The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Summer Story Competition 5"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-20-05, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Summer Story Competition 5"
LAST EDITED ON 07-01-05 AT 03:35 PM (EST)

Wow. This is the fifth one of these already? And that's just the summer ones. We've also had three winter ones. So... here are the rules a little bit early, so y'all can start working on your masterpieces:

This year's contest will run from July 1st to July 31st. I'm just copying and pasting a bunch of the rules because it's easier and I'm a slacker.

The Rules

We will have seven voting categories and two non-voting categories.

The Voting Categories

Non-Fiction(NF) - Stories from your real life. Examples: Funny stories, romance, horror (we all have those), or whatever else you want to tell us from your life.

Creative Writing has been divided into four categories since it receives so many entries.

Flash Fiction(FF) - Short short stories should be posted here. I'd offer a word count guideline, but that's a pain in the butt for people to keep track of. Generally, if your story can fit on one page without scrolling, it's Flash. For those who write in Word, there's a tool that gives you a word count. Generally, anything under 1000 words is considered Flash.

Short Stories(SS) - Any fiction that is longer than Flash should be posted here.

Humor(HU) - I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Top Ten Lists should be entered in this category as well.

Persona Narrative(PN) - A story based on your online persona or others'. However, you can include others only with their express permission. If you include someone without his or her permission, your story will be removed from the competition. Chat transcripts, Epics and anything else involving poster personas goes in here. There will be a blanket permission thread posted. Entries in this category are always hugely popular.

Poetry has also been divided into two categories since it receives so many entries.

Free Verse(FV) - Poetry that doesn't rhyme should be posted in this category.

Rhyming Poetry(RP) - Poetry that does rhyme should go here.

Visual Art has been divided into three categories, by request (actually, the request was for two categories, but there are many types of visual art that don't fall into either of the two suggested categories, i.e., OFG's garden, so a catch-all category should cover those; I'd hate to miss out on them for lack of a category).

Painting/Drawing(PD) - Paintings and drawings should both be entered in this category, regardless of medium.

Photography(PH) - Artistic photography should be entered in this category. To be fair, I'd like to suggest not allowing pictures of one's children into this category. I'd love to see pictures of posters' kids, of course, but I'd rather see them on OT.

Visual Art(VA) - Visual art that doesn't fit into either of the two above categories should be entered in this category.

The Non-Voting Categories

Exercises(EX) - If you have writing exercises that you'd like to share, please post them in this category. We all can use a push when combating writer's block.

In-Progress(IP) - If you have a piece that you're still working on and you'd like serious in-depth feedback, post in this category. This can be hugely helpful for any writer who really wants to polish a specific piece.

Here is how the competition will be run. Create your work for whichever category you want. You may submit previously posted works, but they must be resubmitted under the following guidelines. Start a new thread for each work. This way we can all tell you how wonderful you are. The Subject line should indicate the category and submission title in the following format.

SSC5(NF) "Title of story" (Substitute the NF with the proper category that your work falls into.)

You may not submit works that were entered into previous Summer Story Competitions or the Winter Story Competitions. Once again, there will be a limit of two entries per category. Please understand that all writings are welcome even if they aren’t for the SSC, and this is certainly true year 'round. If you want to post more than two per category, choose the best two and enter them, and then post the rest without a tag.

Voting/Winning

The contest will run from July 1 to July 31. On August 1 (or thereabouts), all submitted works will be categorized and posted on a ballot. The voting will then begin. Voting will run from August 1 through August 8 and winners will be announced August 9 (give or take a day or two). To avoid hurt feelings, the voting will take place through email and will be kept confidential. Everyone will get to vote. Votes should be mailed to me (and I'll post an email address when the time comes). Please vote for a first through third place winner in each category.

The first through third-place winners of each category receives nothing but Blowies. I may also be awarding another Salman Rushdie Award to the person that best personifies the spirit of the contest that didn't win a specific Blowie.

That's it. I hope that everyone participates. I also encourage everyone to reply to the entries. I know that some people have a hard time with one-sentence “great story” type replies, but in this case it is important to give encouragement. It isn’t easy for most people to post this type of thing and in most cases a lot of work went into it.

Above all, have fun! There are many tremendously talented people on these boards. I'll bet you're one of them and I'd bet even more that you'll love the stuff everyone else posts.

(edited because I had the wrong labeling instructions)

Dave writesDave editsDave blogs

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Summer Story Competition 5 KObrien_fan 06-23-05 1
   RE: Summer Story Competition 5 SherpaDave 06-28-05 2
 RE: Summer Story Competition 5 frankz 06-29-05 3
 Subject line should be SSC5? cahaya 07-01-05 4
   RE: Subject line should be SSC5? SherpaDave 07-01-05 5
       RE: Subject line should be SSC5? syren 07-01-05 6
           RE: Subject line should be SSC5? SherpaDave 07-01-05 7
           RE: Subject line should be SSC5? cahaya 07-01-05 8
 RE: Summer Story Competition 5 seahorse 07-04-05 9
 Bump Molaholic 07-23-05 10
 RE: Summer Story Competition 5 Outfrontgirl 07-24-05 11
   RE: Summer Story Competition 5 SherpaDave 07-25-05 12
       RE: Summer Story Competition 5 Outfrontgirl 07-25-05 13
 RE: Summer Story Competition 5 cahaya 08-01-05 14
   RE: Summer Story Competition 5 SherpaDave 08-01-05 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings

06-23-05, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
Yeah, it's back! Thanks for doing this Dave. Will you be starting a PN permission thread in OT some time soon?

Please sign up for my Survivor Trivia Game, it starts July 5th.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

06-28-05, 07:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
D'oh! Missed this post somehow. Thanks for starting the thread!

frankz 1024 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-29-05, 08:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
Looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll remember to subit this time. DOH!!!
I'll show those peeps who picked me as one of the non-writers.

Like my new siggie? Seana made it for me. She's nice!

cahaya 14104 desperate attention whore postings

07-01-05, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Subject line should be SSC5?"
Hi, Dave,

The Subject line should indicate the category and submission title in the following format. SSC4(NF) "Title of story" (Substitute the NF with the proper category that your work falls into.)

Just a quick question. Shouldn't the entries be submitted with the subject line with SSC5 instead of SSC4? Perhaps you may have forgotten to edit that part of it.

There's already one NF entry by syren, so maybe the subject line can be changed for it, too?

"Timeless at lightspeed."

07-01-05, 03:37 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Subject line should be SSC5?"
Yeah, I noticed that as soon as I saw syren's entry. D'oh! Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I can't edit subject lines (or anything on anyone else's post for that matter). I'll make sure her entry appears on the final ballot, though. Thanks!

syren 5414 desperate attention whore postings

07-01-05, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Subject line should be SSC5?"
I am sorry.

I can repost it if someone wants to lock it.

07-01-05, 04:25 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Subject line should be SSC5?"
Not your fault at all. Nothing to apologize for. I just was stupid when doing my copy and past and didn't make all the necessary edits. Don't worry about re-posting. I'm sure people will find it okay.

07-01-05, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Subject line should be SSC5?"
No need to apologize! You followed the instructions perfectly. And I loved your story.

"Timeless at lightspeed."

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings

07-04-05, 00:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
The talent from this forum is amazing.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Molaholic 7014 desperate attention whore postings

07-23-05, 10:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Bump"
Thought I'd bump this for other first timers.

Outfrontgirl 5470 desperate attention whore postings

07-24-05, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
Hi Dave,
This is about the two entry rule.

I wanted to enter a collection of photos from a trip I made, and divide them into 3-4 categories: as in scenery, culture, underwater, and performances. I was thinking just do it as one enty with four parts (or less, if I don't get to them all). Is that OK, if I label it clearly in parts? (Yeah, kind of like my multi-part BV episodes, but not as long.)

The other entry I wanted to do was of flowers/gardens. Surprise, what? But in the meantime I got sidetracked with sunsets which was because cahaya and woeisme inspired me. Being as I had only skimmed the rules instead of reading them properly (my bad), I didn't realize there were two entries apiece ... so is it possible to de-enter my first thread and make it just the "sharing" that I had in mind when I did it?

If not, that's what I get for not reading rules. It's all about sharing anyway, despite the coveted Blowie awards.

07-25-05, 03:47 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
Yeah, I'm good with that. Will make a note to myself to check back to this thread when compiling the ballots.

Outfrontgirl 5470 desperate attention whore postings

07-25-05, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
Thanks Dave, I was trying to put some pressure on myself to finish these other entries that are glaringly non-existent at the moment.

(Resizing to get below 75KB but not so low as to lose all quality, in the HP program I'm using, is a time-consuming hit and miss process.)

08-01-05, 10:52 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
*bump*

It's time to vote! Hoping Dave will put up a post soon on that.

There are some great entries by quite a few people, and choosing a vote for some categories isn't going to be easy! I really enjoyed reading every entry and viewing all of the art and photos. We've got some exceptional talent in these parts!

"Timeless at lightspeed"

08-01-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Summer Story Competition 5"
Yup! I plan to have a ballot up a little later today.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •