The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-08-05, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
This was just published in a new print magazine called NOÖ Journal. Thought I'd share.

Thicket

Through the window, I see the police. Lots of them, trampling down the blackberry brambles. Something reeks. I started to smell it a couple of days ago, but I convinced myself I was imagining things. It was in the 70's, then. Now, the thermometer is pushing ninety degrees and there's no mistaking the smell of decay.

Jack has been gone for eleven days this time. He's never been gone longer than three. I never called the police, though. Every night, on returning from my shift at Wal-Mart, I expected, or perhaps only hoped, to hear his stereo blaring.

The thorny vines are much too thick for the uniformed men to wade through. They've started hacking away at the mass with electric hedge trimmers. In response to the whine of the motors, the two German Shepherds strain harder at their leashes.

Jack often disappears for a day or two. During the summer, it's not as obvious — the school doesn't call to report an unexcused absence. Last time, he turned up at his father's. It would have been nice for Scott to have called me when he first arrived, but he assumed I knew Jack was there.

The men are getting close to the center of the thicket. Several of them are holding their hands over their mouths, I'd assume to filter out the smell.

I pick up the phone and dial Scott's number. Holding the receiver, I walk out onto my deck to watch the men's progress. The phone rings six times, seven. No answer.

They have created a small clearing now. There's definitely something on the ground. Four of the men have donned gloves and masks. Each takes a hold of something. They trudge out of the vines, bearing their load.

The dogs are frantic, and I can barely hear one of the cops yell to another outside the clearing, "It's a deer!"

A deer. I exhale and slowly move to the kitchen, removing my red vest from a chair where I draped it last night. I'm late for my shift.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket syren 07-11-05 1
 RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket universityofkentuckyrocks 07-12-05 2
 RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket PhoenixMons 07-13-05 3
   RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket SherpaDave 07-13-05 4
       RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket PhoenixMons 07-13-05 5
           RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket SherpaDave 07-13-05 6
               RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket PhoenixMons 07-13-05 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

syren 5414 desperate attention whore postings

07-11-05, 08:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
I know this is a non-entry...but wanted to say thanks for sharing it Sherps.

Wonderfully written.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

universityofkentuckyrocks 2560 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-12-05, 04:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail universityofkentuckyrocks Click to send private message to universityofkentuckyrocks Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
Thanks for sharing Sherpa.

UL will always suck in my book!

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-13-05, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
I really like how you switch back and forth between the thicket scene and the details about Jack.

Congrats on the publication!

And happy belated b-day, too!

07-13-05, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
Thanks. (And thanks for the b-day wishes, too. I thought everyone had forgotten. *sniff*)

07-13-05, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
Ha! I would've said something earlier, 'cept I was loading and unloading a U-Haul from 9 a.m. until 10 p.m. on Sunday! Yikes!

Got blog?

07-13-05, 03:08 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
Yikes is right! All moved in now?

07-13-05, 03:23 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Non-Entry FF: Thicket"
Mostly. Dh decided that he's going to stay in the house until after he gets back from AZ, so that means less stress for me and he doesn't have to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks (or more). He was originally supposed to leave a few days after getting back to NY, but it's been moved back at least a week. But yeah, we're mostly moved out. I do still have to clean the house and go through a lot of papers, though. A few other odds and ends, but we managed to get most of it done on Sunday. Whew! Only two more days until the big trip!

Got blog?

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •