The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Season 4, Episode 3"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

ginger 22511 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-28-08, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Season 4, Episode 3"
LAST EDITED ON 03-28-08 AT 03:27 PM (EST)

To paraphrase 10,000 posters on various sites I read, is this Top Chef, or Top Caterer? Because it is getting a little tiresome to have them make food that has to be crated or boxed or reheated or relocated, the end result of which is that someone's food starts out good and ends up soggy. Soggy like a soggy corndog.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I thought Angry SF Chef Guy was funny; I knew he was toast when he said Guest Judge could kiss his ____ in an on-air confessional.

I also am tired of seeing "street food made pricey" or however they refer to it -- "upscale" I guess is Padma's favorite way of putting it. Either make a great taco or a great weird fancy piece of Mexican cuisine.

Maybe I just don't like whathisface, the guest judge.

I really wanted them to bounce the guy who said they'd have to call in security. I think a medication adjustment is in order there.

Still, it's an intriging season and about a million times better than ANTM has been lately.

Final 4 picks so far include sweet, unassuming Stephanie, winner of two big challenges (and always looks so shocked when she is picked), Atlanta guy, and the lesbian couple. What do you guys think?

I want to eat about 14 of those sliders. And how can you fvck up macaroni and cheese THAT badly????

And one of these days I will actually figure out some of the names of the contestants.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Season 4, Episode 3 Fishercat 03-29-08 1
   RE: Season 4, Episode 3 geg6 03-31-08 11
       RE: Season 4, Episode 3 Fishercat 03-31-08 12
           RE: Season 4, Episode 3 ginger 04-03-08 13
 RE: Season 4, Episode 3 frodis 03-30-08 2
   RE: Season 4, Episode 3 Tenorsaxy 03-30-08 3
       RE: Season 4, Episode 3 Sues 03-30-08 4
           RE: Season 4, Episode 3 ginger 04-03-08 14
   RE: Season 4, Episode 3 jbug 03-31-08 6
 RE: Season 4, Episode 3 dabo 03-31-08 5
 RE: Season 4, Episode 3 jbug 03-31-08 7
   RE: Season 4, Episode 3 jbug 03-31-08 8
       RE: Season 4, Episode 3 dajaki 04-04-08 15
   RE: Season 4, Episode 3 frodis 03-31-08 9
       RE: Season 4, Episode 3 Snidget 03-31-08 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-29-08, 08:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
A. I agree on "Top Caterer". It's getting annoying. Most Executive/Restaurant Chefs don't have to deal with transporting food for several hours. It's one thing to have a limited ingredient base or limited funds or themes (as real restaurants do), but too much catering isn't really applicable to a real TC type of show.

B. I liked the SF Chef, and although he was weak on three consecutive challenges (a perfectly viable reason to boot), I don't think his corn dog was the worst dish, or at least the most justified. I personally think that poor overall execution should overrule poor execution on a single portion. For all intents and purposes, the corn dog was a good dish that ruined from sitting. The Waldorf Salad was ruined by too much chicken, and the pasta salad was just bad (although for her to be sent home on that would be worse).

C. They are getting repetitive on the "make an upscale _______". Especially when the winner doesn't even fit the dictionary definition of a taco. Seriously, a tortilla with a filling like meat or cheese. The guest judge was a bit of a jerk it seems.

D. OK, far be it from me to question the judges, but if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

The Red team was convinced to a man that they won. Some showed it more than others, but they were very sure of it. We've seen sure contestants be wrong...but this many? If they all tasted the dishes and all thought they won...what are the odds that they are that biased.

Additionally, this was a block party for 110~ people (40 adults/70 kids). Beyond the interviews, how come they weren't asked for opinions. Clearly, at least on non-food stuff, they liked the red team a lot better. The Red Team was the life of the party. If both groups were that bad, something like that can make food taste a lot better.

And the lack of specific dish criticisms, what? Seriously, we heard on the Corn Dog, Waldorf, Pasta Salad, Paella, and the winning dish on what was good/bad. There were 14 dishes, what about those?

For all I know, the Blue Team kicked #####...but it's extremely odd that the Red and Blue teams thought the Red was likely to win, and they lost "easily" (in the words of Chef Tom).

E. As for my F4, I agree on Atlanta guy and Stephanie. Anyone who wins two challenges in the first three is a favorite and Atlanta has been solid. I don't know about the rest, and I think a woman wins this season (they've just been better through three weeks).

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
"A. I agree on "Top Caterer". It's getting annoying. Most Executive/Restaurant Chefs don't have to deal with transporting food for several hours. It's one thing to have a limited ingredient base or limited funds or themes (as real restaurants do), but too much catering isn't really applicable to a real TC type of show."

Well, even though you and I often agree on many things, I have to disagree in very rigorous terms with you on this. I don't know how many fine dining establishments you've worked in, but they actually do quite a bit catering on a regular basis, transporting food in hotboxes, just as you see in this episode, all the time.

My sister has been in the fine dining industry for 30 years. She has managed fine dining restaurants, yacht clubs, and country clubs all up and down the East Coast. She and her chefs have catered weddings, funerals, anniversaries, baptisms, bar and bat mitzvahs, graduations, food expos, and...well, you get the picture. The idea that restaurant chefs won't have to do this type of thing is ludicrous. It's a part of the business. In fact, caterers get less of this business than restaurants do.

So these kinds of challenges are quite relevant. And, if you can't manage them, you shouldn't try to be a top chef.

"Not this time." Barack Obama 3-18-08

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
That's fair enough, and I don't mind, say, a catering challenge in a season. But with it being such a constant trend, and considering that the winner is most likely to be an owner-chef, it seems unlikely to me that catering will be a huge portion of what they need to do. Of course, if it is, that's fine, and they'll have plenty of time, ingredients, money, and direction to plan a meal that handles the rigors of movement and time.

04-03-08, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
One or two a season. The rest of the time, it gets repetitive. I'd rather see them making simple omelettes.

The chefs in San Francisco tend to have catering heads that oversee the sous chefs doing catering while the actual Head Top Chef Person is in the kitchen inventing, overseeing, etc.

"If you believe that the right of a fetus to be born is more important than any right the woman carrying the child might have, but do not believe in making sure that every child has access to adequate health care, education, or any of the other basic needs an individual requires to become a functioning, capable, productive member of society, then you are NOT pro-life. You’re just pro-birth." -- Devious Weasel

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings

03-30-08, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
LAST EDITED ON 03-30-08 AT 11:41 AM (EST)

Here's a recap - I fully intended to do another episode recap this week but I didn't catch the show on Wednesday night and then didn't get to watch it until late Saturday. I'm glad you started up a thread for the episode, Ginger!

Rick Bayless of the Frontera Grill is the guest judge this episode. His specialty is Mexican cuisine, and he's got a few taco huts in the Chicago area. He also has a PBS cooking show, not sure if it gets much air outside of Chicagoland.

If a princess were to smooch a ferret and turn him into a human, he would look like Rick Bayless. He'd probably sound like Rick Bayless, too.

Quickfire: The chefs have to create an upscale taco. I set the over/under for the number of fish tacos at 6, and I guess I lost, because they didn't show one single fish taco. I'm so disappointed in these chefs - someone should have been able to whip up a ceviche taco of some sort.

Some of the chefs confuse the instructions to make a fine dining taco and make street tacos. Rick bites into Lisa's steak taco and not even his little needley ferret teeth can saw through the skirt steak. Erik tosses a bunch of crap on a plate and Rick calls it a mess. Ryan puts a piece of paper on his plate and it bothers Rick - he'd rather have it shredded up and lining his cage. Richard shaves some jicama and makes a taco using the jicama as the shell, and he even makes one for himself so that he can eat along with the judges. (I found that odd.) Richard wins immunity! His jicama taco is also going to be on the menu at Rick's high-end restaurant.

For the elimination challenge, the chefs split themselves into teams. They hop into cars and drive through a bunch of neighborhoods. Dale is attempting to play tourguide but it becomes clear that he has no idea where they are going. They pull into a some nondescript northside neighborhood, and are tasked with preparing their block party. First step - PANTRY RAID!

They run around knocking on doors, loading up their bags with items from people's pantries. There's a fair amount of product placement here:

Jennifer says, "Hey, do you mind if I take this *display product, facing camera* Spicy Ranch Dressing?"

*pause, pause, pimp, and go.*

Hey, look, some *face label toward camera* Prego Spaghetti Sauce!

I love *pimp* KC Masterpiece!

The Red Team decides to pander to the poor bohunks of the neighborhood, whose palates can't really handle more than hot dogs and beer. The Blue Team decides to blow the bohunks palates away with such crazy stuff as paella and macaroni and cheese.

Nikki introduces us to the wonderment of Velveeta. Feel sorry for Nikki. She has to turn Velveeta into some kind of cheese sauce. Oh, the horror. It's as if she were asked to spin her hair into gold. Hey, Nikki? Cube the Velveeta. Put it in the nuker. Press Start. Pour it on the noodles. Magic Cheese Sauce!! Here's a free tip for you - pour some salsa in with that Velveeta and make Spicy Mac and Cheese and the neighborhood bohunks will elect you their leader.

Erik fries corn dogs. Erik didn't learn from the soggy flabby blinis of the last episode. Poor Erik. Ryan clearly does not know how to think on his feet - when Chef Tom tells him that mayonnaise is what holds a Waldorf Salad together, he freezes with his mouth open and needs to be rebooted. Jennifer steps in and tells us that the creamy element in their Waldorf salad is the apples.

Jennifer seems to have a perpetual cold.

On to the party! Nikki's mac and cheese is a noodlebrick. She scrambles to add cream and butter and salt and to me, it's sounding really quite gross. The block people clap and Erik's corn dogs suffer from performance anxiety. Maybe they need some of the Blue team's sexy drink!

Andrew serves up sliders full of awesomeness. *Kraft Extra Spicy Awesomeness, now in convenient 12-pack!* Padma's S'More on a Steeeeeek falls on Ted Allen's shoe. He quips that she's going to get the bill for that, and while his face is smiling, his eyes are full of brimstone. What the camera doesn't show is that immediately after that moment, Ted is whisked away, scrubbed down a la Silkwood and re-released into the block people after successfully removing every trace of marshmallow from his person. We're safe, for another day.

The Red Team galavants with the block people, bouncing in the jumpy thing, dunking in the dunkey thing, and schooling a bunch of 8 year old boys in a game of pick-up basketball. The Blue Team is standing around sweating.

The Blue Team is called in to take the march to the Judges table to the boomp boomp boomp tchhhh music. Chikka chikka. Boooomp.

The judges slam the Blue Team's dishes. Rick accuses Nikki of not knowing how to use the Velveeta (Nikki, read the box.) Richard's paella is not actually paella. He asks if it tasted good, and Tom says sure, but it wasn't crispy. With flat somber faces, they declare the Blue Team the winners. They begin to whoop, but the judges are quick to smack them down and tell them that they really just sucked less than the red team. Stephanie is declared the winner of the challenge for her fruity dessert, and she seems surprised. They march back to the holding pen, send the Red Team to their doom, and then begin to celebrate.

The judges, after just having told the Blue Team that they won by an extremely narrow margin, let the Red Team know that they've lost by a wide margin. Um.

The Red Team is incensed to find out that they lost. They continue to argue with the judges that they should not have lost. The judges make it seem like they were a complete disaster. Erik defends his corn dogs as, um, well, the best he could do. Good defense, Erik. Zoi's pasta salad is called out as oily, gross, icky, poo poo blah yuck barf. Andrew lets us know that he's not going home, he's going to have to be dragged out in handcuffs by security guards. Apparently Andrew is used to leaving parties in this manner.

Deliberation, deliberation, and much to the surprise of absolutely no one, Erik and his flaccid corny weiners are asked to leave. Back to the backyard grill with ye, Erik. May life be crispier wherever you go.

Winter wonderland a la Arkie!

Edited to remove the word "quick" before recap since it became anything but.

Tenorsaxy 947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-30-08, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tenorsaxy Click to send private message to Tenorsaxy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
Hilarious, Frodis!!

Spring by Syren. Check out my new blog!

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-30-08, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
I'm surprised Andrew hasn't burnt or chopped something off with his hyper/nervous-energy/a.d.d/possible cocaine/crack/meth addiction

04-03-08, 05:01 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
flaccid corny wieners
flaccid corny wieners

*still giggling*

flaccid corny wieners

Hearts Frodis.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
You really should start with a note that this might be best read at home - I'm glad no one came into the office and caught me laughing!

Final 4 with Agman

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
Yeah, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how he figured out how to transport his corndogs, that was the biggest letdown. As one of the judges noted, it's a nobrainer, if the food has to be transported don't make something you can't transport. There were 100 other things they could have done with hot dogs, and who knows maybe a hot dog pasta salad would have saved their butts.

It was also very disappointing to hear so many of them refer to "street food." That's a putdown attitude, and really when it comes to Mexican chow much of what they'd put down as "street food" are really fiesta treats. Upscale street food, of course you poopoo the idea; upscale fiesta treats, that's a concept you can run with.

I actually loved the block party challenge, it's early enough in the series that a challenge to see if they'll dumb down and teach them not to is a great play. Now let's see them really up the ante, I'll be very disappointed if we get a repeat of last season's trend of airline chow challenges.

03-31-08, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
LAST EDITED ON 03-31-08 AT 09:11 AM (EST)

blinis? plinis?

paella? baella?

~~~~~ off to check a cooking site - I admit to being a culinary doofis - what is blinis and paella?~~~~~~

Final 4 with Agman

03-31-08, 09:07 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
Traditional paella has a crispy, caramelized, toasted bottom (called socarrat in Valencian) that is considered a delicacy. To achieve a socarrat, one either needs to time the evaporation of the water properly with the completion of the rice being cooked or turn up the heat to high and listen to the bottom of the rice toast. Once the aroma of toasted rice comes from the pan, but before the rice burns, the heat is removed once again. The paella is ready to be served after having cooled for several minutes.

How many are we serving today?

dajaki 1453 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-04-08, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
I think it's somewhat funny how Chef Tom is soooo concerned with the dictionary definition of dishes. Paella must be crispy on top and bottom, Coq au vin must be made with an old rooster, etc. I've had paella in Spain and I don't remember crispy rice. I've cooked Coq au vin (and looked it up in several decent cookbooks) and roosters have never been a part of the recipes. Note to future Top Cheffers - never assume you're making the dish you think you're making unless you clear the name of the dish you think you're making with Chef Tom who knows exactly how to make the dish you think you're making and what to call the dish you're really making (i.e. pilaf and braised chicken in above examples).

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 09:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
Basically, A blini is a little poofy pancake.

Traditionally they're made with yeast, so they tend to puff up. They're small, and often served with cream and caviar to keep them really authentically Russian but it seems that any savory pancake has come to be called a blini.

Paella is a rice dish that contains a jumble of different ingredients like chicken, sausage, veggies, and seafood (mussels, clams, shrimp, etc.) You can goof around with the stuff that's in paella, but in order for it to really be paella it has to have rice and saffron, and it should be cooked in a paella pan so that the bottom rice gets crispy. (You can do it in a cast iron skillet, too.)

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

03-31-08, 10:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Season 4, Episode 3"
Oddly, I don't remember the crispy from the paella the family I stayed with in Spain made. (I do from some rice dishes an Iranian friend of mine makes so I know that can really make a dish)

Even without that it was one of the best things I ever ate. They did it every Friday with whatever seafood looked good at the market that day.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •