The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ton of cash."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-04-11, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ton of cash."
VH1 generally likes to turn their reality shows into nightmares. This time, it's a logistical one.

Picture this. You get fourteen contestants, most of whom seem to have been delivered from Central Casting to play whoever the Jersey Shore crew took advantage of this week. You start them off in Los Angeles and give them -- a literal ton of cash. As in 'two thousand pounds of U.S. currency.'

How much money does that equal? No one's saying yet. (Even if it's pennies, it'll outshine a few reality competitions. Singles is a prize worth having.) But it doesn't matter how much you've got to start, just the amount that reaches the finish line. Y'see, this cash has to be transported to Las Vegas. And it will go by foot, by raft, by bicycle, by whatever means the producers can throw at you in a series of timed mini-leg challenges covering that distance. If you move it all within the time limit, you vote one person out and keep the ton intact. If you can't shift the load, it gets lighter: along with your contestant elimination, you get a loss of currency poundage -- and a smaller grand prize at the end. Last person standing gets whatever weight is left. (Keep in mind that they will lose some amount along the way -- the show is pretty much designed for it.)

So. Two thousand pounds of money. A few hundred miles. Fourteen people. And if I know VH1's casting department, three drug problems, two alcoholics, three who will have sex with anything which can't get away in time, and fifteen active brain cells.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/ton_of_cash/series.jhtml

Premieres August 17th. Hosted by Dhani Jones.

They like to move-it move-it.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ton of cash. cahaya 08-04-11 1
   RE: Ton of cash. Estee 08-04-11 2
   Whoops!. cahaya 08-15-11 3
       RE: Whoops!. Estee 08-17-11 4
           RE: Whoops!. cahaya 08-17-11 5
 Premiere. Estee 08-18-11 6
 Learning experience. Estee 09-01-11 7
   RE: Learning experience. Puffy 09-02-11 8
       RE: Learning experience. kidflash212 07-10-16 12
 RE: Ton of cash. Puffy 09-16-11 9
   RE: Ton of cash. Estee 09-16-11 10
 RE: Ton of cash. Puffy 10-27-11 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 19367 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-11, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ton of cash."
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-11 AT 12:41 PM (EST)

Check out the values here.

We may all have a different idea of what constitutes a "ton of money", but according to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, a ton of $1 bills amounts to $908,000 - nearly $1 million!

If you're talking about a ton of coins, then it's a different story - a ton of quarters is worth $40,000, and one ton of pennies (363,000 pennies to be exact) is worth $3,630.

Looking it up: Cent - 2.5 grams. Nickel - 5 grams. Dime - 2.27 grams. Quarter - 5.67 grams. Half Dollar - 11.34 grams. Dollar (SBA) - 8.1 grams

Doing a little math... Dimes are as good as quarters at 2,000 ($200) per pound or $40,000. The best coinage for the weight is the dollar coins, coming to about $112,100.

(eta) Ok, watching the trailer... it's all in shrink-wrapped $1 bills, about a cubic yard of it that fits fairly neatly on a shipping pallet.

14 people? And they choose each round who's not pulling their weight, eliminating them? And only one person wins (what's left of) the prize? It looks like some interpersonal skills as well as a little heft and brains is going to have to go along with that greed.

Wednesdays at 9:00 on VH1. I've marked my calandar, although I rarely even look at RTV on the cable/sat networks.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

08-04-11, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ton of cash."
LAST EDITED ON 08-04-11 AT 12:41 PM (EST)

...I have to visit eighteen different websites to run down one harassing sales phone number, but the approximations on a ton of cash has its own page?

08-15-11, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Whoops!."
LAST EDITED ON 08-15-11 AT 09:21 PM (EST)

They bumped up the premiere to 8/11 without telling us!

First full episode (101) is online here.

I'll watch it after I get home from work and decide then whether to rec(r)ap it and continue with the next episode (still set for 8/17 9:00 PM ET/PT on VH1).

After viewing online...

It's a 36-minute plus "super trailer" that is essentially the whole first episode, minus the very end and perhaps a few takes. The rest of it is there, though. Why they call this Full Episode 101 on the web site is beyond me, but it looks like the real deal (the full episode) is set for 8/17 after all.

There's enough to go on here to determine the complete format and get a sense who the contestants are. Some of the format (especially the graphics part of it) is very nicely done and the camera work is good. The contestants on the other hand are not only financially challenged but challenged in other aspects of their personalities. Between these two things not going for them, some of them (maybe all of them) are not quite the kind of people you'd want inside your friendship circles.

08-17-11, 01:42 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Whoops!."
See original post regarding VH1's casting priorities.

I'm still set to watch the premiere tonight after Famous Food. I just finished surviving Christian's ego over on Masterchef and I'm still dealing with Danielle's assorted psychoses for the 8:00 p.m. hour. While this crew may have enough between them to send things over the edge, they'll have to work at it.

Besides, it's kind of like watching Big Brother. Trying to spot the next jailbird is half the fun.

08-17-11, 03:52 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Whoops!."
I'll be packing this in between BB at 8 and the Love in the Wild finale at 10 tonight. It's a double-header live-blog recap writing night tonight (same tomorrow night with BB and Expedition Impossible), so if I do decide to do a rec(r)ap of this, it'll probably appear on Friday. Based on the super-trailer I saw, there's more than ample snark material to work with.

As far as the jailbirds go, it might turn out to be not only who, but how many! Given this bunch of losers (at least financially), I'll wager more than one.

08-18-11, 01:33 PM (EST)
6. "Premiere."
Ye gawds, these people are some kind of annoying.

Lessons learned from the night (which no one else did):

1. When Dhani essentially says 'We tested this and if you do everything right, you should be able to run it in this much time', it means 'kiss your cash goodbye.' Because no one is going to do everything right. When there's no margin for error, every leg of the course is an exercise in how much money you can lose. Given last night's performance plus the season preview, I fearlessly predict that less than a third of the original total will reach the finish line -- by production design.

2. Upchuck had a point. (Yes, that hurt.) The amount of money they would have lost on penalty time was less than what they would have gotten to the safe point by waiting a few extra minutes. But...

3. ...just once, when someone claims they were misquoted, taken out of context, or had their words lied about, don't you wish anyone in the cast would say "I'm pretty sure there was a camera on you when you said that. Why don't we just review the footage?" *sigh* Well, at least people know what he is now. As if he left much room for doubt.

4. The muscles, they do nothing! (Remember, that point was coming from someone who cost them more than a few thousand all by himself. But at least his rear supported his weight while he was sitting on it for most of the challenge.)

5. Yes, it is a very good idea not to drink when you might have a challenge in the morning. Given that this is a VH1 series, the number of you to figure that out was amazing. (One.)

6. How do you know good girls don't win? Has anyone ever tried? Are you calling Hoopz bad? Good girls generally don't get strangled in their sleep: isn't that a victory in itself?

7. Note that also-rans get nothing. 'Text to decide if last place wins a thousand dollars. One buck per vote.' Nice to see
they're already trying to fund the next season.

8. Good luck finding someone to root for.

9. Seriously. Good luck.

09-01-11, 10:26 AM (EST)
7. "Learning experience."
So far, I've learned that:

1. It is possible to get the challenges done within the time limit: the main obstacles to victory are the personalities involved.

2. The personalities involved are largely stupid, petty, and hateful. They wouldn't have been picked otherwise.

3. Upchuck is the new poster child for Muscles Are Meaningless. But then, everything that comes out of his mouth is meaningless, so it's more of a whole-body problem.

4. VH1 is on a quest to become cheaper than NBC. Terrifyingly, they may succeed.

5. The elimination format is semi-workable, but doesn't mean much with a crew that insists on firing an endless series of warning shots. (However, I do give some credit to Willy for making a pawn scheme work -- barely.)

6. I don't hate them all yet, but 100% is on the approach...

Puffy 6676 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-11, 02:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Learning experience."
Upchuck may never lose an elimination challenge. He does nothing during the tasks. The only one I like is Justin. Loved him spreading sun screen on the girls while the other guys watched.

kidflash212 4661 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

07-10-16, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Learning experience."
Upchuck?

09-16-11, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Puffy Click to send private message to Puffy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Ton of cash."
At this rate, the cast will owe money to production by the end of the series.

09-16-11, 01:29 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Ton of cash."
The Australian version of Big Brother actually used that as a twist. Start with the usual prize, deduct money for violation of show & cage rules, and the host made a point of telling the audience that the hamsters could go negative. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen it here yet: this plus the steady cash bleed of Unanimous is as close as we've come.

But the show is bleeding viewers even faster than cash. They started in the middle 300k range, and the last episode had them on the verge of dipping under 200k -- with the remainder having a time change to deal with. At this rate, the winner of the last dollar will be awarded hir single via YouTube.

On the bright side, it may only cost someone a dollar of texting fees to award the contestant of their choice $1000, given that they'll be the only person voting. So if a former player votes for themselves, that's $999 in clear profit!

Of course, first they'll have to get the original dollar.

$341,000 left. My original prediction is going for an early arrival.

10-27-11, 05:55 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Ton of cash."
Bleached blond who slept with a couple of the guys won...$164,000.

agman spooked me, 2011

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •