The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-01-03, 00:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC2(NF) The First Time"
LAST EDITED ON 01-01-03 AT 06:45 PM (EST)

I know it sounds trite but it was such a profoundly moving and life altering experience that I can easily separate my life into “before” and “after”. I don’t know how old others were when it happened to them, but it still seems to me that I was very young. At thirteen, I surely must have been younger than most.

Before that day I spent much of my out-of-school time in the back rooms of libraries. The smell and taste of entering a room filled with ancient bound paper and dust still takes me back to those early days. My library habit began when I was about three. I even learned to write so that I could have my own library card.

“You can’t have your own library card until you can write your own name.” the librarian said to me, an unusually tiny five year old who looked barely able to carry books much less read them.

Two weeks later I boldly walked over to her and said “I want my library card now.”

“You have to be able to write your name.” she reminded me.

“I can.” I said.

I got my library card. After all, a promise is a promise.

And, like many of you, I quickly worked my way through the “children’s” section. The librarians were so used to my presence that they allowed me to wander and read in the “adult” section without bothering to ask anyone’s permission. It was a less strident time. Librarians felt certain that parents agreed with them that reading was a universal good, before the well-meaning librarians had constantly to be concerned about parental hysteria concerning the nature of the written word.

I won’t bore you with the details. It is enough to relate that as I got older I outgrew much of the tiny local library and wandered off seeking the size and bustle of brighter covers, older wood paneling, and more traffic. A large city library was a mere bus ride away, but walking through the doors felt like landing in a different country. By then I had an actual “adult” library card and had long since abandoned my concern about being observed reading books that not everyone approved of.

Songs have been written about the transformative nature of travel. After discovering the broad expanse and many levels of a central library, I began to wander through book stores. At first the clerks would rush over to me or watch me closely, an odd child-like creature invading their largely adult domains. After a time they became accustomed to my presence and nodded or smiled, then let me wander. They had come to learn that I not only browsed, but that I spent whatever money I earned on adult materials from their establishments.

Winter came, prime reading time. I found myself wandering around my neighborhood book store several times a week, sort of lost. My “to read” shelf was too small. I kept looking for things that weren’t there. One very slow, slightly snowy afternoon after school I found myself alone in the shop with someone who, in retrospect, must have been the owner. I was a loner, and he was used to letting me be. But on this day he approached me kindly and asked if he could help me find what I was looking for.

I must have looked a bit forlorn while I explained that I knew what he had and where to find it. What I wanted just wasn’t there. I don’t know what I was looking for. I may have been in that period where I was reading Russian novelists or early American poetry. That knowledge is lost in the distance of time. All I can remember is that he led me over to a corner behind the cash register. On a lectern stood a huge volume that I had never seen before, larger than the dictionary I usually found in libraries, with thin paper and very tiny lettering. I cautiously touched its red paper edges, sliding my small hand down to gently caress the edge of the brown leather bound cover. I looked up, questioning. He smiled slightly while explaining that he could get for me anything listed in “Books in Print.”

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time SherpaDave 01-01-03 1
   RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time TechNoir 01-01-03 3
       RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time SherpaDave 01-01-03 6
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time echogirl 01-01-03 2
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Silvergirl1 01-01-03 4
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time fivestarwheezy 01-01-03 5
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Drive My Car 01-01-03 7
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time true 01-02-03 8
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time L82LIFE 01-02-03 9
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Swami 01-02-03 10
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time northernlights 01-03-03 11
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Sheila 01-04-03 12
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time PepeLePew13 01-06-03 13
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Schnookie Palookie 01-08-03 14
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time idiotcowboy 01-08-03 15
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time PleaseJustKillMeNow 01-10-03 16
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Naked 01-16-03 17
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Red Lady 01-21-03 18
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Superman 01-23-03 19
 RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time Femme 02-03-03 20

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-03, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Woohoo! And look at who was just champing at the bit for the contest to start. So glad you've entered, although I see you didn't change my one teeny-weeny li'l nit I had with this. Stubborn. Still a great read.

Criminals From the Neck Up

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-03, 02:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
fixed ... I forgot.

You know how artists are.

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-03, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Perfect.

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-01-03, 02:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Hi tech!

OMG I loved this story! The first paragraph really threw me! And then it was like being in a time capsule. The imagery so vivid! And I thought the ending was so clever! Impressive work Techie!

Silvergirl1 8694 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-03, 02:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Wow! What I wouldn't have given for a childhood friend (like you) who shared my love of books!

Loved the story and your style is great.

fivestarwheezy 958 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-01-03, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fivestarwheezy Click to send private message to fivestarwheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Tech, this is great stuff. You have described an experience that many of us can relate to. I really like how you set it up. When you as a writer can capture the thoughts of the reader like you did here, there is something special in you.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-03, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Wonderful!!!!!!

I felt you all the way through, and the ending gave me chills ( for real)

I Love this piece.

true 9681 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-03, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Lovely story, Tech. I could really picture you and your surroundings. Loved it!

"I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly" - Mr. Krabs

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-03, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
What a great read, Tech. This story has great imagery. I could totally picture you as a small child savoring everything the library had to offer.

Wonderful setup, you had me all the way! I'm so glad you shared your first passion with us.

Swami 5883 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-03, 11:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
I loved this story, Tech! It is one many of us here can likely relate to. I remember when my mother had to give a permission letter to our town librarian before they would let me just wander in the adult fiction center. Even then, my mom was called once or twice before they would let me check out my stack of novels.

I saw my first copy of "Books in Print" in a little store called the Book Nook. I remember how thrilled I was! Then the stupid store owner said I couldn't just page through it. If I needed a book, I could tell him the title, and he would look it up! (The subtext was 'go away little girl'.) Of course, I had immediately figured out that all book stores must have a copy somewhere. Never went back to the Book Nook.

northernlights 5046 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-03, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Wow Tech, that was amazing! I really enjoyed reading it.

Sheila 2069 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-03, 05:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheila Click to send private message to Sheila Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
I LOVE the ending! I can almost smell all those old books while reading this story. Thank you for bringing back those "library" days of old. I'm saddened that my children don't know that "smell" because our current library is more like a Barnes & Noble (sans coffee) than it is a library from my past.

Excellent job Tech!

Sheila

PepeLePew13 21243 desperate attention whore postings

01-06-03, 04:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
This is great stuff, Tech! It was that much better the second time reading through it and taking the time to go through each paragraph. It really does come across vividly.

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

01-08-03, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Bravo Tech. I'm so in awe of all you writers here ... so much talent. Thanks for sharing it with us.

idiotcowboy 1135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-08-03, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idiotcowboy Click to send private message to idiotcowboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
You took me where I wasnt expecting but that is the joy in a well written story.

-ICB

PleaseJustKillMeNow 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

01-10-03, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PleaseJustKillMeNow Click to send private message to PleaseJustKillMeNow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Oh, this is exquisite. You have such a beautiful voice.

Naked 790 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

01-16-03, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Naked Click to send private message to Naked Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Technoir,

Excellent descriptions. I really could place myself inside the story. Thanks for the small revelation on the inner workings of you.

Red Lady 2009 desperate attention whore postings

01-21-03, 04:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Red%20Lady Click to send private message to Red%20Lady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Tech...thx for taking the time to share this part of your life with us! I am always "in awe" of your wit and knowledge...now I know you started attaining those attributes at a very young age!

Superman 3152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-23-03, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
I thought we were going another direction, too. But wow, can you tell a story or what? Loved it.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-03-03, 07:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: WSC2(NF) The First Time"
Tech, this is my favorite piece of the whole dern competition. I really, really liked it. You know, I'm risking pissing my sister off,be'cause she entered, but really, this is just such a great story and I truly just love it.

Femme
"I shall no longer play the field; the field stinks, both economically and socially."

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •