The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Marcel attacked by fan"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

fedcamper 142 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

01-27-07, 04:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fedcamper Click to send private message to fedcamper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Marcel attacked by fan"
I just read an interview with Marcel where he stated that a girl came up to him in a nightclub, asked if he was Marcel from Top Chef, and clocked him with a bottle. He had to get 30 stitches. Totally out of line, but you have to wonder if it was a beer bottle: if he got foam on his wound, there's a certain poetic justice!
  Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Marcel attacked by fan tac_2 01-27-07 1
   RE: Marcel attacked by fan Snidget 01-27-07 2
 RE: Marcel attacked by fan pinksparkleguitar 01-27-07 3
 RE: Marcel attacked by fan EMTBGRL 01-27-07 4
   RE: Marcel attacked by fan Snidget 01-27-07 5
   RE: Marcel attacked by fan KObrien_fan 01-27-07 6
       RE: Marcel attacked by fan Sues 01-29-07 7
   RE: Marcel attacked by fan JoshInSGV 01-30-07 10
       RE: Marcel attacked by fan EMTBGRL 01-31-07 11
           RE: Marcel attacked by fan JoshInSGV 02-05-07 13
       RE: Marcel attacked by fan KObrien_fan 01-31-07 12
           RE: Marcel attacked by fan JoshInSGV 02-05-07 14
 RE: Marcel attacked by fan chubby k 01-30-07 8
   RE: Marcel attacked by fan tac_2 01-30-07 9
       RE: Marcel attacked by fan Palm Tree 02-06-07 15
           RE: Marcel attacked by fan dabo 02-06-07 16
 RE: Marcel attacked by fan Vixxxen 05-29-07 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-27-07, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
Could have been worse, I suppose. Marcel could have been permanently blinded instead now he only has a scar to live with.

Next time the producers decide to villianize a castmember, maybe they'll think twice huh?

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-27-07, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
LAST EDITED ON 01-27-07 AT 12:47 PM (EST)

I don't think they really care about how this effects people's lives.

The peeps running the shows care about ratings and money. When the cast has someone one we love to hate that makes good TV. If everyone was always likable and there were no conflicts (you can only edit so much in) I doubt people would tune in.

ETA link to story and interview http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2007/01/18/feature2.html

pinksparkleguitar 1222 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-27-07, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pinksparkleguitar Click to send private message to pinksparkleguitar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
Ridiculous!

Tribe rocked me!

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-27-07, 06:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
There's no excuse to assault someone. Period.

Has Marcel been my favorite chef? No. Do I think that Marcel lacks some maturity? Yes. However, I went back and re-watched some of the earlier episodes of the season. I think there were cheftestants that had much worse attitudes than Marcel. There was definitely a pack mentality against Marcel. Did he make mistakes, and say stupid things to others? Yes. Most of the time Marcel was provoked, though. I didn't really see that before, until I went looking for it.

The other thing? Marcel was ALSO the cheftestant that LATER tried to make up for his behavior, and was unequivacably dismissed by others.

For example:
Marcel: "don't go! Don't go!"
Betty: "Don't snap at me!"
Marcel: "I'm sorry, Betty."
Betty: "Like I believe you." (eye roll)

(Marcel was in the middle of helping her serve her dish. Why shouldn't she believe him?)

After reviewing past episodes? I agree that there is nothing that indicated that Marcel deserved the hate and vitriol of the other cheftestants. As for his immaturity? I think there were times that Marcel displayed MORE maturity than the others. He didn't slam other people's dishes (Ilan) was able to apologize to others (Betty) checked burners to make sure he wasn't harming someone else's dish (Elia) and apologized to her when she was upset (Elia) During the upscale diner challenge, Marcel was enthusiastic about other people's ideas, and was even smiling. He's done a lot of work! The way that Marcel spoke to the chefs displayed more maturity (At times) than other cheftestants. "Can we talk about the food?" came from the person that was attacked! (Marcel)

I am surprised by this, but I think I believe that Marcel is more TopChef material than Ilan. I don't believe that Marcel would have thrown someone under the bus as Ilan did to Elia in the last episode, either. Elia told Marcel many episodes ago, "Other people pick on you, and I am the one that sticks up for you." (remember that?) and Marcel said, "Thank you" and I believe he meant it. At the end? Elia showed her true colors and her own immaturity by wanting to toss Marcel under the bus, along with the others. Where's the loyalty to her friend? Gone. That's definitely not "TopChef" material, no matter WHAT their food tasted like.

So, although, on the surface Marcel seems to be the most immature? I think he's just defending himself and trying to get through the competition. Out of Ilan and Marcel? I think Marcel, from the beginning, has shown more composure and grace than Ilan.

(I can't believe I'm saying that!)

Do I wish I could taste their food? Oh, yeah. But, after reviewing the past episodes? I think Marcel was treated badly, adn I am now rooting for him. Would I want to work for him? Not now. But, I think he could learn how to behave himself in a kitchen, because he has a better base for being genuine than I believe exists in Ilan. I also think he is more passionate about the food. And in the words of Tom Colicchio, "It is a cooking competition, after all."

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-07, 07:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
There is always the problem of editing (what we don't see, how they storytell).

So he could be more obnoxious than shown. However they usually like to show that.

I always got the feeling that Marcel has an attitude I tend to have fairly regularly which to me is "I'm not going to go out of my way and waste my time trying to figure out how to get you like me."

Sometimes it doesn't come off that way.

I'd do better on a show like Top Chef where you are judged on what you produce. The more social games like Survivor or Big Brother I'd probably be voted out early because I didn't kiss near enough butt often enough to satisfy the other people's egos.

That whole outsider who gets picked on thing is pretty familiar ground for me. Sad to see it happen in adult settings; I expect it in middle school. I also expect most people to grow out of it between 12 and 20.

On the other hand, group identity is something many of us seem to need at least some of the time, and a mob mentality can easily take over. Especially when people are closed off like they are on reality TV.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

01-27-07, 08:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
The thing is and Marcel said this himself in episode 1, this is a show about cooking, not about how well you get along with the other chefs, in the end you aren't going to be working with them anyway. If he was working with these people in his job and they were his co-workers and not his competiton, then I believe we would all see a different Marcel. I like him, have from the beginning. True I liked Sam more, but he is gone. Ilan disgusts me. His food has been good, but lately he has been the one with the worst attitude.

Sues 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-29-07, 10:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sues Click to send private message to Sues Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
peeps are craaaazzzzyyyyy....

JoshInSGV 737 desperate attention whore postings

01-30-07, 11:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
I disagree. Marcel has been particularly nasty when it's not even warranted for. When Marcel's team won the Xmas challenge, Sam was pointed out as the leader by Ilan and Betty. What did Marcel do? He immediatelly barked that he didn't need a lot of supervision to get his work done. That comment was malicious and completelly unnecesary. That's the type of behavior that I think has earned Marcel so much dislike on this show.

EMTBGRL 2513 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-31-07, 07:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail EMTBGRL Click to send private message to EMTBGRL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
>That comment was malicious and
>completelly unnecesary. That's the type
>of behavior that I think
>has earned Marcel so much
>dislike on this show.

What about Ilan's commentary to Marcel during the Seven Deadly Sins challenge about Marcel being a virgin, or not having sex (forgot exact comment) Marcel stood up, looked at Ilan, and asked, "What's your problem?" (I was wondering the same thing) Ilan ADMITTED that he didn't normally speak like that to people. So, why lower himself by doing it to Marcel? Marcel didn't warrant the comments made by Ilan to him during that episode, nor did he deserve to have his dish slammed either to his face, or to the gathered judges and guests. I see that as MUCH worse than Marcel being a little whiny about not winning a challenge.

02-05-07, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JoshInSGV Click to send private message to JoshInSGV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"

>What about Ilan's commentary to Marcel
>during the Seven Deadly Sins
>challenge about Marcel being a
>virgin, or not having sex
>(forgot exact comment) Marcel stood
>up, looked at Ilan, and
>asked, "What's your problem?" (I
>was wondering the same thing)
>Ilan ADMITTED that he didn't
>normally speak like that to
>people. So, why lower himself
>by doing it to Marcel?

I never said that Ilan's comments were nice. His comments during the Seven Deadly Sins challenge were uncalled for. In fact, I think that Ilan was so focused on Marcel during that challenge that he was not able to perform as well as he had in the past.

>Marcel didn't warrant the comments
>made by Ilan to him
>during that episode, nor did
>he deserve to have his
>dish slammed either to his
>face, or to the gathered
>judges and guests. I see
>that as MUCH worse than
>Marcel being a little whiny
>about not winning a challenge.

But, that's my whole point. Marcel DID NOT lose the challenge. His team had won thanks to Sam's leadership. Sam deserved the recognition, but Marcel try to sabotage that because he's too damn selfish to think about anyone else but himself.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

01-31-07, 08:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
I disagree. Marcel has been particularly nasty when it's not even warranted for. When Marcel's team won the Xmas challenge, Sam was pointed out as the leader by Ilan and Betty. What did Marcel do? He immediatelly barked that he didn't need a lot of supervision to get his work done. That comment was malicious and completelly unnecesary. That's the type of behavior that I think has earned Marcel so much dislike on this show.

He was not malicious. In a competiton where you need to stick up for yourself, he was only trying to point out to the judges that he thought he was worthy of the prize they were going to be giving out. He felt that while Sam may have been the designated leader of the team, that he himself would like to be considered for the prize.

If people really took the time to rewatch all the episodes, you will see that yes Marcel is arrogant, but he was pegged early on by Betty and some of the others and they haven't let up on him. He isn't interested in being particularly nice to them because it is a competition. I bet IRL he is fun to work with.

This finale is similar to last year in that Marcel is similar to Tiffani and nobody wants to work with him. Ilan is no Harold though, so yes I do wish that Sam was still in there.

02-05-07, 07:43 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
Betty and Ilan had both expressed that it was Sam's leadership that brought the team together to perform as well as they did. Marcel's comment was malicious and selfish because he tried to take away from Sam's merit. There was no need to do that because they were the winners. Within the context of that challenge, Sam was his teammate, not his opponent. If Betty and Ilan were able to recognize Sam's leadership skills, why can't Marcel do the same?

While it is true that Top Chef is a competition, there is also a social aspect to the game that is also important. By alienating everyone throughout the competition, Marcel was not able to trust or motivate his team during the final challenge. That was a big blunder on his part. All you have to do is compare the dynamics between Marcel's team and Ilan's team. In Ilan's team, Elia and Betty seem to be genuinelly committed to help Ilan win. On the other hand, it was clear that Mike didn't give a rat's a$$ if Marcel won or lost. Mike's attitude wasn't just a reflection of his lack of professionalism, but it was also a byproduct of Marcel's negative attitude throughout most of the season.

chubby k 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-30-07, 06:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail chubby%20k Click to send private message to chubby%20k Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
Good thing he isn't Hannibal Lechter, he would have whipped her up into one of his famous foams and served it on a plate with his chemical induced entrees!

tac_2 351 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-30-07, 06:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tac_2 Click to send private message to tac_2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
Personally, I hope Marcel ends up making tons of money and lasting fame from that scar he'll have to live with forever.

Top Chef,Season Two, was a failure on so many levels it's not even worth another season but, of course, thanks now to Marcel, BRAVO will end up the big winner in ratings and future seasons.
Nevermind the lack of skills. Forget the food! Just give me some good ol' VIOLENCE, and baby I'm there!

Marcel for President!
;)

Palm Tree 49 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-06-07, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Palm%20Tree Click to send private message to Palm%20Tree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
Back to the subject, IMHO, Why "fans" have to take "justice" (or lack of it, whatever) in their own hands!!! Doing what that "fan" did was plain MEAN, BAD, malicious!!! Gee, talk about "tv" influence on people!

Ilan did what he did best, Spanish food...however Sam did try different approaches to is dishes, therefore being more creative, AND he had his colleges respect! So i will say Sam IMHO should had stayed and won this!!!

So again, just because someone is not "liked" for whatever reasons, and he is not a deliquent or anything like it...what was done to Marcel is not funny nor he deserve it, and if people go around doing that on future "reality tv contestants" they don't like.... this is turning Uglier by the minute!!!

Call 911 or the police folks, some people are craking up from "Reality TV" viewing!!!

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-07, 04:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
That's the icing on the craking.

Vixxxen 107 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-29-07, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Vixxxen Click to send private message to Vixxxen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Marcel attacked by fan"
>I just read an interview with
>Marcel where he stated that
>a girl came up to
>him in a nightclub, asked
>if he was Marcel from
>Top Chef, and clocked him
>with a bottle. He had
>to get 30 stitches. Totally
>out of line, but you
>have to wonder if it
>was a beer bottle: if
>he got foam on his
>wound, there's a certain poetic
>justice!

How is that justice? Noone deserves that.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •