The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Puerto Rico episode"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

KwietOne 1083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

06-04-08, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Puerto Rico episode"
OK...

Was I the only one on my block screaming at the TV tonite? Say it isn't so! Antonia got eliminated! Top it all off, Lisa expects a verbal congratulations for not being eliminated? Richard said it perfectly, "oh, congratulations for winning the bronze medal"? Lisa is such a jerk.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Puerto Rico episode Fishercat 06-05-08 1
   RE: Puerto Rico episode dabo 06-05-08 2
       RE: Puerto Rico episode Fishercat 06-05-08 3
           RE: Puerto Rico episode dabo 06-05-08 4
   RE: Puerto Rico episode txriverwillow 06-05-08 5
       RE: Puerto Rico episode aquariaqueen 06-05-08 8
           RE: Puerto Rico episode txriverwillow 06-05-08 11
   RE: Puerto Rico episode true 06-07-08 18
 RE: Puerto Rico episode jbug 06-05-08 6
 Survey Says" 91% aquariaqueen 06-05-08 7
 Stephanie's great moment txriverwillow 06-05-08 9
   RE: Stephanie's great moment aquariaqueen 06-05-08 10
   RE: Stephanie's great moment Fishercat 06-05-08 12
       RE: Stephanie's great moment txriverwillow 06-05-08 13
 RE: Puerto Rico episode dabo 06-05-08 14
   RE: Puerto Rico episode jbug 06-06-08 15
   RE: Puerto Rico episode cipher5150 06-06-08 16
       RE: Puerto Rico episode weltek 06-06-08 17
       RE: Puerto Rico episode TxMom2011 06-07-08 19
       RE: Puerto Rico episode dabo 06-08-08 20
           RE: Puerto Rico episode momof4inVA 06-10-08 21
               RE: Puerto Rico episode aquariaqueen 06-10-08 22
 RE: Puerto Rico episode cipher5150 06-10-08 23
   RE: Puerto Rico episode aquariaqueen 06-11-08 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-05-08, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-08 AT 04:07 AM (EST)

OK, time to be the only person on Earth not related to or dating Lisa who supports her.

First, I absolutely see where Lisa is coming from on the congratulations view point and I think Richard's analogy is rather off.

Last week, the Big Three knew they were through based on the order called in and were very happy for one another. Perfectly understandable. They were congratulating and celebrating with Antonia, who got the "bronze medal" in the challenge. Now, Antonia's eliminated, they don't even congratulate with Lisa? I understand (and she does) that they don't like her much and they don't have that camarederie. We saw the early confessional where one of them said that everyone knew they'd be final three. The simple fact is that this is the goal every chef there from Nimma to Steph wanted to get to: the finale. The final challenge. Not "not be last", but to win. A congratulations wasn't a really odd request for the situation. To ask for it, well, that's Lisa. She has a pessimistic, snarky, and often unlikeable personality. But it's not like she asked for a hug and dance party.

As for Richard's analogy, it's a crappy one for a few reasons. First of all, to be blunt, it doesn't matter if he wins the challenge or not. Top Chef is judged from dish to dish. If it wasn't, Antonia would still be here, possibly Dale over Spike/Lisa. These are, to continue the Olympic theme, Olympic qualifying time trials. They race to see which people qualify for the Olympic teams. Consider each challenge to be a qualifier race to whittle down the hopefuls. The final challenge, it could be said, IS the medal race. This was simply the last qualifying race. Secondly, as I said before, being the silver/bronze medal winner hasn't prevented a congratulations before. Team celebrations anyone? Hugs and Handpounds for massive group wins or duo victories? Considering the type of competition Top Chef is and has to be (individual, not cumulative), being second to last is the same as being first, you know, without the car. Of course, it tends to be that the best chef over the season wins the season...but that's usually because the best chef does best in the final challenge.

I know Lisa's not part of the cool kid crowd, but I didn't think that congratulating her on making Final 3 was exactly an absurd thought.

As for the show itself, I think the judges made the right decision even though Lisa being sent home would have been fine. Final 4 is no point to undercook peas, and if she had nothing else to throw her over the top, sending her home may not have been a bad decision. When the level is this high, cooking mistakes simply can't be made unless a really horrible concept (ala Butterscotch Scallops) comes out...and it didn't.

One more point, I have ragged on the Top Chef judges horribly in the past...but I think they are being extremely fair this year and making the tough decisions that need to be made. They've really stepped up their game and I appreciate the honesty. It would have been so much easier to keep Antonia or Dale around on their elimination weeks instead of Lisa, but if they felt that their dishes were the worst (and considering Anthony Bourdain's complete contempt for the butterscotch scallops as seen in the blog, it may have been broccolini level), they had no problem sending the more popular ones home.

ETA: I'm reading elsewhere the word "demand" flying about in terms of Lisa's last statement. I didn't see it that way and that's where my defense was coming from: that it was a note being made rather than a demand. I would not support asking for congratulations.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-05-08, 00:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
But Lisa spent the time between judges tables convincing herself and the others she was the one being eliminated, it was really just petty to hold it over Stephanie and Richard's heads while they were still stunned that Antonia was eliminated.

06-05-08, 00:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
It wasn't a huge jump for Lisa to believe she was going home unless she knows completely that past performance means little. Let's face it, four straight negative Judges Tables, seven straight if you count Wedding Wars (I don't, she made a damn good cake). Last win or good JT was for the Miso Bacon way back in Episode 5. Antonia was on a streak where she had a win, three positive JT's, and a neutral performance. She knew she was #4 coming in and she saw the JT as her execution chamber. The surprise on her face when Antonia was gone was proof of that.

I just don't see it as out of line in thinking that your two competitors would congratulate you on a really big achievement. It's pretty clear from Richard's confessional that it wasn't the shock of Antonia's boot, rather his dislike of Lisa, which led to the lack of acknowledgment.

We really have no idea how long those three had been sitting there before Lisa said that, and there's no way we can truly fairly judge. But unless it was only a minute or two after Antonia left, I don't think she was holding it over their heads, I saw it as more of a...disappointment, if anything.

06-05-08, 01:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
Agree, except for the time/editing assumption. My point, while Lisa had time to digest that she'd not been eliminated, Stephanie and Richard really hadn't (as far as we know) and still were in that transitional phase. Another moment or two they might have congratulated Lisa on their own. We'll never know. She had gotten a congratulation at judges table for making it to final three, that was in her head not theirs, they weren't there for that.

txriverwillow 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-05-08, 08:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txriverwillow Click to send private message to txriverwillow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
But her complaining about not getting the congrats grated on my nerves. The better thing would have been not say a word to them and for her to leave it to a confessional. Like Richard said, Lisa is nothing but a black cloud all the time. Sure it would have been best for them to have said it (I do wonder how long she gave them before slapping them with the whine because the editing made it look like she expected before Antonia had gone down the hall).

Honestly with her track record, she shouldn't be surprised they were shellshocked, goodness knows the audience is (laughed at the 91% who believes she should be the one to go home).

I don't like her but she really looked like she tried during the break to pull her attitude in check a great deal, even at the judges' table she didn't look like she was going to blow a gasket if someone said something to her.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

06-05-08, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"

>I don't like her but she
>really looked like she tried
>during the break to pull
>her attitude in check a
>great deal, even at the
>judges' table she didn't look
>like she was going to
>blow a gasket if someone
>said something to her.

I noticed the same thing....I give her props for keeping her attitude in check.

06-05-08, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail txriverwillow Click to send private message to txriverwillow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
So I wonder if future contestants on TC will all be practice their JT stance to make sure they never have a Lisatude.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-08, 09:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
To ask for it, well, that's Lisa. She has a pessimistic, snarky, and often unlikeable personality.

And that's putting it nicely. Lisa is a miserable person who is constantly harping on the negative and crying not fair. She's abrasive and difficult to work with. If she cares so much about a polite verbal congratulations, maybe she should take some time to be a civilized human being herself. Lisa is always making lame excuses for her failures and whining about how others are to blame. She's a perfect example of a mediocre comptitor who had made it through by not having that "fatal flaw" mistke. She's clearly not the best based on her constant trips to the bottom group at judge's table. If she wants people to like her, she might try being likable.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

06-05-08, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
no, you weren't the only one. I was really dissappointed.

When they get to this point in the competition, I wish the judges would look back at ALL of their challenges. Lisa has been in the bottom many times. She squeeks by Antonia this one time - and wham! She's in; Antonia's out. From the judges comments tho, it seemed there was more wrong with Lisa's food than Antonia's - so why send Antonia packing?

Lisa's attitude has svcked all season. Good thing she's not trying out for Next Food Network Star!

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the bug's kitchen!
Agman? It's getting hot in here!!!!

06-05-08, 09:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Survey Says" 91%"
Come on, when people are stunned that their "friend" got ousted,
They are more consumed with their feelings before congratulating someone who grates on their nerves.

91%, guess she isn't fan favorite....I've never seen such a drastic number.

06-05-08, 11:26 AM (EST)
9. "Stephanie's great moment"
I'm sure the JT know what has happened behind the scenes but I wish something more could have been made about Stephanie's great recovery. First of all, if Dale had been the chef and anybody had been the sous chef to make that mistake, their head would have been rammed through a wall. But Stephanie took it with grace and calm, finally coming up with a dish that actually got rave reviews, maybe better than her first choice. She really showed her poise.

Can you imagine if Dale had done that to Lisa? OMG the sabotage comments would never have ceased.

I also thought it was interesting that she gave her competition the best matching on the sous chef she could to have peace in the kitchen. If Spike had that advantage, he would have paired disasters together any way he could and everyone (including himself) would have suffered.

06-05-08, 01:47 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Stephanie's great moment"
I did like that she paired them rather well.

She did compose herself well considering the amount of pressure on all of them this late in the competition.

If she would have cooked that pork to well done, it would have been safe, but kudos for keeping a somewhat level head and coming up with something different and evidently quite tasty.

That's a sign of a Top Chef in my book.

And I loved your "sabotage" remark if it happened to Lisa...you are so right!!!!

“I love Jesus but I drink a little”. Gladys Hardy

06-05-08, 02:25 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Stephanie's great moment"
LAST EDITED ON 06-05-08 AT 02:29 PM (EST)

There's no way Stephanie could have known this, but at the very least, switching Andrew and Spike probably would have made more sense. Andrew was obviously still upset about Lisa throwing him under the bus and while Spike worked on the Worst. Team. Evar. with Lisa, he wasn't in the kitchen. (ETA: And Andrew was on at least one winning team (like, top team, the animal challenge) with Richard, while Spike said this was his first time working with him).

A small quibble, but she wasn't at either JT, so she couldn't know about the Andrew-Lisa tension unless one of them said so.

06-05-08, 03:20 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Stephanie's great moment"
But I think she knew that Spike and Richard were very close, so I think (if she did know of the Andrew/Lisa tension) the decision was probably to give Richard someone he trusted more than to worry about if Lisa needed peace. And I doubt she was worried about Lisa too much as she is closer to both Richard and Antonia.

They have all worked and lived in close quarters and she may have known that Andrew would be classy and not set Lisa up to fail.

06-05-08, 11:37 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
I read Tom's blog earlier and it made me sad. He spent almost all of his time this week defending the show, defending the judging, and so on. He said almost nothing about the episode itself. It is sad that he felt compelled to do that, and I missed his normal insights into the episode itself.

Points of interest, condensing it all down, he and the other judges really spend very little time with the competitors, they don't know how the episodes will be edited, they have no idea which competitors will be faves and which will be villains. And it would be impossible in the judging to take cumulative performance into account, particularly for the guest judges who don't have that cumulative experience. Fair enough.

In respect to Antonia's undercooked pidgeon peas, he notes that by choosing to serve all the dishes on one plate those wretched beans brought down all her servings, nothing on her plate really stood out. As well, long lines for seconds formed at Staphanie's table, at Richard's table; even Lisa's table had a smaller seconds line; Antonia's table had no secondtakers.

Having tried and failed to salvage bad beans, I understand. If they don't soak long enough or in enough water there's almost no way to salvage bad beans. Not in the limited time of that challenge anyway. She should have thrown them out.

Spoiler follows in hidden text, highlight to read:

Tom refers to Lisa as the sort of chef who manages to skate through Top Chef by managing to perform well at times but mainly by not making major mistakes when other better chefs do make major mistakes.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-08, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
thanks for reminding me Dabo. I haven't read Tom's blog in a few weeks! & it really does put the whole thing in a different light.

But I still don't like Lisa.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the bug's kitchen!
Agman? It's getting hot in here!!!!

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-06-08, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
Not to nitpick but I still have a bit of a problem with Tom’s statement that Antonia’s table didn’t have people lining up for seconds, well actually, two problems. First, how can you distinguish between who is getting their first helping rather than a second helping? Maybe more people started at Antonia’s table so later in the evening many of them were still just getting to Richard and Stephanie’s tables and it gave the appearance of them being more popular (even though I'm sure they were - I mean, you can't go wrong with ribs or satay at an outdoor reception!). But my major problem with it is that I would expect that, since they all had three dishes, that you would get one item and come back two more times for the others…except Antonia put them all on one plate so people only had to come to her table once to try all three dishes. So logically, she only had a third as many visits to her table as the others.

He said that the lack of people visiting Antonia’s table (for seconds) had a direct impact on who they decided to send home but I think that that on its own could be flawed logic. I've ceratinly been to many receptions were people congregated in one area, after making the rounds, and simply ate from the closet buffet. I hope that there was some other guest information that was utilized like comment cards or even just a query of favorite dish/chef. Or I hope it was painfully obvious that none of the quests were interested in seconds of Antonia's dishes.

On another note, has anyone had tostones? I thought plaintains were sweet but these appeared to be savory dishes - or is it that the unripe plaintains are used for savory and the ripe are for sweet dishes? Sounds yummy!

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-08, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
I've never had tostones, but have had a fair amount of plantain dishes. Very ripe plantains are more sugary than others. The unripe, or barely ripe, plantain is perfect for savory dishes, as it takes on the flavor of whatever you put with it nicely. Kind of like a potato.

-A Shamrocktastic SharTribe Creation!

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-08, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
I thought Tom said that he knew right away from tasting and that one look at the lines just confirmed what he thought.

I think it is a shame that Antonio had to leave. She was one of the most consistent of the chefs. Lisa on the other hand is obnoxious and obviously just an average chef. The judges were right to choose Lisa over Antonio for this challenge, but messed up during Restaurant Wars when they sent Dale home.

It should have been Dale in the final 4. If he had won over Antonio people would probably have been less disappointed. I know I would much rather see him in the final three than Lisa the grouch.

06-08-08, 05:55 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
I kind of have to wonder, as well, how bad those beans really could have been. Oh, when will they get around to inventing taste-o-television? She should have known by sampling if the beans needed to cook longer or be thrown out, it's beans not rocket surgery. Or pidgeon peas rather.

momof4inVA 120 desperate attention whore postings

06-10-08, 00:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail momof4inVA Click to send private message to momof4inVA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
I hate to say it but Lisa may win. I don't like her much but I didn't like the last two picks either. Antonia may get fan favorite. We all think we know who's best but we can't taste the food. I really don't like Lisa so I'm hoping for stephanie or the guy(can't remember his name) but Lisa is as rough as the previous chefs that won.

06-10-08, 09:21 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
Richard is the name that escaped you.

I swear, if Lisa wins....I'm through, done, finished with Top Chef.

cipher5150 166 desperate attention whore postings

06-10-08, 04:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cipher5150 Click to send private message to cipher5150 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
I stumbled across some short finalist interviews at Parade.com. Nothing spoilerish – just a few interesting tidbits on the final five. Actually, I thought Ted Allen’s interview was interesting…and that Spike still thinks it wasn’t his fault for using sub-standard scallops – it was the show’s fault for having them there. Also, Richard’s wife just had a baby about two weeks ago.

http://www.parade.com/features/top-chef/index.html

06-11-08, 10:17 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Puerto Rico episode"
Hmmm....had to check out Lisa's comments to see if the word "sabotage" was in it.

Also interesting about the pork and her being Jewish.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •