest bus still running at that hour, no direct trips possible --

-- and uphill, towing the suitcase behind me, the weight feeling as if it was trying to take my arm towards the waterfall and leave the rest of me behind, stupidly staring after it.

My camera operator would have loved the shot, presuming he could have been bothered to try for it.

Probably focusing on my sweat right now, with alternate shots to the way I keep clutching at that shoulder with my free hand, then switching and clutching at the other shoulder. Always get the pain shots. The pain shots are golden. Never prevent pain because the shot is so much better. Where is that son of a --

-- no. Not here. Thousands of miles away, probably never to be seen again. Alone at last. Finally alone again for the briefest of times -- the respite before the world, just for a little while, looked up and took the smallest of notices.

Alone.

I didn't like being alone while walking through Paterson into Haledon at three in the morning on no sleep. No one would.

They should hold a season here.

Uphill through dark streets and potholed sidewalks, every step another small agony, with thousands of tiny tortures yet to come. Arms aching. Back sore. Legs starting to respond on time delay. Bra straps embossed deep into shoulders. Chain around the neck dragging forward, the large cross heavier than it should be, but it always had been. The scars on my left arm were itching again.

'Alex showing real determination out there! Refusing to give in! Pushing on!"

'Thanks, Jeff," I muttered to the chill air. Two more steps. Three.

"Alex completely insensitive to the way her body is falling apart on her!'

"Shut up, Jeff." Get out of my head, damn it. I spent all that time with you yelling at me, I'm finally back where things are supposed to make sense even if they never do, and you still won't shut up...

-- movement. Something shifting through the hedge on the left, trying to be stealthy, not quite making it. Suitcase only weapon. Turn, turn fast, lie to the body, tell it everything has to wait again, hoist the suitcase, get ready to swing --

-- the stray cat stared at me, eyes briefly luminous as they went wide with fear, maybe half a second of being locked together, furious human and terrified feline that didn't know what it could have possibly done...

...bolting across the street.

Gone.

Slowly, I lowered the suitcase. And now my shoulders really ached.

"Alex acting just a little bit paranoid!"

"It wasn't your death."

Jeff still didn't have an answer for that one.

Back to walking.

To get from Paterson into Haledon when you can't afford the relative safety of a taxi, you climb. You climb a little or a lot, depending on the street you're heading for. Nearly all roads slant away from my little cut of dust and dried tears. Go too far up, and you start moving past the college I'd never been able to attend. Hit a crest, and it was all downhill into the good houses, the nice shopping, the high salaries and expensive cars. I never got that far in going to what was supposed to be home, had never thought I'd be able to. My real world stopped among buildings that had needed painting for so long that you could substitute the layers of dirt for new colors, each ring representing a new landlord who'd failed to do anything about it too. My little apartment is three rooms: bedroom just large enough for a bed and a desk as long as the desk can partially dent the bed, micro-kitchen which ensures shopping every few days because the mini-fridge can't store more food than that, bathroom tiny enough so that the only way to reduce space more would be to put the toilet in the shower. There's two more just like it on my floor, only bigger for the same amount of rent.

Insult to injury: fifth-floor walkup.

All that travel, no gangs in the night, no assaults or insults or misdirected hate, no --

death again

-- and still five flights of stairs to climb.

Open the door, regard the fresh graffiti in the dim light from the underpowered bulbs that we weren't supposed to be subjected to, note that there seemed to be a small-scale war building up between three different factions which meant the clattering sound from whatever I'd accidentally kicked on the sidewalk was probably made by a bullet casing, start climbing.

Come back under cover of darkness. Answer no questions truthfully. We'd all been briefed, debriefed, and rebriefed. You were sick. You were away. You were anywhere but here. You say nothing to anyone until the day we let the world know, and then you only say so much, a little more with each passing week, and in the end, you'll find you can never say it all...

"Alex can see the finish line!"

"Carry my damn bag, Jeff."

He chuckled, then -- "Gardener coming up from behind!"

I stopped next to a mixed patch of racism and bad spelling -- every gang is its own race, doesn't everyone know that? I didn't look back. No one there. I knew there was no one there. No voice in my head that I wasn't putting there to keep myself awake long enough to reach relative safety. Artists talk to themselves, and try to pretend they're not the ones answering... “He's always coming up from behind. It's the only way he knows how to work.”

"Gary without a clue out there!"

"More of one than you ever realized he had." Keep moving. Just a little while longer. Just keep lying and you get to the end. Probably a lesson for someone.

"Trina still playing her cards --"

"Like you would know." Not insane, not delusional. Self-distracting. Think in Jeff's voice and it would keep me from thinking about so many other things. It was a good theory, really it was.

Except that Jeff kept bringing things up. "Alex at a decision point."

"Not anymore."

"Alex is going to have to make a move."

"Don't care."

"Alex --"

"-- is tired, Jeff." Stop again, sigh, try to get the straps up to skin level when it felt like they were deep into the bone, lightly rub scars, try not to touch the tangled mess that my hair refused to stop being. "Let me sleep."

"It's almost as if you don't like me."

Back to climbing. "Whatever you say." As self-distractions go, Jeff was something less than desirable.

"It's almost as if you don't like anyone."

And stop. "Shut. Up." Resume.

"Did you ever smile?"

"You didn't see everything."

Tentatively, "Did you ever feel like you could forgive --"

That one needed cutting off. "-- you did it to me, jerk. And no, I will never forgive you for it."

”-- yourself?”

“There's nothing to forgive.”

Silence. Jeff still didn't believe that one.

Too many shadows on the staircase, bits of emerging splinters poking into the hand on the railing. It was supposed to be bright in here. There was always supposed to be light in a home. There never really was.

Climb. Not much further. A step, and a step, and a step --

-- I learned how to lie about numbers and endurance. I learned how to say 'I can do another one.' Another challenge. Another face-to-face in camp. Another bald-faced lie at Tribal Council. Another shattering. Another day. For as many of them as I could see.

I learned --

"What? What did you learn, Alex?"

Stop. And it really was one more step to my top-floor landing, and three to the door, and Jeff was in his warm, caring, I-really-want-you-to-be-okay mode that we'd all seen a couple of times out there. Maybe ten feet to what wasn't home, but I could lie about that too. That one was the old lie, and it was easy to slip into, at least in the twilight that had once passed for my public.

"Tell you later," I sighed, crossed the distance, fumbled for long-unused keys --

-- breath and sound, metal and wood scrapping against each other, on the right.

The suitcase was already coming up again by the time I turned, going down when I realized what -- who it was.

Just a neighbor. Mr. Brooks, no first name, although he'd answer to Jack or Johnny or whatever other drink you wanted to offer him. Age indeterminate, blood alcohol level high, lifespan had about three years to run. He asked for nothing but a constant state of non-sobriety and achieved nothing but a long suicide. His eyes were starting to show the brightness that indicated he was as close to being aware of things as he ever got, and he was going to go find the merciful liquids that would make it stop.

"Cole." Aware enough to know who I was. Way too close to the surface for his liking. His eyes automatically traveled over me to seek the usual lechery, paused on clothes that were somehow still dirty after three washings and loose over the body, hair as stated, eyes deep and face hollowed from too much weight lost in a hurry when there had been little to give --

-- one sleeve pushed up where I'd stopped to rub the scars.

He looked at them. I pushed the sleeve back down. His eyes came up to my face again.

"You look like hell," he told me, burped whiskey fumes twice, and sloppily started down the stairs.

I stood stock-still, waiting for the sounds of his fumbling passage to fade.

It was the nicest thing he'd ever said to me.

"Yeah, you too," I said to the air, unlocked the door, and went inside to what was never going to be home.

Home was somewhere else...
-------------------------------------------------------
Before

{Finally got a fifth name out of the damn generator: Alex Cole. Anyone know that one?}

{I Googled and got way too many results. Probably not the former baseball player after the not-a-landscaper fiasco and definitely not the TV guy.}

{That's five names out of the hat so far and they're all males. Is Burnett trying to tell us something?}

{Hey! I think I've got this one! First spoiler ever! So there's this webcomic I read, and the creator said he was going to go on vacation for maybe a month, and he wouldn't be able to respond to any mail until he got back because he wouldn't have easy computer access. He put the whole site on auto-update and left. Back now, and didn't say anything about where he'd been! I really think we've got him!}

{Nice one, genius. Among the many things you've got, do you think we can count a URL?}

{I Googled it myself. Good strip. I don't care if this is a contestant: I'm bookmarking it.}

{Dude, that Alex Cole is a girl.}

{Fine, so I never read the FAQ. Whatever.}

{Absence dates match when she would have had to leave for when we know filming started: return matches when she would have gotten back from Sequesterville or the jury. Yeah, we've got her. Good work for your first.}

{duz nyone know wut she looooks lik? is this a babe?}

{No pictures on the site.}

{Whoever heard of a cartoonist being 'a babe'?}

{I sent her E-mail through the site's link and asked her if she was a contestant. No response.}

{She's not going to tell you! Geez...}

{Newbie.}

{Still no pictures.}

{Not much personal information on the site. She exists, she draws, and because everyone keeps asking, yes, she's female. No data, no advance knowledge, and no one seems to know anything about her at all. The perfect contestant.}

{Good webstrip, though.}

{Leak over on Sucks: her luxury item is a sketchbook. Big surprise.}

{God, I hate the riddles people post when they get a source. Listen to this one: 'There will be blood, shed twice, once in struggle and once in tears.' Is that supposed to mean something?}

{People live near her, but no one seems to know her...}

{We'll get a picture tomorrow on the official Early Show announcement.}

{Oh, Christ. Look at this vidcap. Ashlee Ashby, Part II. Twelfth place on my Picks To The End is now a mortal lock.}

{She's a Survivor? It's official: they've finally started casting exclusively for swimsuits.}

{Weird photo. Her eyes are kind of hooded, and she's the only contestant in the promo shots who isn't smiling...}

{Make that sixteenth place.}

{Here's the part of that radio spot from Jeff that discusses Alex, and I quote: 'You have to keep an eye on her. I think that some people are going to hate her more than any contestant we've ever had on the show, and others are going to feel for her like they've never connected with a contestant. I thought I knew just what she was going to do in the game -- and then she started playing it.' Or, in my paraphrase, 'uh-oh.'}

{Feel for her as in they want her to take off the swimsuit?}

{Unless she screws everyone over on the first challenge, I don't think your sixteenth place is looking so good any more.}

{Well, she has to last long enough to piss people off. Sounds like she either makes the jury or just misses it. Tenth or ninth?}

{Still waiting on personal information to hit the official website. CBS is late updating again. Always a piece of crap, that website...}

{At least Jeff said she's a cartoonist, so we know we've had it all along.}

{Sure, but -- that's all we've got. Nice art, good writing, lives in Jersey, apparently scrapes a living out of her website and that's not exactly easy for a cartoonist, got to be early twenties from the photo, and -- a girl. Hooray for us. Until CBS updates -- if they ever get it up before the show starts -- we're stuck.}

{Just updated her FAQ: 'Yes, I'm a contestant. I can't say any more than that right now.' Didn't even put it on the front page.}

{Apparently someone needs some brush-up lessons in her DAWing.}

{Who is she...?}
-------------------------------------------------------------
(Those of you who actually read the reunion transcript -- that would be four of you at last count -- might remember that I was going to borrow Jeff for the summer. This is what I was going to borrow him for. The rest of the prologue will be posted on this thread, and then each 'chapter' will go on its own thread. Let's see how far we get...}

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... Estee 06-23-06 1
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... geg6 06-23-06 2
       RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... byoffer 06-23-06 3
           RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... oz4ever 06-23-06 5
       RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... Estee 06-24-06 6
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... KObrien_fan 06-23-06 4
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... RudyRules 06-24-06 8
   Who needs Burnett? kingfish 06-24-06 9
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... cahaya 06-26-06 10
       RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... Belle Book 01-31-10 14
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... Glow 06-30-06 11
   RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... Belle Book 01-04-09 13
 RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... michel 06-24-06 7
 RE: Survivor: The Society Islands... TheFabulousLurker 08-23-06 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

06-23-06, 10:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
LAST EDITED ON 06-25-06 AT 09:08 PM (EST)

After
-------------------------------------------------------------
Of all the magic words that help me get through life on an income beggars would laugh at, two of the most potent are 'Manager's Special'. Put those two together on a red tag, apply them to the product of your choice, and it means malnutrition isn't coming this week. They mean fresh meat (or meat within twelve hours of having been fresh, that can still pass for it in even a moderately bright light), chicken that hasn't known six ounces of preservative for every two ounces of meat, and other assorted protein content that, miracle of miracles, has actually been somewhere near a protein chain. But you have to either get up pretty early to reach the red tags in my immediate area and be ready for anything up to and including small weapons fire because half the neighborhood needs those tags as much as you do -- or you get up a little later and walk up and over and down the hill into the high-rent district, where the supermarkets still need to clear out their mildly-old merchandise, but no one would dream of picking up anything less than perfect goods, no matter what the price. People might talk.

These were the good supermarkets, the ones with imported fruit, fish flown in from all over the world, sodas whose ingredients weren't speaking to each other after that last border dispute, culinary school graduates forced to find work in the built-in food court, and a lot of other things that I couldn't even remotely afford. The Manager's Specials tend to be extra-cheap in that kind of place. They have to be. The store assumes they're just going to wind up throwing it out anyway, so desperation stock movement attempts are free to be really desperate. You'd think that given that, there would be even more competition for those prime cheap cuts, but I'm not exactly telling anyone and -- no one else crosses the hill. No one else is willing to put up with the eyes of the other shoppers, all of whom treat the place as a gossip launch center. Look at what she's wearing. How can you bring that kind of outfit here? You're not supposed to be bargain-shopping, you're supposed to be trying to be seen. Hmph. Clearly someone's hiring a less-than-desirable au pair. We'll have to track her boss down and give that family a good talking-to. We have standards, you know...

Just like Connie. Standards.

Grab the specials, check for quality (almost always high here, but you never knew), stock up for the three days the mini-fridge could safely store and take it slowly all the way to the checkout, because it was going to be a very long walk back and every last car would sneer at me as they passed my slow trudge up the shoulder, especially the college students trading textbook money for gas while figuring they learned more that way. There are times when I think I'm the last young adult in America on foot, at least for this side of the hill. The beaten path is beaten down only by me, and if I don't break the snow in the winter, it goes to ice in a day and then there's no edible meat until the thaw...

A few people in line that morning, even at the express, so I settled in among disapproving stares and watched television. There are monitors (good, slightly elevated flat-screens) at the side of each line, because no one's going to read without still more odd looks and don't you know someone might want that magazine later? If you've got time to kill, you head for something showing NBC. If you're going to wind up fighting over a mismarked item, line up with FOX And Friends: it's inspirational. And if you're in what's supposed to be express and only proves that if you're moderately wealthy, you don't need to be able to count to twelve because you have people to do that for you, you're stuck with CBS. So I looked up at the screen --

-- and found myself looking back.

Oh. That's today.

I'd forgotten. Deliberate effort. You can't talk about the show, you can't admit to the show, you only think about the show, and that every damn day unless you make an effort not to, which constitutes thinking about it and hello, paradox. The way you stop dealing with it is to do everything else. Clean. Eat as much as it takes to get your weight back up, even if your budget suffers for weeks afterwards. Get a backlog of strips ready in case of writer's block. Shop in high-class supermarkets and think dark thoughts about everyone judging you for your appearance instead of thinking about how they'll be judging you in a few weeks for your edited actions. 'Today' had snuck up on me while I was otherwise occupied.

I looked very strange on the small screen. The black plastic border felt like prison bars closing in on the center. Somehow, the effect seemed to make me a little taller than I really was, at least to myself, even translated to something nine inches high -- but also more compressed: sharper hues, established limits. You go this far and then -- you get stopped. Television without pity is still television with walls.

Publicity shot. The background was provided by computer: the actual picture was taken against a green screen to make the editing a little easier later. They always want to make the editing a little easier. The young woman is standing in what will eventually be revealed as her confessional grove: each contestant films in a slightly different spot, and she can usually be found talking directly to the camera in a small clear patch among tangled lemon trees, transplanted citrus flourishing on this strange island, where so much exists that never should have come here. Thanks to digital compositing, she appears to be leaning against a tree trunk: in reality, she was captured in a variety of positions, and thought they'd wind up using a sitting pose. Dark brown hair verging on black, slightly wavy and with a tendency to curl up and tangle in high humidity, which will be coming to the island and doesn't dare to approach within ten miles of the studio. Gray eyes, set slightly deeper than normal, and the picture accentuates this: she seems to be perpetually looking out through private shadows. Nose small and sharp, chin a little stronger than usual, ears hidden. Breasts oversize for her frame. It's hard to get an impression of the rest of her body because she's wearing very loose clothing (other than where it's tight across the chest): light beige top, long-sleeved, and light blue pants, both cotton. (The shoes, not visible in this shot, are about as close to moccasins as sneakers ever get, and the thin socks are high. The idea for the outfit as a whole was maximum protection from bug bites. It helped.) Limbs could be average, muscular, or stick-thin: there's no way to tell among the excess of fabric. Height is equally impossible to accurately judge: she's 5'2", but somehow comes across as taller, and you would never get the true number from the context of the picture. Hands are long-fingered and have numerous small, old scars across the knuckles: you have to know to look for them or have your eyes on just the right spot at the right time, but this is someone who's been in fights, winner undetermined. As this is a publicity shot, taken well before mainstream filming began, there was no buff, and none has been edited in. Her loyalties, if any, will remain hidden.

The picture was on the screen for about eight seconds. Closed captioning, used to keep the lines from clashing with each other, provided the context. 'Alex Cole, from Haledon, New Jersey. Our first cartoonist. One of the -- odder characters we've had on the show. It was hard to tell who she was playing against.'

The photo vanishes. Jeff and Connie Chung in the studio. Connie is speaking now. 'An alliance jumper?' She's trying to look as if she knows what the words coming out of her mouth might mean. Her chance of clue existence is, at best, a fifty-fifty shot.

Back to Jeff, whose face is trying not to give anything away. 'Us,' he says simply, 'or them.' And then the next picture came up. Kesel. I hadn't known Kesel very well.

So -- today. As of today, you can admit you were a contestant. You cannot talk about how far you went, who you were with, what you did, any of the pre-game briefings and preparations. You can only admit to those episode by episode, confirming what the public sees after they see it, or expanding on it at your own risk. Say too much, and it'll cost you more than you ever could have won. Today, you are a Survivor contestant, something only a few hundred people in a country of a few hundred million have ever achieved. For now, you can say that, and no more.

Not that I had anyone to say it to.

For about five seconds.

The woman ahead of me had glanced back when I'd gotten in line, briefly expressed her disdain in eyebrows and lip curl before facing forward again, very quickly. Best not to look at people who didn't carry thousand-dollar handbags (or quality knockoffs of same) to pick up a few items which the maid had clearly forgotten. They might be contagious.

But now she was looking again, forcing herself to move across the borders starting from glance, going quickly across stare, and stopping at outright survey, visibly comparing and contrasting until she came up with an answer she didn't like.

"You," she half-snorted, "were on that?" Pointed at the screen.

Well. Okay. Earlier than I'd ever really expected, as in So much for 'never'. I tried it out. Nodded, two slight head movements.

"Well," with a glance at my shopping cart, and a full snort this time, "clearly you didn't win." And immediately back to facing forward.

Clearly.

And for the first time in months, Jeff echoed at the back of my head. "Clearly."
Before
Luggage inspection.

This was, I'd been told -- presumably we'd all been told, but we were being kept isolated from each other, I wasn't sure I'd seen any other contestants -- not going to be a single-outfit season. We weren't going to be allowed to bring a full wardrobe, but in the interest of viewer interest, any fashion parade we decided to hold would be allowed to proceed for at least a block. As such, we'd been told to pack 'normally' for a tropical zone, trusting in the production staff to remove any contraband before we were sent on our way. The inspector was a gray-haired woman in her early fifties who appeared to have been constructed out of a child's alphabet blocks. Her nose formed the J.

"You don't get this," she sneered, pulling the lightweight waterproof poncho out of the array on the hotel bed. "People like to see you jerks suffer in the rain: we've got ratings that back it up." She clearly would have taken it even if the ratings had encouraged things going the other way. Power corrupts: petty power corrupts all out of proportion to actual power. "Is that your swimsuit?"

"Yes." Bright red one-piece, coverage from neck to thighs, a little more in common with a wetsuit than casual beachwear. Tighter than I'd wanted, as in 'it fits and I have to wear it in public.' Black was discouraged because it looked bad on land, blue discouraged because it was hard to shoot against the ocean. The briefing book had been full of helpful fashion hints, none of which remotely mentioned the illegality of ponchos.

"The viewers like to see bikinis," she harshly said as she pulled out the anti-bug bracelet that I'd known wouldn't pass for conventional jewelry.

"The viewers can pay for it."

Clouded brown eyes came up, locked into mine for no longer than necessary to convey the spite. "If that's what you're playing," she shot back with clear disbelief. "Whatever..." Into the blouses now. I got to keep four, including the lightweight cotton that I'd been praying to have -- it was my best bet against insect invasion -- and, much to my surprise, a single sweater and a thin jacket were added to the list. "No jeans?"

"No chafing," I replied. Everyone remembered Rupert, didn't they?

"No skirts," she sneered again. "No shorts..."

"We'll all be trading clothes anyway." Bugs get under skirts and don't even have to try for shorts.

"You dress like a boy," she decided before moving on to the proof that I wasn't. All the panties cleared. Sanitary items didn't. "You'll get those on request," she said. "Your choice of whatever you usually use," clearly unhappy about the unwarranted attention to contestant comfort. "You also," she added, "get birth control if you -- 'want' -- it, and condoms are available." Reading from the internal script now, hatred dripping off every line.

"I understand." Pass.

Bras. She just stared at them for a while. They were the crystallized financial embodiment of my goal: make six days. No one wanted to be the first one out, but I needed the larger check just to justify the custom sports work. (It hadn't been $2500 by any means, but it had stung. Every expenditure hurt, and if you put together everything I'd spent and lost by going on the show, the last-place check would probably mean I'd come very close to paying for the honor of my own humiliation.) She clearly didn't want to pass them through -- the viewers probably liked to make snide remarks, too -- but there was no way to consider them illegal: eventually, she just decided to let me keep four. The fifth was added to the pile of stuff I'd get back once I was out of the game.

The moccasin-sneakers that were for everyday wear: pass. One set of cheap beach sandals for going into the water in rocky areas: pass. She pointed to the sketchbook and attached pencils. "That's your luxury item?" I nodded. "Lucky you. Burnett's actually letting you -- people -- keep them this season. You'll get it after you hit the beach." As with everything else except whatever we were wearing onto the final boat. All the luggage would be waiting for us on the beach. There was no guarantee that it wouldn't be re-sorted first. "You should have designated the bug bracelet."

"It's only good for a month." Less with water exposure. "That would have been legal?"

A false smile showing tobacco-stained teeth. "No." Sorting socks. "You think you'll make a month? Cute..." And done.

Or not. "Okay. Let's see what you're wearing now."

Oh, hell. "You can see what I'm wearing now from here."

More mirth, not quite as faked this time. "That's why the women get a female inspector, sweetheart. You're on the first boat in ten minutes. You're not getting away with anything extra because we didn't check your fashion choice for the day. That's how Osten almost got the liquor through. Do you think we don't learn?"

No, and that's why I'll be screwing over the people who come after me. I'm the only one who can get away with this -- if I do. "Fine. Whatever." I turned in a slow circle.

She shook her head. "Take them off."

I glared at her. We had just passed petty abuse and stepped into the very large land of Looking For A Butt-Kicking, and my hands were acknowledging the transition with a slow clench.

She knew she'd just crossed the line, and even though she outweighed me by a good eighty pounds, she didn't like what was waiting on the other side of it. "Fine. Kick off your shoes and I'll pat you down." I kept staring at her. "It's that or you forfeit your place and we call in the first alternate. Look, sweetheart -- you don't have anything we're not going to strategically blur out for the viewers the first time you try to sneak off and wash up." Very amused by that. "Either I check you out or you go home. Pick one."

It was fast, semi-professional, and completely humiliating. Done.

Wrong. "You have something around your neck under the blouse. Take it out."

Damn. I reached under the collar and pulled out the chain, followed by the cross.

She looked at it closely. "Little big, isn't it?"

The chain was longer than I'd wanted, but it had been a last-minute addition to the cross itself (which had taken too much time to get) and where the cross hung down to didn't matter as long as it was under my clothing and against fabric: no problems there. The cross was big: five inches tall, three across. The looseness of the blouse had hidden it until the pat-down. "I have a lot of faith."

Maybe it came out too dry. "That's not a token, that's almost a weapon." She started reaching out for it.

I strained not to step back. "Personal jewelry is allowed at the contestant's own risk for loss or damage, neither of which the show will stand responsible for," and that was a quote from the briefing book. "Each contestant may have earrings, a necklace, and a ring, up to three pairs for the first, one piece for the second, two for the third provided one of them is a wedding or engagement ring." She'd stopped moving, her hand frozen six inches from the metal. "I have no rings and my ears aren't pierced. This is my jewelry and this is what I choose to have faith in."

She wanted to take the cross. I could see it in her eyes. She wanted to do anything that would make me feel bad and weaken me mentally for whatever waited ahead. But she also couldn't break the rules someone else had set, and she couldn't do anything about small religious pieces. It had been in the briefing book. A prayer mat is not a luxury item. If you absolutely needed something for your faith and it had no other use in the game, it went through. (Bibles had uses other than the obvious -- you could write in them, for starters -- and they weren't essential to practice the religion, so they were still luxury items.) Ibrehem had forced that change. Good for Ibrehem. If she went any further, she was stepping on her own rulebook and the First. Problem.

"Fine," she spat. "Keep your stupid cross. We'll see how far it takes you." Angry, eyes flashing, feet thudding against the thin carpet as she turned to leave with her gathered excess and contraband. "God doesn't come to our islands, little girl -- and if he did, we'd toss him out for interfering with the game. You're not going to pray your way to the Final Two."

I was quiet until she was out the door, well into the time it would take her to reach the elevator and get in, plus a little extra for safety -- and then I finally allowed myself the single head shake.
------------------------------------------------------------------
{CBS finally updated. Everyone go see!}

{Ladies and gentlemen, presenting Alex Cole, Woman Of Mystery. This is the whole of her information sheet. Brace yourselves for the absolute flood of data:

Marital status: Single.
Hometown: Haledon, NJ.

Favorites:

Color: Grayscale
Scent: None
Flower: Dandelion
Board Game: None
Video Game: None
Sports to Play: None
Sports Teams: Mets, Red Bulls
Outdoor Activities: Walking
TV Shows: The Amazing Race
Movie: Moscow on the Hudson
Actor: John Goodman
Actress: Katherine Hepburn
Music: "Spider" John Koerner
Magazine: None
Books/Author: The Glory Of Their Times, Lawrence S. Ritter
Cereal: None
Fruit: Green seedless grapes
Snack Food: Raisins
Cookie: Peanut butter
Candy Bar: None
Alcoholic Drink: None
Non-Alcoholic: Pure water

Alex is self-employed, making a living by selling ad space on her webcomic site, along with self-published books of her collected works and pieces of commissioned art. She has won five Web Cartoonist's Choice awards, including Outstanding Newcomer, Outstanding Layout, and Outstanding New Character Design during the five years the strip has been online. She has come on the show, in her own words, 'to see how far she can go.' Her birthdate is September 15th.

And that's it. Quiet much?}

{Alert the astrology thread: we've got a Virgo.}

{Well, give her credit for guts. You generally don't come on Burnett's show and say you love TAR the most...}

{Folk jazz blues and an ancient baseball book at twenty-three? Everybody sing: She's out of touch, she's out of time...}

{At least she's not stuck thinking nothing happened before she was born. Anyone come to mind on that? Anyone...?}

{Nice head shot. She looks so happy to be there.}

{Oh, gods -- another radical fundie Xian. Look at the group shot. Have you ever seen a cross that big? Luxury item: endless babble about the saving power of Jebuzz. Just wait.}

{So where's the Bible to bash people over the head with?}

{Probably copied it word for word inside the sketchbook.}

{Sighting: I live in Wayne, and I saw her walking up the hill towards the college, trudging with three bags of groceries and two of water. I actually swung back to make sure it was her. There were a couple of cars honking at her, but I don't know if it's because they recognized her or because it's just a really narrow shoulder and they were afraid she'd fall off. Couldn't stop to ask her anything. If I see her around where we're both on foot, I'll see if I can get anything out of her.}

{Maybe they were trying to make her fall off.}

{Any significant weight loss?}

{Not this many months after. She looked like her photo, right down to the neutral expression. I guess she didn't win the car...}

{She said she likes walking.}

{Dude, no one walks that hill if they have a car.}

{The car isn't delivered until after the episode where it's won gets aired, so the point's moot.}

{Three days to the premiere and she's a mortal lock for ninth place on my PTTE.}

{So now you think she makes the jury?}

{Hey, I can switch as much as I like until the opening credits start.}

{Yeah, but fifteen times?}
During
Blind.

Ears are not eyes. Artists -- even cartoonists -- constantly look at the world to decide which parts of it to capture/distort for their own purposes. Listening isn't the same thing, doesn't become anywhere near as good even with an unknown amount of boredom time to work at it. Of anticipation, mystery, wondering what's happening around me. Mostly boredom. Some fear. I can't see, I don't know where I'm going or who's with me or what's about to happen, I'm not allowed to move from this spot or speak, and I can't see...

They put the blindfold on before I was allowed to board the final ship. The first twist. We all know the general destination, but not the specific. None of us know who's sitting around us. They did a great job of keeping us from each other. What was the saying about the old Red Sox? Twenty-five men, twenty-five cabs? We might have been sixteen contestants, sixteen hotels.

I think there's sixteen of us. I can't know for sure.

Listen. Strain. We're on the deck of the ship. I don't know how big it is. I know it's got a pretty good motor because that's most of what I hear unless I make an effort to block out. Every so often, there's the faint whirring of cameras, but only when they get very close. They must want some travel shots.

I'm sitting, seat-belted into place inside a bowl chair, with the railing right behind me: I reached out before we were officially told not to move, and it was the only thing I made contact with. Every so often, the boat goes over a wave and splashes a little water up: the back of my head is damp and a little itchy with salt. The occasional shuffling sound to both sides tells me the others are having trouble resisting the urge to scratch, too.

Footsteps here and there, the crew and production people moving. Once -- just once -- a soft "I can't take this..." somewhere off ahead and to the left, which was quickly followed by a very loud "No talking!" The voice was female and had a Southern accent.

On my immediate left, shallow, slow breathing, each inhale a declaration of war against fear. Someone is very nervous, afraid of the dark, the ocean, or the mystery. You'd think it would be hard to pick out the smell of sweat against the ocean, but it can be done. Or he's just sweating that heavily. I'm pretty sure this is a man: there's a twinge of cheap cologne in the mix.

To the right: deeper breaths, slow, steady, almost measured. Maybe another male, or at least someone on the tall side: the efforts come across as -- well, large. Not sure, though. The efforts are very rhythmic in a casual way. Close to meditation, I think.

Every so often, the ship's horn goes off. I think someone is trying to make us jump in our seats. It works every time.

I don't know how long we've been out here, or how fast we're going, or when we're going to stop.

I wish I had my watch on. They took it before they put the blindfold on, the last confiscation. The only time you're on once you reach the island is Production Time. No timepieces allowed as luxury items, unless you really want a broken watch so you can have the comfort of knowing what time it is twice a day, even though you're not sure when that is. But just the weight of the cheap plastic strap on my wrist would make me feel better, let me know time was passing at a standard measured pace instead of this shaky subjective one.

They attached a wire to the back of the blindfold after I sat down -- I felt it briefly against my neck -- and then it sounded like they fastened it to the back of the chair. I think what's going to happen is that when Jeff gives the signal, the belts will come off, and we'll all stand up at once and the blindfolds will break away. We'll all see each other for the first time in a single instant and probably have about half a second to figure everyone else out before they either assign tribes or make us decide for ourselves. It'll be a great shot if they do it right. Easy to picture, although I'm having a hard time keeping contestant faces constant. Images of former players keep intruding into the new imaginary faces I want to use. At one point, I had fifteen Jon Daltons and nearly gave up on the spot.

We're moving pretty fast. The wind is strong on my side, and then to the front.

And then it's slowing down.

And stopping.

The motor cuts out.

Footsteps, lots of footsteps. People moving onto the deck. Two splashes: something large and possibly flat hitting the water: sounds like a pair of giant belly flops. Production crew padding lifeboats out to the island, beating us there so they can get the arrival shots?

More movement. The whirring of the cameras, heavy in my ears with the motor having stopped. Distant birds. And --

-- Jeff.

Listen. These words will be crucial.

"We're floating two miles offshore of Yanini in the Society Islands grouping. This large, verdant isle has just passed back into local control after spending several decades as the exclusive home of a reclusive billionaire." Jeff's into this: you can hear it. He loves getting 'exclusive' and 'reclusive' that close together. "This place, considered to be cursed by many of the locals, was used as a private garden by that figure, who used it to stock and grow plant life from around the world, creating his own personal idea of Eden --" dramatic pause "-- and Hell." Another pause. There would probably be a few shots inserted into it later.

"The island was stocked with not only plant life, but animal. Creatures from all over the planet were brought here -- to meet their deaths. He liked to hunt, and he gave himself the challenge of a lifetime by importing the strongest game known to keep his interests fresh." A little louder, "According to local legend, that game included humans -- and their ghosts still haunt this strange place."

Another pause. To my left and right, the sounds of people tensing. We'd read about the private garden and wild variety of plants in the briefing book. This was the first time anyone or anything had mentioned hunting. Secrets, always secrets right from the beginning...

"The dangerous animals are gone now, the billionaire dead, and the mansion he built has fallen into disrepair --" and would be used as the base for the production staff "-- but the island will soon be the home for the most dangerous animal of all: man."

Some sharp inhales all over the deck. This was it. This was us...

"From all over the country, sixteen Americans have been gathered. They don't know anything about each other. They've never even seen each other. But if they want to survive here, they're going to have to work together to form a new society -- while at the same time, competing against each other. In the end, only one can reach the end and claim the million-dollar prize."

Another pause. More tensing. Muscles almost starting to cramp now. We now know there's sixteen of us. It's more information than we've had in the entire show, which is very clearly under way.

"Who will be the hunters? Who will be the prey? In this deceptively peaceful setting, who will tap into the secrecy, danger, and violence that lie under the surface and ride them all to a triumphant conclusion?" I'd never heard his voice so rich. It's a lot stronger close up, and the joy is perfectly audible under the drama. He's looking forward to this.

And then the movement starts. The seat is -- rotating? The direction of the salt scent is changing: I'm being turned around to face the sea. And the chair is rising in the air.

Wriggling. Small panic. Something is happening. They're going to do something... Gasps all around me, startlement, fear. We've been had, all of us, and in a few seconds, we're going to find out exactly how...

"Sixteen Americans -- thirty-nine days -- one -- Survivor!"

And silence.

Someone -- male, very young, excitedly says "We've got it! One take, Jeff! We're clear to go!"

The chair is very high now. There's a breeze against my legs.

"Okay," Jeff says. "Let them go!"

The seat tilts forward.

The seat belt comes apart.

I fall, and the blindfold comes off, and the first image of a new life is water rushing up to meet my eyes...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Thrashing. Which way is up? The screams don't help: they're distorted by the water and all around. Twist, try to orient. I want to breathe. I didn't get anything in before I hit, and I want to breathe, but I don't know which way is up yet and if I try to breathe now, surrounded by that which gave life to all, it's going to take the dubious gift back on the spot and --

-- I'm going to die --

-- unless I can find a direction, the one that leads to air, and thrashing around under the waves is leading nowhere, and all around/above? me are screams of fright and surprise and perhaps even victory, and none of it can be homed in on --

-- stop moving.

Complete and utter stop.

A second -- and then my back is lightly tugged in one direction while the cross falls to the opposite.

Humans are naturally buoyant if they stop to try for it. That's up. Go for it.

Pushing, lungs screaming, the clear water getting a little lighter, and then --

-- breathe! Air! Sweet air, the best taste I've ever experienced, keep it up, inhale and exhale, inhale again because it feels so very good, look around --

-- chaos.

There are sixteen of us. I can see nine from here. We were at the front of the boat, which points out into a sharp apex, and we were all dumped off from about fifteen feet up. Some of the cries are of pain: at least two people hit the water badly, male and female, the notes clashing badly with each other. One older man is helping a younger one stay afloat. In the water around us are rescue divers, waiting just in case something goes too far wrong. None of them are moving. The pain isn't on a level that concerns them. Past them, camera operators, filming from the ship and silently floating small boats and, in scuba gear, beneath the waves. There's one ten feet in front of me and four down. I want to kick him.

Splashing. Forty feet in front of me, the last head breaks the surface: an older woman, gasping for breath. She's having trouble staying afloat, can't calm down enough to put the effort in the right places. I head for her without being quite sure why, get an arm out. She's surprisingly heavy and clutching at me, she's trying to sink herself and take a guest along to the final party, she's screaming in my ear and some of it has to be a last prayer...

"Stop flailing!", and that scream is mine. "Just stop moving and I can tow you!"

She freezes. Her eyes narrow with hatred. Apparently no one's ever told her what to do before. The grip on my arm tightens -- but then she stops struggling and comes all the way up to the surface. I tow her along. She's taking a lot of strength to drag, and she's contributing nothing.

Swimming. We're nearly all swimming now, at least practically all of us can swim excepting my waterborne leech, but we don't have a goal. There are sixteen of us (and I've moved far enough to count them all now when I look around: there are only two behind me, one male, one female, so I was near the back of the row), but not a single idea on what to do next. The island is two miles away, the green heights easily visible, but while we can all swim, we can't all swim two miles, and some of us are going to need those rescue divers very, very soon...

Someone cries out. Once, then twice, excited. "Rafts! Rafts!"

I look.

Two of them, about ten feet square, one a God-awful gaudy beacon of orange, the other a somber-only-by-comparison purple, first and third base on the diamond for distance apart, with the boat somewhere in center field. Everyone begins to make for them immediately. Some are swimming faster than others: even with the dead weight, I pass someone as I push out for the havens, the rafts about two hundred feet away. Some going to orange, some to purple. We're dividing ourselves. Some are glancing to see who's occupying a given raft before either heading for it or trying for the other. These will be the tribes. Somewhere, someone is shouting "Only eight! Only eight to a raft!", and I wonder what will happen if we overload one. Conceivably they'll tip both rafts over and tell us to start again.

Closer now, passing someone else, didn't get a good look at them. Five people on the purple and four on the orange, seven still in the water. Getting close to where I'll have to veer off for one or the other, and the weight is really dragging now, my shoulder registering pain and little else, time to make a decision, time to --

-- turn a corner and meet your fate --

Orange or purple.

Choose.

That shade of orange is offensive to anyone with working eyes. I head for the purple.

I get about fifty feet -- to the midpoint between the rafts -- and then the weight goes away. I look back, and the older woman is swimming strongly for the orange platform, as far away from me as possible, pushing using her withheld strength to reach her new fellows.

Fine. Now I'm really glad I went with purple.

Tired. Hurting. Swimming for the raft, but the strokes are faltering. There's an element of shock starting to work here, the environment changing too much too fast, and while I think I can make the raft, of course I can make the raft, I can really feel the weight of the clothes now, the shoes that I didn't kick off because I'd need them later, I'm more worn out than I thought I'd be, and my nose is coming closer to the waves than I thought it would on the downstrokes...

Splash, just ahead. Look up. I've closed to under a hundred feet and someone just jumped off the raft: a tall, older black man, hair shot with gray, eyes surrounded by fine lines, already with a two-day supply of salt-and-pepper beard. He swims up to me in something of a hurry, crossing seventy feet before I can make thirty. "Let me help you in!" he shouts, seeming to hover in front of me.

"I'm okay," I say back, not yelling. I don't have the strength for yelling now. "Save your strength."

"You're not!" he insists. "You were towing an anchor for half a football field! Let me help you!"

Well, fine. If he's that determined to play hero. I let him take my arm and lead the way, but I insist on kicking and one-arm crawl stroking my way along. I'm not going to be dead weight. Honestly, I could have made it to the raft on my own, but it would have taken longer and if he's got strength to spare, it's his call as to where he wants to give it. I already made my charitable donation and didn't even get a 'Thank you for ripping yourself off.' Closer -- closer -- the purple is a lot worse-looking close-up --

-- he gets on first, then helps me up. I want to lie down immediately. I want to take a short nap, not because I'm completely out of strength, but because there won't be any chances later. I am more tired than I should be. Damn anchor.

I look up. "Thanks."

A brilliant smile. "No problem."

One more person got on while we were closing in. Ten breaths after reaching the raft, the final occupant makes it, and we all help him on, an elderly white male who closed in on his own slow pace, never faltering, never in trouble, just keeping it steady and turtle-like. He grins and plops down. The final two people in the water, a handsome young man and attractive young woman who seem to have been bantering while everyone else was choosing up sides, glance at each other, look surprised, a little guilty, and then seem perfectly happy to be the last ones onto the orange raft.

"There's paddles strapped to this side!" shouts a burly man -- weightlifter gone slightly to seed, more mass than definition, buzz cut, not a bit of body hair, harsh chin and hawk eyes. "Everyone grab one, and we'll start making for our beach!"

"Where is our beach?" asks a bikini model lounging in the center of the raft. Deja vu. But she does get up and move towards an edge. Not the side he's indicated: can't have everyone on one edge of the raft, but she's positioning herself to paddle. I seem to be okay where I am.

"Don't know!" the burly man calls back. "But the production people have to point us in the right direction!" He kneels down to unstrap the paddles and passes them out as he gets them. In less than a guessed minute, we've all got one -- and that's when the people on the camera boats gesture to us and start slowly motoring away. The indication is clear: that way. We follow, keeping to the right curve of the island's barely-visible shoreline. The orange raft pulls away to the left.

It is the first day. There are eight of us, and eight against us, and ultimately, every last one of us versus each other...
----------------------------------------------------
Survivor: The Society Islands

Haraiki Tribe (orange)

Robin Breslin, 27, dancer, Bronx, New York. (Luxury item: dancing shoes)
Phillip Geegaw, 34, farmer, Clay Center, Nebraska. (Luxury item: urn full of father's ashes)
Michelle Kesel, 22, floral designer, Winnfield, Louisiana. (Luxury item: scrapbook)
Connie Lastings-Adams, 42, housewife, Westhampton, New York. (Luxury item: Bible)
Angela Mistedge, 28, activist, Richmond, Virginia. (Luxury item: Go set)
Elmore Nolan, 41, computer game designer, Seattle, Washington. (Luxury item: light-up keychain)
Denadi Raven, 58, health food store owner, Cheyenne, Wyoming. (Luxury item: diary)
Tony Tirello, athlete, 28, Challis, Idaho. (Luxury item: Frisbee)

Turare Tribe (purple)

Frank "Grasshopper" Neeman, 29, pharmacist, Shamrock, Texas. (Luxury item: scales)
Alex Cole, 23, cartoonist, Haledon, New Jersey. (Luxury item: sketchbook & pencils)
Desmond Cooper, 55, construction foreman, Podunk, Massachusetts. (Luxury item: level)
Thomas Gardener, 38, personal trainer, Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Luxury item: Pilates sphere)
Mary-Jane Learner, 21, model, Los Angeles, California. (Luxury item: lipstick)
Trooper Reagan, 35, police officer, Mosquero, New Mexico. (Luxury item: ticket pad)
Gary Watson, 49, IRS agent, Washington D.C. (Luxury item: solar-powered calculator)
Trina Zolna, 32, fortune teller, Manhattan, New York. (Luxury item: tarot card deck)

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-06, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
This whole thing is bulls!t. I don't believe it.

There's not a single Western Pennsylvanian in that cast. And Burnett loves us.

Goddess of the Steeler Nation
You? are the bestest.

byoffer 13836 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-06, 02:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
There's not a single Western Pennsylvanian in that cast. And Burnett loves us.

That's because you Western Pennsylvanians remind him of his homeland Australians. You know, drunken progeny of criminals.

Defying death since 02 June 06
No offense to Geggy intended. I am half Aussie, so I mean "drunken progeny of criminals" in the nicest possible sense

oz4ever 1604 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

06-23-06, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail oz4ever Click to send private message to oz4ever Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
drunken progeny of criminals

You can get that easily by finding any footballer in Sydney.

On a side note, I wanna see some Alaskans and Hawaiians!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

06-24-06, 01:28 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
What? No Western Pennsylvanians? Clearly someone in the casting department screwed up. Who's responsible for this selection, anyway?

Oh, right. Me.

Gee. I guess I'll have to yell at myself.

(The cast is a little heavy towards the East with six people from coastal states, and weak on the West with but two. On the other hand, the center is fairly represented, and two regions that hardly ever get contestants on Survivor -- the non-Scottsdale Southwest and Northern border -- finally have people in. No one from outside the central 48 in this case, but that's in part because some of these people came in on open auditions and since when does the EPMB Traveling DAW Caravan go that far afield?)

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-06, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
Incredible Estee, keep it comin'!

RudyRules 8355 desperate attention whore postings

06-24-06, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RudyRules Click to send private message to RudyRules Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
Three cheers!
While Blowsvivor it's not, it is pretty darn good!

Youy do have a way with words. Keep it up.
Rudy's Place

kingfish 12060 desperate attention whore postings

06-24-06, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Who needs Burnett? "
Got fustrated writing the summaries, eh? Decided that you may as well an just write the story itself, I guess.

Well, Wow. and Wow.

And some very nice imagery

..the stray cat stared at me, eyes briefly luminous as they went wide with fear,...

That is is getting a little TOO close to perfection.

can't wait for more.

Who needs Burnett?

cahaya 14104 desperate attention whore postings

06-26-06, 03:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
Whether it originally comes from the Manager's Special rack or not, what you serve here is best savored, each and every word.

An Arkie Asian creation, with Foo dog images by Bob.

At least twice.

Belle Book 1925 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-31-10, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
Agreed -- although I'm not sure the story came from the Manager's Rack special. The food Alex had to eat -- yeah. The story -- maybe not. Still, it's just like the Manager's Rack specials Alex gets -- the best.

Glow 14286 desperate attention whore postings

06-30-06, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
Me likey. Keep it coming, Cookie. *meow*

Belle Book 1925 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-04-09, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part II"
Hey! I've lurked on this website and have read your story *so* many times! Now I'm finally a member and able to comment on your story. And what I have to say so far is -- your story rocks, Estee!

I'll comment on the rest of the story later on.

Belle Book

michel 6689 desperate attention whore postings

06-24-06, 04:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part I"
I like your writing style; your words have life.

TheFabulousLurker 165 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-23-06, 03:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TheFabulousLurker Click to send private message to TheFabulousLurker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Survivor: The Society Islands: Prologue, Part I"
BUMP *waves to Estee*

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •