The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The American Baking Competition"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-03-13, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The American Baking Competition"
... hang on, I know that music.

Our "host" seems to have enjoyed some hospitality before the show, unfortunately it hasn't given him a personality. A comedian who releases albums instead of DVDs or webcasts? Oh dear, oh dear,oh dear. Mel and Sue slap him into a firm nowhere.

Judge 1 qualified as a pastry chef at the Ritz Escoffier Cooking School in Paris :-| A qualified judge? How very dare they! She would lose out to Mary Berry, but as Mary can give her 40+ years that's nothing to worry about. Seems shockingly competent.

Judge 2 He seems familiar? Although a little less flirty and exuberant than usual. A draw, Paul Hollywood is almost as good as Paul Hollywood, although he didn't say soggy bottom that much in the US.

So dump the host NOW. Apart from that it works for me.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Where are Voice of the Beehive when we need them?

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The American Baking Competition Estee 06-03-13 1
 RE: The American Baking Competition susang 06-06-13 2
 And now we find our why Paul is bei... Starshine 06-06-13 3
 RE: The American Baking Competition samboohoo 06-07-13 4
   Cookie Episode rachelOH63 06-07-13 5
       RE: Cookie Episode samboohoo 06-08-13 6
           RE: Cookie Episode tribephyl 06-08-13 8
               RE: Cookie Episode rachelOH63 06-21-13 10
 RE: The American Baking Competition samboohoo 06-08-13 7
 RE: The American Baking Competition Starshine 06-15-13 9
   RE: The American Baking Competition rachelOH63 06-22-13 11
       RE: The American Baking Competition Starshine 06-23-13 12
           RE: The American Baking Competition rachelOH63 06-23-13 14
               RE: The American Baking Competition Starshine 06-24-13 15
 Bread Starshine 06-23-13 13
   RE: Bread samboohoo 06-24-13 16
       RE: Bread rachelOH63 06-25-13 17
 Desserts samboohoo 06-28-13 18
   RE: Desserts rachelOH63 07-01-13 19
   RE: Desserts Starshine 07-07-13 20
 RE: The American Baking Competition Agman2 01-12-16 21
   RE: The American Baking Competition kidflash212 07-10-16 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

06-03-13, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
The thing you have to realize about Foxworthy is that much of his audience still considers radios to be a dangerously progressive idea which may defile the divine law stating that only a deity may speak from empty air. He's risking a stoning just by acknowledging the phonograph.

Brave man, really.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

06-06-13, 01:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
I liked the first (pie/pastry) episode. My late grandmother was from the Midwest, and made good pies.

Some reality shows that have "American" in the title tend to be one-offs (American Inventor, Great American Road Trip, American Juniors, etc).

06-06-13, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "And now we find our why Paul is being less flirty"
Breaking up with his wife

No mention of Jeff Foxworthy which makes me suspicious that they have something to hide.

Lovely cheese Mooney

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-13, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
I am watching. I enjoyed Episode 1 and haven't seen Episode 2 yet. I don't really mind Foxworthy, I think I'm used to hearing his voice because my son and I still watch, "Are you smarter than a 5th Grader" on GSN.

I don't know the names yet. I liked their Top 3 from Episode 1. Will watch 2 over the weekend.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

rachelOH63 210 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-07-13, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rachelOH63 Click to send private message to rachelOH63 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Cookie Episode"
I just chanced upon this show. Saw the cookie episode's last 2 challenges. I liked it. Learned something about macaroons!

Which episode is this?

06-08-13, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Cookie Episode"
This was Episode 2. You missed 1 with the pies. Next week is cakes.

I too learned something about macaroons - I thought they were something completely different.

tribephyl 12163 desperate attention whore postings

06-08-13, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Cookie Episode"
The difference is the extra "O".

Macaron
Macaroon

Actually, the biggest difference is coconut. They both start with an almond-based meringue. Macaroons simply integrate coconut into the batter before baking.
I've had many a guest assume they are one thing only to be delivered another. And if you're in the mood for coconut, plain almond meringue just doesn't cut it.

06-21-13, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rachelOH63 Click to send private message to rachelOH63 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Cookie Episode"
Thanks! Just looked at the links. Those macarons are so pretty!

06-08-13, 10:00 AM (EST)
7. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
I like Effie, Elaine and Francine. In no particular order. I'm not sure I would love everything Effie makes, but I still like her. I think would devour almost anything Elaine or Francine makes.

06-15-13, 03:45 PM (EST)
9. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
Thoughts on episode 2 (I've been on a course all week)

I think I would like almost anything that Francine or Elaine cooked.

I think that Colette should have gone home, and I still think that the host could use replacing.

Interesting how we have similar but different things Smores = Chocolate tea cakes. Slight difference in the biscuit and we make and fill chocolate shells instead of pouring chocolate over.

I haven't seen anyone do anything spectacular yet, but the previews for week 3 (or as I refer to it later this evening) looks exciting.

Lovely cheese Mooney

06-22-13, 07:18 PM (EST)
11. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
LAST EDITED ON 06-22-13 AT 07:21 PM (EST)

I just watched the first 3 eps "On Demand". I like this show a lot. I think it has to do with my love/hate relationship with baking.... And my many dessert disaster stories!

Where are you located? I think the Smores they made on the show were fancy versions of the Smores you make at a campfire. In fact, they used similar words -- "fancy versions". They made Marcela's recipe they said. So, your chocolate tea cakes are probably not the same as Smores. Are your chocolate shells filled with marshmallow usually?

I don't mind the host. I've never really watched him in anything besides a few odd "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" back probably 6-7 years ago. (I know the timing because I had a smart 4th grader at the time, and recommended he apply).

I too would eat anything Francine made, as she uses chocolate in almost every recipe! And I too don't think I'd be as interested to eat Effie's items. At this point, I think Effie is going to win.

06-23-13, 03:05 AM (EST)
12. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
I'm from the UK, where this is "The Great British Bake Off"

Sorry, never been to a campfire, the closest thing would be Fireworks night when oxtail soup and jacket potatoes are much more common! Paul's Chocolate teacakes, which our lot had to make in series 3 look like a slightly tarted up version of the Smores.

It may be a cultural thing, or that I have been spoilt by our presenters, but I just disconnect when the host tries to take part.

I'm not sure that it is the chocolate with Francine, she seems to try something new and different every time, and it always sounds interesting. I think that Effie will probably make the final four, however I think that Elaine will probably win (Not least because she and Paul seem to share a Grandmother!)

06-23-13, 08:03 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
LAST EDITED ON 06-23-13 AT 08:06 PM (EST)

I'll have to see if the UK version is on Netflix.

Well, you are stumping me, Starshine! I consider myself an anglophile, (and have been there twice) yet I'm not familiar with "oxtail soup" nor "jacket potatoes". I'll have to look those up.

Google "wiki smore" and the first link will show you a good picture, in the upper right hand corner, of our (U.S.) traditional S'More. The chocolate is usually just 1/2 of a plain Hershey's chocolate candy bar. Very Yummy!

Edited to add: Okay, looks like "oxtail soup" is our "beef stew" or similar. And "jacket potato" is a "baked potato". That was easy!

06-24-13, 03:13 AM (EST)
15. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
Actually oxtail soup is even simpler than that, it's just a soup made of ... the tail of an ox (or cow as we would now say). Very strong distinctive flavour.

The only problem with oxtail is that one needs to have started cooking it last week for it to be ready for Christmas!

06-23-13, 04:57 AM (EST)
13. "Bread"
Interesting that Marcela hadn't heard of cashew nuts in pesto, I have a nut allergy and have to be very careful because almost all of the pre prepared pestos over here have cashew instead of pine nuts.

Brian, ego much? Never been anywhere near the top and yet is convinced that he is being hard done by?

Kolette, Kolette, Kolette, why choose a bread that you know can't be cooked in time?

Did James watch Paul Hollywood's bread show? He seemed to be the only one who knew about putting water in with the bread to make the crust better.

Bretzel! That's why I miss going to Germany so much I did try one in Disney World, but it was more salt than bread so I didn't eat much. I didn't know that they were so similar to Bagels.

Might have a bash at croissants

Kolette should probably have gone weeks ago

06-24-13, 12:07 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Bread"
Agree! Although I am with Marcela about the cashews. I still love Francine.

06-25-13, 12:57 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Bread"
Bachelorette was in Germany on this week's episode, and they had a pile of PRETZELS on their table for the Group Date! Thought of you!

06-28-13, 02:03 PM (EST)
18. "Desserts"
Isn't that what this week was called? Custards, Souffle, and Meringues.

I wish it had been Brian who left. He simply annoys me at this point. I loved Effie. I'm glad she finished strong. Darlene sure has come out of nowhere, along with the other guy. Boy, was his showstopper an epic fail.

07-01-13, 06:25 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Desserts"
I wish it had been Brian also.
I thought Effie was going to win it, but I guess not!
Too bad that other guy didn't just leave his cake alone and not chop it up! Nothing good can come from that! Yikes!

07-07-13, 01:14 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Desserts"
Prepare yourself, I fear Brian is coming good at just the right time.

I must admit I am enjoying this, it is interesting to see how different countries treat similar foods

Agman2 2707 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-12-16, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Agman2 Click to send private message to Agman2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
Do they make food on this show?

kidflash212 4728 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 12:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: The American Baking Competition"
mostly cupcakes

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •