The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Likes"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-19-03, 00:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Likes"
I dreamed the person nobody likes long before I met her. I can't tell you when; nor can I tell you why. I can only say that this is true.

A dream like that is a dream that stands out above all the rest: tactile, scented, disturbing. The dark is the first thing that struck me; it was twilight when it happened, but there is no question that the sky above where she lived was perpetually overcast. I was walking along a trail in the woods, smelling the soft vegetable decay and ocean smell of the coast, somewhere. When I saw the blue house, shingled, sitting awkwardly on the hill, I knew that she was there in the basement, in a trunk, dead.

The curious immediacy of dreams allows us to see every necessary detail, tangible or not. She had lived on the edge of the village, in the blue house surrounded by trees, endlessly fascinated by the lives of those around her, whether births, deaths, new clothes, or successful gardens. She bled because she could not take part in these lives. She was only an observer, bound to the edge of settlement and society.

What held her back I cannot tell you. Was it her way of speaking? Her awkward conversation? A hint of something not quite orthodox in her sexual preference? I am inclined to believe this last. After all, a murder the basement is no common thing. Though, to be honest, I must almost ask your forgiveness for saying that she was murdered. It smacks of sensation, where there was none. It was almost as if they were putting down an animal who could live no longer without pain.

Imagine my surprise when I really did meet her.

It was shortly after we moved, and we had just finished carrying in all our things, and were eating pizza on our new front porch in the early summer dark. She was out walking her large Siamese cat, stopping at every house to peer into the windows, bring in the mail, and catechise the occupants.

She is a big woman, almost square, with a blonde brush cut and a voice that could shear metal. She wears the most ungodly assortment of clothing: sweatshirts that nobody else wants, men's winter jackets, perfectly good shoes from the flea market. She is happy with her looks. It radiates from her.

There is no escaping her volley of intrusive questions; luckily, she doesn't expect an answer. By the time you open your mouth, she's moved on. Still, she knows everything that goes on on our block, from the renter's adulterous husband to the back neighbour's smoked trout.

This information is invaluable to her, and she hoards it with the same acquisitive glee that she does cheap furniture and household gadgets, bringing it out again and again to display. It is her chosen profession now; a knee injury bars her from the corner store where she has spent her working life.

Improbably, she has a lover: a small, thin, nervous-looking man with two Papillon dogs and a brown moustache. He visits her often in the small, crowded apartment she shares with her sister. They play crib and darts every winter and go to garage sales in the summer. They are happy.

Sometimes, she looks at me and sees the truth, more dreadful because I cannot hide it and I cannot tell it.

She knows that despite everything, she is The Person Nobody Likes.

It breaks my heart, because I do not want to help her.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Lik... probably clueless 08-19-03 1
 RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Lik... L82LIFE 08-19-03 2
 RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Lik... Lisapooh 08-19-03 3
 RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Lik... Schnookie Palookie 08-25-03 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-03, 04:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail probably%20clueless Click to send private message to probably%20clueless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Likes"
>
>This information is invaluable to her,
>and she hoards it with
>the same acquisitive glee that
>she does cheap furniture and
>household gadgets, bringing it out
>again and again to display.
>

Ya got my vote with that line.

PC

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-03, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Likes"
Great piece, Coco. I could smell the ocean as you described it, and I could see everything as if I was there. I really enjoyed reading this, thank you.

Lisapooh 12661 desperate attention whore postings

08-19-03, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Likes"
There is sucha unique quality to yur writing coco. Your descriptions are so unexpected and so evocative. I love reading stories like this because I know i could never write them - and I love how otherworldly and memorable this is.

I can't get the descriptions out of my mind - there are these unusual word choices that startle you and then seem absolutely perfect a nanosecond later.

This was just a joy to read.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

08-25-03, 03:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: SSC3 (FF) The Person Nobody Likes"
I love it Coco! You have a beautiful way with words.

"Though, to be honest, I must almost ask your forgiveness for saying that she was murdered. It smacks of sensation, where there was none. It was almost as if they were putting down an animal who could live no longer without pain."

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •