The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Ann Lamott Flu"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-11-04, 08:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Ann Lamott Flu"
LAST EDITED ON 01-11-04 AT 08:27 PM (EST)

D'oh! Mislabeled. WSC3(SS) The Ann Lamott Flu

For his midlife crisis, James found Jesus. While friends found women half their age; he found a man about five hundred times his. It was the least conventional thing he’d ever done.

It crept up on him subtly. Elise was going through one of her phases again, writing this time. She’d picked up every book on writing she could find and had been particularly struck by Ann Lamott’s “Bird by Bird,” so struck that she’d also picked up “Traveling Mercies.” While “Bird by Bird” found and kept an honored place on her nightstand, “Traveling Mercies” lay forgotten atop the toilet in the guest bathroom.

It probably would have remained forgotten had he not been struck by the flu that was leaving the United States helpless in fits and starts. The guest bathroom was much closer to the big screen TV where he lay watching bowl games. The attacks, no matter how much he thought himself ready, always caught him by surprise, typically at the peak of an exciting drive to the end zone.

Perched on the toilet, he found nothing to read but the forgotten Lamott. He wasn’t typically a reader, except while doing his business. And even then, he generally preferred the current issue of Sports Illustrated. As much as he reminded himself to cart some magazines into the can in between bouts, their denouements were met with such relief that he just gratefully crawled back to the couch.

Elise was hit far worse by the bug. While he evacuated the virus one way, she expelled it in a far less pleasant manner. She kept to the bedroom, trading fevered bits of writing for the occasional cool of the porcelain against her forehead. The few times she made it downstairs, she sent a withering glare at James. This, like so much else in her life, was absolutely his fault. He pretended not to notice, a technique that had become his preferred method of keeping the peace over the years.

The flu lasted for about a week, during which time Ann Lamott took over and divided the house. Upstairs the pages flew, as Elise wrote her stories not bird by bird, but fault by fault, litanies of incompetent and unloving husbands (or so he imagined). Downstairs, James was stunned to learn that not only did he like “Traveling Mercies,” but it made sense. The concept that there are essentially two prayers, “Help me” and “Thank you” was perfectly logical to him. On the few occasions in life that he’d prayed, the prayers had been “God help me pass this exam” or “Thank God that car missed me.” Religion, and Christianity in particular, was at last clear to him.

And so the prayers began. At first, he was ecstatic to find this new relationship and didn’t even notice that his prayers were heavily weighted in one direction. “Lord, help me to ignore Elise’s bitching.” “Lord, help me not to make an ass of myself in front of the Board.” “Lord, help me to remember to take out the garbage tomorrow so Elise doesn’t get pissed off.”

It took a period of weeks (and a re-read of “Traveling Mercies”) before he realized that he almost never said a “Thank you” prayer. He took to adding one line to every prayer. “Lord, help me to be thankful.”

He searched avidly for things about his life for which he was thankful. He and Elise lived in a beautiful house in Winnetka. They had plenty of money. It seemed empty, though. Since the Lamott flu had hit the house, he rarely slept upstairs anymore, preferring either the couch or the guest bed. Elise didn’t comment on it, seemed relieved, in fact.

As he struggled to find gratitude to God, his prayers became shorter, finally just repetitions of “Help me, help me, help me.”

Finally, one night, he decided he needed baptism to be truly saved, to find the ability to deepen his relationship with God and Christ enough to be grateful. The epiphany came at one o’clock in the morning in the middle of the week. He didn’t want to wait.

The drive to the lake took about ten minutes. The air was warm for a December morning on Chicago’s North Shore, perhaps twenty degrees. Crossing his arms, he briskly rubbed them through his robe.

He trotted down to the shore, his sheepskin slippers flip-flopping against his heels. He quickly removed his robe and his silk pajamas. Carefully, he folded his pajamas and set them, along with his slippers, several feet from the robe. He figured the terrycloth would make a good towel once he came out.

He sucked in one deep breath and prayed, “God, help me to feel closer to you. Amen.”

Shivering, he raced toward the lake, knees pumping high, not letting himself feel the biting cold of the water, until he finally lost his footing and plunged forward, perhaps twenty feet from shore.

The water was colder than he’d imagined. He tried to find his footing, but was disoriented and could not find the bottom. Panicky, he knew that hypothermia would not take long to set in and he swallowed more of Lake Michigan than was healthy. “Help me,” he thought.

As his energy was leeched away by the icy currents, he ceased struggling. Miraculously, his body righted itself, and his head broke the surface. His flailing had taken him further from shore.

He tried to breast stroke back, but found his limbs too heavy to cooperate. “Help me,” he whispered one last time before going under.

He briefly thought about his life and his daily frustrations, thought about the place he was going, realized it was what he wanted. “Thank you,” he mouthed.

Criminals From the Neck UpThe Writers' Rendez-VousSmokeLong Quarterly

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu FarmBoy 01-12-04 1
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu Mon Cherie 01-12-04 2
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu L82LIFE 01-13-04 3
 Wow! echogirl 01-19-04 4
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu SherpaDave 01-19-04 5
   RE: The Ann Lamott Flu echogirl 01-19-04 6
       RE: The Ann Lamott Flu SherpaDave 01-19-04 7
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu KObrien_fan 01-19-04 8
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu Bebo 01-19-04 9
   RE: The Ann Lamott Flu SherpaDave 01-19-04 10
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu Breezy 01-20-04 11
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu Sheila 01-25-04 12
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu bebekid 01-25-04 13
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu nailbone 01-26-04 14
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu northernlights 01-26-04 15
 RE: The Ann Lamott Flu SherpaDave 02-24-04 16
   RE: The Ann Lamott Flu KObrien_fan 02-24-04 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-12-04, 08:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
You know it's that first line, don't you?

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
I'd stick my left foot in, but I've got a kilt on.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Mon Cherie 1811 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-12-04, 08:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Very cool! Boo gives it five stars!

*Hugs and smoochies*
Mon

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love."
-Henry Drummond

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-13-04, 12:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Not at all how I expected it to end and that's what made it such a great read. Very good characters in this story, Sherps. I really liked it.

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-19-04, 01:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Wow!"
I heart Dave's writing!

For his midlife crisis, James found Jesus. While friends found women half their age; he found a man about five hundred times his. It was the least conventional thing he’d ever done.

What a start!

I really, really enjoyed the entire piece. The depth of your writing is amazing and IMO it keeps getting better and better.

01-19-04, 01:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Thanks, all! I just got a critique of this from a newbie on a hard-core writing site. The guy was a total maroon. Something tells me he won't last long. Everyone there posts under their real names (presumably), and we often address each other by name in our private critiques. Somehow, he must've gotten confused about who wrote this story, because the first line of his critique was "Dear Ann Lamott." LOL! I sure as hell wouldn't mind being Ann Lamott and having her publishing history under my belt.

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-04, 02:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
You have mail

01-19-04, 12:37 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Yay! (Thanks for telling me. I don't check that address that often anymore.)

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-04, 01:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Stunning! I love your work

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

Bebo 20374 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-04, 01:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Dear Ann,

Sorry you're not feeling well.

Sincerely,

Ernest Hemingway

01-19-04, 02:09 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
LOL! Thanks, Granny.

Breezy 18268 desperate attention whore postings

01-20-04, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
I liked it. Will email you with other comments.

Sheila 2069 desperate attention whore postings

01-25-04, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheila Click to send private message to Sheila Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Only YOU could take a story about bodily functions in the beginning and turn it into something so meaningful by the end!

Great job!

bebekid 1621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

01-25-04, 10:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bebekid Click to send private message to bebekid Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Just wanted to tell you again, Sherps, how much Mr Bebekid and I both enjoyed this piece.

nailbone 27248 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-04, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Well, Sherps, I ain't no critic, but I know what I like. this is some good stuff!

Sandra, Panama's Sole Survivor
OT Studmuffin of the Year '03, Prince of Passion, Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, SB Video Historian, and Vice-President of the GAWKUR Alliance o-
Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-26-04, 07:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
That first paragraph reached out and grabbed me and the rest of the story just wouldn't let me go. I loved it Dave.

Aren't they cute when they're newbies?

02-24-04, 02:59 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Woohoo! This was just accepted by one of my favorite online mags to appear in their two-year anniversary issue! *hop*

KObrien_fan 8204 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-04, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The Ann Lamott Flu"
Congrats, that is excellent!

Surgeon General G.A.W.K.U.R's of OT

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •