The Amazing Race   American Idol   America's Next Top Model   The Apprentice   The Bachelor
Big Brother   The Biggest Loser   Dancing with the Stars   Survivor                Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"WSC2 Rules"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Story Competitions Forum (Protected)
Original message

SherpaDave 8316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-30-02, 00:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"WSC2 Rules"
I'm posting the rules a few days before the contest actually begins so that any questions can be answered before the contest is actually underway. This year's contest will run from January 1 through January 31. I'm just copying and pasting a bunch of the rules because it's easier and I'm a slacker.

The Rules

We will have seven voting categories and two non-voting categories (note that this is a little different than in the past).

The Voting Categories

Non-Fiction(NF) - Stories from your real life. Examples: Funny stories, romance, horror (we all have those), or whatever else you want to tell us from your life. Inspirational stories were briefly divided out from this category, but since this drew the least number of entries, they've been merged back together.

Creative Writing has been divided into three categories since it receives so many entries. Note that the third category is new this time around, by popular request.

Flash Fiction(FF) - Short short stories should be posted here. I'd offer a word count guideline, but that's a pain in the butt for people to keep track of. Generally, if your story can fit on one page without scrolling, it's Flash. For those who write in Word, there's a tool that gives you a word count. Generally, anything under 1000 words is considered Flash.

Short Stories(SS) - Any fiction that is longer than Flash should be posted here.

Humor(HU) - The new category, by popular request. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Also, since the Top Ten Lists category drew very few entries last time around, TTL's should be entered in this category as well.

Persona Narrative(PN) - A story based on your online persona or others. However, you can include others only with their express permission. If you include someone without his or her permission, your story will be removed from the competition. Chat transcripts, Epics and anything else involving poster personas goes in here.

Poetry has also been divided into two categories since it receives so many entries.

Free Verse(FV) - Poetry that doesn't rhyme should be posted in this category.

Rhyming Poetry(RP) - Poetry that does rhyme should go here.

Visual Art has also been divided into three categories, by request (actually, the request was for two categories, but there are many types of visual art that don't fall into either of the two suggested categories, i.e., OFG's garden, so a catch-all category should cover those; I'd hate to miss out on them for lack of a category).

Painting/Drawing(PD) - Paintings and drawings should both be entered in this category, regardless of medium.

Photography(PH) - Artistic photography should be entered in this category. To be fair, I'd like to suggest not allowing pictures of one's children into this category. I'd love to see pictures of posters' kids, of course, but I'd rather see them on OT.

Visual Art(VA) - Visual art that doesn't fit into either of the two above categories should be entered in this category.

The Non-Voting Categories

Exercises(EX) - If you have writing exercises that you'd like to share, please post them in this category. We all can use a push when combating writer's block.

In-Progress(IP) - If you have a piece that you're still working on and you'd like serious in-depth feedback, post in this category. This can be hugely helpful for any writer who really wants to polish a specific piece.

Here is how the competition will be run. Create your work for whichever category you want. You may submit previously posted works, but they must be resubmitted under the following guidelines. Start a new thread for each work. This way we can all tell you how wonderful you are. The Subject line should indicate the category and submission title in the following format.

WSC2(NF) "Title of story" (Substitute the NF with the proper category that your work falls into.)

You may not submit works that were entered into previous Summer Story Competitions or the first Winter Story Competition. Once again, there will be a limit of two entries per category. Please understand that all writings are welcome even if they aren’t for the WSC, and this is certainly true year round. If you want to post more than two per category, choose the best two and enter them, and then post the rest without a tag.

Length:
Your story doesn't have to be short, but keep in mind that the people of this board are not known for their long attention spans. Multiple-post entries are acceptable, and will be counted as one entry. (For an example of this, see idiotcowboy's novella from the SSC2.)

Voting/Winning
The contest will run from January 1 through January 31. On February 1, all submitted works will be categorized and posted on a ballot. The voting will then begin. Voting will run from February 2 through February 8 and winners will be announced February 9. To avoid hurt feelings, the voting will take place through email to an anonymous email account. All votes will be confidential. Everyone will get to vote. Votes should be mailed to sherpadave@hotmail.com. Please vote for a first through third place winner in each category.

The first through third-place winners of each category receives nothing but Blowies. I will also be awarding the fourth Salman Rushdie Award to the person that best personifies the spirit of the contest that didn't win a specific Blowie.

I'll also be setting up a website again for easier viewing. That will be at http://untruecrimes.com/wsc2 (but don't look yet; I won't have it running until the contest has begun).

That is all. I hope that everyone will participate. I also encourage everyone to reply to the entries. I know that some people have a hard time with one-sentence “great story” type replies, but in this case it is important to give encouragement. It isn’t easy for most people to post this type of thing and in most cases a lot of work went into it.

Above all, have fun! There are many tremendously talented people on these boards. I'll bet you're one of them and I'd bet even more that you'll love the stuff everyone else posts.

Criminals From the Neck Up

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Flash Fiction aka Short, Short Stor... echogirl 01-01-03 1
   RE: Flash Fiction aka Short, Short ... SherpaDave 01-01-03 2
 RE: WSC2 Rules TechNoir 01-01-03 3
   RE: WSC2 Rules SherpaDave 01-01-03 4
 Bump true 01-02-03 5
 Question LadyT 01-11-03 6
 Bump! Superman 01-23-03 7
 ???? snoocharoo 01-30-03 8
   RE: ???? echogirl 01-30-03 9
       RE: ???? SherpaDave 01-30-03 10
           Too early for Tylenol PMs? echogirl 01-30-03 11
           Backrubs help headaches I hear... snoocharoo 01-30-03 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

01-01-03, 07:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Flash Fiction aka Short, Short Stories"
If a NF story is short enough can we post it here? Or should I alter the story enough so it qualifies as fiction? Just curious!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

01-01-03, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SherpaDave Click to send private message to SherpaDave Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Flash Fiction aka Short, Short Stories"
Unless you think you'd have more than two entries into NF and need it to go into FF, go ahead and put it in NF. Historically, NF has been one of the least entered categories, so the more we get there, the better.

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

01-01-03, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: WSC2 Rules"
I don't suppose there is any way for AyaK or Webby to stick these at the top for the month -- or is there?

01-01-03, 11:31 PM (EST)
4. "RE: WSC2 Rules"
Not in the current version of the software, no. Upgrading to the latest and greatest would affect all sorts of things, so I think Webby's hoping to wait until a longer off-season.

true 9681 desperate attention whore postings

01-02-03, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Bump"
Ok, I'm all caught up. So get busy peeps! I want more!

"I smell the smelly smell of something that smells smelly" - Mr. Krabs

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

01-11-03, 11:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LadyT Click to send private message to LadyT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Question"
I am going to post my latest installment of my soap here and put in the competition. When I started it, I posted a thread asking for people that wanted to participate. They may not have posted to the blanket permission thread. I haven't read it so I am not sure. Is that ok in following with the rules of the competition that I use them as continuing characters even if they haven't posted to that thread? Does that make any sense? If there is any problems with it, than I will either take them out or take the story out of the competition.

Superman 3152 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-23-03, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Superman Click to send private message to Superman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Bump!"
'Cause sometimes, I go on a posting frenzy and important stuff get knocked away.

Superman - who thinks his thinly veiled excuse for bumping Dave will fool no one

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-30-03, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "????"
Sherps,

I posted a SS as IP because I wasn't sure where the plot was going and decided after the fact that I wanted to change some things. Now that I'm finished I'd like to enter it into the contest but can't change the subject line to reflect that is in fact an entry and add the correct gendre. Can you help me please? The story is "Mother's Dog" and I'd like to submit it in the SS Category.

Please let me know if I screwed up really bad, we can set a date for my "punishment" **wink, wink**

Thanks!!!

01-30-03, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: ????"
Hey Snooch!

Just copy and paste your story and post it again as an official entry. This is what Wheezy did for Mexican Adventures.

And a suggestion (okay a wish on my part) for Sherps. Any chance we can extend the contest one more week? I have a couple of pieces I am still working on that I may or may not post tomorrow because they are first drafts. Perhaps others are in the same boat. No biggie, but since S6 starts February 13th we would still have time to vote.

01-30-03, 08:33 PM (EST)
10. "RE: ????"
Perfect reply for snooch's question: copying and pasting as an entry in the appropriate category works great.

And heehee! This happens every contest. There's always at least one person who wants to extend things, which is understandable. I've got a searing headache right now and a ton of code to write before I get to go home, so I'm not going to give as long an explanation as I usually do. I'll just say that while I really appreciate the effort that goes into writing, the deadline's been set for a while and part of the schedule that I set for myself allows for updating, etc. around the dates scheduled. Also, folks are free to post their work in this forum at any time, even when there's no contest running. Heck, I'd love to see more stuff posted here in between contests.

Anyway... I'm sorry, but we haven't extended the dates before and I'd strongly prefer not to this time. I'll give a longer explanation if you'd like when deadlines and headaches aren't conspiring to make me one seriously grumpy SOB.

01-30-03, 08:43 PM (EST)
11. "Too early for Tylenol PMs?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-30-03 AT 08:47 PM (EST)

You have way too many headaches Sherps!

Oh I understand *pout* about the deadline *pout* but my brain isn't cooperating! No need for further explanations, just thought I would ask I better get back to work!

*pout*

Edited to thank Sherps for all of the hard work he puts into this competition.

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-30-03, 09:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Backrubs help headaches I hear..."
Okay, just hand me the "DUMB BLONDE" award and I'll leave quietly.

Hopefully you'll get a laugh out of this. I haven't looked at the calendar all day, in fact I really had no clue what the date was until JUST NOW!!!!! *LOL* It never entered my mind that there was a deadline.

OMH...I am sooo sorry for being an ass.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •