The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode #2: the art of the getback."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Flavor of Love / I Love New York Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 55195 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-13-08, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode #2: the art of the getback."
I don't want to spoil anything from the noon airtime, so let's just talk about the elimination format until the evening viewers catch up. At least for the current stage, things work like this:

1. Teams are given a challenge alert that contains no details about the task: just suit up and get ready.

2. Each team must choose a new captain. There must be a new captain for every challenge: the same person cannot be captain for back-to-back events. (A constant pass-off between two people is possible.)

3. Play the challenge as per usual.

4. The losing team must nominate three of their own for possible eviction. (They have fifteen minutes to make a decision -- and if they don't, the other team will decide for them.) The captain of the winning team becomes the 'Paymaster': the only person who will make the decision as to who goes home.

5. All three nominees take a trip out of the house with the Paymaster, giving them some time to plead their case.

6. At the evening ceremony, the Paymaster chooses one to stay -- then one more. Whoever isn't named goes home.

Strategically, this is one of the more interesting formats we've seen in a while. Alliances with majority can protect members short-term, or a divided team can keep its stronger players off the chopping block and hope to dump weak links. But it's in the best interests of the Paymaster to get rid of the best player among the bottom three -- so this is 'eat the strong' with someone else determining what's going to be on the menu today. We also have a bit of BB's eternal revenge element: former captains could become targets -- but they're only vulnerable if their team loses.

There are some definite gameplay quirks available in this format. Here's hoping they keep it for more than one episode.

The next-week previews seem to give away the winning team and at least one of the people on the block -- but previews lie...

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode #2: the art of the get... Snidget 07-13-08 1
 RE: Episode #2: the art of the get... Fishercat 07-13-08 2
   RE: Episode #2: the art of the get... Estee 07-14-08 4
       RE: Episode #2: the art of the get... Fishercat 07-14-08 7
           RE: Episode #2: the art of the get... Estee 07-14-08 8
               RE: Episode #2: the art of the get... Fishercat 07-15-08 9
 Double standards. Estee 07-14-08 3
   RE: Double standards. toddE 07-14-08 5
       RE: Double standards. Estee 07-14-08 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-08, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode #2: the art of the getback."
Stupid VH1, put "Sneak Preview" in the title so the DVR won't pick it up until the "real" time.

That does seem to be an interesting twist on the usual elimination technique. So you not only want to keep your team-mates happy so they don't put you up for nomination, you also don't want to be teeing off the other team too much because they pick who goes, so you can't just hope you have a majority if there is a merge or not have to worry about un-burning bridges until the very end.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

07-13-08, 08:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode #2: the art of the getback."
OK, I am going to, for the sake of discussion, pretend these people are of moderate intelligence.

I think the position of Paymaster is a bit too strong, and thus, will become a huge fight to get position. It should really be something like an automatic nomination for elimination if the captain loses, or full control over the boot if the captain wins. However, that leads to throwing challenges with an unpopular captain (...Boston).

VH1 inadvertently created a pretty cool elimination system that could cause havoc if we get down to 10 people with teams and the system is still there. However, I fully expect that with 11 people left, they're going to bring Flav, New York, and Bret Michaels in and it will become Flavor of Rock York's Money in Hollywood. Oh, and these people are morons.

07-14-08, 05:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Episode #2: the art of the getback."
Oh, and these people are morons.

So much for the sake of discussion.

They're not all that bright in the romance department, and some of them definitely lack strategy and all-purpose insight. (Toldja this show needed Saaphyri.) But there's probably at least one actual player somewhere in this pool: we just haven't had enough exposure to figure out who it is yet. (Because whenever we start going through extended exposure, we immediately head for the doctor.)

We already know the elimination format will have at least one quirk moment, if the previews can be believed: the 'first person to drop is out of the game' challenge. Then again, if the previews can be believed, Gold team wins the next challenge, Frank/Entertainer is the captain, and Megan's on the block...

07-14-08, 04:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Episode #2: the art of the getback."
My discussion mindset ended after a couple paragraphs.

Well, I'm really trying to figure out who the strategist is. I mean, I could see Hoopz being that player, but she's a power player anyway. Many of them just have survival strategy (hurt ankle, eating disorder) rather than tactical strategy. I get the hunch that LeeBoston's strategy will be to literally sit on the strongbox (which isn't that bad if he can stall 15 minutes).

They're not making this a 14 week show (hopefully), so we need to believe the "first person to drop" quip, and if it's a challenge like that, it's sure to benefit a team with strong, light competitors: the gold team. So the Frankentainer being captain with Megan on the block makes sense.

07-14-08, 05:20 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Episode #2: the art of the getback."
The website preview text for Episode #3 ('Heat's A Crowd') says this about the next challenge and aftermath: Both teams have to pair themselves off into couples for a challenge that is not what it appears to be. Tempers erupt when a will-he or won't-he do it moment could destroy one team's chance for victory. Later, shifting romances awaken the green-eyed monster of jealousy, plunging the teams into chaos and putting a certain troublemaker at risk for going home. The Paymaster must decide whether to make the logical choice of sending home a dangerous competitor or give into his emotions and send home his romantic rival. And there's a picture of 12-Pack kissing someone -- one of the blondes.

Applying Survivor skills to the preview for a moment, this does seem to be leaning towards Frank as the captain and giving us an accurate trailer cell. We know he'd like to romance Destiney, so his rival is whoever's most likely to get there first. But that would put Megan in the role of 'dangerous competitor', and it would also mean the Greens had put up something other than a sacrificial lamb (Lee) from their males.

Gee. If only we had image captures and enhancement to check for buffs.

07-15-08, 06:06 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Episode #2: the art of the getback."
LAST EDITED ON 07-18-08 AT 11:08 PM (EST)

Here is what we think we know

A) Frankentainer is Gold captain and his team wins (I'm willing to take this as true)

B) The "Romantic Rival" can only be Heat. We've seen the triangle in previews, we saw Heat-Destiney warming up to each other when she picked him second (where he subsequently got squashed by Frank). I think Heat probably said "I hope you and Destiney are very happy together" at the alone time.

C) We can guess that Megan is thrown into the pot from the previews and is likely to go. We assume Heat is there as well. That would logically suggest that the third person needs to be the big threat competing against Heat...but I wonder who would be thrown in that matches that. The Stallionaires (Whiteboy, Chance, Heat) seem to be in control of votes at this point, and if they got overruled, all three would be in there. LeeBoston is no threat, Megan's in the pot, Brandi C. isn't a threat, and Destiney's safe. This trips me up, since I'm going to assume that Heat, Megan and Brandi/Boston were put in, and none of those are big threats. The only way a Whiteboy/Real/Chance gets put in is if one gets booted for falling off first (say, Chance), and then Real/Whiteboy can't control the vote alone. Then Frankentainer boots Heat so he can keep Destiney to himself.

Now, this is the long shot scenario, but under the same formula, we have one more matchup. It won't be since I am sure Frank wins, but still

A) Heather is Gold Team Captain and her team wins the challenge. Doesn't make much sense since she wasn't even chosen to joust, putting her fifth in line it seems, or never getting into the loop, but let's say she pushes in.

B) The Romantic Rival is Megan. We saw this on the previews from prior episodes to where Megan is trying to steal 12-Pack away. Plus, we see a conflict between Heather and 12P in the previews with Heather showing affection to him in prior episodes. The dangerous competitor is Heat: he's fit, has/had a romantic alliance with Destiney and a "party boys" alliance with 12P, as well as a four-person alliance that got broken up earlier.

C) This allows us to throw any third pawn into the pot (Brandi C. fits, as does Mr. Boston), and we can theorize that Heat gets put in for the second poor performance in a row, or he fell off earlier and got thrown in automatically.

Edited to Add: I'm almost sure the "threat" is now Mr. Boston since I saw him at a table with The Entertainer (IIRC) in a preview. If so...where's the dilemma?

07-14-08, 05:23 AM (EST)
3. "Double standards."
So back in FOL2, the professional dominatrix complained to Flav because she didn't like the presence of someone who'd posed in the nude?

Inspired play by Jennifer on the short term, but she'd better pretend to be a fast healer: her team will be annoyed by someone playing at less than full capacity, and there's always a tiny chance of someone on the other side invoking mercy vote. Brooke, however, may be just totally useless enough to last for a long, long time.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-14-08, 12:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Double standards."
Hey, hey, hey...totally useless? My girl Pumkin? Well, I have to admit it's hilarious that she and Toastee are the college grads of the bunch. But Brooke/Pumkin hasn't really proven herself terrible yet...give her time!

I hope this show continues to be good. I like the format, but it should be dropped hopefully when they're down to like 10 or so. And it does depend on who lasts if the show stays good. It's all about casting. Previews seem to show that at the very least Hoopz (yay) and Whiteboy (ummm...) last for long enough to develop a showmance.

07-14-08, 03:24 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Double standards."
But Brooke/Pumkin hasn't really proven herself terrible yet...give her time!

I did. I called that time 'season #1 of Charm School'.

For Nicole, a showmance is either a total play or a major life decision: the casting special showed a boyfriend at home -- so unless she broke up with him prior to coming on the show, you'd have to hope he has a really flexible idea of 'strategy'.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •