The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Production: claps & slaps"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Fanatics Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55194 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-21-11, 08:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Production: claps & slaps"
For notes on leg construction, task design, course layout, camera work, and the other elements which go into the actual assembly of the Race. It's sort of a behind-the-scenes GUFU with occasional positive notes, and it's one thread per season. Sort of like how it's one course leg per episode.

Um...

Clap? Understand: if they hit us with a Superleg on any no-retreads launch episode, I'd be applauding. In the absence of a two-hour premiere, it would be the best way to meet a new crowd -- and it gives the new Racers more of a chance to get used to the rhythms of the course, not to mention potentially evening out those first anti-breaks of luck. But with people we know already...

This might ultimately be a welcome addition to course design. But it's a weird place to see it crop up for the first time -- and having it here probably means we won't have it again for a while.

Slap Automatic U-Turn for the last team to complete what was partially a luck-based task? Why not just start the field with ten pairs and save everyone the potential heartache?

Clap Great setting for a starting line.

No Hand Movement The medical emergency on the first flight was an incident completely outside the control of the Race.

Clap Potentially the most fear-inducing Roadblock ever. Stingrays the size of a bed? Sharks longer than a boat? And it's your first time in scuba gear? Sure, let's pretend no one was on the verge of a full-fledged panic attack. And I mean the viewership.

Admit it: some of you closed your eyes.

Slap Deliberate imprecision of clue language. Previous Superlegs have told the Racers to report to Phil: use of 'Pit Stop' has signaled a rest. Teams could reasonably expect to be stopping for the night -- as could the viewers.

Clap The semaphore clue. Okay, we get it. They're stupid. Really, really stupid. Stupid beyond all rational casting belief. It was a fun clue anyway. But ye gawds, are these people dumb.

!Slap! And you cast them! Again!

Hold still. I have another hand.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Production: claps & slaps Max Headroom 02-21-11 1
 RE: Production: claps & slaps Molaholic 02-21-11 2
 RE: Production: claps & slaps ARnutz 02-21-11 3
 RE: Production: claps & slaps Earl Colby Pottinger 02-22-11 4
   RE: Production: claps & slaps jbug 02-22-11 5
   RE: Production: claps & slaps Estee 02-22-11 6
   RE: Production: claps & slaps vince3 02-22-11 7
       RE: Production: claps & slaps television 02-23-11 9
 RE: Production: claps & slaps Colonel Zoidberg 02-22-11 8
 Australia II kidflash212 02-28-11 10
   RE: Australia II Estee 02-28-11 11
       RE: Australia II Colonel Zoidberg 03-01-11 18
       RE: Australia II featherfish81 03-02-11 20
           RE: Australia II Estee 03-03-11 21
   RE: Australia II Max Headroom 02-28-11 12
       RE: Australia II kidflash212 02-28-11 16
   RE: Australia II realworld10 02-28-11 13
   RE: Australia II jbug 02-28-11 14
   RE: Australia II ARnutz 02-28-11 15
   RE: Australia II Molaholic 03-01-11 17
   RE: Australia II Starshine 03-01-11 19
 Japan Estee 03-07-11 22
   RE: Japan Max Headroom 03-07-11 23
       RE: Japan Molaholic 03-09-11 28
   RE: Japan kidflash212 03-07-11 24
       RE: Japan Estee 03-07-11 25
   RE: Japan featherfish81 03-07-11 26
       RE: Japan Earl Colby Pottinger 03-08-11 27
 China I & II Estee 03-21-11 29
   RE: China I & II kidflash212 03-21-11 30
   RE: China I & II Max Headroom 03-21-11 31
   RE: China I & II kidflash212 03-21-11 32
   RE: China I & II BrassFan 03-21-11 33
       RE: China I & II jbug 03-22-11 35
   RE: China I & II Molaholic 03-22-11 34
   RE: China I & II Earl Colby Pottinger 03-28-11 39
       RE: China I & II Estee 03-28-11 40
           RE: China I & II Earl Colby Pottinger 04-09-11 42
               RE: China I & II featherfish81 04-10-11 43
 India I Estee 03-28-11 36
   RE: India I Molaholic 03-28-11 37
   RE: India I jbug 03-28-11 38
   RE: India I Starshine 04-07-11 41
 India II Estee 04-11-11 44
   RE: India II jbug 04-11-11 45
   RE: India II Molaholic 04-11-11 46
   RE: India II featherfish81 04-11-11 47
   RE: India II Max Headroom 04-13-11 48
   RE: India II qwertypie 04-13-11 49
 Austria Max Headroom 04-18-11 50
   RE: Austria kidflash212 04-18-11 51
       RE: Austria Bursar 04-18-11 52
           RE: Austria kidflash212 04-18-11 54
       RE: Austria Nume 04-18-11 55
   RE: Austria Molaholic 04-18-11 53
   RE: Austria Estee 04-19-11 56
   RE: Austria Colonel Zoidberg 04-19-11 57
 Alps Estee 04-25-11 58
   RE: Alps Max Headroom 04-25-11 59
       RE: Alps mrc 04-25-11 60
   RE: Alps jbug 04-25-11 61
   RE: Alps Molaholic 04-25-11 62
   RE: Alps samboohoo 04-25-11 63
   RE: Alps kidflash212 04-25-11 64
       RE: Alps Molaholic 04-26-11 65
       RE: Alps Starshine 04-27-11 68
   RE: Alps Colonel Zoidberg 04-26-11 66
   RE: Alps cahaya 04-26-11 67
 Switzerland Estee 05-02-11 69
   RE: Switzerland jbug 05-02-11 70
       RE: Switzerland qwertypie 05-02-11 79
   RE: Switzerland emydi 05-02-11 71
       RE: Switzerland Molaholic 05-02-11 72
           RE: Switzerland emydi 05-02-11 73
               RE: Switzerland mindy23 05-02-11 74
   RE: Switzerland featherfish81 05-02-11 75
       RE: Switzerland jbug 05-02-11 76
           RE: Switzerland featherfish81 05-04-11 81
       RE: Switzerland Estee 05-02-11 77
   RE: Switzerland Molaholic 05-02-11 78
   RE: Switzerland qwertypie 05-02-11 80
 Finale Estee 05-09-11 82
   RE: Finale Max Headroom 05-09-11 83
       RE: Finale qwertypie 05-09-11 88
   RE: Finale kidflash212 05-09-11 84
   RE: Finale Starshine 05-09-11 85
       RE: Finale kidflash212 05-09-11 86
   RE: Finale Molaholic 05-09-11 87
   LOL moonbaby 05-13-11 89
       RE: LOL olathejoe 05-13-11 90

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10028 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-11, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
Clap For starting the leg with a series of non-physical tasks. Flying to the other side of the world is grueling enough; there's no need to have a difficult rock climb or something similar upon arrival.

Slap With the first set of tasks, the producers have already identified/confirmed which teams will have epic fails during mental tasks. The only suspense will be for us to see which dumb-dumb team gets Philiminated after each mental task.

Slap On principle I dislike non-elimination legs, and I especially dislike a TBC on the first leg. Either schedule a two-hour premiere or Philiminate someone at the mat.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Molaholic 8451 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-11, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
Slap - Starting the teams in Palm Springs then having them drive to LAX? Something like a two-plus hour adventure in the best of times (and no video of traffic snarls along the way?)

Clap - Flight Easy/Big Time for being the only racer to actually show concern for the heart attack victim.

Slap - Globe Trotter tee-shirts for Nate and Not-Nate.

~~BTARRetread siggie pending~~~

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

02-21-11, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
Slap - for Jamie saying getoffmyfoot.getoffmyfoot.getoffmyfoot.getoffmyfoot.

Slap - for Margie so rudely snatching the clue from the commodore.

Clap - ditto Molie's clap for Flight Time actually being a decent human being while delayed in Honolulu.

Yeah, so none of them are 'production' things. Oh well!

Earl Colby Pottinger 1803 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

02-22-11, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
LAST EDITED ON 02-22-11 AT 10:16 AM (EST)

>> Clap? Absence of a two-hour premiere.

Slap for me, I wish all legs were two hours long so they would not edit out so much.

>> Slap Automatic U-Turn for the last team to complete what was partially a luck-based task?

Luck? What luck? Phil told them the full name that QANTAS stands for? Besides how can you enter a race around the world and not associate QANTAS and Down-Under together?

>> Why not just start the field with ten pairs and save everyone the potential heartache?

Because it puts the last place team on fire, last to second - and they sure came close to first place.

>> Clap Great setting for a starting line.

Clapping too.

>> No Hand Movement The medical emergency on the first flight.

Proof no-one should think their position/lead as fixed until they reach the pit-stop.

>> Clap, Stingrays? Sharks? Scuba gear?

Fun! I did not blink incase I missed the fun.

>> Admit it: some of you closed your eyes.

Nope.

>> Slap: use of 'Pit Stop' has signaled a rest.

Never gave it a second thought, besides I am sure they did this before in India (Remember Rob's face? Fun).

>> Clap The semaphore clue.

Lord are they dumb.

>> !Slap! And you cast them! Again!

But it is so much FUN!!! How could the producers resist?

VERY BIG SLAP!

Not having a penalty for not going to the location of the flags, trying but not being able to meet the task of decoding the flags and getting help from another team is one thing. Not even bothering to go to the location of the task is another. A race has a track or path, and leaving that path usually means you lose.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-11, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
I wish all legs were two hours long so they would not edit out so much.

I agree. If The Bachelor can be 2 hours every week, why can't TAR?

02-22-11, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
Luck? What luck? Phil told them the full name that QANTAS stands for?

They still have to find the right paper airplane in a very large field of wrong ones: glance the wrong way and lose five minutes.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

02-22-11, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
To add what Estee said: the first word of QANTAS is Queensland, and there were a couple of different airline names on those planes with Queensland on it...

television 272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-23-11, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail television Click to send private message to television Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
Which I think would decrease the 'chance' aspect of it, and increase the 'teams who did their research and know a bit about the world get an advantage' aspect. Clap for me, I don't think the 'luck' part of the task was higher than the skill part.

Colonel Zoidberg 3645 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-22-11, 08:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Production: claps & slaps"
Clap: Giving an automatic U-Turn for finishing last in the first task.

Slap: Not making the first task the semaphore thing. Jet and Cord would still be there.

Clap: Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...superleg! And it's about time the first leg was nonelim in some form, though making the last team eat a live snake at the Pit Stop or something would be far more entertaining.

Slap: "I am between the Devil and the deep blue sea" has "clue-worthy" written all over it - and they totally wasted it.

Clap: It's about damn time this was shot in HD. Australia never looked so good.

Slap: 'Course, Big Easy's head never looked so big, either.

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-11, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Australia II"
Slap - for the strange design of this leg. Superlegs have never before had an actual Pit Stop in the middle of the race complete with Native Greeter and a prize for the first place team which makes this entire leg oddly paced.

Slap - the bunch point. In the middle of a superleg, you have an 18-20 hour bunch point? Teams could have actually quit the flag task, taken a six (or is it 8) hour penalty and still made the second plane with four other teams.

Capn2patch put me in motion!

02-28-11, 03:46 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Australia II"
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-11 AT 03:47 PM (EST)

Slap Yes, it was a stupid place for a bunch point. Half a time of verifying your IQ test results should be penalized with more than a half-hour wait. If it's a true Superleg, then re-equalizing in the middle of it makes no sense. Just wave them on to the next stage of panic and keep going with no breaks of any kind.

Clap Humiliating Racers by putting them in idiotic-looking costumes: when has that ever been a bad idea?

Slap We're going into the heart of Australia, featuring original art creations in the Detour, and we're not making a stop at Uluru? Come on: if there was ever a time to climb a tall thing just to collect a clue and go back down...

Slap At some point, Racers given a thought-based task have to read some additional instructions in the clue. As in 'You may not get the answer from another team. You may not ask a local for the answer. You may not use a smartphone, Internet access, or library. You may pray, but see how much good that does you.' Too many teams are reacting to mental challenges by looking anywhere but themselves. And while that's partially a casting fault, it's still a bad trend to turn into a full-scale rut.

Slap No team waiting at the stadium? No taste of Australian Rules Football? No one tackled into the dirt?

Clap/Slap Good Detour design, especially knowing there was a mandatory U-turn for one team. I really think that with a different performance, it would have been possible to clear both halves without losing too much time. But you also had to realize that this was going to be another groupthink decision to avoid the stencils because in these days of Toxic Everything, most Americans are going to be nervous about the whole paint-in-mouth prospect. Decent task, yes -- but arguably made to not be chosen.

03-01-11, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Australia II"
Slap Not so much a slap as a right hook - totally blowing Superleg with a damn bunch point the size of the Australian Outback. Seriously - I think some of these teams could have walked to Broken Hill faster than the flights were to take them if they wanted to keep their leads. Granted, I get it - Mel and Mike might have turned into dust if they had to keep racing right away, but that was the one positive of the bunch point compared to a million negatives - like actually making Jet and Cord feel even more stupid than they already are.

Slap And this is more of a clothesline task - I guess if we want rugby in TAR, I have to write it myself.

Clap Best written clues ever. The one with the periodic table as the clue? I could pretty well tell from the fact that they were street names that the clue was at an intersection, but there are so many variables - the pressure of the race, the fact that no one knows what the hell "Bismuth" is, or that "Hg" really means "Mercury," that it made it one of the greatest tasks ever. The fact that they all had to dress like kangaroos? Instant. Classic. In fact, they should have to do the entire rest of the Race in costume.

Slap So many bendable rules - looking up tasks, asking other teams for help on Roadblocks, etc. At least now they know what rules to change for next season. And though it's not currently relevant - please get rid of begging.

Left-hook this time The damn bunch point. I cannot emphasize this enough - this would be the equivalent of the Miami Heat making LeBron James a waterboy. Total. Waste. Of. Awesome.

featherfish81 391 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-02-11, 06:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Australia II"
>LAST EDITED ON 02-28-11
>AT 03:47 PM (EST)

>
>Slap At some point, Racers given a thought-based task have to read some additional instructions in the clue. As in 'You may not get the answer from another team. You may not ask a local for the answer. You may not use a smartphone, Internet access, or library. You may pray, but see how much good that does you.' Too many teams are reacting to mental challenges by looking anywhere but themselves. And while that's partially a casting fault, it's still a bad trend to turn into a full-scale rut.

I assume you think this should only apply to certain clues (flags, periodic table)? Otherwise how are the racers supposed to know where the "Home of the Magpies" is if they can't ask anyone or use a computer?

03-03-11, 07:02 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Australia II"
For the Globetrotters, I'll accept it on 'What are your real names and how do you spell them?'

02-28-11, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Australia II"
Slap For repeatedly showing the same footage of Jet and Cord scratching their heads at the final task from Leg 1. We get it, they're last and they need to get a move on.

Clap Phil's calling out of Pompous Ron for calling him "Bill". Cracked me up.

Slap I agree with kidflash, the bunch point was idiotic in a superleg. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find more things for teams to do in the Sydney area.

02-28-11, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Australia II"
It was very strange - "You're still racing - go wait for 12-16 hours".

realworld10 45 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-28-11, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realworld10 Click to send private message to realworld10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Australia II"
Clap - big time - kangaroo suits and they looked like fun too with those bouncy things on their feet. They looked ridiculous - but it had to be fun.

Slap - not enough local flavor - no team at the stadium - would have loved to seen Australian football

Clap - the kangaroo (or wallaby - can't really tell the difference) checking out the players - too cute

Slap - win the first leg of the race and win a trip to Mexico? Seems pretty tame - I've seen bigger prizes. You would think the first leg - and it being a super-leg - would have netted them a bigger prize.

02-28-11, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Australia II"
Clap: Phil asking Zev & Justin if they still had their passports.

ARnutz 13792 desperate attention whore postings

02-28-11, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Australia II"
Slap: Mallory - In the words of Cher (in Moonstruck) SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Slap: Ron - just for general purposes!

03-01-11, 00:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Australia II"
Slap - Yea, lame placement of the non-pit stop & bunch point. (Question - it looked like the Cowdolts made the local airport without a whole lot of time to spare. So what was the plan if they actually missed that 6:30 flight?)

Clap - Bouncing joey on Flight Time.

Slap - What, no stick-shift cars?

Slap - Ditto the lack of an Aussie-footie flavour at the stadium.

~~~Rule Checker Siggie Pending~~~

Starshine 4934 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-01-11, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Australia II"
Clap - Overall design of the leg, I wasn't happy with the K&A U-Turn, however they had plenty of time to make up for it by racing well, they didn't.

Slap - If you are going to use charter flights then why not have them a bit sooner

Hand Wave - On the other hand teams have now blown a lot of money on hotels or tried to sleep in an airport, fatigue may make the race more interesting.

SLAP - Following the leader is getting very boring

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

03-07-11, 10:10 AM (EST)
22. "Japan"
Clap Yes! We got out of Tokyo!

Slap Two physically risky Detour branches. If there's anything worse for your health than a minute spent in ice water, it's potential hours in your undergarments while shin-deep in cold mud while being pelted with more of the same. Mike told Mel to stop because he cared about what was happening to his father. You can fault it for strategy, but not for compassion -- and let's face it: there was a real danger there and it was increasing by the minute. That medical van was there for a reason.

Clap Credit where it's due: the setting and execution of the prayer were beautiful.

Clap This will be put in its own thread shortly, but it bears mentioning here: seeing some of these Racers getting nailed with mudballs was a fundamental good. (Charging people admission and donating the proceeds to charity could have raised millions. And whatever that ultimate number was, put the Weavers on the course and double it.)

No hand movement That was a lot of cash for a leg where Racers were driving themselves and no tolls appeared to be involved. Did they have to pay for the cars coming off the carousel, or were they being fund-loaded for subsequent legs? We never found out what they needed to spend that on, so...

Clap/Slap The Roadblock was entertaining and well-designed, especially in the safety factors: it was clearly going to be hard for any Racer to misaim badly enough to cause injury. But if the task is that detail-oriented and relies on absolutely mastering the correct routine, we need to see more of said routine to spot what they're doing wrong over and over again.

Slap Since when does Phil not know about a penalty event on the course? On every other occasion, he's been updated and ready to hand down the time as soon as the offending team hit the mat. I was waiting for him to nail the Globetrotters with 'third team to arrive'. And it took Ron & Christina to fill him in? Someone missed their call-in cue, and it makes it look as if nothing would have happened at all should the injured parties fail to complain. And for that matter, this is something the camera crew arguably should have stopped on their own...

03-07-11, 10:29 AM (EST)
23. "RE: Japan"
Clap Kamakura is a worthy destination. It's too bad they didn't go see the Great Buddha. Getting there by car would be a challenge; I went by train when I was there.

Clap For making the teams drive themselves in Japan. Tokyo is confusing to navigate even for locals.

Slap For giving the Globetrotters a time penalty for an innocent mistake, and for announcing it on the spot when Ron and Christina arrived and complained.

Final thought:
No hand movement - That was a lot of cash for a leg where Racers were driving themselves and no tolls appeared to be involved. Did they have to pay for the cars coming off the carousel, or were they being fund-loaded for subsequent legs? We never found out what they needed to spend that on, so...

I've traveled to Japan, and everything is expensive there. And not just run-of-the-mill costly, I'm talking a "makes New York City looks cheap" level of expense. I have no proof, but I suspect much of that money was spent throughout this leg.

03-09-11, 01:44 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Japan"
Kamakura is a worthy destination. It's too bad they didn't go see the Great Buddha. Getting there by car would be a challenge; I went by train when I was there.

I guess this can count as a remote peep meet (or maybe a one-degree of separation peep meet). I've been inside the Great Buddha myself (back in August '07). Fascinating, Beautiful, and Amazing.

03-07-11, 10:49 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Japan"
Slap - Don't racers have to take a physical before embarking on the Race? How did Mel get past that?

Slap - If Margie & Luke had chosen the other task on the detour, could they have ever completed it? Luke would not be able to chant the prayer.

03-07-11, 11:18 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Japan"
Slap - If Margie & Luke had chosen the other task on the detour, could they have ever completed it? Luke would not be able to chant the prayer.

I think Luke gets a little leeway on anything vocal: his warrior cry at the Roadblock wasn't a dead-on match, but he performed the rest of the routine to specifications and received his clue. If they'd gone to the prayer, he probably would have been okay as long as he matched the movements and shouted on cue during the final stage -- which he gets through seeing the instructor do it. (Remember, she was in the water with the teams.)

03-07-11, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail featherfish81 Click to send private message to featherfish81 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Japan"
Slap Since when does Phil not know about a penalty event on the course? On every other occasion, he's been updated and ready to hand down the time as soon as the offending team hit the mat. I was waiting for him to nail the Globetrotters with 'third team to arrive'. And it took Ron & Christina to fill him in? Someone missed their call-in cue, and it makes it look as if nothing would have happened at all should the injured parties fail to complain. And for that matter, this is something the camera crew arguably should have stopped on their own...

I agree that it looked odd for Phil not to know about the penalty ahead of time. Although they did arrive at the Pit Stop rather quickly, since another team managed to arrive within the penalty time and bump the Globetrotters down two spots. Maybe the crew just didn't have time to inform him, though I'm sure he confirmed the details before dishing out a penalty on Christina's say-so.

03-08-11, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to send private message to Earl%20Colby%20Pottinger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Japan"
We don't see it but I plan to replay that section and see if he is wearing an ear-piece. I was given one when I did a TV spot on Y2K, they even colour matched it to my skin colour so it would not stand out.

03-21-11, 09:00 AM (EST)
29. "China I & II"
If they can do it, we can do it.

Slap Kent & Vyxsin technically broke a rule by not taking the pre-assigned flight: I get that. But they gained no advantage by doing so. What was the other option here? 'We missed our plane and we're not allowed to take another. Let's just sit in the airport until Phil comes out to eliminate us.' Penalties should hit on breaking rules that give you an unfair edge or which hurt others -- not for dropping yourself further back. That thirty-minute wait was unfair.

mini-Clap On the other hand, at least they knew they had the penalty then and there: hitting them with it at the actual Pit Stop... ouch.

Slap Unlike our last venture into truly high altitudes, the teams were given no warning or means to prepare themselves once they reached the summit.

Slap Search. Task. Ye gawds. Why not just give them an endless selection of keys and have to try to unlock each year while you're at it?

No Hand Movement Most Americans aren't going to know the Chinese year zodiac by heart, but the majority might know a few of the animals (if not the order). So there arguably had to be a crib sheet of sorts available to keep the odds of getting out from being one in 12! -- and that was just for spotting the symbols. Similarly, writing the names down on the wish cylinder was fine. Casting people who yell out every last one has been covered.

Clap Two Detour branches on a U-Turn leg which could potentially be completed quickly meant the teams hit weren't automatically Bottom Two. (It looked like the main issue was travel time.) Maybe you're starting to figure this thing out.

Slap Arguably a fun Roadblock, but there was one major problem: that hip assembly. Can you casually spot the difference between a good job and a bad one? How about after looking at the bone diagram? Because that says nothing about slide-and-lock models. You can't, can you? And the judge is giving no hints about what's wrong, it's not going to be spotted on an unknowing gaze-over, and no one on the course is an engineer. Take it all apart and start over, because finding that one small problem area is going to take longer than a total redo. Just too finicky for an already-difficult task.

No Hand Movement You can't control taxi drivers and their decisions to head for the wrong place or leave early.

Slap On the other hand, you could put a rule in for stealing someone's ride. It's sort of overdue.

Clap You picked a really nice building for Kent to jump off!

Slap Okay, is the Superleg the new NEL or not? The Racers have to be confused by now and we're not that far behind them.

03-21-11, 09:22 AM (EST)
30. "RE: China I & II"
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-11 AT 09:38 AM (EST)

Slap" Kent & Vyxsin technically broke a rule by not taking the pre-assigned flight: I get that. But they gained no advantage by doing so. What was the other option here? 'We missed our plane and we're not allowed to take another. Let's just sit in the airport until Phil comes out to eliminate us.' Penalties should hit on breaking rules that give you an unfair edge or which hurt others -- not for dropping yourself further back. That thirty-minute wait was unfair.

I agree - and to add to that, Ron & Christina also technically broke a rule when they took the wrong bus. In the past teams that realized they broke a rule had to return to the place where they started. Ron & Christina just flagged down the passing bus which means for at least part of that trip they were taking transportation they weren't supposed to. If Kent & Vyxsin got a penalty it seems Ron & Christina should have incurred one too.

03-21-11, 09:34 AM (EST)
31. "RE: China I & II"
Clap For continuing to take the Racers to out-of-the-way places in China. I've had that experience personally in China and getting around is very challenging.

Slap For having such a huge bunch point at the train station that Kent and Vyxsin were able to catch up.

Clap For showing the impromptu basketball game. It looked like a fun way for teams to let off some steam.

Loud laughter For Chinese-speaking Ron/Christina and their entourage of pursuing taxis being taken to the wrong cultural center.

03-21-11, 11:42 AM (EST)
32. "RE: China I & II"
Slap - to the Globetrotters for constantly howling that they survived a Double U-turn. They survived a U-turn. Double only refers to two different teams each getting a single U-turn.

Slap - To the bunch point. Again. It's not a superleg if there is a a big bunch point in the middle of it.

BrassFan 322 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-11, 07:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: China I & II"
>If they can do it, we
>can do it.
>
>Slap Kent & Vyxsin technically
>broke a rule by not
>taking the pre-assigned flight:
>I get that. But
>they gained no advantage by
>doing so. What was
>the other option here?
>'We missed our plane and
>we're not allowed to take
>another. Let's just sit
>in the airport until Phil
>comes out to eliminate us.'
> Penalties should hit on
>breaking rules that give you
>an unfair edge or which
>hurt others -- not for
>dropping yourself further back.
>That thirty-minute wait was unfair.

I disagree. I think that if the rules say you must do *this* and you don't do it, then you should get penalized. It's like that in every sport. I've seen tons of football games, for example, where a play is called back for holding; and the holding occured in a place where it had zero effect on the play.

My only gripe with the penalty was when it was served. It should have been served before they got their clue from Phil. Yes, that would have had no effect on the overall outcome, of that leg, but if there is a prize awarded to the winners, that's the end of the leg...not a simple "clue box".

Haven't we seen teams penalized before (like Nick and Viki), who quickly caught up during the next leg thanks to a bunching point?

03-22-11, 10:48 AM (EST)
35. "RE: China I & II"
My only gripe with the penalty was when it was served. It should have been served before they got their clue from Phil. Yes, that would have had no effect on the overall outcome, of that leg, but if there is a prize awarded to the winners, that's the end of the leg...not a simple "clue box".

I agree with this SLAP.
Are we sure they would have made the bunch up point if they had had to wait 30 minutes there? I don't know how far behind they were, but ...

03-22-11, 00:23 AM (EST)
34. "RE: China I & II"
Slap Yea, the (now) obligatory bunch point following a team making a major gaff.

Slap The 'tonight's culture lesson' commercial - tell us some about a country, not something fake.

Clap Ron & Christina being kind in Chinese but still going to the wrong place.

Slap Lame a$$ slide-and-lock dino models.

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.
siggie stolen from AyaK 1/26/11

03-28-11, 12:16 PM (EST)
39. "RE: China I & II"
>Slap Arguably a fun Roadblock,
>but there was one major
>problem: that hip assembly.
> Can you casually spot
>the difference between a good
>job and a bad one?
> How about after looking
>at the bone diagram?
>Because that says nothing about
>slide-and-lock models. You can't,
>can you? And the
>judge is giving no hints
>about what's wrong, it's not
>going to be spotted on
>an unknowing gaze-over, and no
>one on the course is
>an engineer. Take it
>all apart and start over,
>because finding that one small
>problem area is going to
>take longer than a total
>redo. Just too finicky
>for an already-difficult task.

I must disagree with you here. The Cowboys got their's by repeatingly going back to the demo model to check the progress, the other team members tried to depend on their memory for too many steps, if they had gone as often as the cowboy they probably would had far fewer mistakes.

03-28-11, 12:23 PM (EST)
40. "RE: China I & II"
After last night, I'm half-convinced the main reason Rail & Noose would have both needed to check the diagram every five minutes is because their memory can't retain more than two bones each.

But from what I remember of the diagram, the best view was the side one and on a very small scale. Still arguably not the best visual cue for getting the hip lock aligned properly.

04-09-11, 10:22 PM (EST)
42. "RE: China I & II"
Really, I think you are right about why they went back so often, but it is worthwhile noting that a person who admits a weakness (in this case memory) and then works to counter their problem can still do better than a person who is not as weak but refuses to acknowledge what problems they do have and thus does not try to counter their own problems.

Basically too many of the teams depended on their memories being right, and did not check for mistakes until well into their construction tasks.

04-10-11, 03:22 AM (EST)
43. "RE: China I & II"
I agree with you on that, especially on the teams trusting their own memories. I have a pretty good memory, but I think I still would be going back to check all of the time, especially considering how hard it looked to take pieces apart and how later construction depended on earlier construction, so you could potentially have to take the whole thing apart.

03-28-11, 09:38 AM (EST)
36. "India I"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-11 AT 09:39 AM (EST)

I'm in a slapping mood this morning.

Slap And we thought the gnome sellouts were bad? Tea used to be the industry of the area, sure, we could have had a major historical tour -- but in the end? Sponsor, somehow ruining everything left ruinable. And there was that extra-special effort to make sure 'You're the first to drink this, as long as you take out the testers, flavor scientists, and anyone who happened to be wandering through the lab at the time' sounded like the main first-place prize. Really, the rupees were just an afterthought. And y'know what they didn't show us last night? 'Marge and Luke, as your consolation for coming in last, have some more tea.'

Slap Which brings us to the Roadblock. To be fair, this was a search task where brainpower could be involved (as demonstrated by people who can't count to five). Sniff the drinks and hope to pick up the right mix, then grab the cup. And it's a wonder the other teams didn't follow that lead. But as Luke demonstrated, an extended stay was going to turn into a torture test. There's only so much liquid the stomach and kidneys can process, not to mention all the ingredients in the tea, any additives, and can you imagine if even a quarter of it was caffeinated? As with last season's fake sushi hunt, it was as if no one thought this all the way through.

Slap Fortunately for the Racers, Ganesha is pretty much the deity of easygoing reasonable-minded reaction. Unfortunately for the viewers, no one bothered to explain that. (Seriously, can you imagine the reactions from some of the other major world religions if their subject of worship got that treatment?)

Slap Let us now picture the Globetrotters crammed into the traveling school prisons.

Right. It's a funny image. But it's also cruel. The show has made efforts to accommodate height at one end of the scale. There should be an equal attempt to make sure the other far reaches cam have a little comfort in their surroundings. I'm not saying don't squeeze them at all -- that was the point of the ride -- but don't make them collapse their spines.

Slap Pit Stops in India should be accessible via foot travel with no taxis involved. Too much is being put in the hands of the local traffic.

03-28-11, 10:19 AM (EST)
37. "RE: India I"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-11 AT 10:46 AM (EST)

SLAP!! ditto the insensitivity to a religion slap.

Slap OK, India is over-populated & poverty-stricken. We've seen it, what, fifteen times now? Let's go someplace else.

Clap risking my own slap from our own dear Ron hater Ron and the tea.

Clap Good to see Omar Sharif working again as our genial tea host/judge.

03-28-11, 11:59 AM (EST)
38. "RE: India I"
Clap: Flight Time & Big Easy. Big easy was encouraging to Luke during the tea search - even if Luke couldn't hear him; Margie could. & then Flight Time giving them hugs. Nice guys.

04-07-11, 09:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: India I"
Clap The tea guys were so cool, and their joy for Whiny Luke was great

Slap Did you all skive off school during the tea tasting lessons?

clap I like the idea of having to remember or identify something from earlier in the leg to procede.

04-11-11, 12:32 PM (EST)
44. "India II"
Slap 'Here we have what could be fairly described as the filthiest river on the planet. We could have the teams go swimming in it. But that would make us cruel people, not to mention having to waste a lot of time in court when their relatives pointlessly sue us after they die. So instead, we'll have them handle fresh manure. It's a natural substance, so it'll be clean!'

(And then Vyxsin wound up in the river anyway.)

Mallory's shirt isn't to blame for the feces obsession. You are.

Slap Things to do in India: cross the Ganges, cross the Ganges, cross the Ganges...

No hand movement The Racers typically get demonstration stations and samples for this kind of task, so any error they made on manure patty size was their own fault.

Slap Two search tasks in one episode. (Any time you have to make a delivery, it's a search task.)

No hand movement So Rail & Noose didn't get a penalty for taking a later plane? (Is this sarcasm? Can anyone tell anymore?)

Slap The holy man search task had a few design flaws. We spotted one courtesy of Ron's wandering (although to be fair, he might have scented food): was there a defined area? Check this many blocks in a radius centered on the clue box, then come back and explore another part of the circle? The whole 'make them stop following each other!' has been an issue all season. And the pass-phrase was far too easy to unscramble -- but then, Herbert & Nathaniel are still on the course...

Clap But at least giving the Racers pictures kept them from wandering around bothering randomly-encountered holy men.

Slap One of these races, we have to get an all-foot-travel leg in India just to keep the potential deaths down.

04-11-11, 01:19 PM (EST)
45. "RE: India II"
Slap: Kent - you have become an ugly person; maybe the race is getting to be too much for you but pink isn't pretty anymore.

Clap: Production for letting us hear how in India the horn is connected to the gas pedal; when you push on the gas, the horn blows. I don't even remember who said it but I loved it!
And the shots showed of the driver's hands never looked like he was hitting the horn!

04-11-11, 07:23 PM (EST)
46. "RE: India II"
LAST EDITED ON 04-11-11 AT 07:23 PM (EST)

Slap Come on, editors, let's get a little more creative in the foreshadowing department. Having the Cowboys tell us "they're starting to trust" right before they get screwed is getting a little old-hat.

Slap Ditto the easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy word "puzzle". Maybe if it was written in Hindi?

Clap The manure-brick lady ripping non-qualified poop-patties off the wall (did we catch a "tsk-tsk" as well? - the kids sure were entertained!)

04-11-11, 11:25 PM (EST)
47. "RE: India II"
I think they must have given them a relatively defined area to search, because no one else wandered that far off. Ron must have just ignored that part, or thought maybe they might have left the area to go cool off.

04-13-11, 08:09 AM (EST)
48. "RE: India II"
Slap - For two India legs. I realize the production costs there are very low, but still... it's India, and the race has been there many times in the past. Show us something new.

qwertypie 9721 desperate attention whore postings

04-13-11, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: India II"
CLAP - You go Vyxsin. Show off your muscles and pull that boat back in to the dock.
SLAP - Vyxsin catching cholera and other more nasty stuff from jumping in the Ganges. Sure hope your shots were up to date Sweetie. I'm going to miss you.
SLAP - Kynt. For yelling at Vyxsin for taking charge and risking her life to keep your sorry skinny a$$ in the game
SLAP - Christina for allowing Ron to do a search challenge. Wait, that got them eliminated so I must change that to a CLAP. No more Ron -- YIPPEE!
CLAP - Ron's stomach. I truly believe he got distracted and wandered off to get some good Indian food. So if that is the reason I don't have to suffer through him I will toast to Ron's GI tract.

04-18-11, 02:36 PM (EST)
50. "Austria"
Slap They go to Salzburg, the birthplace of Mozart, and all they can find for a roadblock is an extremely lame chimney sweep task?

Clap For making the teams drive themselves in Austria. Given the chaotic nature of driving in developing countries, I understand why it's always a "TAR taxi parade" in places like India, but driving in Austria is not as easy as one would think.

Slap Not a fan of timed overeating tasks, unusual Ferris wheel or not.

Slap To the Austrian government for not providing public restrooms in the National Library.

04-18-11, 04:06 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Austria"
LAST EDITED ON 04-18-11 AT 04:14 PM (EST)

Was there any team who had a chance of finishing the quick & easy meal? 12 minutes isn't much time to scarf down a huge piece of fried veal and a huge slab of chocolate cake. And it was a one try only deal - not sure it would be physically possible to try again.

Slap - I'm sure peeing on the National Library of another country is frowned upon in the etiquette books.

Bursar 110 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-18-11, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bursar Click to send private message to Bursar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Austria"
I bet Ron could have done it.

Philiminated one leg too early.

04-18-11, 05:48 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Austria"
Or maybe Hera's dad Gus

Nume 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-18-11, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Nume Click to send private message to Nume Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Austria"
The globetrotters could have probably done it, and maybe the cowboys. It looked like Gary had basically finished his plate at the end, so it was doable, but need both members to be able to do it, not just 1 .

04-18-11, 05:45 PM (EST)
53. "RE: Austria"
LAST EDITED ON 04-18-11 AT 07:59 PM (EST)

Slap For finally visiting an international city that I have been in and not going anyplace/doing anything I did. (Thou I thought I did see a couple of familiar sites whiz by and the National Library is adjacent to Hofburg Palace, which I did visit.)

Slap Boot to the Head Yea. Go ahead, pee on the nearest wall with cameras right over your shoulder.

Clap All the teams that figured out instantly that the dine-and-dash task was impossible.

04-19-11, 11:05 AM (EST)
56. "RE: Austria"
!Slap! If it wasn't The Dumbest Roadblock Ever, it's at least somewhere in the top five. Where was the challenge in that? Where was the chance for a more skilled, insightful, or even (ouch) lucky team to pass another? Were the producers hoping someone would slip on the ladder? Costumes don't always equal fun, and all this did was obscure needed camera time in a cloud of soot.

Slap Okay, once and for all: what's the current NEL format? We had two reasons to believe the Speed Bump was gone: a pair of Superlegs which had seemed to take their place. And now Gary & Mallory fall into the most recent excuse? I'm currently expecting the next leg to contain an Intersected Yield with Double U-Turn option. (You send the same team back twice.)

Clap For not playing any Sound Of Music soundtrack, inviting identified actors to the Pit Stop, or playing up the connection beyond 'here's the real house'. We're in enough pain as is, thankee.

Slap As noted above, the eating branch of the Detour was pretty much a no-retries situation unless the team members were particularly good at vomiting on cue. 'Get it right the first time or forget it' doesn't work for any task.

Slap How do you make Survivor's old car sponsorships look subtle? See this episode for details.

No Hand Movement It's minor, but given how much Can't was whining about the couch, I would have liked to know how much it weighed.

04-19-11, 07:53 PM (EST)
57. "RE: Austria"
Slap Twelve minutes to wolf down an extra-large portion of meat and cake on a Ferris wheel? What is this, Man vs. Food?

Clap Getting the NELs out of the way early. Please tell me the Speed Bump involves something a little more challenging than chucking coins or sitting on ice. Cleaning a tank was cool. Too bad it was wasted on Dumb and Dumber.

No Hand Movement I wasn't aware there was a real von Trapp family.

Right hook Worst. Car. Placement. Ever. I've driven a Ford Focus. It's the worst car ever created. And how the hell did Big Easy fit in that thing? I'm six inches shorter than him and I can't fit in a regular-sized Ford.

Slap The Roadblock was something a monkey could have done. After screwing over a bunch of teams, give them no chance to catch up, why don't you? At least it was non-elim.

04-25-11, 07:49 AM (EST)
58. "Alps"
Slap Again: what is this thing called 'a Speed Bump'? Can you define it in terms of time meant to be occupied during completion? This last little math problem wasn't quite on par with a (literal) coin toss, but it certainly wasn't a tank cleaning and may have had more in common with pulling into a gas station and trying to get your Trabant going again.

Clap Despite all the travel involved, there were no major bunching points after the first part of the leg. Multiple buses and trains meant packs which became divided up got to stay that way for a while.

Slap While all the Roadblock errors made turned out to be major ones, this was potentially a very finicky task. Pull over a few times to find a gas station or local so you can double-check your directions? In and out of the parking areas counts as distance traveled. Get stuck in a traffic circle? Distance traveled. You'd have to hope there was at least a small margin of error allowed, or we could have seen Racers sent back on 22.3 km.

Clap Return of the Helltour. There was no way anyone was getting through either branch in less than half an hour (biggest eaters only), lots of potential for mistakes with the luggage with teams attempting to balance loads, number of pieces vs. number of destinations, the local map -- oh, and way to bring the stuff to the wrong hotel. Here's hoping that was prop luggage or someone's going to be wearing their towel to dinner tonight. (Since it's a four-star hotel, it may only require six of them for partial coverage.) The easy option didn't exist: choose your poison and swallow. (But first, coat it in cheese.)

Slap On the other hand, this was placing a second Double U-Turn on a Detour where no team could realistically make up time. Production's ideal may have been to have a pair of teams desperately choking down fondue on one breath and bringing it back up during the next, but there was no way to guarantee that event. Baring a first-place battler wanting to lock up their prize and knocking the immediate trailer back, any single team hit with this was pretty much an automatic lock for last place -- returning us to the state of the normal U-Turn.

Clap The entire leg was basically an excuse to get Racers into costume.

Clap You just can't eat without the music.

04-25-11, 08:14 AM (EST)
59. "RE: Alps"
Slap Let's change the name from "U-Turn" to "Instant Team Elimination". The concept is seriously flawed to begin with, and this version of it gave the U-Turnee an instant ticket to the Philiminator as both tasks were time-consuming.

Slap That's enough communal tasks. The rules should prohibit the blatant answer-sharing which has plagued this entire season.

Clap The luggage-carrying task was easily optimized if a team would've taken the time to get a hotel map first, then take a dozen or so bags to the closest hotel. I like that the task was designed to be done quickly with a little thinking by the Racers, even if none of them were capable of doing that thinking.

Clap For showing a regional map with Lichtenstein and its location relative to other countries. I had only a vague idea of where the country is located.

Slap Usually they have better native greeters. This one looked like a hotel concierge who was drafted at the last second to stand next to Phil at the mat.

mrc 10020 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-11, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: Alps"
But this greeter was pretty hot, so I give them a CLAP.

A Slice of Manga

04-25-11, 10:38 AM (EST)
61. "RE: Alps"
SLAP: putting the double U-turn in a leg with 2 such time consuming detours. At least do this when it is actually possible for a team (or teams) to complete both and still have a chance.
And? put the detour part before the roadblock. That way, a team might have a fighting chance to catch up during the roadblock.

SLAP: Jet, if you had stayed with Gary instead of running off & leaving him, you 2 could have compared notes before you got to the end of the trip; you knew you had gotten lost & your mileage would be off by a bit. Dumb move that got you eliminated.

04-25-11, 11:46 AM (EST)
62. "RE: Alps"
Slap Yes, the mileage (kilometerage?) task had plenty of potential pitfalls. However, I think the racers were told to round off -- since nobody gave anything but a whole number answer.

Clap NO INANE BUNCH POINT!

Slap Enough with the eructation exhibition already.

Question The Swiss border was the only European border I crossed last year with any kind of monitoring station. So where was it for the moped drivers?

samboohoo 17075 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-11, 04:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
63. "RE: Alps"
Slap: Spped Bump/U-Turn. Something is wrong when the team that should have been elimintaed the leg before is more than saved because of a U-Turn that no one could have recovered from.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

04-25-11, 07:55 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Alps"
Slap - The U-Turn, I've hated it since it was introduced and I still hate it. Even though I'm not sorry to see the cowboys go, the U-turn seemed cruel. It's always an automatic elimination for the team U-Turned (or one of them at a double U-Turn). It needs to be fixed or retired.

SLAP!! - The answer sharing has to stop. It's boring and taking the suspense out of the Race. A single instruction on the clue - TEAMS MAY NOT SHARE ANSWERS - would take care of it. It seems unfair that a team like Herbert & Nathaniel who could dominate physical tasks don't get that advantage balanced out by having to do mental tasks on their own.

04-26-11, 05:11 PM (EST)
65. "RE: Alps"
I agree 100% -- this U-Turn was positively undoable.

Why not have the U-Turned team do the Speed Bump? Maybe then they'd have a chance.

04-27-11, 05:24 AM (EST)
68. "RE: Alps"
Clap - KidFlash212

The U turn can be a good thing, if it is used early enough in the leg, otherwise like the Cowboys or Amanda and Kris in their first season, it just ensures that a team is eliminated.

I have for a while suggested that the clues get mixed up, so that in some legs depending on the clue they receive one team heads for the detour and one for the roadblock, although that was intended to stop them following each other I think an occasional use of this might be a good idea.

Clap - Despite the sharing of information I really enjoyed the leg!

04-26-11, 07:27 PM (EST)
66. "RE: Alps"
Clap Mapping out the entire length of a country? Genius, even if it is Liechtenstein. Maybe for next season, the last-place team has to do the Spped Bump - same task. Except in Russia. In winter. On skateboards.

Right hook This is the Amazing Race, not Man vs. Food. Enough with the "eat a bunch of food" tasks. Austria had fried meat of some kind, Switzerland had cheese fondue. I guess next week, we'll have Germany and a bunch of chocolate. And Augustus Gloop can be the clue-giver.

Left hook Enough with the U-Turns, especially if they're right near the Pit Stop - and virtually impossible anyway. Even if you have Kobayashi and Thor as a team, these Detours are very challenging. And the U-Turn? It's like saying the first team to win their playoff series in the NHL or NBA gets to force their opponents to play a doubleheader in Game 1 if they win - and win both games or it counts as a win for the team that "U-turns" them. It's stupid and clueless.

Knee to the groin After the cheese task, they just had to make the Pit Stop a restaurant, didn't they? Why not make it an all-you-can-eat buffet and make teams sample every dish before checking in?

cahaya 18904 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-11, 10:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
67. "RE: Alps"
Clap The magic self-refilling fondue bowl.

Now, if I can just get the elves to work the same magic on my car's gas tank...

05-02-11, 07:44 AM (EST)
69. "Switzerland"
This will not be a kind post.

*!SLAP!* So here we are, high in one of the most treacherous areas in the world. Anything can trigger an avalanche. Anyone could find a freshly-opened crevasse. And the visible safety precautions for the Racers are -- where, exactly?

No hand movement You could have the clues talk and still lose teams to 'misunderstandings'.

Slap Given that you have clothing waiting for whoever does the Roadblock every single time, would it have been that difficult to emboss each team's initials in the mold plastic?

Slap Mid-leg bunch point. Really?

Clap The return of the dollar leg! (But there weren't enough things that needed to be paid for.)

Slap You probably thought you'd taken up enough screen time with it already, but we could have used more explanation of the chocolate painting process and less time with Kent's inability to understand the concept of 'freezer'.

Slap The design of the Detour's rescue branch. Visible lack of safety precautions aside, that task had the potential to do some incredible damage. Frostbite. Wind exposure. Cracked and bleeding hands. And by the way, was it really necessary to buy the dummy with the two-part disassembly? Yank, pull, and spend an extra twenty minutes trying not to die...

05-02-11, 09:59 AM (EST)
70. "RE: Switzerland"
CLAP: Flight time - saving his one dollar to give back to Phil when they win the big prize!

SLAP: Production - 30 minute penalty was not enough for taking the taxi. V & K should have had to go back and walk to the PS.

SLAP: Kent - shut up already! you have been no more positive than the negative post of a battery!

SLAP: Vixyn - you had a perfect opportunity to rid yourself of Kent once & for all; just keep lowering him until he was out of hearing range.

CLAP: Mallory - still smiling - great fun attitude.

SLAP: Keisha - stop that insane laugh! please! Big Easy showed you how crazy you sound, so stop it!

CLAP: all those who went down in the crevasse or whatever it is called. that took guts.

05-02-11, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
79. "RE: Switzerland"
And I second your Vyxsin slap.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-11, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
71. "RE: Switzerland"
Clap! St. Bernard as greeter... The greeters should all have dogs from their countries with them!! What a cute puppy!

05-02-11, 10:10 AM (EST)
72. "RE: Switzerland"
Clap! St. Bernard as greeter... The greeters should all have dogs from their countries with them!! What a cute puppy Cujo

There. Fixed that for ya.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-11, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
73. "RE: Switzerland"
OMH the dog was adorable. He would as soon lick you to death than anything else!

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-02-11, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
74. "RE: Switzerland"
>OMH the dog was adorable.
>He would as soon lick
>you to death than anything
>else!

Darn!! Didn't get to see the end due to the death of whatshisface. Yes, I KNOW it's a big deal!!

Anyway, wish I could have seen the rest of the show-will check on cbs and see if they are running it on the internet. Anyway, the St. Bernard would have been the perfect ending-met one a few weeks ago in Alaska. He was the most AMAZING dog EVER!! So sweet, lovable, big, adorable, big, slobbery, big, and oh yeah, weighs more than I do. But they honestly do not eat 'that' much!

05-02-11, 11:42 AM (EST)
75. "RE: Switzerland"
I was also thinking they could have just assigned each one a shelf in the freezer (oven? - I'm so confused) to put their pieces on. Not that I think anything shady went on, but it would have saved a lot of drama.

05-02-11, 11:49 AM (EST)
76. "RE: Switzerland"
but...
drama is what it's all about! LOL
oh, & the money of course

05-04-11, 12:54 PM (EST)
81. "RE: Switzerland"
Yeah, but I'm not a fan of the contrived drama. "Did she steal my stuff? Was it a mistake? Was it sabotage?" It just detracts from the interesting drama of completing tasks and finding your way around.

05-02-11, 12:34 PM (EST)
77. "RE: Switzerland"
Yeah, but that's assuming they're all bright enough to use their assigned shelf. (Then again, I was just mistakenly assuming they could all read.)

05-02-11, 10:05 PM (EST)
78. "RE: Switzerland"
Clap Hey -- a food related task that didn't actually involve eating.

Slap Put a leash on that crazy Cujo!

Slap READ the FRELLIN' CLUE!

Slap, Kick and Boot-to-the-Head Sure, put these folks in real risk of frostbite, hypothermia, and assorted muscle strains. Not to mention the poor (but hopefully well-remunerated) faux chasm victims.

Clap Worst-to-First and First-to-Worst (but still alive) in the same episode.

Another Agman masterpiece (2011)

05-02-11, 11:40 PM (EST)
80. "RE: Switzerland"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-11 AT 11:41 PM (EST)

Am I the only one that thought the detour was freakin' awesome ?(but then again, as of yesterday we still had some snow in our backyard)

05-09-11, 07:36 AM (EST)
82. "Finale"
Slap The bikini sale branch. The changing tube is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen for clothes switching, and yes, I'm considering my own source. (Would you get in that thing? Would anyone? Hardcore exhibitionists hoping for a drop, maybe...) The sizes hanging off the umbrella were so limited, anyone trying the task automatically lost half the female population of the beach. As noted by the local population, people already in swimsuits tend not to switch on the spot. And then there were the styles. There are 60s songs which would be embarrassed to include those styles. No one was getting through that task without beachgoer charity, and Save The Half-Waxed was in California that week.

Clap The concept of a double-Roadblock remains sound, even if the second task needed some serious help.

Slap A luck-based search task for the final Roadblock? No memory game? An entire leg with very little brainpower required? Just how badly did you want the Globetrotters to win?

Clap I've wanted the course to run into the Keys since the first season and while we didn't get as far south as I would have liked (with the ideal being 'Roadblock: who wants to see a really small deer?' and a finish line on Duval Street, which might not even notice), at least we finally got into America's Official Designated Weird Zone. Next time, get your passport stamped by the Conch Republic and have a Detour branch be throwing fruit at the Coast Guard. You know you want to.

Clap The mermaid setting was more cheesy than surreal, but at least it was different.

Slap Read the following sentence until you believe it: 'Zev completed the samba to acceptable standards.' I'm still working on it. That was a Dandrew-style mercy pass.

Clap On the other hand, having a judge who was willing to adjust for wind was the only way to get this task finished before the episode actually aired.

Kick To the Genitals Ultimately, the race was decided by the luck of the taxi draw. With no intuitive, memory, or shortcut-finding tasks available on the course, any team that dropped behind due to a bad driver was going to stay there for the entire leg. Whenever possible, the finish should be traversed on foot. Period.

05-09-11, 08:16 AM (EST)
83. "RE: Finale"
Slap!! For having the outcome of the final leg seriously affected by cab drivers, a purely random decision at the arrival airport taxi stand. The finish line is in the US-- make the teams drive themselves! (Or walk, as Estee noted.)

Slap For the editing error where Flight Time mentioned having three tough teams to fight it out with. The error is that this quote was shown after Zev and Justin were Philiminated and there were only two teams left besides the Globetrotters.

Slap Mandatory Brazilian waxing? On behalf of Zev and Justin, ouch. On a more serious note, this task favored females by 10,000 to 1.

Clap The finish in the Keys is a nice touch. (We were there a few weeks ago for spring break and the finale was a neat trip down memory lane.) This was a much better finishing location than a somewhat-random major US city.

Clap For making the teams ride the old Seven-Mile bridge. Though it didn't happen, that choice gave the producers a chance for a true footrace (bikerace?) finish.

Clap The beach bartending task was an interesting take on an old theme. Given the locale, I liked it.

05-09-11, 06:45 PM (EST)
88. "RE: Finale"
Slap For the editing error where Flight Time mentioned having three tough teams to fight it out with.

I just assumed it was not an editting error and the new TAR math. (eg. the globetrotters announcing they only had 14 drinks left to make -- when there were 24; the cowboys getting the arrival order messed up at the mat several eps back)

05-09-11, 08:33 AM (EST)
84. "RE: Finale"
SLAP! - For having no tasks that gave any chance for teams to make up time or lose time. Every task was completed in the same order the teams arrived meaning the cab drivers were the sole factor in deciding the outcome.

CLAP! - For Kisha & Jennifer. An impressive win.

05-09-11, 08:48 AM (EST)
85. "RE: Finale"
Clap "The Sinister Deaf Kid TAR - 14" T-shirt

Clap Amanda

Clap The trike race to the finish line

Slap The all physical no mental tasks. Although I am sure that all the teams who had written everything down were irked, it did mean "Best taxi wins" which we have seen far too often.

Clap Gary and Mallory still enjoying themselves after all those miles

Slap If you are going to have an official mercy rule tell us about it, if it is unplanned then letting a team have mercy whilst other teams are doing the task seems wrong.

Slap Bikini Selling? Was that meant as a cheap thrill for the camera men? Volleyball ala TAR 2 might have been more entertaining. Even dig in the sand to find the trinket might have been better.

05-09-11, 09:12 AM (EST)
86. "RE: Finale"
Perhaps the trick to selling the bikinis was selling to the drunk guys on the beach who wanted to be on TV.

05-09-11, 12:40 PM (EST)
87. "RE: Finale"
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-11 AT 03:10 PM (EST)

Slap Around the World? According to my little handi-dandi middle school atlas, the Palm Springs (116° 32' West) is over 36° (that's 10% of the total) west of Miami (80° 12' West), and our intrepid travelers went east.

Slap Ditto the WHIMPY finale tasks. "Walk and find the tallest tree." -- Really?? "Pick a speed boat." -- Too Tough!

Clap The denuded (defurred?) Zev & Justin.

Slap What ever happened to the rule about reporting to the matt with you stuff? 'Trotters purposely left their's behind (did Homeland Security know about that?)

Clap Zev & Justin sharing drink #101.

moonbaby 17013 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-11, 09:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
89. "LOL"
LAST EDITED ON 05-13-11 AT 09:51 AM (EST)

Kick To the Genitals Ultimately, the race was decided by the luck of the taxi draw.

I can't stand that either. What a way to lose. And I wouldn't blame G or M if they actually did kick Sterling's, um, silver.

ETA: Clap The return of Zev's fabulous pajamas!

olathejoe 72 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-13-11, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail olathejoe Click to send private message to olathejoe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
90. "RE: LOL"
Not to pile on, but another slap from me for having a taxi driver decide the outcome.
My suggested solution would be to give them 'designated drivers', not taxi drivers, that the teams would have to direct to the clue box locations. I think one of the reasons they don't have them drive themselves much in the last few legs is because they have so much adrenaline they would not be able to drive safetly, no matter how hard they tried.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •