The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Productions: Claps & Slaps"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55733 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-30-13, 06:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Productions: Claps & Slaps"
For notes on leg construction, task design, course layout, camera work, and the other elements which go into the actual assembly of the Race. (This is not for commenting on Racer actions unless said actions were directly caused, influenced, or sabotaged by Production.) It's sort of a behind-the-scenes GUFU with occasional positive notes, and it's one thread per season. Sort of like how it's one mandatory departure point for the course. Again. Forever. Always. Seriously, I always put a degree of pasting into the start of this thread and now I barely have to edit the thing at all.

Pull the six-shooters.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Chile Estee 09-30-13 1
 RE: Productions: Claps & Slaps jbug 09-30-13 2
   RE: Productions: Claps & Slaps mom2bjm 09-30-13 3
 Chile #2 Estee 10-07-13 4
   RE: Chile #2 kidflash212 10-07-13 5
       RE: Chile #2 Estee 10-07-13 6
           RE: Chile #2 olathejoe 10-08-13 7
       RE: Chile #2 featherfish81 10-10-13 9
   RE: Chile #2 CTgirl 10-08-13 8
   RE: Chile #2 kidflash212 10-10-13 10
       RE: Chile #2 featherfish81 10-11-13 11
 Portugal. Estee 10-14-13 12
   RE: Portugal. IanQuentin 10-14-13 13
   Portugal. - Slap newsomewayne 10-15-13 14
 Norway Estee 10-21-13 15
   RE: Norway PepeLePew13 10-21-13 16
       RE: Norway Georjanna 10-21-13 18
   RE: Norway mom2bjm 10-21-13 17
   RE: Norway Molaholic 10-23-13 19
 Poland Estee 10-28-13 20
   RE: Poland Molaholic 10-28-13 21
       RE: Poland Belle Book 10-28-13 22
       RE: Poland samboohoo 10-28-13 23
       RE: Poland IanQuentin 10-29-13 27
           RE: Poland Molaholic 10-29-13 28
   RE: Poland IceCat 10-28-13 24
       RE: Poland Molaholic 10-28-13 25
   RE: Poland udg 10-28-13 26
 Austria Estee 11-04-13 29
   RE: Austria olathejoe 11-04-13 30
       RE: Austria jbug 11-04-13 31
       RE: Austria Belle Book 11-04-13 32
       RE: Austria Georjanna 11-04-13 33
       RE: Austria IanQuentin 11-04-13 34
       RE: Austria kidflash212 11-04-13 37
       RE: Austria udg 11-04-13 40
           RE: Austria olathejoe 11-05-13 41
               RE: Austria udg 11-05-13 42
   RE: Austria PepeLePew13 11-04-13 35
       RE: Austria Snidget 11-04-13 36
           RE: Austria featherfish81 11-08-13 43
   RE: Austria Molaholic 11-04-13 38
       RE: Austria PepeLePew13 11-04-13 39
 UAE Estee 11-11-13 44
   RE: UAE Max Headroom 11-11-13 45
       RE: UAE udg 11-11-13 48
   RE: UAE KwietOne 11-11-13 46
   RE: UAE Molaholic 11-11-13 47
   RE: UAE udg 11-11-13 49
 UAE II Estee 11-18-13 50
   RE: UAE II Starshine 11-18-13 51
   RE: UAE II kidflash212 11-18-13 52
   RE: UAE II Belle Book 11-18-13 53
   RE: UAE II PepeLePew13 11-18-13 54
   RE: UAE II Molaholic 11-19-13 55
 Indonesia Estee 11-25-13 56
 Indonesia II Estee 12-02-13 57
   RE: Indonesia II Molaholic 12-02-13 58
       RE: Indonesia II Estee 12-02-13 63
   RE: Indonesia II Belle Book 12-02-13 59
   RE: Indonesia II Max Headroom 12-02-13 60
       RE: Indonesia II PepeLePew13 12-02-13 61
   RE: Indonesia II KwietOne 12-02-13 62

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

09-30-13, 07:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Chile"
This was not a happy leg.

Slap Here's an idea: how about we solve the 'How do I get to LAX' problem by not leaving from LAX?

Slap I was initially dubious about where to rank the wording of the first Roadblock clue, but ultimately decided to place it as a negative. Yes, they can see that gliding is involved as they're approaching, or at least that would be the most reasonable guess. And sure, it means the Racers who have the most trouble with heights will opt out -- and the twisting of the clue means they're the ones who have to do it. How very amusing. Naturally it'll leave them second-guessing who should do anything for the rest of the course -- and that's the problem. Because as odd as it may sound and feel, some trust should exist between contestants and production. Mind games need to be confined to the tasks and challenges. If players wind up second and third guessing everything they do because they're convinced the show is trying to hurt them at every turn, the game turns into a festival of waffling and why-bothers. Or worse, Survivor. This isn't a good trend to set.

No hand movement However, the failure of two teams to understand what was going on at the second Roadblock was more a matter of reading comprehension. (I'd still like to see the original wording, though.)

Mini-slap Okay, the seals add a certain something to the atmosphere. They also add a potential extra to the medical bills should they decide that fish belongs to them. You think a seal won't fight you for a fish? Depends on the seal...

Slap The double Express Pass is back. I have no objections to giving one out as a first-place prize: the Race should be a meritocracy -- but you're winning an edge because you won to begin with. However, that's also the issue with giving out two. Stop protecting the weak. Don't give alliance any power. If you Cast To Lose and want one of those teams to stay around longer? Then your casting svcked. Again, this is not That Other Show Which Is Trying To Kill Itself. Don't follow their lead.

No hand movement I generally don't mention editing here, but I'm divided on how the last-place team was presented last night -- barely at all. The typical editing pattern would have had the oil workers leaving first: the constant refrains of 'We need the money' seemed to be directly on track for 'And arriving in eleventh place'... But the team who actually went out? It feels like they may have had less footage than just about anyone who came before them. And that's saying something -- something cruel.

Slap Okay, just what were the rules for the fish-gathering Roadblock? Did boats randomly reload at different times? Each clue had a slightly changed set of three? Arbitrary cut-offs? What?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jbug 16776 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-13, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Productions: Claps & Slaps"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-13 AT 10:51 AM (EST)

SLAP: Production
A race to the airport to get on the first flight was ok;
but at least give the teams on the later flight a fighting chance.
Neither of the roadblocks were difficult enough to give any of the later four a chance to catch up.

ETA:
SLAP: Contestants Leo & Jamal
I don't think my ears can stand much of the crazy yelling sound. I will be rooting against you for only this one reason - for now.

mom2bjm 1467 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-30-13, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mom2bjm Click to send private message to mom2bjm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Productions: Claps & Slaps"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-13 AT 02:21 PM (EST)

Jbug - agreed on the screaming from those two - SOOO annoying!

No tricks from
Moonbaby, just treats!!

10-07-13, 08:51 AM (EST)
4. "Chile #2"
Clap To Rowan's camera operator for somehow not laughing during the entire sequence.

No Hand Movement That particular clue was easy enough to read if you just bothered to read it. (Shall we assume Rowan tends to go off-script a lot simply through not having studied the original?)

!SLAP! Two! Two! Two giant bunch points in one episode! It's almost as if the producers needed to get the average back up from the premiere! Is there a Vegas betting line on this which they're trying to rig?

Slap Random dumb luck search tasks with intense physical components remain random dumb luck search tasks. At least there was a second option this time. Saltcastles in the salt...

No hand movement The salt float task was kind of subjective. News flash: humans tend to float. Heavy salt content makes it easier, but that task was always going to be hard to judge -- unless there's something we're missing here. Visual key to the water's appearance? Actual salinity reading being done offscreen?

Clap Great Pit Stop location. Let's have a few more wonders like that.

Clap For fast enforcement of the rules. The 'your cab driver must be happy' clause has been there the whole time, but this one got called in between the time the brothers left the driver hanging and arrived at the mat. Quick work.

kidflash212 3927 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-07-13, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Chile #2"
Slap - For the "read a newspaper" part of the Brining task. What was the point? Were the newspapers a sponsor or something?

Slap - For not telling us the rules of the shoe shine task. Exactly why did the guy having his shoes signed by Marie keep saying "No". And how was it supposed to be packed? Every team seemed to do it differently.

Clap - the Pit Stop location was great.

10-07-13, 01:08 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Chile #2"
Slap - For not telling us the rules of the shoe shine task. Exactly why did the guy having his shoes signed by Marie keep saying "No". And how was it supposed to be packed? Every team seemed to do it differently.

Maybe Mr. Exposition Hands doesn't do speed-footage packing demonstrations?

olathejoe 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-08-13, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Chile #2"
I know I will probably get slapped silly for posting this, but I'm going to anyway.

Clap: Ally's bikini
Clap: Ashley's bikini
Clap: Nicky's bikini
Clap: Kim's bikini
STANDING OVATION: Amy's bikini

I know I left one out, but she's already proven herself to be so hateful even if she did the task topless I would not be clapping.

featherfish81 417 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-10-13, 00:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Chile #2"
I think the "read the newspaper" part of the clue was to help with the subjectiveness of floating, as Estee described. It's a lot harder to float with your arms tucked in towards your side, so you would need to actually add salt to make that happen.

CTgirl 7104 desperate attention whore postings

10-08-13, 06:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Chile #2"
Slap - casting, again. I haven't finished watching the last two seasons and this season looks like it will be my earliest drop out ever. There is NO ONE to cheer for (and lots to cheer against!) Right now, I think my favorites are the NFL players and they're nothing special.

10-10-13, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Chile #2"
Slap - To all the butt kissing the second Express Pass is creating. Not very enjoyable. I would also like to understand how it works - they say Marie & Tim must give the pass to another team - What if they don't? Is there a penalty?

10-11-13, 01:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Chile #2"
I think the rule is they must hand it out by the end of the sixth (or something) leg. So I guess if they haven't handed it out by then it's forfeit?

10-14-13, 03:23 PM (EST)
12. "Portugal."
You tell me. I wound up trying to help someone through a mild financial crisis and missed the entire episode.

IanQuentin 115 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-14-13, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IanQuentin Click to send private message to IanQuentin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Portugal."
You didn't miss much. I think it was a poor episode.

Slap: The suspense of the episode. Teams pretty much won or lost before they left the airports. 4 different arrival times of the teams took all of the suspense out of the ep. No way for the anyone to catch up. Next time, get all of the teams tickets for a flight, but allow them to book earlier flights if they can find them.

newsomewayne 9147 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-13, 06:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Portugal. - Slap"
You tell me. I thought I'd DVR'd Amazing Race. But when I turned it on, all I got was a bad compilation of The Terminal and Airplane II: The Sequal.

Did anyone actually see Portugal?

Tribe slays me! 2006
“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.”- 1 Peter 5:8-9

10-21-13, 01:38 PM (EST)
15. "Norway"
Here's a rare specimen: the mostly-happy episode.

!Clap! I always enjoy the All Night Long legs: they take out all Hours Of Operation bunch points, force the teams to continue racing as they become increasingly punchy from sleep deprivation, and generally bring on the entertainment in so many ways. To have one taking place under sunlight might have been the best idea Production's had in the last few seasons. Whoever came up with this one needs a bonus. Or possibly a promotion.

Clap Superlegs can be more than a little annoying, but consider just where this one was placed. 'It's three in the morning -- and keep going.' (Incidentally, who wants to place odds on Marie breaking something by the end of the leg?)

Slap And then we had a seven-minute Ford commercial.

Clap Double-edged Detour with no simple choice -- although the hammering looked to be the more difficult in the end. (Was anyone else wondering if those teams missed a wheelbarrow station somewhere?)

Mini-Slap And right after all the lovely high definition images of insect bits and infected skin sores on Wednesday? Fish heads. Roly-poly fish heads. No more appetite, yum.

Clap But playing the song over the credits? Partial redemption.

No Hand Movement I understand the fear element and body shock involved with the Roadblock -- but ultimately, it came down to 'swing back and forth a little, then swim a few feet before warming up again'. The only reasons this isn't a Slap are providing the right equipment for the dip and the brief amusement from those who had trouble with the release.

Clap Now that's a Pit Stop -- or in this case, wasn't.

PepeLePew13 24877 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-13, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Norway"
LAST EDITED ON 10-22-13 AT 04:16 AM (EST)

!Slap! = My eyes are still searing from the day-glo bright neon orange/slash/hot lava coveralls that the camera operators didn't think to put a filter onto the cameras for. These things were oozing in an almost cartoon-like manner while the contestants were running up and down the path.

That's one of the pitfalls of having the most up-to-date HD television and this show being filmed in HD...

Georjanna 1302 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-13, 06:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Norway"
Braggin' or complainin'? ...

mom2bjm 1467 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-13, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mom2bjm Click to send private message to mom2bjm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Norway"
My 12 year old daughter loved the Roly Poly Fish-heads song and threatened to sing it over & over.. fortunately it was time for her to go to bed... but it was NOT Dr Dimento singing it, I don't think... THAT would've been priceless!

No tricks from Moonbaby, just treats!!

Molaholic 8629 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-13, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Norway"
<sorry I read first -- so many to repeat>

CLAP - Not only were the midnight-sun tasks most entertaining, but howsabout a special HIGH FIVE to the locals for being there in the dead of the (day)night.

SLAP - I'm sure I heard Mr. Handy-Hands explain the fish-punching task had to get exactly one kilo of bone-free. So howscome teams were waved on? Bob Barker is weeping.

CLAP - Ditto to the "Fish Heads, Fish Heads, Roly Poly Fish Heads" end music. (Hey, maybe the next stop in the Superleg will be FINLAND!!!)

Seana did another one.

10-28-13, 06:57 AM (EST)
20. "Poland"
Did anything good happen on this leg?

...yes, but not much.

Slap Yeah, like we didn't all pick up on the stench of Giant Bunch Point Ahead from several thousand miles away.

Slap The Double U-Turn? Still doesn't work. But neither did the U-Turn -- unless by 'work', you mean 'near-automatic death sentence'. Teams interfering with each other through producer machinations is always a chancy proposition. This one has never landed on anything but the house number.

Mini-slap Remember when Phil used to give out details about a task? '...must collect the equivalent of ten American dollars while holding up this fifty-zillion pound trident'. Gosh, that would have been useful.

Slap On the one hand, at least it wasn't the sushi eating challenge, which stood a measurable chance of actually killing a participant. Plus you got to burn off most of the calories along the way. But on the other, it's a search task. Across a half-mile long apartment building. With donuts.

Slap And here we are at the beginning of the Communist collapse -- and, having spent about three seconds at the site, here we leave.

Slap From what I could tell, the judgment criteria for the dance branch was 'Keep them here until you can't stand to look at them any longer.'

Clap And now that we have nearly all of them in costume, here's a homage to The Mole. Pity Tim & Loud skipped out on this, really. (Allowing the others to deduce they'd done so was from the coincidence of timing.)

Clap Go ahead, convince me that 'politeness counts' was in that clue on the first draft. Wonder what the penalty was. Apartment-cleaning would have been nice. (I could have said something about telling them only after the first infraction, but Racers should always know all the details in advance -- even with this group.)

10-28-13, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Poland"
BOOT TO THE my HEAD - For missing the aforementioned obvious pending Mega Bunch Point and betting all my Jims on the Beard Boys.

Slap - Yes, the flash point for the fall of Communism sure did get short shrift.

Slap - Howsabout a rule that says "if you've been double U-Turned you can't double U-Turn another team until you've compleated both tasks"?

Slap - The donut challenge would have been better if each host had a winner someplace in their pile. Could have had some interesting twists.

Seana did another one.

Belle Book 3604 desperate attention whore postings

10-28-13, 11:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Poland"
Don't really have any claps or slaps to add, but I do want to say that at least I didn't bet anything on the Beards! Of course, my two picks came in second and fourth, but at least they weren't Philiminated!

samboohoo 17151 desperate attention whore postings

10-28-13, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Poland"
Agree with you on the donut challenge.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

10-29-13, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IanQuentin Click to send private message to IanQuentin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Poland"

At the donut challenge, if every host had one, then the Roadblock would have amounted to find a host (any one) and eat a bunch of donuts. I would have much rather them have to deliveries instead where they had to take something heavy or bulky, deliver it to another apartment and swap it for another heavy/bukly thing and do it 5 different times.

Either that or make that apartment building a place for the gnome search.

Agreed on the double U-Turn rule. I think would also like if both detours were at the same location and the double U-Turn board was visible to all participating in a detour.

10-29-13, 03:17 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Poland"
My thought was one donut per visit -- then, if you hit one (or missed), and another team saw you, they could get misdirected and really p.o.ed. Of course, there is the potential for the hunt task from hell and you may have to visit the same host multiple times (thus bringing in the manners codicil).

Maybe that is too evil...

IceCat 17362 desperate attention whore postings

10-28-13, 02:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Poland"
I just wanted to mention how jam packed this episode was with beautiful women. Seriously...wow!

10-28-13, 02:50 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Poland"
I just wanted to mention how jam packed this episode was with beautiful women. Seriously...wow!

It was also jam packed with jam!

udg 3158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-28-13, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Poland"
Slap: Letting a U-turned couple use the U-turn before they've completed it themselves.

HARD Slap: The existence of a U-turn.

Standing Ovation: Politeness counts. <3

Contestant Slap: If the Beard² team hadn't given up on the statue task the first time, they wouldn't have been behind and wouldn't have been U-turned and wouldn't have been eliminated, and I wouldn't be stuck watching the Afghanimals again next week.

Thanks to tribephyl for the sigpic!
It's still better than Survivor.

11-04-13, 08:38 AM (EST)
29. "Austria"
...and then I woke up. So what happened?

11-04-13, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Austria"
SLAPPY SLAP SLAP: Worst.Roadblock.Ever

This was worse than ice skating in the olympics. The judge knew as soon as he heard all the teams what order they were leaving in. It was just a matter of time. Totally unfair, IMO. Even if they pronounced the words properly, not everyone has a singing voice. So not a mental task, not a physical task, a freaking singing task.

jbug 16776 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-13, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Austria"
more SLAPS!!!!

So unfair!
I know people who can't carry a tune in a bucket!

I completely expected this to be a non-elimination because this RB was so bad.

11-04-13, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Austria"
LAST EDITED ON 11-04-13 AT 05:35 PM (EST)

I know Spanish and a little French, so I think I could have handled the German language fairly well. As for my singing voice … it's not good enough to be on American Idol, that's for sure! But I do have musicality and my voice is certainly better than Danny's!

Which reminds me -- I wonder if Danny auditioned for American Idol. If so, he'd have been hammered by the judges, especially Simon Cowell when the guy was on the show! I'd have loved to have seen that!

E.T.A: Sorry, it was Oklahoma Tim who did the Roadblock. But had he been the one to audition for AI when Simon Cowell was around, he'd have still been hammered!

Georjanna 1302 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-13, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: Austria"
LAST EDITED ON 11-04-13 AT 01:22 PM (EST)

I sing one note. I'm able to adjust my volume - up/down - but not the note - high/low. As a consequence, I am the only person who was ever asked - begged - to resign from my church's Youth Choir. It was either me and my one loud, horrible flat note or whole sections of the choir who would - one hapless soul after another - ever-so-surely begin to follow me to off-key hell.

And a bit later in my youth, I spent two semesters in German classes taught by instructiors for whom it was a first, beloved language.

In one of those semesters, I was the only female in a class otherwise populated by male ROTC students. And it was the custom of Dr. Lieberman to require that class to stand - in straight, at-attention lines - for recitation as he paced in front of us with a backhand to our midsections at-the-ready while intoning (in my case) "From the abdomen, fraulein. From the abdomen!"

But it was the day that he stood in front of me (of the already twice-assaulted tummy) and shouted "Must you speak German with a West Virginia accent, bumpkin?" that convinced this hillbilly that I was never going to learn to growl, spit, roll my tongue, grunt - and disguise my birthright nasal twang - well enough to get out of C territory.

So, for the memories, Amazing Race:

SLAP!

11-04-13, 01:12 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Austria"

Agreed, that was the most unfair Roadblock ever. It wouldn't be so bad if they only had to get the pronunciations right, but having to carry the tune too in the right vocal range was just too much.

Clap: The hedge maze was neat. But if only it could have been bigger.

Slap: I'm done with Fast Forwards that require no skill, just 'guts'. Bungee Jumping? Frankly the singing test would have been a better Fast Forward and the Roadblock should have been the bungee jumping (on a better weather day).

11-04-13, 04:32 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Austria"
I have personal stuff going on that limits my time here on the boards but last night really p'ssed me off. They should be slapped with a 2 X 4 for this leg. Start off with a bump point, even all the teams up. Right to a Detour that everyone completes in a minimal amount of time. Wind up at a Roadblock that has subjective judging and which could be nearly impossible for some racers.

I have watched every single episode of TAR since season two. Haven't missed one. This is the very first time I am actually considering skipping the rest of the season. Every team left is not someone I want to see win.

11-04-13, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Austria"
Meh. It's no more unfair than a roadblock that requires physical prowess for someone who is out of shape. Or one that requires swimming for someone who is afraid of water. Or one that requires cooking skillz for someone whose most noteworthy accomplishment in the kitchen is having once managed to burn soup. Or one that requires a sense of direction someone who couldn't navigate their way out of a wet paper bag with a compass and a flashlight. Or one that involves paragliding/parachuting/bungyjumping/etc for someone who is scared of heights. And so on.

The judging seemed fair. They had to have the words learned reasonably well and to make a significant improvement on singing between the first attempt and the final. I don't see the problem.

Clap: Singing task. So there.

11-05-13, 12:36 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Austria"
I think there is a big difference. All the tasks you mentioned can be overcome by trying harder, reading cooking directions, overcoming fears of water/heights etc. No amount of trying harder is going to make my voice any prettier. Also, people who go on the race should, by now, understand the race involves physical tasks, swimming, bungee jumping (or some equiv task to be done on something very tall), driving a stick shift, and closely following directions. IMO, judged singing is akin to having a beauty contest as one of the tasks.

11-05-13, 07:44 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Austria"
They didn't expect anyone to attain perfection. Travis was one of the first to pass. Did you HEAR him? It wasn't good. But he had all the words and followed the music fairly well.

Jamal was even worse and passed.

The Blonde (I don't care enough to try to tell them apart) took forever, but sounded the best at the end.

What's-his-face got eliminated not because he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but because it took him too long to learn the words.

It doesn't matter how hard I try, I couldn't beat Tim & Marie in a task requiring speed or strength. OTOH, I'd kick their butts on the singing task, not because I have a good voice (I don't!!!), but because I speak German.

11-04-13, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Austria"
!SLAP! !SLAP! !SLAP! times a thousand for Marie for stealing the taxi and then trying to justify it by claiming the other team would have done it as well. Jason was remarkably restrained for the way Marie was pushing his buttons - she might have been thrown down the hill if I was there and she was spewing that justification toward me.

Snidget 44279 desperate attention whore postings

11-04-13, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Austria"
Especially that insisting no one could have enough self-awareness to know if one might have morals or ethics or not.

So, until she actually tries to be a spree killer or mass shooter she has no idea if she'd have a problem doing it or not?

Haunted by Tribe

11-08-13, 01:51 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Austria"
And completely ignoring them when they pointed out that they did have the opportunity to steal another team's cab (although the bags were still in it) and didn't.

11-04-13, 05:20 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Austria"
I'll add one more CLAP, albeit a rather personal one -- when I was in Vienna in 2010 I too visited Schönbrunn Palace. Alas, our tour group had to miss the maze because of a renovation project. Overall, it was impressive.

I think I have a picture of me not far from where the first clue box was set.

11-04-13, 05:49 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Austria"
Yup, I've been there as well... Vienna is one of my favourite places in the world - it's a short drive from where my sister-in-law's family lives in Bratislava (~30 mins from the Vienna airport, ~50 mins from the Schonbrunn).

11-11-13, 07:35 AM (EST)
44. "UAE"
No Hand Movement You'd like to think there would be another Muslim-majority country we could go to.

You'd really like to think that.

Slap The quota of 'descend from high places' tasks has now officially been filled for the next seven seasons. Which means we only have what, twelve more to go before the end of the current course?

Clap The dates branch of the Detour was just complicated enough to be challenging while not so finicky as to make it a random roulette wheel where eighty balls had to land in the right slots -- out of eight hundred -- on one spin. Also, I can't help but feel that one table was placed with malice aforethought.

Slap Believe it or not, I understand the clothing rules involved in going into the mosque and respect them. However, once outside the structure, you are asking the female contestants to run around in 100+ degree heat while wearing long sleeves. What was the plan in case someone collapsed? Because if you keep coming back here, you're going to need that plan. And apparently it can't involve taking off any layers to cool them down.

Clap However, I'm very glad we went to the mosque.

Slap And then we threw on more layers of clothing to get in the race car -- and that's before looking at the way the back wheels were skidding about on some of those turns. Plus you put the driver at risk of Marie. You just know she's a passenger-seat takeover expert. Who was just waiting for a chance to grab the wheel. And yank. Hard.

Slap There were two points on this leg where we needed more details than we got. First, there was the fishing net branch of the Detour. How exactly was one supposed to be assembled? We saw the finished stage, but this was a place where a high-speed short cell would have helped the viewers. Then we got to the race car lap. How long was it? How much time was required for one circuit (because we know they're not moving at the record speed)? How many cars were allowed on the track at the same time? It's minor stuff, but it gives us a better idea of how the field is sorting out across the duration of the task -- whatever that latter is.

Max Headroom 10056 desperate attention whore postings

11-11-13, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: UAE"
Clap The mosque. Any place that requires Marie to be quiet, respectful, and not yell at anybody should be visited more often.

Slap Another sequential leg with limited chances for teams to move up or down. The Afghanimals started the leg with a 10-minute lead... and ended the leg in first place, probably by about 10 minutes. And the 15-minute gap between yachts was especially arbitrary.

Clap At least it was a non-elimination leg. The baseball wives didn't deserve to be philiminated solely because they were 30 seconds late for a yacht departure.

Slap Bad editing at the race car circuit. At one point we saw Baseball Wife #1 talking to Kings Ice Girl #1 trackside, yet Baseball Wife #2 hadn't reached the task yet.

Oversized SLAP! For this whole season. I've been a fan of TAR since season 1, but this iteration of the show has been predictable and boring, to the point where (for the first time ever) I've started DVRing the show and watching at a later, more convenient time/day.

11-11-13, 11:38 PM (EST)
48. "RE: UAE"
At one point we saw Baseball Wife #1 talking to Kings Ice Girl #1 trackside, yet Baseball Wife #2 hadn't reached the task yet.

I noticed that, too. But if you pay attention, the person doing the task ran uphill to the rappelling task while the person waiting walked downhill to the track to wait.

KwietOne 1104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-11-13, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: UAE"
CLAP The mosque. Beautiful!

11-11-13, 02:20 PM (EST)
47. "RE: UAE"
LAST EDITED ON 11-11-13 AT 02:21 PM (EST)

Another CLAP for the Mosque visit.

As for the rest of the episode -- YAWN.

Let's have a pool for the complexity of the baseball wives' upcoming extra task -- I'll go with something akin to "Identify the real camel" when shown a line of a horse, Jamie Farr, and pack of cigarettes.

thanks once again to Slicey

11-11-13, 11:40 PM (EST)
49. "RE: UAE"
Slap The quota of 'descend from high places' tasks has now officially been filled for the next seven seasons. Which means we only have what, twelve more to go before the end of the current course?

Yes, yes, this! Not only "descend from high places" but "and we're going to trick you into it" has also been obnoxious this season.

11-18-13, 08:10 AM (EST)
50. "UAE II"
Slap As far as 'puzzles' go... well, at least it wasn't asking them to solve the mystery of counting from one to one hundred. That would have just been totally ridiculous. Unless the Globetrotters had been doing it, in which case, two-part episode.

Slap Because the one thing we really want to teach people about to navigate Class 4 rapids is 'stand up in the raft, then jump'.

Clap Camels are like male teenagers: spitting, kicking bad attitudes made mostly from knees. Once you realize that, you know how to handle them. If you don't, you know how to bring entertainment. (No penalty for the chance of injured teams here: camels can kick hard, but the Racers should have been watching their position.) And I'll forgive a 'discretion of the judges' task because the teams were in fact given rigid standards to pick with.

Slap So -- why are we going to the dunes? Okay... and why are we leaving without having done more than just picking up a clue and kicking up sand? Waste of episode time.

Slap Once again, Speed Bump + U-Turn = Eliminate One Team Free.

No Hand Movement Tim & Marie getting lost looking for a clue box is, as always, the fault of Tim & Marie.

Clap Dollar leg! -- now if only there had been some expenses...

No Hand Movement Really not sure about the food prep branch here: there seemed to be a lot of work involved and it was certainly time-consuming -- but without a Gordon around, it just came across as chopping stuff for a while.

Sarcastic Clap Oh, are we allowing short sleeves again?

Starshine 5010 desperate attention whore postings

11-18-13, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: UAE II"
Clap Hubba Hubba sexy camels, just what the show has always needed

Clap (ish) no bunch point before the speed bump or U-turn at least teams had a chance of survival

11-18-13, 10:16 AM (EST)
52. "RE: UAE II"
Slap - No suspense. It was obvious who was going home.

Slap - To Tim & Marie for not U-turning Ashley & Allie instead of Nicky & Kim. It would have made the leg much more interesting.

No Hand Movement - The Speed Bump. It wasn't throw a coin in this fountain but imagine a team like Rowan & Shane attempting it?

A Kermit Washington Punch - To the casting director. I don't like a single member of any of the remaining teams. First season that has happened. Makes me less enthusiastic to watch every Sunday.

11-18-13, 12:46 PM (EST)
53. "RE: UAE II"
I'd give a Slap to Tim & Marie for U-Turning Nicky & Kim instead of Ally & Ashley. The Crazy Exes did it out of revenge for something that was actually legitimate and was all the way back in Leg 3, anyway. Ally & Ashley were allies of the Afghanimals, so it would have made more sense to get rid of allies of the Afghanimals if you couldn't get rid of the Afghanimals themselves.

11-18-13, 05:26 PM (EST)
54. "RE: UAE II"
!Slap! to the camel for kicking the wrong member of the Tim and Marie team.

11-19-13, 03:11 PM (EST)
55. "RE: UAE II"
SLAP -- Hold on a second for a minute here -- there was a puzzle?

No Hand Movement -- Thank the Powers that Be the racers were given local experts to deal with recalcitrant camels. Thems some nasty critters.

Slap -- Killing a Dune Buggy clutch should have been punished severely.

Clap -- The happy wedding folks dancing with the Afghanimals.

Seana did another one.

11-25-13, 07:42 AM (EST)
56. "Indonesia"
Not much good on this leg from the Production end -- but not much bad, either. This was The Stop Of Meh.

No Hand Movement It's hard to say what the difficulty in the bird branch of the Detour was when only one team took it. I'm guessing some of the birds would have taken longer to sing than others, adding a serious dumb luck element -- but we don't know, and at least the judging for a no-direct-influence task came down to 'Did the bird sing? Leave'.

No Hand Movement The Roadblock clue essentially had no useful information in it -- but those paying attention to the area would have heard the music.

No Hand Movement I can't really criticize the ram games as animal abuse. They're rams: they're going to do it anyway. But at the same time, there wasn't much point to the stop: no ability to determine if you would get cooperative animals and a chance of injury if the ram got mad at you. We came, we saw, we possibly dodged, we left.

No Hand Movement Having the kids cheer to let you know it was done correctly: good. Getting an adult saying you messed up the frame a split-second later: ouch. The opinion of the judges was not final...

No Hand Movement Destroying model provided to keep teams from studying it: against the rules. Destroying your own passed work: go right ahead.

12-02-13, 09:18 AM (EST)
57. "Indonesia II"
*!CLAP!* Oh gawds, the scenery... A gorgeous leg with fantastic camera work, at least once you leave the makeup challenge out.

Clap Definition of Mundane Made Awesome: make a hard-boiled egg -- using a volcano.

No Hand Movement There are many reasons not to be fond of the makeup Detour branch, and only a few of them made drag queens all over the country cry. However, the judge's standard was consistent. Call it a frustrated neutral.

Slap Search. Task. I do realize that one may have only been as difficult as it was due to who was doing it, but the fact remains: Search. Task.

No Hand Movement A non-elimination was inevitable on this leg. What bothers me is that the teams likely knew it. (Excepting Marie.)

Clap As local food goes, most of the freak-out elements in cobra involve the name and lingering fears of venom sacs. But it's not exactly like preparing stonefish -- which means this was more of a Fear Factor challenge: get past yourself and you're fine. Decent choice.

12-02-13, 12:34 PM (EST)
58. "RE: Indonesia II"
LAST EDITED ON 12-02-13 AT 12:41 PM (EST)

DOUBLE CLAP!! Absotively, the scenery was incredible.

CLAP "The volcano smells like butts."

SLAP to the editing folks The Afghanimals getting their egg-boiling clue with the NOTE: Marie must do this task addendum.
Minor confession -- this was only clear when TiVo freeze frame methods were applied

??? The aforementioned Marie must instruction in the proper Road Block packet.

SLAP To Marie for her sheer blondness.
I really have to wonder just who told her "PUT THE EGGS IN THE WATER, DUMMY!" I shall remain mute on Tim's ESP-like powers during the same time...

CLAP Come-on, seeing those macho men in over-the-top bridal make-up is worth the million dollars on its own.

12-02-13, 07:03 PM (EST)
63. "RE: Indonesia II"
I do understand the visible note to Marie. The clue envelopes aren't labeled with team names: if they were, you'd know who was ahead of you plus which pairs had yet to arrive. So if there's a special notice for a given Racer, it has to be in every packet.

12-02-13, 12:40 PM (EST)
59. "RE: Indonesia II"
Which is why I would have gone for the makeup Detour. No search tasks for me unless there's no choice.

As for the choice of king cobra as local food, I sympathized with Marie. I'm a finicky eater as well, although I attribute that to having Asperger's Syndrome. When I heard how finicky Marie was, I thought "And I thought I was a finicky eater!" But you're right -- all one had to do was get past your fear of lingering venom sacs or finickiness and you're fine.

Max Headroom 10056 desperate attention whore postings

12-02-13, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: Indonesia II"
Clap To the editors for softening the awful edit that Marie was getting. If I hadn't watched the first several episodes of the season, I might even think she was cute.

Clap To the editors for showing the dark side of Travis and Nicole. Their portrayed sainthood was wearing on me.

Clap Echoing others, the scenery was great. TAR needs to bring back the travelogue mindset of early seasons.

Clap Loved seeing the reactions of the cab drivers to some of the commentary from the teams. Even though it could've been spliced-together editing of something unrelated to what was said, it still made me chuckle.

Slap Every season there's a non-elimination once the cast is down to four teams. Why not mix up the formula a little bit?

12-02-13, 05:38 PM (EST)
61. "RE: Indonesia II"
>Clap To the editors for softening
>the awful edit that Marie
>was getting.

*sigh* ... Anyone else think that Marie and Tim are going to win the race? Either that or they're being groomed to return in a future season (scuttlebutt is that season 24 is a returnee one).

KwietOne 1104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-02-13, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: Indonesia II"
CLAP The scenery of the rolling hills where Leo/Jamal was performing that task AND the pitstop. It must have been literally cool down there.

SLAP That task where Leo/Jamal spent. So, they searched, found, and that was it?

CLAP Making them transport a whole stack of eggs...on a moped...in rough terrain, then boiling eggs...in a volcano...then making them travel all the way back! Wow!

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •