The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

KwietOne 1083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-10-08, 00:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KwietOne Click to send private message to KwietOne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
Zoi got robbed. Spike should have been sent home, or better yet, the salmon dude. Would you rather have scales in your mouth or under seasoning?

Dale: Yep, you're bitter and jealous that Lisa thought up the bacon with miso and impressed Ming Tsai. Oh, and Dale? Um, you need to chill.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) txriverwillow 04-10-08 1
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) aquariaqueen 04-10-08 2
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) Scuba Steve 04-10-08 3
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) TxMom2011 04-10-08 4
   RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) JoshInSGV 04-11-08 8
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) Asrai 04-10-08 5
   RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) geg6 04-10-08 6
   RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) dabo 04-11-08 7
       RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) JoshInSGV 04-11-08 9
           RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) ginger 04-11-08 10
           RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) dabo 04-14-08 13
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) Fishercat 04-11-08 11
 RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08) anotherkim 04-12-08 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

txriverwillow 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-10-08, 09:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail txriverwillow Click to send private message to txriverwillow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
I couldn't believe Zoi was let go. I really thought she would make it much further. I agree, I think the salmon scales should have sent someone home. That is just so disgusting!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-10-08, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
Just overall, this season is bland....

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it" - Albert Einstein

Scuba Steve 1644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

04-10-08, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuba%20Steve Click to send private message to Scuba%20Steve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
I disagree. Zoi was the right choice. If a chef doesn't season their food well, they deserve to go home. Spike at least tried to steer them in another direction but was shot down by both of his teammates.

TxMom2011 188 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-10-08, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TxMom2011 Click to send private message to TxMom2011 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
I think Zoi was the correct person to go home. She made bad dishes two elimination challenges in a row. Spike told her it needed more flavor and she said no... it was fine. Then she gets in front of the judges and talks about her "bold flavors" ?!?! Plus she really turned me off with that "if thats what they want" comment. I am glad to see her go. BTW I rewound and Antonio DID say "if you want soup I will make a killer soup" It was ZOI who said... no no lets go with the (whatever that beef dish was)

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-11-08, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
If you follow that rationale then Spike should have gone home too. He was on the bottom for the second week. I really feel that the producers are keeping Spike around because of the drama he creates. He has done nothing impressive, why keep him around? I can understand the judges sparing Richard because he has been very strong in previous challenges. But, that's just not the case with Spike.

Ultimatelly, I don't really care if Zoi went home because I thought she was obnoxious, whinny, and kinda useless. God, I hate like 75% of these people! Go Stephanie! She's the only one I'm rooting for now, and the season just started.

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-10-08, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
In some ways, I think Zoi was robbed, in other ways, I think it was the right decision. *shrug* She should have seasoned better, and listened to the others about it.

Spike is just an arse. I don't get the attraction, the pull he has, and I certainly don't think he should be there any longer. His balls must be tiny. At least twice in a row, he has let someone else talk him out of doing what he really wanted to do. Just how many times do we have to see him in the bottom due to his unwillingness to stand up for what he thinks is a better idea?

I'm also starting to dislike Richard. He's so cocky, and while I know a chef is usually cocky, he just goes to the irritating side instead of the impressive side. Scales on my fish would've been a loud cry for an outing. That was certainly NOT top chef worthy.

I'm bored by Mark. He's a cutie, but so far....blah. Come on, step it up, Mark!

I was happy for Lisa last night, but I can't watch her mouth. It totally turns me off (and turns my stomach) to see her close ups! Blucky!

Jen? Last night she was fierce! Loved the stance, the chair kick, the temper. She's a firecracker in the kitchen, and probably anywhere else, too. Love the girl!!

Antonia is still in the middle for me. I absolutely do not hate her, but she's not a fave.

Loving Stephanie! Great name and is one classy chick. So down to earth, very likable. Nikki is always someone I forget. I dunno why, though.

Andrew, Dale and Ryan? Don't really care for. Andrew might be good for TV, but he's a prick! Dale? The fact that he thinks he has this in the bag is too much for me. It's one thing knowing you're hotstuff, but he just rubs me the wrong way. Ryan? No real feeling one way or the other. I don't hate him, but I also don't like him. We'll see.

Zoi was good to go, but would've rather Spike or Richard go. Spike is a nutless wonder, while Richard is a better chef (IMO). However, scales on the fish? Not cool...EVER! He should know that. Boo to him, but I know he'll bounce back and bring us more great food.

Summer Siggies by Sharnina

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

04-10-08, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
In some ways, I think Zoi was robbed, in other ways, I think it was the right decision. *shrug* She should have seasoned better, and listened to the others about it.

IMHO, any chef or cook who can't manage seasoning has no business in the kitchen. It's the most important thing for a dish because it can make or break the dish and it is just so basic and simple a thing. And the fact that she didn't get that soup will almost automatically be a winner if it is done well is also a major problem. Really good soup is a really difficult thing. And to have an expert Asian chef as guest judge and, out of hand, dismiss the idea of soup shows how little she understands Asian cooking.

Spike is just an arse. I don't get the attraction, the pull he has, and I certainly don't think he should be there any longer.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I must admit that my attraction to him is based on the fact that he looks exactly like the young butcher I was dating for several months after being dumped by XDBF. Spike is thinner and taller, but, gawd, he looks like Ken. Bow chicka bow wow!

I'm also starting to dislike Richard. He's so cocky, and while I know a chef is usually cocky, he just goes to the irritating side instead of the impressive side. Scales on my fish would've been a loud cry for an outing.

Yes, yes, and yes! Scales! In a sous vide yet!!!!!

I'm bored by Mark. He's a cutie, but so far....blah. Come on, step it up, Mark!

Ack! So blah that I'm having trouble remembering who he is!

I was happy for Lisa last night, but I can't watch her mouth. It totally turns me off (and turns my stomach) to see her close ups! Blucky!

Personally, I simply cannot fathom why she won or why they were so impressed with her "new" method of cooking bacon. That method of hers was almost identical to how my grandmother used to cook large quantities of bacon. That they cited the cooking method as the reason for her to win leads me to believe they don't know any old British women who made scores of bacon butties for family teas like my Grandma Gray.

Jen? Last night she was fierce! Loved the stance, the chair kick, the temper. She's a firecracker in the kitchen, and probably anywhere else, too. Love the girl!!

LOL! And I decided on the exact same basis that I hated her! That she is unprofessional, spoiled, and a bully. And I had liked her right up until that moment. Too funny!

Antonia is still in the middle for me. I absolutely do not hate her, but she's not a fave.

Another one I can't stand, but I've not liked her from the start. She seems awfully full of herself and I can't quite understand why.

Loving Stephanie! Great name and is one classy chick. So down to earth, very likable.

Yay! One we can agree on! Both the name and how likeable she is. *smooch*

Nikki is always someone I forget. I dunno why, though.

Nikki? There's a Nikki? *shrug*

Andrew, Dale and Ryan? Don't really care for. Andrew might be good for TV, but he's a prick! Dale? The fact that he thinks he has this in the bag is too much for me. It's one thing knowing you're hotstuff, but he just rubs me the wrong way. Ryan? No real feeling one way or the other. I don't hate him, but I also don't like him. We'll see.

Right now, the talent pool this season is so thin that Andrew is currently my favorite. I just like his attitude, not nearly as arrogant as Richard and pretty damn funny in his comments. And I have a feeling he really knows how to cook. Dale seems to think he's entitled to be just as cocky and obnoxious as he-who-must-not-be-named-from-last-season-but-who-deservedly-won, but with no real talent to back it up. And Ryan? Oh, my. Cute as a button, but completely clueless. Completely clueless in every way.

"Not this time." Barack Obama 3-18-08

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-08, 02:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
The way things were going, Zoi didn't stand a chance of winning anyway. Scales were an unpardonable sin, though, and I am tired of Richard's tricks and gizmos, sooner or later Padma will say:

Chef From U.N.C.L.E., pack your knives and go.

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-11-08, 01:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
I hated Richard at first because of the whole molecular gastronomy (did I say that correctly?) thing that he does. It just reminded me a lot of that little troll Marcel, whom I despise with the intensity of a 1,000 suns! But, lately Richard has been growing on me. Yes, he's arrogant...but I don't find his personality to be as grating as Dale, Spike or Andrew's. With that said, I do think that Richard needs to go before the finale.

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings

04-11-08, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
I think Spike's an arsehole but I wasn't unhappy at seeing Zoi go either. Her whole "if THAT's what they want then I guess real cooks like me won't make it" attitude was a denial of the very real criticism she kept getting - first pasta salad, then mushrooms, not seasoned and bland. It isn't like she got booted for not being trendy enough but that seems to be how she is spinning it to herself. Anyway, I found her tiresome.

Her lover looks like Mickey Rooney when she gets pissed.

Actually, my favorites and my choice for the Final 2, were I Goddess of Bravo, would be Stephanie and Richard. When you think about it, they represent two sides of the culinary coin; the scientific experimentation, and the methodology of keeping things very simple and classic and ungimmicky.

Molecular gastronomy is not going anywhere. It is a pity Marcel seems to be the Top Chef personification of it. If you like Alton Brown's show, you are into molecular gastronomy.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

04-14-08, 01:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
LAST EDITED ON 04-14-08 AT 02:04 AM (EST)

I neither like nor dislike Richard, he's alternately amusing and meh. I think he relies too heavily on his tricks and gizmos and has nothing to fall back on when they fail him.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-11-08, 11:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-08 AT 00:04 AM (EST)

FC's show opinions

A) I felt the right person went home, and to be perfectly honest, it didn't seem like a hard decision. Really, five people had a shot of going home. I think Richard's track record protected him from doing anything outside of poisoning the judges for a single round. Andrew's done well and he had a solid round (his caviar wasn't bad, for instance). That leaves Mark, Zoi, and Spike. Mark's not going home since his team wasn't the worse, even though he did nothing in the challenge.

As the debate here goes, it was Spike v. Zoi. One's problem was not forcing Squash Soup down Antonia's throat (if he did it and he failed, he'd be Howie 2.0 in the view of the judges and the fans) and, perhaps, a sub par carpaccio. I don't remember a significant number of complaints from the judges about what Spike did, more about what Spike failed to push (well, he did, Antonia was very steadfast in not wanting to do it. Sure, he could have pulled out the ultimatum hammer, that's the only way it was getting there though. According to, I believe, Gail's blog, Antonia said in a private interview that she wasn't going to do the soup).

Chef Tom said the reason and I agree with it: the mushrooms were the glue for that dish and Zoi failed miserably on them. It's sort of like a suspension bridge. It really doesn't matter how strong the bridge material is if the cables are going to snap. Additionally, she was questioned by her own teammates about the flavor of the mushrooms and Spike had to back off on those as well. It's not throwing someone under the bus if you warn them not to walk right in front of it.

Both of them have had ##### poor histories in the show, so history doesn't come into play. It basically comes to the point, and this has been one of the few constants in Top Chef's time, a dish's winner or loser will be decided by who contributed the most to the failure or success of the dish (doesn't apply to massive group multi-dishers). There may have been potholes in Spike's concrete...but drivers won't care about those when that suspension wire crashes.

Zoi going home was consistent with almost every TC rule. Weak past performance, repetition of old mistakes (seasoning), inability to admit failure, and being the biggest part of the failure of a dish. They sent the right person

B. Ginger's got the same F2 I do. Really, Stephanie has been at the top in almost every single elimination challenge...so who really cares about the QF? And Richard's got the innovation going for him, even if he has some clunkers.

C. Dale and Jen need to STFU. First off, Dale needs to quit the whining about the bacon. Sure, Lisa's negative, but tough potatoes. The chef liked her bacon (BACON?!?!?!) more than the other two portions. Live with it. And Big Bird Jen wouldn't be nearly as heated if it weren't for her personal relationship with Zoi. That's fine, but don't play it like it was objective. Spike nailed that. Spike had every right to "throw her under the bus" (shut up Dale again) and I don't blame him for doing it. Just because Lisa and Spike seem to understand the reality of the situation isn't any reason to get upset.

D. Spike's in serious danger next week and he needs a great dish to get out of his doghouse. As is Antonia. Both of them are running on two weeks of being called in for bad dishes. Jen needs to watch out, because she's in a distinct position of not being called in once on either a good or a bad dish. Manuel got booted last week in the same situation and no criticism is never good. As a fourth, Ryan is in trouble for two lows and three middling performances. Only three chefs have not been called in for something negative, and that's Dale, Lisa, and Jen. Whether that's good or bad is unknown, but still.

E. What do the stats actually mean? Well, if you look at last season, not much. For instance, Howie NEVER had a week (where someone was eliminated) where he was simply left out of the Judges' Table. An interesting trend is that a contestant last year was a lot more vulnerable after a good performance rather than a bad. In fact, until Sara M. in Week 13, no contestant who had been in the bad section the previous week went home. In contrast, over the season, five the victims had good performances in the previous week, and two more actually won the prior challenge. By Week 5 last season, no contestant had been spared a bad performance.

If you go back to Season 2, there's a definite trend there. After the 4th elimination (Josie), every contestant had at least two strikes before being booted, and often only a few weeks prior to their elimination. In Season 1, it was even more straightforward, where every contestant from Episode 4 on (except for Dave) had a bad performance the week before, often two.

Gathering from this, it's pretty much impossible to know what's going to happen. Not a lot of recent discernable trends. The one big one has dissolved.

F. The judges haven't been nearly as grating so far, but they have PLENTY of time for their douchebag surprise of the season (last year, it was not letting Howie quit, THEN eliminating him. What's this year?).

Edit Note: I highly suggest (well, every week, but this one is very good) reading the judges' blogs on bravotv.com for each shoe. They make a lot of the decisions seem logical and I wish that every show with judging had this. It's even more important on TC where we don't actually take in the result.

This week, Gail and LeeAnne especially give a great recap as to why everything went down as it did with the judging and the behind-the-scenes stuff

anotherkim 14419 desperate attention whore postings

04-12-08, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Season 4 / Episode 5 (4/9/08)"
LAST EDITED ON 04-12-08 AT 01:27 PM (EST)

I still can't remember all the names, so I'm going to hit the high and low points and ignore the others.

Stephanie--love you (in a non-threatening, totally reality-tv fan, not stalker way). You should win. The rest should just pack up and go home. I can't see anyone else touching you at this point. You're not only a good leader, you're a good team player and that is something that this season is severely lacking. You aren't pretentious and you aren't petulant. You're just....(looking for a p-word compliment other than perky and precious)...pretty phantastic.

Richard--You are cocky and hopefully this brought you down several notches. The thought of eating mushy fish makes me gag...the scales add another ick factor; however, your dish wasn't the worst, so you weren't up for elimination. Realistically, your team didn't even have to be called back to panel, but they were for the sake of the drama. I give you a pass because of this. And, unlike godforsaken bratbastard Marcel, I think you genuinely try to learn from your mistakes and are using the techniques from a love of food and culinary arts, NOT just to wow the judges with foam. I expected to hate you because of your insipidly unhip and blatantly ridiculous hairstyle (seriously--are you nine? What is UP with that dumbass fauxhawk? My third grader wants a similar style this summer...seeing yours will hopefully convince him how poor a choice that would be), but amazingly enough, despite the hair failure you have grown on me in a not altogether obnoxious way (which is saying a LOT because hair is pretty much a killer for me seeing as I'm shallow and vapid like that).

Zoi--I have not liked you from day one and thought you should go last night (am not a Spike fan either, ftr). You had a job--mushrooms. You talked about how you season with a heavy hand and yet again, your food is bland and blah. You have never struck me as really having the ooopmh to be a Top Chef, either. It seems as if you are always on the verge of tears or whining about something. I question whether you would have been chosen at all had you and Whatshername not been a couple. Good riddance.

Whatshername--You know what, you already have a HUGE advantage in having your partner in the game. Why not be just a smidge more professional and try to remain objective? Or at least not pipe up like a middle-schooler. That was embarassing in the name of women, people in committed relationships and adults the world over. And? Your hair reminds me of the chicken hawk in Foghorn Leghorn...that is not a good thing. Go home soon, please (I imagine you will be gone soon since youand Zzzzzoi are supposed to be blogging on Bravo--your blog link isn't up anymore, but it was at the beginning of the season).

Spike--grow a set, dude. You walked all over one of the most passive guys in the contest last week and this week you let two chefs plow right over you? Have a vision and stand behind it no matter what--not just when you can outmuscle a weak player. I see you going home soon.

Hung2--you think you're great, but dude, chill. They ooohed and ahhhed over the miso bacon. Guest Judge Man said it MADE the dish...exactly how can you question his choice of Annoying Mean Faced Girl to be the winner? You? Need to grow up and act your age. Potty-mouthed ranting is only impressive on my blog.

Annoying Mean Faced Girl--I'm glad to see you have at least one fan here. Everyone deserves to have someone other than a family member who is cheering for you and I seriously can't imagine that there are more than seven of them across the country (sorry asrai/arkie/other random poster whose name begins with an A...hell, my memory is shot. Who likes her?). How convenient of you to act all badarse when you've been nothing but a whiner all along. I'm glad you get to go to Italy because you will not win. Not a chance. This is your consolation prize.

Mark---I still like you even if your puree was bad. You are cute and I like the accent.

Antonia--You are proof that the ability to taste spicey and intersting things does not actually MAKE one spicey and interesting. You bore me. And your hair bugs me, too.

Where was Ted? I need Ted or Rocco each week--they entertain me with their commentary and critiques. Gail is okay, but I really think they need five judges (or ditch the celebrity judges).

I love the blogs--echoing FC (thank God, I remembered a name!). If you don't read the blogs, you really should. They give insight and clarity to the choices that are made. I look forward to reading them each week--especially Rocco's. His is very informative (haven't read this week's. I try to save them for weekend reading). Padma does a video blog which I could not care less about watching. Ted's is my least favorite ONLY because he pimps his own website and that irks me to no end.

Kimmah Says
--now to go home and watch Survivor tonight so I can be caught up on my shows for the week.

edited for random mistakes

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •