The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Globetrottrer penalty"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

esquire 1089 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

03-07-11, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail esquire Click to send private message to esquire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Globetrottrer penalty"
Does anyone else think the way they handed out the 30 minute penalty to the Globetrotters was weird.

Either Phil knew or did not know about what happened with the fanny bag before Ron/Christine checked in.

If he did not know what happened before Ron/Christine checked in, why was Phil giving out a 30 minute penalty just on the word of Ron/Christine. Shouldn't he do a little investigation before handing out the penalty. Shouldn't he at least ask the Globetrotters their side of the story. Shouldn't he ask a production staff member that was on the scene what happened?

If he did know what happened before Ron/Christine checked in, why was he acting like he was just finding out and needed for Ron/Christine to complain before giving the Globetrotters a penalty. Would there have been no penalty, even if TAR knew about what happened if Ron/Christine did not complain?

Either way I was left feeling the whole 30 minute penalty process was somewhat arbitrary

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Globetrottrer penalty CTgirl 03-07-11 1
 RE: Globetrottrer penalty cahaya 03-07-11 2
   RE: Globetrottrer penalty ARnutz 03-07-11 5
       RE: Globetrottrer penalty Earl Colby Pottinger 03-08-11 14
 RE: Globetrottrer penalty Max Headroom 03-07-11 3
   RE: Globetrottrer penalty ARnutz 03-07-11 6
       RE: Globetrottrer penalty CTgirl 03-07-11 7
           RE: Globetrottrer penalty ARnutz 03-07-11 11
               RE: Globetrottrer penalty michel 03-11-11 21
       RE: Globetrottrer penalty beau_30 03-07-11 9
           RE: Globetrottrer penalty ARnutz 03-07-11 12
       RE: Globetrottrer penalty Earl Colby Pottinger 03-08-11 15
       Jet & Cord or Another Team samboohoo 03-11-11 19
           RE: Jet & Cord or Another Team ARnutz 03-11-11 20
 RE: Globetrottrer penalty PsychoKitty 03-07-11 4
   RE: Globetrotter penalty kidflash212 03-07-11 8
   RE: Globetrottrer penalty Nume 03-07-11 10
       RE: Globetrottrer penalty sportsjoe 03-08-11 13
   RE: Globetrottrer penalty Earl Colby Pottinger 03-10-11 16
       RE: Globetrottrer penalty Starshine 03-11-11 18
 RE: Globetrottrer penalty TARFAN76 03-10-11 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-07-11, 04:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I found it odd too. I was wondering if he was just waiting for them to complain about it to assess the penalty. If they didn't mention it maybe the Globetrotters would have been safe. It's kind of in the gray area of the rules.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-11, 04:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
The way the mat interview with Ron and Christina went, I think Phil knew this in advance. I have a notion that camera operators inform someone in the crew when an unusual situation arises such as this (as well as including the medical emergency that we saw this week, too).

What did surprise me, though, is that he didn't mention anything about this to the Trotters, and we never saw him telling the Trotters that they were being imposed a 30 minute penalty. Perhaps they were already off to their Pit Stop rooms and not available in time for this to be assessed on the spot.

I don't think the 30 minute process was arbitrary, but with some events not shown to the viewer (i.e., Phil informing the Trotters of the penalty) I do think the editing of it was.

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-11, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I agree that the editing of it was weird.

I happen to think that Phil may not have known when Herb/Nate first arrived, then when Ron/Chris got there and said something, it was verified by Ron/Chris' camera guys... but at that point, Herb/Nate were already away from the mat.

It is possible that they will show Phil telling them next week at the pit start.

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-08-11, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I think that makes the most sense. Maybe Phil waited until they arrive to confirm that it was not a deliberate attempt mess with another player's pack which 100% against the rules. It did look like from the start that it was a simple mistake on the HGT part, but really they should had put the pack back to it's original spot, that would had taken them a lot less the 30 minutes to do.

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-11, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I felt the penalty was not warranted at all. The Globetrotters made an innocent mistake and made a reasonable effort to make things right. Had Ron & Christina not arrived at the mat in a whiny mood, I doubt any penalty would have been issued.

03-07-11, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I disagree. The movement of Ron/Chris' bag impeded their progress on the race. If Herb/Nate put it back, then that is different, but Ron/Chris lost time searching for it because they moved it.

There is an explicit rule which says teams are not allowed to do this. This has come up before. If you recall during their season, Jet/Cord moved some items (bicycle pumps?) and they were assessed a penalty. I feel this is very much the same kind of thing.

CTgirl 7073 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-11, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
The difference is that Jet/Cord did it maliciously to slow people up. The Globetrotters made a mistake; they just didn't take the time to fix it. I see both sides of the situation and think Phil made a fair assessment.

03-07-11, 10:29 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
Whether it's intentional or not, they slowed another team by their mistake.

Herb/Nate did not intend to slow down Ron/Chris, but the time Ron/Chris spent searching for the pack DID cause them to be delayed.

From fanwiki:

Hindering or Impeding: No person or team is allowed to get in the way or prevent other teams from proceeding with what they have to do in the Race, except when choosing to use the Yield on them, which is part of the game. Otherwise, a 30-minute time penalty will be imposed. (E.G.: TAR 6, Leg 2 - After the Detour, Don & Mary Jean drove off in Adam & Rebecca's van by mistake, on their way to the Pit Stop. When they realized this, they went back and gave it back to A&R, but they still incurred the 30-minute penalty.)

michel 10812 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-11, 01:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
All "rulings" depend on the humor of the producers and how well the move plays on TV. Rob wasn't penalized for bribing a bus driver to keep the back door shut, hindering the progress of all the teams in the back of the bus. It's always arbitrary.

beau_30 943 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-07-11, 08:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail beau_30 Click to send private message to beau_30 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I thought that was Mark and Micheal

03-07-11, 10:33 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
You're probably right. I did not look it up and mistakenly thought it was Jet/Cord.

03-08-11, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
Agree with the 30 minute penalty, but would like to add that Ron's whining was also a major source of their delay. He is clearly dragging the team down. How much time did he waste before going on like his daughter suggested? 5-15 minutes? That is time to get to the pit-stop earlier and thus leave in the morning sooner.

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-11, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Jet & Cord or Another Team"
I thought it was the two stunt brothers - Mike & Forgot his Name.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

03-11-11, 11:27 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Jet & Cord or Another Team"
Yes, Boo. Thank you. I was already corrected in post #9.

PsychoKitty 678 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-07-11, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PsychoKitty Click to send private message to PsychoKitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I agree with Max. I think it was an innocent mistake and it was great that they put the bag someplace "safe." It IS a race after all, so if they had backtracked and explained to Ron and Christine what had happened or returned the pack closer to where they were, they could have lost quite a bit of time themselves.

That said, I think the penalty was odd too. Maybe they wouldn't have penalized the guys if Ron and Christina had not complained. I don't think they deserved one.

Not that I have an opinion one way or another ;)
Signature by tribephyl

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-07-11, 07:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Globetrotter penalty"
If I damaged someone's property accidently, I'd still expect to pay to replace or fix it. Just because someone makes an innocent mistake doesn't mean they get a free pass. Just my opinion.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

Nume 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-07-11, 09:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Nume Click to send private message to Nume Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I think that it is enough of a "gray area" that there probably wouldn't have been any penalty assessed if Ron/Christina had not complained. This would explain why he didn't say anything to the Globetrotters when they came. In other words, he may have heard about it before, but since it was an honest mistake they wouldnt penalize them unless Ron/Christina actually had trouble finding it and complained (like if ron/christina wouldve gone right away to dressing room and not lost any time, it wouldnt have been an issue).

sportsjoe 61 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-08-11, 03:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sportsjoe Click to send private message to sportsjoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I agree, it was a little strange. Surprised it wasn't addressed when the Globetrotters checked in at the pitstop.

03-10-11, 01:49 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I wonder, if the HGT had returned to pack to the original spot before R&C had even returned from their task if there would be any time penalty at all. Since it would had made *ZERO* difference to how R&C runs then.

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-11-11, 04:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I hope that would have been the case, it was an honest mistake, it was just the way that they tried to fix it the affected Christina

TARFAN76 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-10-11, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TARFAN76 Click to send private message to TARFAN76 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Globetrottrer penalty"
I remember when Mark and Michael (the short brothers) tampered with the bicycle items ON PURPOSE to slow down other teams, that Phil was fairly vocal in his criticism. This time he did seem rather mild-mannered about a similar occurrence. Maybe the on purpose aspect was the key. However,I think losing money and passports is way more serious than having to untangle some parts. It was odd the way it was shown.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •