The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"S46 Jeff Probst Says..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Sheldor 4656 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

02-28-24, 07:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheldor Click to send private message to Sheldor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"S46 Jeff Probst Says..."
S46 EW Dalton Ross interviews with Jeff
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Why there is no Survivor auction Sheldor 02-28-24 1
   This is Bull Sh*t michel2 03-09-24 8
 Ready to get tougher at Tribal Coun... Sheldor 02-28-24 2
   More BS michel2 03-09-24 9
 90-minute Survivor episodes are the... Sheldor 02-28-24 3
   Snort! michel2 03-09-24 10
 if theme seasons are truly dead Sheldor 02-28-24 4
   I'm OK with this michel2 03-09-24 11
       RE: I'm OK with this Sheldor 03-09-24 14
 NO returning players through S48. Sheldor 02-28-24 5
   RE: NO returning players through S4... michel2 03-09-24 12
 Horizon Island VR game with Jeff Pr... Sheldor 02-28-24 6
 'blistering attack of advantages' Sheldor 03-05-24 7
   More Crap michel2 03-09-24 13
 clarifies medical evacuation rules Sheldor 03-15-24 15
   RE: clarifies medical evacuation ru... michel2 03-15-24 16
 they have not come up with plan for... Sheldor 05-01-24 17
 season 50 will be all returning pla... Sheldor 05-01-24 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

02-28-24, 07:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheldor Click to send private message to Sheldor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Why there is no Survivor auction"
LAST EDITED ON 02-28-24 AT 07:33 AM (EST)

Jeff Probst explains why there is no Survivor auction for season 46
The new "Survivor" auction was a raging success, so why is it gone again?

By Dalton Ross Published on February 14, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-host-jeff-probst-explains-why-no-season-46-auction-8576398

While Survivor 45 featured the first player successfully being saved by a Shot in the Dark, one of the most devastating blindsides ever (“What the hell, guys?”), and Jeff Probst straight-up stabbing a bag of rice, one of the highlights was actually a blast from the past.

After eight years in exile, the Survivor auction made its triumphant return, and it was better than ever. First off, instead of players simply being handed money, the contestants had to compete to collect as much cash as possible. Then, when they arrived at the auction, Probst explained that not only were there no advantages to be collected, but he would pull a rock from a bag that told him — and only him — when the auction would end. And then, the most diabolical and delicious twist of all: The player with the most money left at the end of the auction would lose their vote at Tribal Council.

The new Survivor auction 2.0 was a rousing creative success. Even better, the contestants on the following season (Survivor 46), would have no idea and would not be able to prepare for it because season 45 had not aired by the time season 46 began filming. Which is what makes it so absolutely shocking that Survivor 46, which premieres Feb. 28 on CBS, will not feature an auction.

“The auction is not back for 46,” Probst tells EW.

While Probst acknowledges that it would have made sense to bring the auction back immediately because “we could have got a free shot at it in 46” with players who would have to navigate all the strategic elements in real time, the host explains that “it really came down to resources.”

Probst, of course, is not only the host of Survivor, he is also the showrunner — which means he is intimately aware of all the work that goes on behind the scenes to pull off even something as seemingly easy as the auction. “That's a gigantic lift from production," he explains. “It looks simple, but you’ve got a chocolate shake, and you've got a bag, and somebody pays with money. Now there are so many departments involved.”

And those departments are already overtaxed coordinating all the other elements of production. “We only have certain amount of days,” says Probst. “And in those days, a certain amount of daylight hours.” It would seem the easy answer would then be to just hire more crew, but there is a problem with that approach as well when you are filming in a remote region with limited housing. “There are only a certain number of people on our team, and there are only so many little homes that people can live in,” explains the host. “We can't get more crew. We have nowhere. It's just this complicated math problem.”

While Survivor 45 was the first season shot specifically with 90-minutes per episode in mind due to the impending writers and actors strikes (which resulted with it being the best produced season of the new era), the effort took a huge toll on the crew to capture all that extra content, and it is one area in which Probst takes himself to task.

“One of the things that I didn't do well in 45 is I didn't manage from a global perspective. And, as a result, at the end of 45, our crews were exhausted, and all the heads of departments said, ‘Dude, we're loving this, but we are on fumes. We are working harder than we've ever worked before.’ And then we had to turn right around and do 46.”

While the first two weeks of season 46 will be two-hour installments before settling back to 90-minute installments per week, Probst acknowledges that “we weren't shooting for 90 minutes, or we might've considered the auction.” Even so, it would have been a tall order after what the crew went through on 45. “I woke up and realized: Okay, they're telling me we will do anything for this show, but just know we're on fumes. And so for 46, the auction was like, that's just too much. We can't do it again.”

That does not mean the auction is once again going the way of the giant gong and trunk of cash at Tribal Council. Rather, it has to fit into the puzzle of what else is being shot for a particular season. “If we're going to do it again in the future, it has to be part of our overall design that we have time for it,” says Probst. “Will we do it in 47 and 48? Probably one of the two. Maybe not both. But we do love it, fans love it, and I love that.”

Just not for season 46.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

michel2 4533 desperate attention whore postings

03-09-24, 00:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "This is Bull Sh*t"
Them crew didn't work harder to make the show last 90 minutes. The cameramen shoot about 300 hours of film (6 camera crews x 50 hours / cycle) for each episode no matter the length of the end product. The difference comes in the editing room where 22 minutes less are sent to the trash bin.

The time they film the auction still has to be filled with something.

The simple truth is that they didn't know if the Auction would be well received so they didn't want to put it on in case it was a flop.

02-28-24, 07:33 AM (EST)
2. "Ready to get tougher at Tribal Council"
Survivor host Jeff Probst is ready to get tougher at Tribal Council
"I'm ready to saddle back up, get on the horse, and sling a few arrows."

By Dalton Ross Published on February 22, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-host-jeff-probst-ready-to-get-tougher-at-tribal-council-8598024

The kinder, gentler new era of Survivor that began with season 41 has, for the most part, featured casts of players who now seem more inclined as a jury to build people up at final Tribal Council rather than tear them down. But the post-Covid stretch of seasons has also featured a more genial host. And that move was very much intentional.

“When the new era started, I was definitely full of positivity, and I wanted to be a show that parents felt good about watching with their kids,” Jeff Probst tells EW. “There was so much going on in the world. I wanted to say, ‘Hey man, this is a safe show. We're still going to talk about uncomfortable things. You'll still root for and against people and all that stuff. But there's going to be an air of: Come on man, let's just do this. Let's figure this out. Let's bring a bunch of people together from different walks of life. Let's just have some fun and play a game. Somebody wins, a lot of people lose.'”

But that era of complete positivity and good vibes may be starting to shift just a bit. Not only did several players in the Survivor 46 cast predict “explosions and arguments” this season after spending a few days together on location before the game began, but they may no longer be getting a free pass from the master of ceremonies at Tribal Council.

“I did find a different part of my personality coming out at Tribal,” Probst says about the upcoming Survivor 46 (which premieres Feb 28 on CBS). “And I think you're going to see it and feel it.”

This reporter went on location for the start of the season and did see it and feel it at the very first Tribal Council. While Probst remains very respectful of the contestants, making sure not to divulge any of their secrets, he was also starting to feel that contestants were getting a little too comfortable at Tribal, believing the host would not call them out like he used to do to players in older seasons.

Some of that edge may now be coming back, and it could all be thanks to a bag of rice. The moment of inspiration actually came from a member of the Survivor crew named Keoni Smith. When the creative team was planning out an immunity challenge negotiation for Survivor 45 in which Probst would offer the tribe a big bag of rice if a certain number of players would agree to sit out of the challenge, Smith brought up the possibility of adding some immediate pressure to the proceedings by having the host literally stab the bag of rice with a knife so that the food started spilling out onto the ground — forcing the contestants to make an immediate decision.

“It was his idea to put the knife in the bag of rice,” Probst says. “And the minute he said it, I thought: Oh my God, he just unlocked the part of me that needs to come back. He's a hundred percent right.”

Perhaps that explains why Probst announced on Live With Kelly and Mark that Survivor quitters like season 45’s Hannah Rose and Sean Edwards will no longer get their torch snuffed. And it also explains why viewers will notice a subtle shift in the way Probst handles players at Tribal Council moving forward.

“That part of me is starting to come back,” Probst says. “I'm ready to saddle back up, get on the horse, and sling a few arrows. So I think over the next year you'll start to see that coming back into play, and I hope the players will enjoy the banter and the back and forth.”

When it comes to the players, that remains to be seen, but viewers certainly will.

Survivor 46 premieres Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

03-09-24, 00:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel2 Click to send private message to michel2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "More BS"
LAST EDITED ON 03-09-24 AT 01:10 AM (EST)

The toughness always came from Mark Burnett. He was the dictator of the show and Probst was his puppet. Under Burnett, talking at Tc without being asked a question was completely VERBODEN. Remember Survivor Micronesia when Jason meakly asked if he could add something before the Fans tribe was stupidly about to eliminate Mikey Bortone. Everyone was shocked to hear such an interruption. It was as if someone had interrupted the priest before he married a couple. Jiffy relented but we just knew that Burnett had given his benediction before the camera resumed rolling.

Under Probst, TC is often a free for all as we saw with Bhanu's tour of the voters. Hopefullly, he's come to realize that Burnett's discipline had its merits.

One thing I do get from this interview is that there will be a quitter this season or else why did Probst bring it up? Jess was a prime candidate but now?

02-28-24, 07:35 AM (EST)
3. "90-minute Survivor episodes are the 'sweet spot'"
Jeff Probst says 90-minute Survivor episodes are the 'sweet spot'
The host says that the extra time is like "one more cocktail at the party."

By Dalton Ross Published on February 27, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-jeff-probst-90-minute-episodes-sweet-spot-8599461

Fans who have been clamoring for more Survivor finally got their wish when the gold standard of reality television became 50 percent bigger last fall with the introduction of Survivor 45. While the move to 90-minute episodes that season was put into place due to the writers' and actors' strikes that shut down Hollywood — leaving the CBS schedule barren of scripted programming — the end result was a creative triumph, with what ended up being the best-produced season of the new era.

The move was such a success that CBS is now not only airing Survivor 46 (which premieres Feb. 28) at 90-minutes as well, but the network is even kicking off the season with two, two-hour episodes. There is a difference, however. While Jeff Probst — who acts as both host and showrunner — knew in advance of filming season 45 that it would be airing at 90 minutes, so his crew could structure their creative elements accordingly, they had no such assurances for Survivor 46. So how did that impact how team Survivor put the episodes together for the upcoming campaign?

“When we were shooting 46, I did have an instinct that we might do 90 minutes even though CBS said, ‘We don't need 'em, we're fine,’” Probst tells EW. “We couldn’t produce for 90 minutes again because the workload was enormous. You're doing 50 percent more show and that means 50 percent more effort from everybody, 50 percent more content, more twists, more events, more set pieces. We didn't have the scheduling or the people power to do that.”

What they did have, however, were the contestants — and that proved to be a resource producers could pretty much tap at will. “We do have great players and we do have great storytellers,” says Probst. “So we just took little moments that we might've in previous seasons said, ‘We don't really need to do an interview on that. It's probably not going to make the show.’ And this year we did an interview on that, and it's really interesting. Suddenly, a whole story opens up. We're learning that there's a lot of gold in those crevices and in those little scenes.”

The bottom line, says the host, is that even though season 45 was planned to be 90 minutes and season 46 was not, the viewer should not even notice: “I don't think you're going to feel anything different,” says Probst. “We've edited up through episode 4, and everything is great. There's great story, great gameplay, and so it’s really an opportunity for the editors. All the storytellers that are jammed into that post-production process, they're amazing. The only big problem is CBS now thinks, ‘Oh, you could do 90 minutes whenever we want.’”

Probst had long hoped for longer episodes before the move to 90 minutes so that his show did not have to lose those nuggets of gold that would otherwise end up on the proverbial editing room floor each week. It’s why the series had previously gotten rid of the “previously on…” and opening credits segments, to allow as much time as possible for fresh content. So once he finally got his wish, it would have been particularly cruel to make him go back to the shorter length.

“After season 45, I was talking with CBS saying, ‘It's going to be hard to go back to 60 minutes. We can do it, and we will anytime you need us to, but we got to feel what it was like to have one more cocktail at the party.’”

And, for the host and showrunner, the freedom that came with 90 minutes was simply intoxicating. “That's what it felt like, because instead of an idol hunt lasting for 90 seconds, you could let it play for four minutes. And in that extra time, you got to see inside the person, the panic, how they dealt with it, the dirt on their fingernails, and digging one more time, and here comes somebody — all of those are things that in a 60-minute episode we'd have to say, ‘We don't have time for it. It doesn't really matter.’ But then when you see it, you're like, ‘Well, it does matter!’ I think 90 minutes is a great sweet spot for an episode of Survivor.”

And if Survivor 46 plays as well with audiences as the host thinks it will, that could be the permanent spot moving forward.

03-09-24, 00:34 AM (EST)
10. "Snort!"
Probst really thinks we are idiots. Take this gem:

«instead of an idol hunt lasting for 90 seconds, you could let it play for four minutes.»

The idol hunt lasts for DAYS and every time a person goes on the hunt, a camera crew follows. The format of the show doesn't determine how long the hunt will be, the hunt lasted from day 1 until everyone realized it had been found.

THE EDITORS determine how much of the hunt we will see. Of course 90 minutes gives them more freedom BUT ON THE ISLAND, the camera crews don't feel the difference: They have to film every thing from sandals leaving camp to hand on the bag.

Now, if he is suggesting that the crews somehow interfere in the duration of the hunt then that wouldn't surprise me. I've long suspected that a crew will point its camera to the location of the idol to help a production favorite.

02-28-24, 07:44 AM (EST)
4. "if theme seasons are truly dead"
Survivor host Jeff Probst reveals if theme seasons are truly dead
The show will not move away from numbered season titles anytime soon.

By Dalton Ross Published on February 20, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-host-jeff-probst-reveals-theme-seasons-truly-dead-8584237

One of the biggest changes in the new era of Survivor is right there in the title. After Survivor: Winners at War (season 40), the franchise began simply naming its seasons by their numbers. Hence, the 46th season of the show premiering Feb. 28 on CBS is titled Survivor 46.

But with the move to number-titled seasons, something has been lost, and that something is themes. Even when Survivor was still moving around the globe from location to location, the show was spitting out theme seasons. There was Fans vs. Favorites, Heroes vs. Villains, Blood vs. Water — all which separated players into tribes due to certain designations.

The show also often separated players due to characteristics even if it wasn’t in the actual title, like the Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty clash on Survivor: Cagayan, the battle of the sexes seasons (The Amazon, Vanuatu, and One World), and even the ill-conceived race war edition of Cook Islands. There were also themes built around game twists like Exile Island and Redemption Island.

Once the show settled in Fiji in 2016, the theme seasons kicked into high gear with the uninterrupted run of Millennials vs. Gen X, Game Changers, Heroes v. Healers v. Hustlers, Ghost Island, David vs. Goliath, Edge of Extinction, Island of the Idols, and, finally, Winners at War.

However, when the franchise shifted to numbers after taking a year off due to Covid, the themes became a thing of the past. On one hand, it makes sense. Some of the themes (Heroes v. Healers v. Hustlers, anyone?) were kind of silly and a bit of stretch. And often the designations (Candide Woodcock a Hero for mutinying from her tribe?) didn’t necessarily make a whole lot of sense.

But those themes also could be a ton of fun while inspiring a clear rooting interest for viewers who perhaps enjoyed cheering on the underdogs of the David tribe or the villains of the… well, Villains tribe.

Themed seasons (or any season with a title other than simply a number) are also much easier on the recall. Ask any Survivor superfan who won the All-Stars season that aired 20 years ago and you will quickly get an answer of Amber Brkich. But ask that same fan who won a recent season like Survivor 42 and you are more likely to get something along the lines of “Wait, which one was 42? Was that Gabler? Erika? Maryanne?” That’s because numbers just kind of tend to blend together and don’t have the wild variation that the location and theme-titled seasons used to have.

With that in mind — and with Australian Survivor running theme season after theme season after theme season (including the current Titans vs. Rebels installment), we asked host and showrunner Jeff Probst if we ever might see theme seasons back on the original U.S. version.

“It would have to be a really specific theme that still worked within our new era and still could have a number attached to it,” says Probst.

For Probst, the themes became more and more of a stretch the longer the show ran, and this is a show that simply has no end in sight. “When you step back and look at Survivor from a global big, big, big picture, it’s: How long will the show run? And where are you going to take it?” says the host. “And so you do have to sort of manage the creativity from a broad sense.”

And in Probst’s view, the themes before shifting to numbers were becoming thinner and thinner. “The issue I was having— because I came up with most of those themes — is they're hard to come up with. It's hard to come up with a theme that rolls off the tongue, is a legit extension of the social experiment, and is something you can sustain all the way to the final three and the decision of who wins.”

So after the all-champion blowout, the host felt it was time to shake things up by going back to basics. “After 40 seasons — Winners at War, another great name — it felt like this is our chance to redesign how we do the game moving forward and get that onus off our back, because I don't want to disappoint the fans. I think going to numbers allows us now to focus more on the players and put individual twists within the game. And maybe we will find a theme that we can put inside a season that's a mini theme, but it's still part of Survivor 46. And those thoughts go through our head. We just haven't come up with any that felt right yet.”

As a somewhat hot take aside, one of my personal favorite themes from a strictly idea standpoint was Ghost Island (season 36). Sure, the whole concept of how immunity idols and advantages from the past all ended up buried on an island that had somehow magically granted them awesome new powers was as goofy as that time on Survivor: Vanuatu when Probst called a challenge with sunglasses on… in a rainstorm. But it was also a brilliant way to honor and pay tribute to the history of the show — through iconic items like the immunity necklace Erik Reichenbach gave away or the “f---ing stick” Jason Siska gave Eliza Orlins — without actually bringing back returning players.

But Probst uses Ghost Island as an example of why they no longer do big theme seasons. “Ghost Island is probably the corniest idea I ever had,” says the host. “It was just as thought out as Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty or Winners at War or David vs. Goliath or Millennials vs Gen X. It just happened to be a little sillier. Let's pretend that's a haunted island. Every convention of a haunted house should go into this idea, and we went and found all the old idols from collectors and the Ozzy stick and all that stuff.”

Again, so far, so great as far as I’m concerned! But then Probst pitched it to the network. “In terms of the time and energy that went into it, I remember pitching that thinking: This is the greatest idea I've had in a while because it works! And I remember there was an executive at CBS — they were only there for one year — and they were so nonplussed. They were like, ‘Well, I like the name.’ I was like, ‘OH MY GOD! And I took my toys and I walked out of the room.”

By stripping down the process, Probst says they can pour their efforts into what really matters. “I'm glad we don't have that right now. I'm glad we can just focus on the players and a cool number and a great logo and great seasons. I feel really good about seasons 41 through 45. I'm super proud of them. I think they've been fun to watch, and I think 46 is going to be equally fun to watch.”

Having met the new cast and spent some time on set during filming on Survivor 46, I have a feeling he may be right. But that does not mean I will ever stop pushing for Survivor: Ghost Island 2 — No Hourglasses Allowed.

03-09-24, 00:46 AM (EST)
11. "I'm OK with this"
I never liked artificially named seasons especially because many of the themed seasons involved returning players. The good themes were the ones based on location: Survivor Africa, Survivor China, Survivor Amazon NOW THAT MEANT SOMETHING.

Fiji is now Probst's backyard so I could care less for a theme. Unless they want to bring back men vs women because those three editions are all among my favorites. They just create a funny dynamic and Survivor is always better when it is funny.

03-09-24, 06:44 PM (EST)
14. "RE: I'm OK with this"
My issue with Numbers is only is I can't remember Numbers!

I can easily rattle off all 40 Survivor Season Names!

When someone mentions a Survivor Season number, I often have to revert to a Number that is famous like 8 = All Stars, 16 = Fans vs Favorites, 20 = Heroes vs Villains etc. and then work backwards from Names to Number.

Remembering who was in Seasons 41 - 46 is difficult! 41 first after Winners at War is easy. 43 or 44 are more difficult to tell apart because they don't have Names!

02-28-24, 07:47 AM (EST)
5. "NO returning players through S48."
Jeff Probst reveals there will be no returning Survivor players through season 48
All newbies, all the time.

By Dalton Ross Published on February 16, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-host-jeff-probst-no-returning-players-through-season-48-8580609

Season 41 marked a new era of Survivor. We know it marked a new era because host and showrunner Jeff Probst kept telling us it was a new era. And he proved it with lots of changes. Seasons now went by numbers (Survivor 41) instead of themes (Survivor: Winners at War). There were tons of new bells and whistles. People kept taking journeys while also going to places “where good things happen.”

But there has been one other pretty dramatic shift in the new era that does not get talked about nearly as much: the lack of returning players. If you don’t include Bruce Perreault — who was more of a do-over as opposed to a returning player because he got injured just minutes into his first season — Survivor has featured no returning players in the new era. Again, if you don’t include Bruce, the six-season stretch of all-newbies currently underway marks the longest streak of not bringing back all-stars since the show first started bringing players back with Survivor: All-Stars in season 8.

It’s a streak the host himself did not even realize was happening. “That is really interesting,” Probst tells EW when informed of the stretch. “I did not know that statistic.”

The reason Probst did not know about it is because when it comes to bringing back all-stars, Probst and his team “haven't even thought about it,” and that is due to the fresh faces that have been coming up in the casting process. “I'm so happy with our casting team,” Probst says. “I can't tell you how fun it is when I'm in a casting session and this new person pops onto my screen and I get to talk to them about their life. The team is finding such interesting people, and those people are now being on the show and that influences people to apply.”

According to Probst, it is that cycle that makes returning players unnecessary, and not just for Survivor 46 (which premieres Feb. 28 on CBS) but for the next two seasons as well, which will begin filming this spring. “It's just a constant flow of fascinating people. Why would we want returning players? Not yet. Time is on our side. Let's just keep going here. And that's how I feel about seasons 47 and 48. We're already meeting the people who are going to be playing months from now and we are jazzed about it. So until you said that, I don't think I'd given it any thought. There was no thought about returning players in 46 or 47 or 48.”

Of course, there is always the temptation — for both producers and viewers — to want electric contestants like fan-favorite Carolyn Wiger back on their TV screens since they bring an almost-guaranteed entertainment value, but Probst notes the equation is not that simple.

“I think you've hit upon why we haven't done it yet,” responds the host. “When you say, ‘Let's bring Carolyn back’ — totally agreed. I’d love to see Carolyn play again. There's a bunch of people I'd love to see play again. We don't know who our returning players would be, but what you made me realize is creatively we look at things like this: If there is a full alphabet for an idea, and it goes from A to Z and that A to Z is for one idea, it's easy to go from A to M to W to Z and get four great hits out of it. We would prefer to go from A to B to C to D to E to F, because we believe there's gold in the wrinkle and in that little crevice. There's a little nuance, it's slightly different, let's explore that.”

For Probst, the bottom line is “we're not there yet for returning players. We feel like the new era is still unfolding, and you're going to see it in season 46.” And, it seems, 47 and 48 as well.

03-09-24, 00:58 AM (EST)
12. "RE: NO returning players through S48."
Finally great news. SURVIVOR CANNOT BE PLAYED WITH PLAYERS WHO KNOW EACH OTHER. It destroys the whole trust question mark. The first all-stars should have told them that it was a bad, bad idea.

Since he used the Carolyn example I'll use her for two counter arguments:
- Not every body liked her. Just ask my friend Aruba who DETESTED her because she wasn't a Survivor.
- Given a second chance most players change their approach and rarely will the audience connect the same way. Rupert because Poopert. Ozzy was a challenge superman in CI but a buffoon in Micronesia an idiot in So Pathetic and a nobody in Game Changers. A few like Mariano and Sandra keep us entertained each time but those are exception FOR ME and not everyone likes those two.

Anyway, I expect Survivor 50 will be the final season and it will be an all-star of players from 41 to 49. They could and should have 2 from each season.

02-28-24, 07:54 AM (EST)
6. "Horizon Island VR game with Jeff Probst to launch on Meta"
Survivor: Horizon Island VR game with Jeff Probst to launch on Meta
Survivors (and headsets) ready?

By Dalton Ross Published on February 27, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-horizon-island-vr-game-jeff-probst-meta-8600741

Want to play Survivor? Pretty soon, you’ll be able to. And all you need is a headset.

EW can exclusively report that the long-running CBS reality franchise is launching a virtual reality version of the popular TV show titled Survivor: Horizon Island. (Finally, theme seasons are back!) CBS has partnered with Meta on the game, which was developed by Albyon, VR in Review, and Well Played Studios, and can be played on Meta Horizon Worlds beginning on March 8.

The custom world of Survivor: Horizon Island will allow players to take part in all the classic elements from the show, including forming alliances, competing in challenges, and searching for hidden immunity idols. They can also deal with everyday Survivor tasks like tending to the fire, fishing for food, and of course, trying not to get eliminated. And presiding over it all is the Hostmaster General himself, Jeff Probst, whose voice will no doubt at some point implore you to “Dig deep!”

Not only can we report about this new VR extension into the Survivor universe, but we can show you some of it as well. Check out the video above to see footage of the game as well as some of the challenges that await. (See, you don’t have to be like Carson Garrett with his 3-D printer to practice Survivor puzzles. Just put on a headset!)

Fans can sign up for updates on the game’s RSVP page in advance of the March 8 launch, at which point the VR tribe will finally have spoken.

03-05-24, 08:14 AM (EST)
7. "'blistering attack of advantages'"
Survivor host Jeff Probst explains the 'blistering attack of advantages'

Probst knows some fans thought it was too much, but says the dividends will be paid on season 46.
By Dalton Ross
Published on February 28, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-jeff-probst-explains-blistering-attack-of-advantages-8599990

Ask Jeff Probst the word he would use to describe Survivor 46 (which premieres tonight on CBS) and the word you get back is… “Gameplay.” The host and showrunner says that is partly a result of the 18 people selected for this round of reality TV glory, but also may be due to the simple evolution of the game.

“This is the sixth iteration of this new era,” says Probst. “And I think players are starting to figure out, ‘Okay, here are the elements that are in this game. How can I use them to my advantage? How should I be prepared in case one befalls me?’ And that really goes back to the grand design of the new era, which was to create so much uncertainty that even if we never put an idol or a twist in the game, it would still have the impact that they were in the game because you don't know if they are in the game or not, so you have to play as though they are, and that makes you make a move.”

Probst knows there has been some criticism from the fanbase about there being too many different advantages floating around in the new era of the game, but says there was a method to the madness, and that dividends from that approach are about to be paid.

“That's the idea behind creating this blistering attack of advantages and all these changes that everybody said, ‘Oh my God! It's too much! It's too much!’” says the host. “Well, now I think we're going to start to see the reason we were doing that is to create this world, and the ultimate idea is that it will give the player permission to play because you have to play. You can't be idle in this version of Survivor. You won't win even if you get to the end.”

To hear that Survivor 46 has a collection of huge gamers is interesting because while that may not have been evident during pre-game interviews, it was clear that there were a lot of huge personalities in the cast, and Probst says that will play out during the season.

“It’s weird to say that this is a unique group or an eclectic group because that's the idea with every season,” says the host. “But this group in particular has some very big personalities and some fun personalities. I think fans are going to laugh a lot this season because there's a sense of humor. There's also weirdly a sense of music this season, either because somebody plays an instrument, or somebody sings, or somebody's really into something about music and they end up talking about it. It's not a huge thing, but there is this sort of underbelly of music coming in throughout.”

As far as what the huge thing is, “I think the biggest overall takeaway is when this season is over, you're going to feel like that was a season of gameplay,” Probst predicts. “I really believe what's happening in 46 is it's the first time players went ‘I think maybe I'm going to play a little harder. I don't think I'm still worried about what's up Probst’s sleeve anymore.’”

Of course, we all know what happens once people get too comfortable on Survivor.

03-09-24, 01:08 AM (EST)
13. "More Crap"
So Probst added advantages on top of advantages just to reach a time when players would imagine them in play and act as if they were there! This is just another example of finding a way to explain a huge mistake. He should own the fact that the fans demanded less idols and he finally came to his senses.

However, with this comment: «there is this sort of underbelly of music coming in throughout» he's just spoiled the fact that Ben, Soda, Tevin and maybe Charlie last to the end because they are the only musical survivors.

03-15-24, 07:28 PM (EST)
15. "clarifies medical evacuation rules"
Survivor 46 host Jeff Probst clarifies medical evacuation rules

The host takes us behind the scenes of the latest medevac, and explains whether Randen could have handed off his advantage on his way out.
By Dalton Ross
Published on March 13, 2024
http://ew.com/survivor-46-jeff-probst-clarifies-medical-evacuation-rules-8608890

When Survivor host Jeff Probst shows up on your beach, it is rarely to deliver good news. This week on Survivor 46, it was Randen Montalvo who was on the receiving end of both a visit and the dreaded news that usually follows.

Randen was medically evacuated from the game after his right hand and wrist went numb and he was unable to grip with it. Originally thought to be a lower pinched nerve aggravated by — of all things — sleeping, the injury was later feared to be possibly more problematic after Dr. Will consulted with a neurosurgeon colleague. That led to worry of a chance that it could be a bulging disc in the neck area pushing on the nerve, which would be more serious and could only be checked by having an MRI. And to get that MRI, Randen would have to be pulled from the game.

It was a brutal way for Randen to go, although there really was no other option and the player took his evacuation in stride. EW caught up with the host to get the scoop on what went on behind the scenes towards making the decision to pull Randen, what it was like then giving the Yanu tribe the good news that none of them were going home as a result, and if Randen could have handed off his Beware Advantage to Venus before he left. (The answer may surprise you.)

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Can you just walk us through how and when the decision was made on needing to remove Randen, and how you all jumped into action once that decision was made?

JEFF PROBST: When the injury occurred, our doctor, Dr. Will Duffin, gave Randen a thorough examination and determined it was nerve damage in his arm. Because we never want to pull a player from the game unless we truly believe it is urgent, Dr. Will allowed Randen to stay in the game for the time being. We continued to monitor him as Dr. Will quickly started making calls to other doctors who specialize in the field of nerve damage. After these consultations, Dr. Will made the decision that there was the possibility this could be more serious, and for those reasons we pulled Randen from the game.

He was immediately taken for further testing and we are happy to report that it was not more serious and he has fully recovered. Situations like this are really unfortunate because even though it may only be a slight risk, the health of the player is always our number one concern. And while we do have an impressive emergency medical team on site, we don’t have access to things like an MRI, so we always have to err on the side of caution.

I was very impressed with how Dr. Will handled it. He was on the phone for hours to ensure that the decision he made was the right one. I was also very impressed with how Randen handled it. He certainly did not want to leave the game, but he has a full life with a career and kids and did not want to risk anything to his health. He was grateful for the concern and care he received from our medical team, and even though it was very disappointing to lose him, I’m very glad we made the decision we did.

Venus talked about Randen leaving the game with an advantage in his pocket. We know advantages cannot be passed off after someone has been voted out, but could Randen have passed off his advantage to Venus here on his way out?

When it comes to a player being evacuated, the rules for giving another player any kind of advantage or idol are really clear: You must do it before you are officially pulled from the game. If Randen wanted to give something to Venus, he could have done it at any point up until Dr. Will said “for those reasons, we are pulling you from the game.” This means he could have literally interrupted Dr. Will and said “Wait! Before you pull me…” and given Venus his advantage. But the minute he’s pulled, that option is gone.

What was it like going from the polar emotional opposites of delivering the heartbreak over on Nami with the Randen news to then informing Yanu that they did not need to vote anybody out at Tribal Council?

Those kinds of moments are a really good example of why Survivor is so fun to play. The game is never static. Bad news for one player can be great news for a different player. It’s the same for me in my role as host. The game is always in flux, and you truly never know what is in store from one moment to the next. It’s not even as simple as saying “When you wake up in the morning you never know what’s in store” because it’s 24/7. Once the game starts, there is no stopping, so there is no morning per se. It’s 26 straight days of 24/7. Anything can happen at any time. It keeps producers and players on their toes. It’s absolutely exhausting, but simultaneously exhilarating!

03-15-24, 08:23 PM (EST)
16. "RE: clarifies medical evacuation rules"
If you read my recap you will know what I think of handling this situation. Jeff simply sees it as: «Bad news for one player can be great news for a different player» but it affected 10 players: FOUR had Good News, SIX had bad news.

My way would have only truly affected the evacuated player which is how it should have been.

05-01-24, 05:31 PM (EST)
17. "they have not come up with plan for Survivor 50 yet"
Jeff Probst says they have not come up with plan for Survivor 50 yet

The host notes that trying to top the season 40 all-winners edition is a tall task.

By Dalton Ross Published on April 24, 2024 11:30AM EDT
http://ew.com/survivor-jeff-probst-no-plan-for-season-50-8637112

The best Survivor players have to balance being present in the moment with thinking several moves ahead in the future. In a way, Survivor viewers are no different. While fans can currently enjoy making their own Q Skirts, engaging in high-stakes games of hide-and-seek, and binging reruns of The Andy Griffith Show, they also love to debate and discuss what might come next for their favorite reality competition franchise.

With Jeff Probst telling Entertainment Weekly before Survivor 46 began on CBS that there would be no returning players through season 48, attention has turned to what could be seen as the biggest installment ever — Survivor 50. Fans have been theorizing what could be in store for the landmark season. Could it be another fan-voted Second Chance? Might it be Old Era vs. New Era? Perhaps a season full of runner-ups (after season 40 was all winners)?

While fans have been busy casting their various dream seasons, there is one person who has no idea what season 50 will be, and it is the man most responsible for making the show — host and showrunner Probst.

“We have not come up with our idea for 50 yet,” Probst tells EW. It’s not that the crew is not excited about hitting the big 5-0, and all indications are that something special will be in store (unlike season 25, which brought only three players back, and season 30, which was all newbies). However, there is simply too much show to produce before they get there.

“Obviously, we think about it,” Probst says. “But I think it's easier to think about it when you're writing about Survivor rather than when you're producing it.” (Tough, but fair.)

The host notes that there are three other seasons that need his attention before he can even think about hitting the half-century mark. “We still have 47, 48, and 49, and you might think I'm deflecting, but I don't. To me, those are stress-inducing problems. What are we going to do in 47? What are we going to do in 48? What are we going to do in 49?”

But Probst acknowledges that something special does need to be in store when they finally do hit the magic number. “Then, if we get to 50, what are we going to do? And how do you top Winners at War? What is the idea that would be fun to do?”

The host is blunt with the answer to his rhetorical question: “I don't know. We’re working on it, dreaming about it a lot. Don't have the answer yet.”

Of course, it should be noted that team Survivor committed to the all-winners concept of season 40 pretty late in the process, after feeling out other potential returning player themes before settling on the champion edition. And there is plenty of time to bat around different ideas considering season 50 will not start filming until around Memorial Day, 2025 — and then airing in early 2026.

So it may be a while before Probst and Co. know what Survivor 50 will actually be. But that doesn’t mean we’ll stop asking him

05-01-24, 05:33 PM (EST)
18. "season 50 will be all returning players"
Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

Start your dream casting now.

By Dalton Ross Updated on April 28, 2024 01:09AM EDT
http://ew.com/survivor-50-jeff-probst-all-returning-players-8640105

Jeff Probst recently told Entertainment Weekly that they did not yet have a plan in place for the landmark fiftieth season of Survivor. Well, those plans are now rapidly forming.

During a Survivor Q&A event with EW Editor in Chief Patrick Gomez on Saturday night at the Ovation Hollywood complex in Los Angeles, Probst announced that Survivor 50 (which will be begin filming around Memorial Day 2025 to air in the spring of 2026) will indeed feature all returning players.

“I just got an idea," said the host and showrunner near the conclusion of the event. “Survivor 50 is coming down the corner. The truth is, we really do focus on 47 and 48, that’s what we’re heading out to shoot next, and then we have to shoot 49. But we know 50 is coming, so I am curious, is there a feeling, should 50 be another season with new players and don’t make it a big deal?”

After the audience yelled out no, Probst asked “Or should it be returning players?”

After getting a positive response to that option, Probst announced, “In the spirit of, sometimes letting the game be in the hands of the fans, I feel like — and there are a couple of people from CBS right now going ‘Oh my God, what is happening?’ — I feel like we should just commit and make this the moment where we decide that Survivor 50 will be retuning players. I don’t know what is going to happen after this, but I’m pretty sure we’re committed.”

If you don’t include Bruce Perreault — who was more of a do-over as opposed to a returning player because he got injured just minutes into his first season — Survivor (which is currently airing Survivor 46 on CBS) is already in the longest stretch of all newbie seasons since the show first started bringing players back with Survivor: All-Stars in season 8. There have been no returning all-stars in the entire new era that began with Survivor 41. And the host already told EW that there would be no returning players in season 47 or 48 either. It now seems that Survivor 49 will also be all new players.

While Probst has officially confirmed the speculation that Survivor 50 (like 40 and 20 before it) will be all returnees, he did not mention what the particular theme might be, although viewers have certainly talked about many options, including another fan-voted Second Chance, an Old Era vs. New Era battle, or a season full of runner-ups (after season 40 was all winners).

It will be a while before the theme for season 50 is revealed, but fans can now continue to dream cast what could end up being the franchise’s biggest season ever.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •