The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jeff Probst Says..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Sheldor 3865 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-04-22, 04:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheldor Click to send private message to Sheldor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jeff Probst Says..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-04-22 AT 04:20 AM (EST)

Post to collect all Jeff Says (to EW Dalton Ross) starting with Season 34 43.

Darn! No way to fix text in the list of posts!

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Controversial hourglass twist is no... Sheldor 12-04-22 1
 26-day Survivor seasons are 'here t... Sheldor 12-04-22 2
 'total Canadian dominance' of Survi... Sheldor 12-04-22 3
 'epic' Survivor 43 challenges are s... Sheldor 12-04-22 4
 CBS diversity pledge 'forever chang... Sheldor 12-04-22 5
 possible Survivor international 'sh... Sheldor 12-04-22 6
 days of automatic Survivor merges a... Sheldor 12-04-22 7
 clarifies Survivor idol transfer ru... Sheldor 12-04-22 8
 Survivor casting process Sheldor 12-04-22 9
 clarifies Knowledge Is Power rules Sheldor 12-04-22 10
 future of Survivor returning player... Sheldor 12-04-22 11
 addresses his future as Survivor ho... Sheldor 12-09-22 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

12-04-22, 04:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sheldor Click to send private message to Sheldor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Controversial hourglass twist is no more"
Jeff Probst says Survivor's controversial hourglass twist is no more

The host explains why two big twists will not be back for season 43.

By Dalton Ross
September 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-jeff-probst-hourglass-do-or-die-interview/

Season 40 of Survivor was the end of an era. Featuring 20 past champions, the Winners at War installment was a celebration of 20 years of outwitting, outplaying, and outlasting — complete with a champagne toast to kick things off, and a record $2 million prize to victor Tony Vlachos.

When the show finally returned to air in the fall of 2021 after a Covid-delayed 16-month break, it was presented as the start of a new era, with changes that extended beyond just the abbreviated 26-day format and far more diverse casting. Producers threw the proverbial kitchen sink at contestants with twist upon twist to keep players constantly on their toes. (Apparently, there was also some sort of "monster" on the loose, but that is neither here nor there.)

Jeff Probst already told EW back in May that many of the new wrinkles we saw on seasons 41 and 42 of Survivor (which were filmed back-to-back) would be back for Survivor 43. "Things like small tribes, earn the merge, no food, risk/reward dilemmas, Shot in the Dark, are here to stay," the host said then. "Other specific twists will come and go depending on the season."

We now know two such twists that will not be in play for the upcoming season (which premieres Sept. 21 on CBS). When we asked Probst which twists would be making a return appearance, he turned the tables on us a bit. "Interesting way to ask this question," responds the host. "I'll counter with this. Here's what you won't see in Survivor 43: Change History and Do or Die. How ya like them apples?"

Before we continue, a little refresher course. Change History, or the Hourglass twist (as its commonly known) was a new wrinkle that to call highly controversial would be an understatement. As first presented on Survivor 41, all the players right before the merge except for two were separated onto two teams to take part in a challenge, with the winning team automatically receiving immunity for the next Tribal Council, giving them a fast-pass into the merge. The losers would have to take part in an individual immunity challenge and one of them would then be voted out.

That's actually a pretty interesting new element to add to a show in its 41st season. But that wasn't the end of it. The winning team was then able to choose one of the two players that did not compete to join them on the winning side. On Survivor 41, they chose Naseer Muttalif. That left an on-the-outs Erika Casupanan (below, who was also now in danger of being voted out) to be sent off to Exile Island by herself. Little did anyone know that Erika was about to be granted the power to "make history by changing history."

That's because Erika was given an hourglass and a hammer, and if she chose to smash it, it would reverse the result of the challenge — meaning those who won were now in danger of being voted out, and those who lost (including Erika) were now completely safe. Erika's decision was, in fact, no decision at all, and she not only smashed the hourglass, but went on to eventually win the game.

There was a huge uproar about the twist, and not just from viewers, but players as well. "It's not even a twist, it's a lie," Sydney Segal told EW, who was part of the winning team but was voted out anyway. "We're told one thing and then something else happens."

Danny McCray even argued directly to the host about how unfair the twist was. "We're competitors," Danny told EW. "A lot of us leave a lot of things at home to come out here and play this game. And we put a lot on the line and there's an essence to competition. You play to win so you can win something, right? That's the only reason that you would go out there to compete. And the fact that he was able to lie to us, to trick us and make us work as hard as we did just for it to be taken away from us, it just wasn't cool with me. And his response, you know, it was what it was. I won't really get into that, but it just didn't float with me. So I didn't like it."

Of course, Danny also said in that same interview that "My reality TV days may just be over because that was a very, very tough situation for me to handle and process," yet is now starring on The Challenge: USA, so it couldn't have been too terrible.

Perhaps taking Danny's feedback into account, the show brought the controversial twist back for Survivor 42, but with a few small tweaks. This time, Probst informed the winners that the player they chose to send away (which ended up being Rocksroy Bailey, below) would have the power to change the game, so they would not be completely blindsided by what was to come. He also informed the winners that one of them could choose to swap places and forgo the feast (and possible immunity, as far as they knew) to go to Exile Island themselves to get that power. While these were certainly improvements, it did not get around the fundamental problem many had with the twist in that players were being punished for competing and winning at something.

The Do or Die twist also appeared on both seasons and essentially gave players the option to compete or sit out of a challenge. If they sat out, they had no shot at immunity, but if they competed and were the first person out, they would have to play a game of chance that if they lost, would eliminate them from the game.

Deshawn Radden and Lindsay Dolashewich were the first people out in that challenge for each of their seasons and were forced to play the Do or Die game in which they had to pick the one box out of three that would keep them safe. Interestingly, neither followed the mathematically advantageous strategy that says you should switch boxes after the first one is revealed, yet both ended up beating the odds and being safe.

It seemed everybody had an opinion on the twists, including yours truly. While I actually really liked the decision to have players compete to get into the merge, the Hourglass portion of that twist seemed gimmicky and blatantly unfair — something done more for shock value that solid game mechanics.

But I personally had no problem with the Do or Die twist because — unlike the Hourglass — all the players were given all the rules beforehand and therefore could make their decision accordingly. I just don't understand why anyone would ever choose to play it. (My only real gripe with Do or Die was that you could figure out the result of the box game by how much time was left in the episode. If too much time was left, it was obvious the person won, and they would still have to do a full tribe vote. Then again, I'm probably the only one dorky enough to compare the clock to the episode in real time.)

Jeff Probst does not live in a bubble — except, I suppose, the Covid bubble they implemented for filming — so he heard all the online chatter about the controversial twists, and he knows taking them out of the mix will elicit a big response as well. "I can already hear some fans celebrating and others saying we caved to criticism!" says the host. "We love fan feedback, and the feedback on Change History was amazing. People either really liked it or really hated it, but not a single person said 'Eh, I could take it or leave it.' And with Do or Die, the drama was electrifying but we also felt that was one twist we could put on the shelf… for now."

It's important to remember that because Survivor films seasons back-to-back, they were not able to take fan reaction into account when they bought both the Hourglass and Do or Die twists back for season 42. But now they have heard Survivor Nation loud and clear, and responded in kind. Unless, of course, they have an hourglass handy and want to make history by changing history all over again.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

12-04-22, 04:24 AM (EST)
2. "26-day Survivor seasons are 'here to stay'"
Jeff Probst says 26-day Survivor seasons are 'here to stay'

The host discusses the "new era" of the reality competition show.

By Dalton Ross
September 15, 2022 at 11:30 AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-jeff-probst-26-days-interview/

Jeff Probst has a lot of famous stuff he like to say over and over on Survivor. Once again, immunity is back up for grabs…. Wanna know what you're playing for?… Come on in !

And, for 40 seasons, he kicked off every premiere the same way: "39 days, <16 to 20> people, 1 Survivor!" (Okay, The Australian Outback was actually 42 days, but stop nitpicking.) That opening season line was officially retired last year when Survivor went down to 26-day installments for seasons 41 and 42 due to a prolonged Covid quarantine period.

"The decision to change the game to 26 days came from the fact that we couldn't leave our bubble," Probst explained to EW before Survivor 41. "So if we wanted to shoot two seasons, we had to do it back to back. For us to shoot two seasons of 39 days, back-to-back, along with our 14-day quarantine, would have meant nearly 100 days, and that was simply too long."

When asked back in 2021 what that meant for future editions of the show, the host replied: "We haven't decided if we will go back to 39 days."

They have now. The Sept. 21 premiere of Survivor 41 on CBS is now less than a week away, and once again, the 26-day season is back. But after telling EW about the all the twists that won't be returning, Probst also revealed that the 26-day campaign is no longer a temporary fix. In fact, the host tells EW that "Yes, the 26-day season is here to stay. This is our new game, and we are very excited about the future."

It's not a surprising announcement. The longer a show is on the air, the more expensive it becomes, so the network (in this case, CBS) is always looking for ways to trim the budget. That's why instead of moving around in between countries every season a few months apart, Survivor started filming seasons back-to-back in the same location beginning with Samoa in season 19. It's also why production set up shop permanently in Fiji in season 33.

And while some Survivor purists may throw their hands in the air and scream about the change, the truth is, a 13-day subtraction does not actually make a big difference in terms of the story on the screen. While former Survivor players say there is a huge change in terms of the physical toll a 39-day game takes when compared to one only 2/3 as long, that change cannot be detected as easily on screen.

In fact, the only real issue with the shortened season on Survivor 41 was the relentless (and monotonous) assault of player interviews that kept dubbing it the hardest Survivor season ever, as if producers were trying too hard to convince the audience that the show was still as difficult as advertised. Such convincing was unnecessary.

And, in many ways, the shortened campaign is preferable to extended over 39-day ones on international editions that often feature non-elimination episodes to stretch out the season. For if you truly crave an all-killer and no-filler experience, then Probst says this is the format for you. "From a big picture point of view, this new era is here to stay," says the host. "Twenty six days, no food, meager supplies, penalties for losing, risky advantages, fast pace, small tribes. We like this version and we think it has legs, so we're going to work within that format and see where it goes."

And so are we.

12-04-22, 04:27 AM (EST)
3. "'total Canadian dominance' of Survivor"
Jeff Probst weighs in on 'total Canadian dominance' of Survivor

You can't stop them. You can only hope to contain them.

By Dalton Ross
September 17, 2022 at 11:30 AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-canadian-dominance/

Canada. The home of toques, poutine, and the hilarious comedic stylings of the McKenzie Brothers. But over the past year, the Great White North has become known for something else — absolutely dominating at the game of Survivor.

In a way, our neighbors up north have been making up for lost time. For its first 38 seasons, Survivor essentially told Canadians to "Take off, eh?" That's because even though the program aired and was wildly popular on the other side of the border, its citizens were not allowed on the show. That all changed on season 39, Island of the Idols, when 60-year-old retired NHL player Tom Laidlaw became the first Canadian cast on the program.

Even though he was the fifth one voted out of the game, Tom had a respectable showing and acquitted himself well in his 14 days on the island. But his historic appearance was merely a precursor for what was to come.

After a Winners at War season that pitted former American champs against each other, the Canadian floodgates opened with Survivor 41. No player controlled the screen in the pre-merge portion of the game more than Toronto native Shantel Smith. The self-proclaimed Mafia Pastor even had her own evil theme song for when she pulled off ruthless moves, like convincing JD Robinson to give her his extra vote, and then promptly voting him out.

But if Shan dominated the first half the game, the second half was run by eventual champion Erika Casupanan. On the verge of being eliminated after being sent to Exile Island after the pre-merge challenge, Erika smashed the hourglass, and then flipped the script — riding that decision all the way to the million-dollar prize.

But those wily Canucks were only getting started. Survivor 42 featured a trio of powerhouse Canadians that all left a huge mark on the game. Drea Wheeler may have been born in San Antonio, but was living in Quebec as a fitness consultant when she went to compete on the show. And compete she did, setting a Survivor record by possessing four different advantages (an amulet, an extra vote, a hidden immunity idol, and the Knowledge is Power advantage) at the same time.

Unfortunately for Drea, she confided about her Knowledge is Power advantage to another Canadian, Omar Zaheer, who used the information to engineer her exit from the game in seventh place. Omar was the game's biggest player of the season, but he mostly played from the shadows — forming close bonds with everyone before backstabbing them out of the game. The Ontario veterinarian appeared poised to cruise to victory, until yet another Canadian took him out.

Maryanne Oketch was dismissed by many early on as a loquacious nuisance who was an annoyance around camp with her Energizer bunny level enthusiasm. But her emotional exterior and ebullient personality masked a true game assassin, and when Maryanne engineered Omar's ouster at sixth place, she announced herself as a true gamer. And that gamesmanship was rewarded with a million dollars, making her the second straight Canadian to win the game.

So what's with all this Canadian dominance, tearing through the game like the RCMP? We went to Survivor host Jeff Probst for answers. "That's a fun and funny question," says Probst. I have no idea, but you're right, they are kicking #####!"

But wait! Stop the presses! (And by presses, we naturally mean the Toronto Star, Le Journal de Montrιal, Vancouver Sun, and, of course, The Hamilton Spectator.) Because Jeff Probst actually does have an idea after all! "Oh wait, I might have a theory…" says the host. "It's forming as I think. Ahh. Yes. Okay, hang on, let me do some quick physics analysis… Let's see, carry the one, move the decimal point…yes, got it!"

So what exactly is this theory, Jeff? "Alright, so going all the way back to the early seasons, Canada has always been a huge, loyal supporter of Survivor," says Probst. "But they could never play. So over time that desire (energy) builds and builds, and, like credit card interest, it compounds every year. Now you combine that with the fact that we're fast approaching our 23rd year and as we all know, 23 is a prime number, which means it's only divisible by itself. So you can't lessen the pent up energy by dividing it. Mind blowing, right? So we have this giant ball of Survivor energy that is getting bigger and bigger every day… with no way to release. Until… "News alert! Canadians can apply to be on Survivor!" BOOOOM! Two decades of energy explodes! And from that point forward it's been total Canadian dominance."

I mean, it doesn't sound any worse than anything we've come up with soooooooo sure! Giant ball of Survivor energy! Let's go with that. Oh, and for any American Survivor purists that are worried about these crazy Canucks completely taking over the game and winning season after season, fret not! Producers have already found a way to make sure that does not happen: There are no Canadians cast on Survivor 43.

Survivor 43 premieres Sept. 21 on CBS

12-04-22, 04:29 AM (EST)
4. "'epic' Survivor 43 challenges are some of the biggest ever"
Jeff Probst says the 'epic' Survivor 43 challenges are some of the biggest ever

"We're asking players to do things we wouldn't have dreamed of doing in the early seasons," says the host. "And they’re doing it!"

By Dalton Ross
September 19, 2022 at 01:30 PM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-challenges-jeff-probst-exclusive/

It was proclaimed as new era of Survivor when the reality competition program relaunched after an extended 16-month absence due to COVID. That absence also came after a landmark 40th season titled Winners at War that pitted former champions against each other, making season 41 a natural new beginning for the show.

Indeed, we saw plenty of changes starting with Survivor 41. The biggest difference began with the casting, thanks to CBS' new diversity mandate that at least 50 percent of every reality cast be people of color. There was also the fact that the game was now only 26 days as opposed to 39 (originally done because of the extended quarantine protocol, but now here to stay). And then there were the bevy of new twists and game wrinkles: Shot in the Dark, Knowledge is Power, Goofy Secret Phrases, the Hourglass twist, Do or Die, and plenty of Prisoner's Dilemmas.

While the core of the game — strangers on an island voting each other out until one is declared the winner — remained the same, the evolution of the show kicked into overdrive. Except in one key way. Many of the challenges seen on seasons 41 and 42 were relics of the past. That's not entirely surprising considering all the complications inherent with just getting the program back up and running in the still precarious COVID era that was the spring of 2021, when both seasons were filmed.

But now, a year later, when it came to Survivor 43 (which premieres Sept. 21 on CBS), challenge producer John Kirhoffer decided to go big. "John Kirhoffer has led our challenge team for every single challenge of every single season," says Jeff Probst. "And I gotta say, Survivor 43 has some of the biggest and most dramatic challenges of any season."

EW has some exclusive images of those challenges, which you can see here (along with an exclusive photo of what looks like the day 1 marooning, because why the heck not?). According to the host, the new challenges will not just be bigger, they will be harder as well.

"I'm not sure what got into Kirhoffer's team," Probst says. "But these challenges are no joke. We're asking players to do things we wouldn't have dreamed of doing in the early seasons and they're doing it!"

Probst says even he was amazed once he saw the competition courses at their full size and scale: "It seemed like every other day I was saying to Kirhoffer, 'Wow, these challenges looked so much smaller on paper. You're SURE the players can do this, right?!"

And while the contestants will certainly be challenged to the extreme going through these challenges, awaiting them on the other side lies glory… and perhaps an immunity idol or necklace. "They're definitely epic," says Probst of the courses. "And so is the feeling of accomplishment when you conquer it!"

The conquering begins Sept. 21.

12-04-22, 04:31 AM (EST)
5. "CBS diversity pledge 'forever changed Survivor'"
LAST EDITED ON 12-04-22 AT 04:34 AM (EST)

Jeff Probst says CBS diversity pledge 'forever changed Survivor'

The host and executive producer says the show has hit the casting jackpot again for season 43, and it's all thanks to a new network casting mandate.

By Dalton Ross
September 21, 2022 at 11:30 AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-premiere-jeff-probst-cbs-diversity-casting-pledge/

There was a racial reckoning in this country in the aftermath of the George Floyd and Breonna Taylor tragedies in the spring of 2020. Long overdue change was in the air everywhere, including in the realm of reality TV. Conceived and billed as a microcosm of society, reality competition shows all too often did not accurately reflect the many ethnicities in America today.

That put the spotlight squarely on CBS, the home of network TV's three longest running reality shows in Survivor, Big Brother, and The Amazing Race. So headlines were made on Nov. 9 when CBS announced that all future reality casts would contain at least 50 percent Black, Indigenous and people of color.

"The reality TV genre is an area that's especially underrepresented, and needs to be more inclusive across development, casting, production and all phases of storytelling," said George Cheeks, president and chief executive officer for the CBS Entertainment Group (and Chief Content

Officer, News and Sports, Paramount+). "As we strive to improve all of these creative aspects, the commitments announced today are important first steps in sourcing new voices to create content and further expanding the diversity in our unscripted programming, as well as on our network."

The results were immediate. The following season of Big Brother (season 23) saw the formation of the Cookout alliance — a group of six Black contestants who ran the game, leading to the history victory of the show's first (non-celebrity edition) Black winner, Xavier Prather.

And seasons 41 and 42 of Survivor — which were filmed before season 23 of Big Brother, but aired after — featured the show's most diverse casts in 27 seasons and culminated in the victories of Erika Casupanen (the show's first Filipino champion) and Maryanne Oketch (the franchise's second Black female to win). Erika and Maryanne also both happen to be Canadian, but that's another story.

When he looks back at how the show hit the casting jackpot with a flurry of big characters and even bigger players over the past two seasons, host and executive producer Jeff Probst says all the credit goes to his network boss. "It all circles back to when George Cheeks laid out the new CBS diversity casting mandate," Probst tells EW. "Having the power and the courage to make that happen forever changed Survivor."

As for Survivor 43 (which premieres tonight at 8 p.m. ET on CBS), the host says to expect more of the same. "The Survivor 43 players come from so many different types of backgrounds, experiences, and cultures and that leads to really unique stories," says Probst. "I love this group of players."

The host notes how the diverse cast of Survivor 43 also led to a lot of diverse reactions on his part for a season that truly runs the emotional gamut: "This entire season was so unpredictable. Some days I was laughing, other days I was moved, and some days I was just completely perplexed by what was going on!"

The contestants were perplexed as well by what the host was throwing back at them, courtesy of a new slew of changes to game designed to keep them constantly on their toes. "The biggest hint I can give to fans and future players is that in this new era, it's really not about new specific twists or wrinkles," says Probst. "Yes, we may have some, we may have a lot, we may have none. But because this new version is still so new, it doesn't ultimately matter. It's the overall uncertainty that makes the daily decisions so fraught and that is what keeps the players off-balance."

A now-balanced cast being kept off-balance is music to our ears.

12-04-22, 04:34 AM (EST)
6. "possible Survivor international 'showdown' season"
Jeff Probst talks possible Survivor international 'showdown' season

The host says they have considered a season pitting U.S. players against contestants from international editions, but explains why they're not quite there yet.

By Dalton Ross
October 12, 2022 at 11:30 AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-international-showdown-season/

Over the summer, CBS aired an edition of The Challenge featuring familiar faces from other CBS reality shows Survivor, Big Brother, Love Island, and The Amazing Race. Titled The Challenge: USA, the season not only had network reality stars facing off against each other, but also acted as a feeder competition in that the winners of the USA edition would then compete against international versions of the show on something called The Challenge: Global Championship. Those winners turned out to be Survivor alums Danny McCray and Sarah Lacina, the latter of which was also the champion of Survivor: Game Changers.

With The Challenge going global and pitting players from an American edition against international ones, one can't help wonder if CBS/Paramount would ever stage a similar battle for its most high-profile reality competition series — Survivor.

Not only is Survivor still going strong in its 43rd season, but it has spawned several successful international editions along the way. The most popular edition has been Australian Survivor, which aired two seasons in the early 2000s before rebooting in 2016 with host Jonathan LaPaglia. The series has gained recognition for magnetic casting (including Luke Toki, Shonee Fairfax, and David Genet, just to name a few) and brutally physical challenges. It's 10th season, titled Heroes V Villains, is scheduled to air in 2023.

But another international entry has also been coming on strong of late. Survivor South Africa has been on a tear ever since it returned in 2018 with its sixth season, Survivor South Africa: Philippines, featuring fan favorites like Palesa Tau, Toni Tebbutt, and Werner Joubert. The most recent installment, this summer's Return of the Outcasts (which brought back popular players such as Chappies, Marian de Vos, and Dino Paulo), was another creative high point, even with the show risking (and somehow avoiding) overkill by airing four times a week.

While South Africa and Australia have the most celebrated of the current international editions, there have also been plenty of other noteworthy installments over the years, including New Zealand's Survivor NZ, which aired two seasons in 2017 and 2018. The point is, with so many other Survivor players out there outside of North America, why not stage a U.S. vs. The World season? And that's exactly what we asked host Jeff Probst.

"First off, I watched the premiere of The Challenge and really liked it," says Probst when we asked whether Survivor could follow suit with an international battle royal. "They do a great job producing that show, and it was fun to see so many familiar faces! And I could definitely take a note or two when it comes to how produce a host entrance. T.J. comes on like a rock star! Now that's how you do it!"

Alright, Jeff — enough stalling! "Okay back to your question," says the host and executive producer. "We have definitely considered some kind of international Survivor showdown, but we've never figured out a way to do it that we thought would be fun for our audience and still loyal to the format."

The fact that Probst and producers have even considered staging such a season should be music to the ears of fans who either enjoy the foreign editions or wish they had access to such installments. (A few seasons of Australian Survivor and Survivor South Africa were briefly available on Paramount+ before apparently having their proverbial torches snuffed by the streaming service.)

And while Probst says they have not quite figured out how to make the clash for global domination work, there are clear advantages to casting a season half-filled with international players. For one thing, you already have a deep pool of personalities that have proven to pop on screen and yet have not already been overexposed on these shores. It would also complete the foreign exchange program started when U.S. franchise stars Russell Hantz and Sandra Diaz-Twine went and competed over on Australian Survivor.

"Survivor is so much about the nuance of relationships, and with the language barriers that come with an international format, we're not yet convinced we know how to do it," Probst tells EW. But with so many quality contestants from English-language editions ready and waiting, here's hoping he finds a way.

12-04-22, 04:47 AM (EST)
7. "days of automatic Survivor merges are over"
Jeff Probst says the days of automatic Survivor merges are over

The host also weighs in on extended installments and why 90-minute Survivor episodes are ideal.

By Dalton Ross
November 02, 2022 at 10:30 AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-jeff-probst-merge-interview/

When Survivor emerged from its extended COVID-19 hiatus, the show was more chaotic than ever — and that was intentional. Even before the global pandemic came around, host and executive producer Jeff Probst saw the season 40 Winners at War installment, which pitted champions from the first two decades against each other, as the end of an era, with season 41 as the start of a new phase for the franchise.

That meant trying out a bevy of new twists, tweaks, and wrinkles, and doing so in a newly condensed 26-day format — shaving off one-third of the season. As a result, Survivor 41 and Survivor 42 (which used essentially the same creative elements) were experiments of a sort. Producers decided to try a lot new things and then see what worked moving forward. We are now seeing the results of that experimentation on Survivor 43.

The perfect illustration of that approach is the evolution of the merge process. Last year, producers decided to make a change where all the players would compete in a challenge, and the winners would automatically make the merge, while the losers would be vulnerable at one more Tribal Council before the merge was official for all. It was an exciting switch that upheld the integrity of the game while also providing interesting new dynamics with only half the tribe being eligible to be voted out.

Unfortunately, there was one other step involving the implementation of a highly controversial hourglass twist that enabled one player to reverse the results of the challenge. Thankfully, after the hourglass proved unpopular with both fans and players, producers ditched it for the current season, settling on the far more intriguing first half of the change, with players still battling to receive their fancy new buff.

And according to Probst, it is a change that is here to stay. The host and EP spoke to EW at the halfway point of the season, weighing in on the merge 2.0, giving his take on the big bag search, and explaining why 90 minutes is "a great length for a Survivor episode."

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The network gave you three and a half hours over your first two episodes this season, which enabled you to introduce the entire cast very quickly. I know it's all about the CBS programming schedule and how much time they can spare with all their other big shows, but is this extra time the sort of thing you lobby for as an executive producer? And if so, what are those discussions like?

JEFF PROBST: I love when you ask questions like this because it gives our audience insight into different aspects of what it takes to produce our show, and that makes me happy. Yes, I'm definitely involved, and yes, I'm almost always asking for more time because we have so much material we want to put in our show!

Here's the lowdown. Because we are a CBS show, we are limited to a specific running time, which is roughly 42 minutes. That's the big difference between a traditional network and a streaming service. Streamers don't have the same limitations, so one episode might be 45 minutes and the next episode could be 56 minutes. It doesn't matter. So even though you can watch Survivor episodes on Paramount +, the running time will still be 42 minutes.

That means you often have to cut scenes that are really good but don't connect directly to the main story, which is always "Who will be voted out tonight?" So whenever you hear a player being frustrated that their funny joke didn't make the cut, it's not because it wasn't funny, it's only because we just didn't have enough time.

Our premiere was always scheduled for two hours and that's significant, because you really need to know in advance so you can build the episode accordingly. It was the same thing for episode 2, as CBS wanted to pair us with Amazing Race to do a three-hour block, so we both did 90 minutes.

I actually think 90 minutes is a great length for a Survivor episode. It means basically 63 minutes of total running time, and that's similar to what you would find on a streaming service. But as producers, we need to know in advance so we can structure our creative ideas to accommodate the additional time.

Fortunately, we have an incredibly tight relationship with CBS and that allows us to talk candidly about stuff like this and do what is best for the show. That's always the priority. I've talked to a lot of other producers on different shows and their stories always make me appreciate what we have with CBS.

You were out there on the scene when it happened, so what was your reaction when the Vesi tribe started blatantly helping Baka on the puzzle so they could beat Coco? In the moment, were you thinking that was a smart move to help even out the numbers a bit, or a dangerous move to risk making enemies heading into an eventual merge?

It's an interesting situation for me, because as it's happening, I'm actually not editorializing at all. There are too many other things I need to focus on, so all I'm doing is commenting on what I'm seeing in real time. Zero thoughts about whether it's good or bad, and there is so much chaos that I wouldn't even know how Coco was reacting to it.

Then when the challenge is over, I quickly sort back over any highlights and decide what to bring up for discussion. Had Vesi been secretly helping Baka, then I never would have brought it up. But because it was so public and so obvious, it's fair for me to talk about it.

As for whether it is ultimately good or bad, I don't spend much time on that because it's pure speculation and ultimately unimportant to me. It's their game. But if I was watching at home, I would definitely have a lot of opinions! It's one of the best parts of being a fan, you get to second-guess everything!

There has been so much drama this season about the search through Gabler's bag. What do you make of Jeanine and Elie's decision to go through it, as well as Gabler's reaction of telling everybody about it at the challenge winners' feast?

This connects me back to something you used to write about in this same column years ago! You would hear me say, "In order to win this game, you have to be willing to make big moves." You would then write something clever about "Probst just wants big moves for his show! Don't fall for it!" So I'm going to say the exact same thing again in a different way. You can't win this game by playing to not lose. You can't win by playing safe. You can't win by being afraid to take a risk. Sure, you could get to the final three, but you won't get a single vote.

If you want to have a shot to win, you have to play a game that your jury will respect. Sneaking through the bag of another player is a big move. You're seeking information that might give you an edge when it comes to the vote. That's playing the game. Of course, it can backfire if you get caught — that's why it's a big move. Likewise, Gabler had a decision to make: Do I keep this information to myself, or do I use it to try and sabotage Elie's game? He went big. It could have backfired on him if he was seen as stirring up trouble. But you have to take the risk. I'm 100 percent on this feeling of playing to win vs. playing to not lose.

While I was not a fan of the hourglass twist, I always liked the idea of splitting everyone up into two teams and having people battle to get into the merge, which is what you did here for Survivor 43. Do you think this, or something like this, will become a regular part of Survivor seasons to come, as opposed to an automatic merge?

You nailed it. The most important idea of the new merge is that you must earn it. That's one of the core principles of this new era of Survivor. In the past you "made" the merge, but now you "earn" the merge. It's the same for every layer of the game. There are very few rewards, there are penalties for losing, and there is an emphasis on earning it every step of the way. So yes, count on this being the new merge moving forward.

You mentioned before the season that there would be some really big builds on the challenges, and we certainly saw that, along with some fresh new elements. What about now heading into the post-merge part of the game, which typically has smaller, stationary tests of balance or endurance? What can we expect to see coming up?

During the tribe phase, our challenges are designed to force a tribe to work together, and in doing so highlight who contributes and who is a liability. This information is then factored into all the other layers of the game, like who helps at camp, who is loyal in an alliance, who might have an idol or advantage. Then when you go to Tribal, you factor all of this into your decision.

So the challenges have been getting bigger and more difficult, with the understanding that how you perform in a challenge is merely one of the elements that goes into deciding who you keep and who you vote out of the game.

Once we merge, we shift our focus to creating challenges that are as fair as possible for all players, regardless of age or physical abilities. There are of course lots of variables and some challenges favor different types of skills, but the idea is that on any given day, any player can win. And you see it happen all the time — someone surprises themselves by winning individual immunity and getting to wear the necklace.

Finally, hit us up with a big tease for the back half of the season.

These are always tough for me to do, so here's what I can offer. Gameplay gets more intense, moves become even more calculated, and once again, the great players step up and make… big moves!

12-04-22, 04:48 AM (EST)
8. "clarifies Survivor idol transfer rules at Tribal Council"
Jeff Probst clarifies Survivor idol transfer rules at Tribal Council

Can you hand another player an idol while the votes are being read on Survivor? We went to the host for the definitive word.

By Dalton Ross
November 02, 2022 at 09:00 PM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-43-jeff-probst-idol-transfer-tribal-council/

We went to host and executive producer Jeff Probst for answers. First off, we wanted to make sure the rule about not being able to hand an idol over after you were voted out was still intact. "That's correct," says Probst. "Once you're voted out, you're out of the game and any advantage or idols in your possession lose all their power. You must turn all unplayed idols or advantages over to us. You are not allowed to even sneak an advantage to a player so they could try to bluff with it."

That's an interesting last point, that even a dead idol is not allowed to be played as a decoy. But now that we have reestablished that idols and advantages cannot be transferred as one is getting up to get their torch snuffed, what about during the reading of the votes, when Jeanine was asking for her idol back? Again, we went to the host for the final word. Could Dwight have handed the idol back before that final vote was read?

"No," says Probst. "Once the reading of the votes begins, that's it. That's why I say, 'If anyone has an idol or an advantage and you want to play it, now would be the time to do so.' That's your window. After that, you are basically handcuffed from doing anything other than hoping it's not you."

So there you have it. Had Dwight passed Jeanine's idol back to her it would have been confiscated by producers and presumably buried out on Ghost Island to mature with awesome new powers. All that said, it was still a nice try by Jeanine. Make sure to also check out more from Probst about extended Survivor episodes and future merges, read our full episode recap, as well as our exit interview with Dwight Moore, and watch an exclusive deleted scene from this week's episode.

12-04-22, 04:51 AM (EST)
9. "Survivor casting process"
Survivor casting process

"Putting on a front doesn't work, as our process is designed to sniff out anyone who isn't being authentic," says the host and executive producer.

By Dalton Ross
November 16, 2022 at 11:30 AM EST
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-casting-process/

It started with a simple enough question: Who has surprised you out on the island on Survivor 43? The question was posed to Jeff Probst. But what we got back from the host and executive producer was not merely a name or two from the current cast, but rather a rare sneak peek into the entire casting process that hopefuls go through to end up on the show.

"One of the most fascinating and enjoyable aspects of producing Survivor is the casting process," Probst tells EW. "It's so much fun! We get to meet so many truly amazing people and learn about their lives." Okay, but what about the process itself? "Typically, it goes like this," says Probst. "We hop on Zoom, and they start to tell us about their lives. I often spend the first few minutes thinking the same thing… 'How have they already done so much at such a young age, and what was I doing when I was 24!??'"

Of course, that is just the first step. "If they continue onto the next round," continues Probst, "they meet our psychologists, and that can get pretty deep pretty fast." Probst explains what they are looking for in these interviews while also offering some key advice to future applicants.

"Our only intention is to get to know who they really are," says the host. "It's one of the things I try to stress to people who are applying to be on Survivor. You don't have to be anything other than who you are. It sounds so simple but it's the absolute truth. You do not need an emotional underdog story, you do not need to be the funniest person in the room, you don't need to have a college degree, you don't need to be anything other than you."

The host also has a warning for those who may enter the casting phase trying to act like someone they aren't: "Putting on a front doesn't work anyway, as our process is designed to sniff out anyone who isn't being authentic."

So how does what producers see during casting match up to how people act once they get onto the show and into the game? "By the time we get out to the island, we know a lot about each player," Probst explains. "But all that really does is allow us to build a theory on how they might respond once the game begins. Survivor is a very unique experience, and we can never fully predict how each player will handle the various elements because they've never done anything like this!"

Okay, so back to the original question. Who has surprised Probst with how they have played out on the island? "We've been pleasantly surprised by a number of people this season," says the host. "Cody has surprised with his level of cleverness. Gabler has surprised with his ability to go with the flow and play the fool when necessary. Jeanine has surprised with her resilience, both physically and emotionally. We were also surprised at Karla's initial fear of taking the Beware Advantage. We anticipated she would attack out of the gate, but instead she is playing a more subtle, but strong game."

Probst's overall take on the season 43 cast? "As a group I really am happy with how the season is going. Survivor is hard and every player out there is giving 100%. That's all we can ever ask of anyone."

12-04-22, 04:53 AM (EST)
10. "clarifies Knowledge Is Power rules"
Jeff Probst clarifies Knowledge Is Power rules on Survivor

Could James have swiped Noelle's Steal-a-Vote right after she told Jeff she had an advantage? We asked the host.

By Dalton Ross
November 16, 2022 at 09:00 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-knowledge-is-power-rules/

There have been a few interesting instances this season on Survivor 43 regarding rules at Tribal Council. Earlier in the season, Mike "Gabler" Gabler received an idol that was good for the first two Tribal Councils he attended. However, the second Tribal he went to ended up being the half-merge one in which he and his team were all safe. So, fans wondered, did that count as Gabler's second Tribal Council since he could not even be voted for? Indeed, it did, because Gabler still could have used the idol and played it for someone else in danger.

Then, some viewers were a bit confused when it appeared Jeanine Zheng was asking Dwight Moore while the votes were being read to give her back the immunity idol he was holding. It turned out Jeanine was not asking for the idol back and Dwight did not even have it, but some questioned whether you were able to still transfer an idol or advantage before the final vote was read. Jeff Probst clarified to EW that you most certainly cannot.

Another potential gray area popped up on this week's episode, once again at Tribal Council. At the first Tribal of the evening, Noelle Lambert was worried about James Jones potentially using his Knowledge Is Power advantage to steal her Steal-A-Vote. The Knowledge Is Power is a new twist introduced in season 41 that allows the holder to ask one player at Tribal Council if they have an advantage or idol. If they do, they then have to give that advantage or idol over to the holder of the Knowledge Is Power.

In this week's episode, Noelle decided to tell James that she planned to use her Steal-a-Vote on Owen Knight and take his vote, which she did. However, she then used those two votes to oust James from the game. But before Noelle could play the advantage, she had to read to everyone at Tribal a note explaining what the power was and how it worked.

So, in that time before Noelle had actually used the Steal-a-Vote, could James have piped up and stolen Noelle's advantage after she revealed her intention to use it. We went to the host for the definitive answer. "The Knowledge Is Power advantage cannot be used against a player who has already publicly declared to me at Tribal Council that they are going to use their advantage or idol," Probst tells EW. "James would have had to ask Noelle before she declared that she had an advantage to play."

That makes total sense in that the entire spirit of the Knowledge Is Power — and why it played out so dramatically in seasons 41 and 42 — is that you have to guess who actually has the idol or advantage you want to steal. Both Liana Wallace and Drea Wheeler were foiled in their attempts when players shuffled their idols around. (That's also how Jesse Lopez ended up with Jeanine's immunity idol this season.)

Regardless, Probst says that the players in the game are always clearly informed of when and how any use or thievery of an item must take place: "Our producers are very aware of who has what and always remind players of any particulars regarding when they must play an advantage or when a note must be read."

As for what specifically happened this week, the host notes that "In this situation, James knew going into Tribal that if he wants to try to steal an advantage or an idol, he has to speak up immediately before any moves are made by other players. Then, once the vote reading process begins, nothing else can be played and no advantage or idol can be given to another player. This includes after a player is voted out. They cannot hand over an unused advantage or idol to another player. It's dead."

And, unfortunately for James, so is his game. Is the Knowledge Is Power the new Survivor car curse? Four people — including two this season — have possessed it and no one has yet to use it successfully. Read our full recap for everything else that went down this week on Survivor 43.

12-04-22, 04:55 AM (EST)
11. "future of Survivor returning player seasons"
Jeff Probst weighs in on the future of Survivor returning player seasons

The Survivor host talks about bringing popular players back, and we crunch the numbers to tell you when it could happen.

By Dalton Ross
November 29, 2022 at 12:30 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-returning-players/

It's always a delicate balance with Survivor. When it comes to twists and changes, the show has to evolve and grow, while also retaining the essential spirit and structure that made the program such a cultural phenomenon to begin with. That delicate balance has always extended to casting as well.

The entire concept of Survivor began back in 2000 with the conceit of dropping 16 strangers off on an island together to see how they built a mini-society while simultaneously competing for a million dollar prize. And that conceit remained unchanged for the first seven seasons. Then came Survivor: All-Stars.

Instead of bringing 16 strangers together with no prior knowledge of each other or connections, All-Stars returned 18 former players — many of whom had appeared on the same seasons or mingled at various social events. While All-Stars ended up being something of a letdown, the initial burst of excitement at seeing winners like Richard Hatch, Tina Wesson, and Ethan Zohn compete against each other and other notable players such as Colby Donaldson, Jerri Manthey, and Rupert Boneham was off the charts.

Ever since that moment, Survivor has toggled between seasons of new players, installments of returning ones, and merging from pools of both newbies and all-stars — with the question always being: How often is too often to bring players back? The answer has varied. At the height of returning player mania, six of the eight outings between season 20 (Heroes vs. Villains) and season 27 (Blood vs. Water) featured at least two returning players.

The pace slowed somewhat after that. For the 12 installments between season 28 (Cagayan) and 39 (Island of the Idols), Survivor brought back returning players only 3 times. That then led into the most anticipated all-star battle ever, season 40's Winners at War, which pitted 20 former champions against each other for a record $2 million prize. Executive producer and host Jeff Probst described the season as the end of an era, which begs the question: What era are we in now? At least when it comes to returning players?

Survivor's "new era" has also coincided with a new era in casting thanks to CBS' diversity mandate that every unscripted cast be at least 50 percent people of color. While seasons 41 and 42 included several controversial new production twists such as the Hourglass and Do or Die wrinkles, the casts themselves were universally praised, and not just for their diversity.

Both groups of all-new players were fun and fought hard, making for entertaining TV each and every week. While the current Survivor 43 season has lacked fireworks and some of the intriguing interpersonal drama of the previous two campaigns, it once again features a likeable collection of personalities and people for whom to root. For his part, Probst gives all the credit to the Survivor casting team.

"As Survivor superfans know, there have only been two casting producers in our 22-year history," he tells EW. "Lynne Spillman was the first. She was there from day one and found some of the most iconic Survivor players of all time. She's a legend and the first inductee into the Unscripted Casting Hall of Fame. Then Jesse Tannenbaum took over and with his team has found some of the most electric, likable, diverse, layered players of the modern game. So many of them are on our list for a second shot at some point."

Ahhhhh… "at some point." But when exactly will that some point be? Since Probst was so adamant about starting a new era of the show after Winners at War, it's a pretty safe assumption that means at least four straight seasons of all-new casts to build up the roster of contestants to bring back — meaning one should not expect to see familiar faces when Survivor 44 premieres March 1, 2023 on CBS.

So, if that is the case, when will we see former contestants heading back to the island? "To your question about a season of returning players," Probst says, "the truly honest answer is we don't know. We are definitely open to returning players, from any era, but we don't plan that far ahead. Right now, we like the excitement of new players, but you never know when an idea will spark and we'll be picking up the phone to start calling former players, hoping they say yes!"

Players from before season 40 will certainly enjoy hearing that they are still in consideration to play again, and that invitations will not be extended solely to new school contestants. But if Probst is not going to tell us when they are bringing players back again, let's go ahead and make an educated guess ourselves.

Since Survivor first brought players back for All-Stars in season 8, the most seasons they have run in a row without bringing at least two players back is four — season 12 (Panama) through 15 (China). So if Survivor 44 is indeed all newbies, that would match the franchise's longest streak of shunning returnees. Does that mean Survivor 45 will feature some past favorites? Not necessarily, if recent history is any guide.

Survivor films two seasons back-to-back every year, and all four of the seasons featuring returning players since season 30 have been on the back end of those double dips. (Survivor: Cambodia was aired as season 31 but was actually filmed after Kaoh Rong and put on TV first due to the fan voting Second Chance element). Filming these seasons on the back end gives producers and casting extra time to secure talent, and also allows them to invite players (like Zeke Smith and Michaela Bradshaw, to name two) from the odd numbered season on the front end to come back immediately while fan interest in the person is still sky high.

Which is why we are guessing that Survivor 46 (airing in the spring of 2024) could be the first time in the new era that we see returning players back on the beach. Based on all the evidence, it just makes too much sense not to happen. Of course, since Survivor is famous for its curve balls and twists, that is precisely why it probably won't.

12-09-22, 03:01 PM (EST)
12. "addresses his future as Survivor host"
Jeff Probst addresses his future as Survivor host

"I love Survivor and I still need Survivor," says the host and showrunner about how long he plans to keep going as the face of the franchise.

By Dalton Ross
December 07, 2022 at 11:30 AM EST
http://ew.com/tv/jeff-probst-future-survivor-host/

Back in 2005, Jeff Probst almost left Survivor. During filming on season 12, Survivor: Panama, the host did not know if he would be snuffing his own torch at the end of that production cycle.

Probst had other interests — having written and directed a taut and suspenseful film called Finder's Fee starring Ryan Reynolds and James Earl Jones — and was massively underpaid as the face of a genre-launching franchise, making considerably less than scripted stars pulling in smaller ratings on the network.

Probst departing the show after Panama was a very real — and, at one point, seemingly likely — scenario, but eventually, CBS backed up the Brinks truck and convinced the host to stay. However, it was only a temporary fix. Uncertainty returned when Probst's contract was up after season 16, but after more deliberations and contract negotiations, the host again decided to keep on snuffin'.

It helped that Probst — who won the reality hosting Emmy award the first four years it was given — was assuming more control behind-the-scenes, gradually working his way up from just host, to producer, to executive producer, to co-showrunner, to showrunner. As Probst became more and more involved in the day-to-day operations of the program, he became more invested — to the point where imagining the franchise without him is almost impossible.

But with Survivor close to wrapping up its 43rd (!!!) season on Dec. 14, one can't help but wonder how much longer the host wants to continue yelling at contestants to "Dig Deep!" The question takes on extra weight when you consider the conditions in which Survivor films.

Unlike his fellow contemporaries, Probst does not work in air-conditioned comfort. How long does the 61-year-old want to continue battling the elements — like calling challenges while getting battered into by massive waves or conducting outdoor Tribal Councils in downpours? We checked in with the host to ask him. With Survivor seeming like it could go on forever, how much longer does he want to keep hosting and executive producing?

"The Covid break was a great Survivor reset for me," Probst tells EW. "Coming on the heels of Winners at War, which I loved, I was more tired than I realized. When we had to postpone our shoot, it gave me a chance to step back and once again reflect on all the things I absolutely love about this show."

To Probst, the show is more than a mere job at this point; it's part of his very fabric. And as difficult as it is for viewers to imagine Survivor without its longtime host, it is just as difficult for the longtime host to imagine himself without Survivor.

"It's impossible to describe what Survivor represents to me. Impossible. It goes beyond creative expression or professional recognition. It's much deeper. It's right in line with the ideas I try to impress on our players. It's about pushing myself further than I think I can go, about trying to stay in the moment and adapt to my surroundings, about being a good 'tribe member,' about being open to new ideas and new people. The same opportunities Survivor offers the players, it offers me. I love Survivor and I still need Survivor."

That answer makes it clear that Probst has no plans to step down anytime soon. And while the host has deliberately kept his timeline somewhat vague, it would be an absolute shock to see him leave before hitting the landmark season 50, especially with the franchise is so close to hitting that magic number. (Season 44 is already in the can, and seasons 45 and 46 will film next spring in Fiji.)

Whether Probst decides to dig deep and stick around after season 50, however, is another matter. And can the show even keep going without him? We'll just have to wait and see how the votes shake out.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •