The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-01-04, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
Mary Alice Tucker rides her bike with the wire basket from the group home to her job at the grocery store. Every day she rides past a ravine filled with black trees, layers of brown leaves, and giant mushrooms in the fall. Sometimes, if she thinks she won’t be late for work, and if she already has her white bakery hat on and her white apron too, she stops, using the rubber soles of her tennis shoes on the sidewalk to slow her bike.

Today she does this. She gets off the bike and lays it down hard in the grass. Her apron has long strings, so she always ties it in a big bow in the front. One of the loops gets caught on the handlebar as the bike falls to its side, and yanks her down on top of it. She rolls with it, still captured, and drags it as she slides down the brown leafy slope, halfway down the ravine. “Damn!” she yells. “Freaking stupid damn bike!” Screaming these words makes her laugh—she’s not allowed to say such things at the group home.

Her apron is covered in chocolatey mud and syrupy grease from the bike chain. She looks like she’s been making chocolate cakes all day. She expects her boss won’t notice, and this thought makes her remember what she should be doing. She panics. She will get fired if she is late for work. “I’m coming!” she hollers up the ravine, to no one.

She untangles herself and starts up the hill, dragging the bike, but she can’t manage it. So she leaves the bike next to a fallen tree trunk filled with woodpecker holes. Big black beetles are everywhere, but Mary Alice Tucker doesn’t mind them. She bends down to pick up a handful and jumps when she sees a face peering back at her with unblinking eyes. It’s a man. A dead one, but not too dead, she thinks. She saw Paul Pooka after he died in his bowl of oatmeal last spring. He looked like this, she thought. Well, except he had oatmeal on him.

The man’s body is buried under the fallen branch. She realizes she is standing on him. She stoops and wipes the beetles clean off his face and hair, then remembers again.

“Watch my bike,” she says to him. “I’m late for work.” And with that, she waves and scampers up the hill.

###

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Swami 01-01-04 1
   RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Wheezy 01-01-04 2
       RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Swami 01-03-04 5
           RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Wheezy 01-03-04 6
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... FarmBoy 01-02-04 3
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Drive My Car 01-02-04 4
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Silvergirl1 01-03-04 7
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... L82LIFE 01-05-04 8
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... northernlights 01-06-04 9
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... Superman 01-06-04 10
 RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Hea... DoodleBug 01-07-04 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-04, 05:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
Very nice, Wheezy. I wasn't expecting the dead guy, or Mary Alice Tucker's reaction to him--both of which flowed very nicely. I love stuff like this!

The only thing I didn't like was this sentence - "She realizes she is standing on him." I don't know--it seems to interrupt the emotional flow. Mary Alice is more reactive & less introspective--the word "realizes" feels wrong. This sentence also made me think about the logistics how she was standing on the body and thus took me out of Mary Alice Tucker's special world. I would leave that sentence out and just use her name instead of "she" in the next sentence.

Really, really good writing, Wheezy.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-01-04, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"

Ahhh, very good point Swami! I agree. From now on, I'll be emailing you all my stuff for a good final edit--you don't mind do you?

Thank you sweetie!

Wheeeza

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-04, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
I'll be emailing you all my stuff for a good final edit--you don't mind do you?
That would be fun, but you'd get sick of my comments pretty fast, I think.

That said, I should apologize for offering up suggestions: it seems no one else is doing this, so I should not have presumed to do so. I will refrain from unsolicited suggestions in the future. You know I really liked the piece, right? That should have been the total of my commentary. Nice writing, Wheezy.

Swami

01-03-04, 04:05 PM (EST)
6. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"

I am always open to suggestions--I welcome them. And I hope you'll critique other stuff I write. I can always use another set of eyes, and I know you have done your fair share of writing--I'm honored to have your help.

Thanks Swami.

WHEEEEEEZE!

FarmBoy 2618 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-02-04, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FarmBoy Click to send private message to FarmBoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
LAST EDITED ON 01-02-04 AT 10:19 AM (EST)

“I’m coming!” she hollers up the ravine, to no one.

I laughed out loud because I identified with this and then realized what I was laughing at- now I'm sad.

Very well done. This is one of those simple sentences from which Genius springs forth.

Bovinated BR549- An Original Draco Masterpiece
Also wants to be a follower of the Swami- if she'll listen.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-04, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"

I love this. So different. You made Mary Alice so real I can hear her voice.
It's disturbing and amusing.
Wheezy is soooooooo good.

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-04, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"

I like this piece, Wheezy. I know a Mary Alice in real life and I can imagine her behaving this way in this situation.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-05-04, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
Very nice piece, Wheezy. I feel as if I know Mary Alice and I was worried about her getting to work on time. The dead body totally surprised me, and I love it when that happens.

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-04, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
The Hampster girl? Is amazing.

“I’m coming!” she hollers up the ravine, to no one.

I loved that line and her. Great work Wheezy.

Superman 3152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-06-04, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
So, so good. But I? Have already told you this.

and I'll tell you again if you'd like

Criminals From the Neck Up

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

01-07-04, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: WSC3(FF) Mary Alice Tucker Heads to Work"
I laughed out loud at the "I'm coming" line. The oatmeal line was great. Loved the ending.

Good stuff, Wheezy.

watch my bike.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •