The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Now We're Cooking!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-02-07, 01:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Now We're Cooking!"
Here Be Spoilers.

Episode 6 Top Chef 3, they finally got this series back on track!

The Quickfire Challenge was a real contest this time; unfortunately no interesting recipes were created, but neither were there any bad ones, in fact no recipes whatsoever.

You know, the neat things to try at home are one of my favorite things about this cooking show, so if I say they got things on track while ditching recipes for one challenge hey you have to believe me!

Then they got started on the Elimination Challenge, and let's call it what it is, TV DINNERS! Yes, TV Dinners, because after all the name of the show is Top Chef not Top Meals On Wheels.

But no, no one invented Frozen Baddabing Betty, it would have had to have been Frozen Italian/TexMeditranian Baddabing Betty for this challenge. Thank goodness they didn't set out yet again to wreck some common American chow.

Actually, joking aside, I really liked this episode, I'm not just saying that because they're handing out Italian vacations.

The inventions all seemed worth looking into. Some would need fixing up, of course, but even those have potential.

The best part, really, was who ended up in front of the judges table trying to save their own skins, the Three Stooges (Howie, Joey and Hung) and one of the Saras! The scramble to throw one another under the bus was classic, uproryously funny.

I was kind of disappointed Joey got axed instead of Hung, but then Joey started crying and it was just too damn much.

SMILES ARE FREE

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Now We're Cooking! flipxcyd 08-02-07 1
   RE: Now We're Cooking! kidflash212 08-02-07 6
       RE: Problems with Rocco NewFan 08-06-07 8
           RE: Problems with Rocco Fishercat 08-06-07 9
 RE: Now We're Cooking! geg6 08-02-07 2
 RE: Now We're Cooking! arkiegrl 08-02-07 3
 RE: Now We're Cooking! jbug 08-02-07 4
   RE: Now We're Cooking! arkiegrl 08-02-07 5
   RE: Now We're Cooking! dabo 08-03-07 7
       RE: Now We're Cooking! MarleyCat 08-07-07 10
           RE: Now We're Cooking! dabo 08-07-07 11
               RE: Now We're Cooking! MarleyCat 08-07-07 12
 Party All Night! dabo 08-09-07 13
   RE: Party All Night! arkiegrl 08-09-07 14
   RE: Party All Night! jbug 08-09-07 15
   RE: Party All Night! SilverStar 08-09-07 16
   RE: Party All Night! Fishercat 08-09-07 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

flipxcyd 1053 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-02-07, 02:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail flipxcyd Click to send private message to flipxcyd Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
Ah man...I agree. I was very surprised Joey was "chefiminated". I suppose I gotta deal with Hung's cocky attitude for another week. But then Joey started to cry, and I was like, shoot. =sniff= I was willing to bet my left nut Sara was gone...oh well...you can't have everything.

Did you notice the bit of disagreement between Rocco and that bald-headed guy? lol I suppose it had to do with what defined Mediterranean and Italian? LOL!

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

kidflash212 3854 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-02-07, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
Just an aside regarding Rocco - Does anyone feel as if he is a poor choice for guest judge? Having watched him run his own restaurant on his own reality show, I'm not so sure I respect his opinion on food.

NewFan 139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-06-07, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NewFan Click to send private message to NewFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Problems with Rocco"
I was wondering what was up with the attitude of the chefs when Rocco came in. All of the chefs seemed to be less than impressed. Normally they are all nodding and smiling when they introduce the guest judge, but it was obvious the chefs were not happy to see him there. Didn't one of the chefs even refer to him as an a$$wipe or something in a side interview?

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-06-07, 03:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Problems with Rocco"
A lot of chefs don't like how Rocco started to run towards the spotlight as soon as he could, shilling for poor or inferior products in an attempt to become famous, at least that's the impression I get. The reality show didn't help. I know guest blogger Anthony Bourdain really doesn't like him.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

08-02-07, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
I'm shocked that they didn't get rid of Sara. I have yet to see her do a thing interesting or even very good. I honestly don't think Joey deserved to go. He's done some good stuff in the past and he is aware of his weaknesses (bullheadedness being one of them, apparently). Why would you keep Sara, who's done nothing of merit so far?

The very first time I ever ate truffles was at my first boyfriend's house. His parents were born and raised in Sicily and we were having a home-cooked family recipe meal. I have no idea what Tom was talking about with that criticism. I'd put Sicilian cuisine in the category of Meditteranean.

"Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man. I conceive likewise a horrid idea in receiving mercy from a being, who at the last day shall be shrieking to the rocks and mountains to cover him, and fleeing with terror from the orphan, the widow, and the slain of America." Thomas Paine

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

08-02-07, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
Howie may be an excellent chef, but seeing him with sweat dripping off his face does not make me want to try his food. Can't he take a second and wipe his face with a towel?

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

08-02-07, 09:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
I agree about Joey; I'd rather they have sent Hung packing. I just care for his attitude. And Joey has had some good weeks. Wondering if when making their decision they are looking at all thier performances or just that one.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

08-02-07, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
LAST EDITED ON 08-02-07 AT 11:33 AM (EST)

According to the Watch It Happen semi-reunion show they aired last week, the judges have to look at just that week's performance, and are not to look at the chefs' overall performance.

Summertime siggy by Sharnina

08-03-07, 02:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
Of the four I thought Joey was the one who most deserved to stay. The team of Howie and Sara was a perfect storm, you couldn't find two people less suited to work together. Joey and Hung had a slightly better marriage, mainly they just couldn't compensate for each other's flaws.

I guess Hung did a brilliant job of throwing Joey under the bus, probably because Joey didn't defend himself very well or go on the offensive as he should have. But I thought Hung pretty much destroyed himself when he turned on Joey. Bottom line, if as he claimed Hung knew exactly what they should do he should have gotten it done, he really had no excuse.

SMILES ARE FREE

MarleyCat 59 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-07-07, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MarleyCat Click to send private message to MarleyCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
At first I was suprised at the choice of Joey over Sara, but then when I thought about the judges saying that both dishes were equally bad, I figured they must have used success at selling their food as the tie-breaker. Sara and Howie sold three and Joey and Hung sold ZERO! Actually I think the food was free so they couldn't even give one away. I think that left the judges with the choice between Joey and Hung. Between those two I think they made the right choice.

08-07-07, 06:10 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
Yeah, they couldn't give it away. But part of the challenge was to make 15 separate frozen boxes of the stuff, Hung kept yammering he knew the ingredients should be individually packaged but he obviously did not communicate that to Joey who was working towards the 15 separate boxes.

Anyway, what's done is done, I can only hope Hung is living on borrowed time now.

MarleyCat 59 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-07-07, 06:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MarleyCat Click to send private message to MarleyCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Now We're Cooking!"
On re-watching this episode a few times(yes, I love top chef that much)I felt that Hung was "yammering" but Joey just totally ignored him. I'm not sure if Joey just thought he knew ITALIAN, but it seemed like Hung just finally gave up when it became obvious that Joey just wouldn't listen. You can' communicate to a brick wall.

That said, Hung is my least favorite person, so I'm more than ready for him to go.

08-09-07, 02:42 AM (EST)
13. "Party All Night!"
Sponsorship intruded on the game yet again in episode 7, at least this time the frozen dishes were meant to be frozen dishes.

For all you potential future Top Chef contestants tonight's episode contained a subtle lesson in what not to do: Don't step on the sponsor-du-jour's gameplan. For example, when the quickfire sponsor is the ice cream vendor, don't volunteer to make the yucky milkshakes in the elimination challenge, you might as well just beam down in a red shirt.

The party wagons provided the theme for tonight's unfortunate elimination as well. Hey, if it is partytime, party on. Dumb but true. The losing team just couldn't or wouldn't shake their groove thing.

Anyhow, Howie dodged another bullet, YoungerSara paid the price of looking modelsexy.

It wasn't a terribly creative week but, hey, bacon is the ultimate secret weapon, nice to know.

08-09-07, 08:12 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Party All Night!"
I just couldn't believe Hung thought cauliflower would be a good mix-in for the ice cream. I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to Cold Stone, when I choose my mix-in, I'm thinking taste, not texture.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-07, 09:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Party All Night!"
Is anyone else as ready for Howie to go as I am?
I really wanted Hung to go last week, but this week, I tired of Howie. Maybe they're keeping him around just for the conflict? Do they think that makes the show more interesting?

Butch bobble by Tribe

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

08-09-07, 10:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Party All Night!"
How stupid are these people? Did they really think they were going to get to go clubbing? Obviously they did. Morons.

I think Howie should have been the one to go. Neither he nor Sara did well as a team member, so the tie breaker should have been their food. A couple of the judges liked Sara's hamburgers. No one liked Howie's cuban sammich. Send Howie home!

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-09-07, 12:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Party All Night!"
In the end, I think the judges got it right. Basically, Howie simply cannot work in a team setting without defined roles (and the role is: he tells them what to do), and Sara did everything wrong. CJ tried to keep the team together and Casey had a good dish, so they're excused, even if I doubt any of them could screw up Quesadillas.

I think it basically comes down to the fact that Howie, even with his complete inability to work with others on this show, is a good chef. He has good ideas usually, he knows when to stray and when to stay traditional (for instance, he didn't put cauliflower in his ice cream and he almost won that challenge), and to be honest, when he suggests something to his team, he's usually right. Look at the past couple episodes. It wasn't him who messed up on the pasta challenge. And as for tonight, not only did he have the better menu (I believe that's what Chef said before the tasting), but he was right on the milkshake that eventually got Sara booted (ice in a milkshake?).

Howie's rude, and I don't see any way he makes it to the end. He's a perfect candidate to boot at, say, the last big group challenge. Hell, maybe even next week in restaurant wars. But Sara did nothing right last night, and even if the twist was a kick in the proverbial balls, you have to step up and cook. If she bombed doing burgers and shakes...how can we expect more? She hasn't shown us that she can. I believe Howie has two wins and a quickfire or two as well. Sara has, I want to say, one best appearance.

And can Bravo cast women? At all? It's hard to believe that 6 of the 8 best chefs they could find are men, and the two women are probably on the weaker end of the field. I think Casey has a shot to go pretty far, but Sara M.'s done nothing either.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •