The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Devious Weasel 18752 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-02-04, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
His first thought was of

The important firsts in his life: the first day he saw his daughter (my mom); the day he held his first grandchild (me) and told him about all the things he would teach, like driving a tractor and how to help a sow birth and when to shoot, things that have had varying degrees of practicality in his grandson's (my) life; and most importantly, the day he first saw her (my grandmother), the day he decided that maybe being a farmer wouldn’t be so bad, maybe he didn’t need to leave the area and see the world and try his hand making his fortune elsewhere. It was a day he never regretted, even if she wasn’t here now and hadn’t been here for some time.

His second thought was of

The sign he always put on the door of the farmhouse when he went to town, the one that said “Gone to town – Be Back Soon!” He had put it on the door that day he came to town but didn’t come back soon, didn't come back at all, the day he collapsed and got put in the hospital and then moved to this room in the nursing home section of the hospital where they wouldn’t even let him leave to go home for one trip, one trip to look around and get some things, because they said the trip would kill him, and damn but he wasn’t too polite to say “I’d rather die at home than here” but he didn’t want to offend anyone, and he didn’t want them thinking he wanted to die, because he didn’t, he just wanted to be at home, among the used rubber bands and old grocery sacks and stacks of ancient newspapers, things she never threw out because she never threw out anything, and even though it always infuriated him that she never threw out anything, after she was gone he couldn’t stand the thought of throwing any of it away because it all reminded him of her and even when the pain of her going was at its worst he still wanted to be reminded of her – hell, that was when he wanted to be reminded of her the most. But he didn’t say anything, and he didn’t get to go home, and now he was hoping that one of the kids had taken the sign down because if they hadn’t, the next time it would be seen was after he was gone. And that would probably start them crying again, and he didn’t want anyone crying over him anymore than was absolutely necessary, cause he never wanted anyone crying over him. Ever.

His third thought was of

How bad it felt when she died, in a room just down the hall from where he was now, and how he was ready to give it all up when his son-in-law (my dad) died, and how he found new life in what was the only mission that could have kept him going, being there for his eldest daughter (my mom) to help her get through what no one should ever have to go through but what most people have to deal with sometime.

His fourth thought was of

How it was Christmas day, and how if you could pick the day you died, no one, NO ONE, would ever pick Christmas day, because that would be inconsiderate because from then on out everyone will always have a little sadness in them on Christmas morning and people should never have sadness in them on Christmas morning. Any other time, fine, but not Christmas morning. He hated being inconsiderate. Always had. That didn’t stop him from being that way sometimes, just meant that he hated it.

His final thought was of

How many people were in the room right now, people he hadn’t seen in so long, including his eldest daughter (my mom) and his first grandchild (me). How strange it was that the passed on were there with the living, and how the passed on could affect the living but the living couldn’t affect the passed on (or was it the other way around), and how it was too bad that his eldest daughter (my mom) and his first grandchild (me) didn’t see his son-in-law (my dad) but his son-in-law (my dad) told him it was okay, they could feel him even if they didn’t realize it. And then he saw her, and he saw how pretty she looked – of course, she always looked pretty – but particularly today, and he thought of how glad he was that she was here to help him leave. “Nonsense” she said, cutting through everything as she always did “where else would I be today?”

His next thought was of

Things that couldn’t be described to the living, which is just as well, cause even if they could be described to the living, they wouldn’t be understood by the living.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... Drive My Car 01-02-04 1
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... Silvergirl1 01-02-04 2
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... FarmBoy 01-03-04 3
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... Swami 01-03-04 4
   RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... Devious Weasel 01-05-04 7
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... PhoenixMons 01-03-04 5
   RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... Devious Weasel 01-05-04 8
       RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... GrendelsMom 01-07-04 12
       RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... PhoenixMons 01-09-04 15
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... AugustGirl 01-04-04 6
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... L82LIFE 01-05-04 9
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... nailbone 01-06-04 10
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... northernlights 01-06-04 11
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... DoodleBug 01-07-04 13
 RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He D... probably clueless 01-09-04 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Just beautiful.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"

Thanks, Weasel. This was very thought provoking, especially for me, as my dad died last year the week before Christmas.

Silvergirl

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-03-04, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Good work DW!

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
It's going to be so hard to vote this time!

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-04, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Very beuatiful, Weasel. I loved your grandpa more & more as each layer of thought was revealed.

This could be either NF or FF, I think.

Swami
IceCat is The One

01-05-04, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
There's enough things here that are true to make it somewhat painful to write, but there's also enough things here that are false to make it fiction.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-03-04, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
I really like the run-on-ness of this story. I don't know if it was your intention, but it makes me think that everything was happening so quickly and he didn't have time to separate his thoughts into sentences so they just became one big drawn-out thought after another. I like that a lot.

Also made me think back to the day I lost my grandfather (a week before my eighth birthday). We were very, very close and it hit me like an 18-wheeler. I grieved like Vada Sultenfuss (My Girl), not leaving my room, crying incessantly.

Great story

01-05-04, 12:23 PM (EST)
8. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
The run-on-ness was intentional. I have this notion that writer's should try to control the way a reader reads a piece in addition to conveying the written portion of the piece. Run-on sentences, when they are written well, do that. So do short sentences.

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-07-04, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Rules are meant to be broken, when it's intentional and done with a purpose. You obviously know what you are doing. Nicely done.

A JSlice masterpiece

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-09-04, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
See I didn't word that sentence properly! I meant I didn't know if the intention of your run-on sentences was to make the readers feel as if everything was happening so fast that grandpa didn't have time to sort his thoughts out...they just flowed out. That's what I meant, not whether the run-ons were intentional. That I knew, silly

Really, really enjoyed this story, Dweez

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-04, 07:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Wow! Beautiful.

a JSlice original. isn't she something?

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-04, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Weasel, you have a way of writing straight from the heart, to the heart. Very touching piece that's so emotional and beautiful.

nailbone 27248 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 10:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
Wow...Dweezil, I just...wow...*tears*...

Sandra, Panama's Sole Survivor
Prince of Passion, Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, SB Video Historian
and OT Studmuffin of the Year '03
o-

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
That was simply beautiful Mr. Weasel. Thank you for sharing with us.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
I loved the run-on sentences too. That was just a wonderful and beautiful piece.

A Kyngsladye Original

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-04, 05:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail probably%20clueless Click to send private message to probably%20clueless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: WSC3 (FF) Grandpa, The Day He Died"
I love seeing the writing side of DW. WTG!

A Kittyloaf®Original
*One Legged Little Litter Box Minstrel Lover*

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •