The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-02-03, 03:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
LAST EDITED ON 01-03-03 AT 02:53 AM (EST)

Stava approached the new regime government official. The official was wearing a designer suit and expensive jewelry. She sported a name tag on her shoulder that read, "Tara Collinski".

"I need help," she began, "My family is starving."

"Do you have any money?" asked Tara Collinski with a smug smile.

"I have a few coins. Are they worth anything."

"Are they gold or silver?"

"No. They are copper pennies."

"Ahhh! United States mint copper pennies?"

"Yesss! Are they worth anything?"

"No, sorry - almost totally worthless, but if you have enough of them, you can turn them in for some government issue food."

"I only have ten pennies."

"Not enough, I am afraid."

"What am I going to feed my family? They can't eat pennies."

"Do you have any land?"

"Land??"

"Yes - earth, soil, dirt - the medium we use to grow all plant life."

"Well, I swept up the dirt tracked in by my boys the other day. It clung to the bottoms of their Nikes. I think it is still in the trash can."

"You will need more earth than that to support plant life."

"What can I feed my family?" she pressed again.

"If you apply, you can obtain government issue land - a 1/4 acre, to use for growing food."

"I didn't know that."

"It is a new program and only certain people are eligible to receive the land."

"Can you tell me if I am eligible?"

"Fill out the form and I will let you know in 2 to 3 weeks."

"I'm sorry, I can't wait that long. Can't you tell me today?"

"No, I am sorry, but we do not have a way to determine this without submitting your information to a claims processor."

"Where is the land located? Can you tell me that?"

"Sorry, we pull the land out of a land bank, but I can tell you that most of the land is in Wyoming and Montana."

"But we live here in Maryland. We don't want to move so far away. Our family just moved here from Arizona because my husband got transferred. We have been living in an apartment until we could find a suitable house. In the meantime, my husband lost his job due to his company downsizing and had a nervous breakdown. I need help. We have always paid our taxes."

"It sounds like you will have to get a job."

"I haven't worked in many years and I don't have any job skills."

"I can refer you to our Job Skills Center, where you can learn new skills and eventually apply for a job."

Stava sighed and said, "I need help today!"

"You need to see our Financial Advisor, Mr. Smith."

"Why should I see him?"

"He can give you some advice on how to manage your assets."

"Lady, if I had any assets, I wouldn't be here!"

"You must have something - a car, furniture, etc."

"I've sold the car, the furniture and anything else that we had that was of value. I even sold the silverware that has been in my family for decades."

Stava was almost to the point of tears.

"Okay... hmmmm, then you should qualify for the government land."

"When can I get my land?"

"Fill out these forms and you will hear from us in 6 to 8 weeks."

"My family will starve in 6 to 8 weeks."

"Then we will provide you with government issue food."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"It is a new program initiated today because you need food."

"How do I obtain the food?"

"Fill out these forms. We will call you in 3 to 4 days."

"I can't wait that long! My family needs to eat now. On top of that, I had to have the phone cut off."

"Okay. Here is a loaf of bread I just bought for my family. You may have it, but you still have to fill out the forms and if you want food in the future I would suggest you apply for the 1/4 acre of land to grow food."

"I don't know anything about growing food."

"How did you obtain food before."

"I bought food at the grocery store, just like you did - or - don't tell me those bags of food were grown by you."

"I got them at the government co-op, where citizens grow and process food and give 1/2 back to the government."

"Excuse me, but one loaf of bread will only feed my growing family for about 2 minutes. My 2 teenage boys will devour it in no time. They need other kinds of nourishment."

"Okay, okay. Apply for the government food, the government land and I will give you a food voucher good for 5 pounds of cheese, 25 pounds of flour, 10 pounds of sugar, and an assortment of canned goods that you can pick out at the storehouse."

"I don't know what to make with flour!"

"We offer cooking classes. They begin in 2 weeks time."

"Again, I have to feed my family today!!"

"Okay, here is a voucher for $25 good at any local grocer. That should hold you for a few days."

"Pffft ... if we eat spaghetti and beans every day!"

Tara gave Stava a wary look and said, "I'm sure you'll survive."

Stava sighed heavily, took the forms over to a table, and filled them out.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... L82LIFE 01-02-03 1
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... Sheila 01-02-03 2
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... echogirl 01-02-03 3
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... fivestarwheezy 01-02-03 4
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... northernlights 01-03-03 5
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... idiotcowboy 01-08-03 6
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... Red Lady 01-14-03 7
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... Superman 01-23-03 8
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... MellowYellow 01-25-03 9
 RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part... Mon Cherie 01-25-03 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-03, 05:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Wonderful story, Silvergirl. Your dialogue is very snappy between the characters. I can picture them going back and forth. Stava's exasperation can be felt with each line. Dialogue is the toughest part of writing a story, IMO. In this piece, you nailed it! Thanks for sharing.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Sheila 2069 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-02-03, 05:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheila Click to send private message to Sheila Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
I agree! The dialogue is incredible! Great capture of the vicious "welfare" cycle as well.

Sheila anxiously awaits Part II

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-03, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
LAST EDITED ON 01-02-03 AT 11:16 PM (EST)

Hi Silvergirl!

I like this. It captures the desperation and frustration of suddenly being down and out; something that could happen to any of us.

Nice work!

fivestarwheezy 958 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-02-03, 11:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail fivestarwheezy Click to send private message to fivestarwheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
I must agree about that awesome dialogue! Fascinating topic as well, and I can't wait for part 2! Keep going!

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-03, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Great work Silvergirl! I could really feel her desperation and I can't wait to read the next part.

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-08-03, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Great work! The things that we all take for granted and the frustration involved working through a system (any system) are well presented as you have subtly painted an Orwellian view of the future and its effects on an individual and their family.

I'm looking forward to part 2.

-ICB

Red Lady 2009 desperate attention whore postings

01-14-03, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Red%20Lady Click to send private message to Red%20Lady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Silvergirl....
You have captured bureaucracy at its' nadir! I love the irony of your piece.

Regards,

Superman 3152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-23-03, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Love the dialogue! Bring on part 2!

Criminals From the Neck Up

MellowYellow 346 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-25-03, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MellowYellow Click to send private message to MellowYellow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Really grabbed me as I was reading!

"Why didn't you tell me? you didn't ask" dialogue conveyed frustration as well as humor, especially if you've ever dealt with a government agency.

Mon Cherie 1811 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

01-25-03, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: WSC2 (SS) The New Welfare, Part I"
Great job! Agree with everyone that the dialogue moves smoothly. Can't wait to read part 2!

Mon

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •