The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-12-05, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
LAST EDITED ON 07-13-05 AT 08:34 AM (EST)

I have ADHD and I'm a total disorganized, time-abusing slob. Moving is one of the most stressful times for me as a result. This started as a rant on my blog (and a great way to waste even MORE time) but I figured I should turn it into something a little more useful and use it for the Story Competition.

It's T minus one week until I have to be out of my house. We're slated to transfer our furniture to storage on Sunday and I still have a thousand and one things to do. Why on EARTH is this so difficult? I am going to fall back into the usual trap, as always. I swear, it's just like elementary school all over again. My best laid plans for becoming the organized little student work for about two weeks. I have everything in my Trapper Keeper organized and color coded by subject. And every single year - just as the year before - I start regressing back to my old sloppy and ADHD-induced ways before we even make it to Open House night. Why I bother, I don't know.

But, as always, I always try to remain optimistic like the Little Engine that could. "I can do this", I tell myself. If I will it, it just might happen! But of course, it never does. And this is my typical moving calendar of events...

1. Three to four months prior to a move, I start planning the move down to every possible detail. I make pretty color-coordinated charts and graphs of exactly what I plan to do and when.

2. My beautiful charts and graphs mysteriously disappear.

3. Ten weeks out, I start to talk about how great I'm doing with the planning process even though I've done nothing remotely close to what was on my now missing schedule.

4. Two months out, I start actually packing things (as opposed to the packing I've been doing in my mind for the past month - "yeah, I'll put that in this box, and this I can sell..."). Of course, I don't pack the practical things that I'll never use, I pack the things I use regularly (probably because they're the only things I readily have access to on a given day). I have a thing for packing my clothes WAY too soon, which only makes a bigger mess when I have to keep unpacking and repacking every few days. I don't know why I continue to do this...I do the same for trips, too. I pack at least a month in advance of any trip I'm about to take. You'd think I was some organized freak or something.

5. A month out, I start actually thinking about how much work I have to do. Up until this point, I've deluded myself into thinking that 'this time would be different' - somehow I'd actually do what I set out to do! HA! If nothing else, it's good for a chuckle (while I'm wallowing in piles of clothing, 5 thousand dishes I never use, hundreds of long-since-expired canned goods, and about 50 years worth of paperwork that I've only ever looked at when I'm packing).

6. Three weeks out, I actually start to do some 'real' packing...packing a few things that I won't use (which I should have done a month ago) and doing a lot of moving things from one room to another. It's also during this time when I start telling people that I'm "almost done" packing. Yeah, that's a good one.

7. Two weeks out, I start gathering boxes and saying things like "oh, yes, this will be so simple...it's not like I have a zillion things to pack" - possibly as a form of reassurance - but, it's most certainly delusional at best. In the process of gathering boxes and contemplating what's going to go in each box, I tape the bottoms of all of them, knowing full well that it will only add to the already trashed living space. The walking path gets considerably smaller.

8. Ten days out, I start running around all frantic-like, wondering how I got to this point yet again. I have an entire house to pack and I've managed to pack the crap under the sink that is never used, the clothes that I haven't worn in 7 years, and the stuff that I've set aside for my travels. I have fifty people to call about cancelling things, transferring things, scheduling things, and I can't remember five minutes later who I'm supposed to call.

9. A week out, I realize that there is absolutely no way in Hades that I'll be able to finish this monumental task without cutting corners. Cutting corners includes throwing random things into random boxes. This is what I like to call "fevered packing". I know I won't be able to sort the things out the way I'd neatly planned out nearly a year ago, so I just start filling boxes with whatever I can get my hands on, be that laundry, random useless papers, busted computer disks, toy particles, bottles of lotion that explode and ruin everything in said box.

10. A few days out, I start to relax, thinking that somehow, a magic moving fairy will come in and finish my job for me. Yes, I actually think that somehow the job will get done despite me and my hurricane-styled tactics. I need serious help.

11. MOVING DAY! I haven't slept since the day I started dreaming about magic moving fairies. I have to actually, like, clean the bathroom and kitchen. See, if I had been cleaning all this time, I could have blamed the magic moving fairy visions on the fumes. No such luck. I'm probably more sane once I've had my head inside the Easy-Off caked oven for a few hours, anyway. Have I mentioned how much cleaning and I do not get along?

12. About six hours into moving day, I sit down to eat about fifty pounds of chocolate and rock back and forth in a cobweb-filled corner somewhere. I think I just sat on a thumbtack, but I'm in such a daze right now that I can't be sure. Someone hold me.

It happens every.single.time. I cannot get out of this horrible cycle. I desperately need a 12-step program or some sort of top secret 'clean camp'.

Oh...and if there happens to be a magic moving fairy out there, please...make yourself known. I will pay in an endless supply of four-year-old canned goods, boxed pasta, hangers, and ready-taped boxes.

*etf glaring typos

Got blog?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the chart... cahaya 07-12-05 1
 RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the chart... universityofkentuckyrocks 07-12-05 2
 RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the chart... seahorse 07-13-05 3
 RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the chart... zombiebaby 07-14-05 4
 RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the chart... Outfrontgirl 07-22-05 5
 RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the chart... syren 08-07-05 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 14104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-12-05, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
Your narrative was fun to read! There's that feeling of getting closer to the edge as the months, then weeks, then days, then hours go by and suddenly it's moving day. Eek! Most of us dread moving, although it gives the opportunity to get organized into a new place once and for all (but not when there are random things in random boxes!). I liked reading this story... just the right mix of realism, optimism, irony, humor, and wit.

"Timeless at lightspeed."

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

universityofkentuckyrocks 2560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-12-05, 10:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
I have two learning dissability and that is one of the things I have. I can be like that too. I was cleaning out my messey (a practical teen) room which were about too recarpet and paint. I found all kinds of crap. I know the pain of not being able too organized. I'm thankful that I got too go to a school for learning dissability and now I am getting good grades and never forget homework, though my locker was messy.

UL will always suck in my book!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-05, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
Your story is why I hate to move. I haven't done so in over 20 years. Loved your story.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

zombiebaby 7021 desperate attention whore postings

07-14-05, 12:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
A PM summary only about her moving and not a tV show!

This is a joy to read to know I am not the only one! I love the narrative. Very easy to read and flowing and humorous!

Look at me I got a Sweet Summer Syren Siggie!

Outfrontgirl 5470 desperate attention whore postings

07-22-05, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
Emjoyed this a lot and related big time ... having moved six times in the last 3 years, three of them temporary moves where I had to pick out just the essentials and store the rest. I find it mentally painful to sort things.

I know how to do it but I just hate actually doing it. I think I hate the unpacking more than the packing, if possible. Sorting while packing is just putting things into categories for boxes. While unpacking they have to be sorted back into life in a new space that I haven't adjusted to yet.

Right now I am procrastinating while my file cabinet sits with the boxes on top of it holding the disorganized papers that belong in the cabinet. I would really really like to know where my papers are ... but I would rather go outside and plant some flowers or get several teeth pulled than to straighten them out.

LOL at all the charts. My moves have been preceded by so much time house-hunting or escrows from hell that I don't pack at all until maybe two weeks prior. I delay as long as possible taking my home apart. Once the things that make it a home start to come down I go into packing frenzy though, because I want to get out of there.

Moving sucks, even without a learning disorder (which I probably have but haven't labeled). Are you unpacked yet?

Hint: don't pack and unpack the clothes not worn for 7 years. Not if you move a lot.
All those not on TV have only themselves to blame ~ Jackson Browne

syren 5414 desperate attention whore postings

08-07-05, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: SSC5 (NF) It's all in the charts"
This was such a joy to read.

Thank you.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •