The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-17-09, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Spoilers in here so stay out till after you watch - if you don't want to know anything.....

Tim Love is guest judge. So you know we're gonna go Texas/cowboy something or other.
Viewers were given a chance to vote on what special item the chefs would use in a quick fire (I missed this vote apparently ). Choices were snake, cactus or kangaroo. Cactus won.

Only one chef - Mike (not the brother Mike, the other Mike) knew anything about cactus. Apparently it's really slimey. Anyway 'not the brother' Mike won the quickfire $15,000.

Then they went out into the dessert to cook for Tim and 24 of his cowboy/cowgirl friends. They could cook anything they wanted but would not know till they got there what kind of 'kitchen' would be available.

They had to sleep in teepees - really small looking. Sat around a big fire pit. They would be cooking on big fire pits also. Outhouse; water hydrant for water (at least they didn't have to pump their own water ). Had tables in a picnic like pavilion for prep. The groceries they bought had been kept in picnic coolers (that made me nervous cause many chose to bring fish - & one shrimp).

Ron, Robin & Mattin in the bottom 3. Mattin sent packing.

Brothers Michael & Bryan, Ashley and Lauren (I think) in the top. Bryan won (I think); anyway the brother who had already won 2 other elimination comps won this one too.

There is such a big difference in the quality and skill of the chefs this season compared to past seasons!

Agman 2009

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... mtb002 09-17-09 1
 RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... mindy23 09-17-09 2
   RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... Snidget 09-17-09 3
       RE: Thanks, Snidget! mindy23 09-19-09 4
   RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... dajaki 09-19-09 5
 RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... dabo 09-21-09 6
   RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... jbug 09-21-09 7
       RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... mtb002 09-21-09 8
       RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... dabo 09-22-09 9
           RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - ... JessicaRN 09-26-09 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-17-09, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
This episode was very blah for me after last week. I think they really blew their wad early this year. Had they done this challenge before cooking for the Thunderbirds and French royalty, I would have been suitably interested. I watched to see what my top 4 did, though Kevin got robbed being left out of the top 4.

Did anyone else notice Mike V's approach to this challenge was a smidge arrogant? His point was you don't change your restaurant menu for every customer that comes in. Very valid except this isn't your restaurant. You aren't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Part of this whole challenge is to take you out of your comfort zone and see how you do. How adaptable are you? In that case, I think Kevin and Jen probably should have gotten more consideration. If you are just cooking for the judges, why bother having other people/guest challenges there at all? Just go all out iron chef, give them a secret ingredient and let them go at it.

Just out of curiosity, in all of your worlds, which judge would be the wicked witch of the west, and which are the flying monkeys? I think Mike I is the wizard (wants you to think he's all that, but when you pull back the curtain, you're left disappointed), Jen gets to be dorothy, Kevin the Lion, Bryan/Mike V get to be the tin man, Ash is the scarecrow, and Ashley is Toto. I don't care enough about the rest to assign them, although I feel bad about that with Ron and Eli.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-17-09, 11:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Having lived in the southwest most of my life, I've eaten cactus in a few forms. Mostly in jelly, and raw. The toughest part is skinning it so you don't get those pricks all over, especially the little, tiny ones, that are microscopic. Those things come back to haunt you!

The ones I have eaten have been the tops (blossoms) of the barrell cactus. Those are yummy, just eaten raw, and that's what most people add sugar to, cook down and make sauces or jellies out of.

These people were using prickly pear, for whatever reason. Those tend to be squasky, and gooey, if not prepared correctly. Strange that Milan was the one who knew the most about that, isn't it? And the other brother who won (I get them mixed up). I have only had the prickly pear in jelly and candy, so I don't know how they'd taste in any other form. I do know that they are a sticky mess, besides having to pull those thorns off. Most 'normal' people just don't deal with them-they are a novelty in your shops out here, like in Old Tucson, and the Grand Canyon and places like that.

Anyway, on to the camp challenge. I still need to look up the word 'chivece' or whatever. Seems everyone is stuck on making that and I haven't a clue. Did I say that before? I can't remember. But darn, I would have just thrown a nice T-bone on the grill, added some fresh corn with herbed butter, and a cool salad (if that's possible in the desert) and called it a day! How many cattle hands really care for all that fancy carp? And Tom throwing Milan's fish away really did it for me. What's the point? These guys are obviously cooking for the judges and not the guests. So, why not just eliminate the guests and cook for the judges, and finish this up? It's all so ridiculous and a waste of food to boot! That's MY not so humble opinion...

BTW, not so sure if wood outside a Tee Pee will really keep snakes out. Need to ask a Native American about that, not a Voodoo wannabee.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-17-09, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Ceviche. It does seem to be the hip thing to make. Every year there seems to be more of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche

Ceviche is marinated in a citrus-based mixture, with lemons and limes being the most commonly used. In addition to adding flavor, the citric acid causes the proteins in the seafood to become denatured, which pickles or "cooks" the fish without heat.

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-09, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Thanks, Snidget!"
Heck, looks like I've been making it without even knowing it had a fancy name!! LOL

dajaki 1453 desperate attention whore postings

09-19-09, 10:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
And don't forget Prickly Pear Syrup, which is lovely when sparingly added to a traditional margarita. And you can find that in almost any supermarket in the Phx area.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-09, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Well, I've finally caught up on watching this season. Got to have some pity for these folks trying to cook out in the dessert. What's-er-name really should have gone with plan B and tossed out the shrimp if it was smelling bad when she opened up the cooler. A nice sausage sammich for lunch, works for me.

Maybe it is the desert setting that is putting me off this season, maybe next season they can go up top a big mountain and see if the chefs can cope with altitude.

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-21-09, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Did one of the chefs have trouble with altitude in the finale challenge on one of the seasons? couldn't get water to boil? or had trouble with it? (or maybe the problem was just contemplated, but didn't happen

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-21-09, 11:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
LAST EDITED ON 09-21-09 AT 11:40 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-21-09 AT 11:39 PM (EST)

Season 3, Hung (sp) Dale and Casey. Casey had major altitude issues, didn't work around them well. Dale had trouble with his water, but altitude lead him to render his lamb in duck fat which got him major consideration for the win. Dale had one of the best story arcs in the history of the show.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

09-22-09, 01:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
Kudos! I'd forgotten about that (or maybe I just blocked it out because I generally love this show), but I thought at the time it was a set-up, a thoroughly unfair stunt on the part of the production company.

JessicaRN 1070 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-26-09, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Episode 5: Hot Hot Hot Heat - Camping!"
That was the year the finals were in Aspen.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •