Gotta say I'm looking forward to tonight's show. For the newbies, 8 weeks of live country music...not quite Idol style. Confession, I’m not a real country music purist, but I do respect the genre. When I watch Nashville Star, I look for:
1) versions of classics
2) "street" (or road) cred. Otherwise known as believability
Nashville Star is a chance to enjoy good musical ability, not just popularity. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
The finalists are:
1) Casey Rivers, 23 Lindale TX. Likes Carrie Underwood ….a lot. Charming, sings well.
2) Melanie Torres, 29 Albuquerque NM. Judge Anastasia says “be careful of the beauty pageant look”. Umm Huh, yeah.
3) Nicole Jamrose , 33 Schereville IN. Sings “Pickin’ wild flowers” has 2 kids and college ..wants to get hubby a Hummer.Was asked if she knew what the song was really about.
4) Chris Young, 20 years old, 6’4”, chisled (I’m just sayin, ok) Murfreesboro TN. Sang some country song...whatever... Hot!
5) Jared Ashley 29. Hobbs, NM Veteran- Navy. He sings “In A Hick Town” Anastasia said “a little vanilla ( I agree) first and last performance”. Kind of flirty. Flirty is only cute when I do it.
6) Monique LeCompte, 23 Grand Terrace, CA. Calls herself a thick girl. Anastasia says she is too theatrical … Big (of Big and Rich) sings Ave Maria in response. Wynona says she’s "so much more than a scale". That cinches it, girlfriend is sooo gone!!
7) Shy Blakeman, 25, Kilgore TX… Shot in the face during a robbery, sings barefoot, it's a look I guess. Performs “Make you want to dance” Rich says “Good thing you were'nt shot in the balls”.
8) Kristen McNamara 20 Napa Valley CA. Judge Phil Vassar says, "one yodel song a year limit". Anastacia “wrong choice” Big thinks she’s crazy as hell.
9) Matt Mason, 20 Fairland TX. Reminds me a lot of Lyle Lovett. Very rich voice.
10) Jewels Hanson 31, Fremont CA. Seems more rock than country. **Voted out**