The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Anyone even still watching this show??"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)

Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Top Chef Forum (Protected)
Original message

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-03-09, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Anyone even still watching this show??"
There really WAS another episode last night. Or was it just another bad dream, a side effect from these darn meds I am on?

All I know is that when I come over here, we're usually not posting at all, have very few posts, or we're an episode or two behind. Whose fault is that?

I suppose it could be MINE, and I will take total blame, BUT, I am not as well versed as the other episode recappers, who, IMHO, can just reach out and grab the whole enchilada (hey, that was a good one, was it not?? I mean we ARE talking about a food show!!) and reel us all in and make us feel like we really were there! I, on the other hand, cannot do that!

It's hard for me to even remember what happened the night before, and since I don't have a computer in front of the TV, and/or watch the show the day after, well, things are just not the same. Get my drift?

Alls I can tell you is the quick sniff challenge-whoops, wrong show. What show IS THAT?? The first 'you are safe from elimination' challenge had to do with so many different kinds of potatoes that I couldn't even keep up!

I have never seen so many potatoes in my entire life. Black, brown, purple, green, red, orange, you name it. They were there. If you build it, they will come. And they did. And what did our aspiring chefs do?? Most of them made yammy things. And good old Jennifer won it AGAIN. Darned if I can remember what she made. SEE, that is why I cannot do this recap carp.

OK. Onwards and upwards. If you want any more info, you'll just have to go to BravoTV.com and watch the recap, or wait until someone else comes on and tells you what you wanted to know.

Oh yeah, they broke up into teams of 2 afterwards and cooked for a bazillion soldiers who either just came home from over- seas or were heading out in that direction. Jennifer rode shot gun, since she wasn't going anywhere, and just kind of told everyone what to do-what she does best, I'm assuming.

Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Anyone even still watching this... weltek 09-03-09 1
 9/3 jbug 09-03-09 2
   RE: 9/3 mindy23 09-03-09 3
       RE: 9/3 jbug 09-03-09 4
   RE: 9/3 tribephyl 09-04-09 7
 RE: Anyone even still watching this... mtb002 09-03-09 5
   RE: Anyone even still watching this... tribephyl 09-04-09 6
 RE: Anyone even still watching this... Snidget 09-04-09 8
   RE: Anyone even still watching this... jbug 09-04-09 9
       RE: Anyone even still watching this... frodis 09-04-09 13
 RE: Anyone even still watching this... dabo 09-04-09 10
   RE: Anyone even still watching this... jbug 09-04-09 11
 RE: Anyone even still watching this... frodis 09-04-09 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16933 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-03-09, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
For some reason, I'm not really getting into this season. I'm not a Vegas fan, so maybe it's the setting and themes. I'm just not connecting with any of the contestants this season, either.

-A Tribetastic Creation
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

jbug 16685 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-09, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "9/3"
LAST EDITED ON 09-03-09 AT 12:29 PM (EST)

Quick fire was to make a dish using potatoes. As Mindy said, many many different potatoes.
Ashley almost had a melt down when Preeti used her boiling water - but then she ended up in the top 3 anyway so apparently she got more water boiling in time.

The challenge was to work as a whole team to cook for 300 airmen/women - at the home of the Thunderbirds.
They didn't get to know what ingredients or appliances would be available till they got to the base mess.

They all got together in a group (the night before); one of the Mikes (I think) suggested that they divide into teams of 2 and that Jennifer having immunity be the head chef to keep everything going in the kitchen. They agreed and divided up by choices - those speaking up quickly teamed with who they wanted - those sitting quietly got who was left over.

When they got to the mess, they found lots of potatoes , dried beans, rice, etc, lots of canned fruits and veggies, lots of dried herbs and spices. Also slab bacon, tenderloin, chicken, pork, shrimp, ......

4 hours to prepare and cover fro transport to the hanger where they would serve the airmen and some families too.

Jennifer did an awesome job of keeping everything going well in the kitchen as well as on the serving line. Hopefully the judges heard about it - we just didn't see that part.

Top 2 teams:
Mike I & Mike V
Mike V served roasted slab bacon sliced & served on a lettuce leaf ala taco style; and Mike I made a shrimp salad. They did not have to do 2 dishes but Mike V had the bacon under control so the other chose to do something else.
The judges loved Mike V's dish and he won the challenge.
They did not like Mike I's shrimp at all - undercooked & not well seasoned; but since he was teamed with Mike V he was in the top 2 teams.

Kevin & Eli
Made a southern style pulled pork with potato salad. I don't know how they pulled that off (not literally but how they accomplished that) in just 4 hours. The judges raved about both the mean & the potato salad.

Bottom 3 contestants.
Mike I brought back because of his shrimp dish.
Eve & Preeti made a veggie pasta salad. Judges said it was flavorless and bland. Eve knew it wasn't that great; Preeti thought it was excellent & had no idea why they were in the bottom 3.
Preeti eliminated.

ETA: This was from memory - except I did look up names on bravo.com

And? Anyone have a clue as to why Mattin is wearing the red scarf/bandana all the time? maybe just so he stands out in the crowd?

Agman 2009

PS - Mindy, it will help keep track of episodes if you can put the date or Ep number in your subject line - just suggesting

mindy23 1319 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-03-09, 06:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mindy23 Click to send private message to mindy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: 9/3"
Agman-will do that, if I'm going to go over the episode. I started into the post, not realizing I was going to do that. Sorry!

09-03-09, 07:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 9/3"
no big deal - I've done the same thing too!

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

09-04-09, 02:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: 9/3"
Anyone have a clue as to why Mattin is wearing the red scarf/bandana all the time?

Because he's french. (or at least affects his words with a frenchish accent)
No really, it's not uncommon for european chef's (primarily french ones) to adopt the scarf as part of the uniform.

mtb002 200 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-03-09, 11:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mtb002 Click to send private message to mtb002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
I'm watching, and I actually love this season. I just don't usually post over here, I don't know why it doesn't occur to me.
I didn't like last season, only even remotely interested in Carla, and even that was more just in passing.
This year I find the brothers fascinating, along with Kevin and Jen. I know an assertive female can rub some people the wrong way, but the woman has mad skills and knows how to run a kitchen. That was actually just as interesting to watch as the cooking. It was great that they made a big spread for the Thunderbirds and families. And to complicate it, there were no stovetops, and only 1 cauldron and 1 wok. It's amazing they got anything out at all. My palate is nowhere near refined enough to eat 3/4 of the stuff they make, but I sure enjoy watching them make it.

Observations of this season thus far. The women are in trouble. The only woman who has consistently performed at a high level is Jen. But with as talented as this whole group is, small mistakes will send great chefs home before their time.

I hope other people watch this season, and I'll try to come and join in while the show's going on next week.

tribephyl 9688 desperate attention whore postings

09-04-09, 02:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
I'm liking it too. The caliber is definitely higher than any season past.
I'm loving the brother dynamic.
I'm starting to begrudgingly love Jennifer. She is an amazing chef and leader. She's, frankly, wowing me. She did something besides a ceviche and didn't butcher any words in the process.

Snidget 43862 desperate attention whore postings

09-04-09, 05:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
I enjoyed the episode, but kept waiting for the "and another challenge where we have to cook for an institution we cannot be a part of" rant.

I was pretty impressed with what they could make out of standard military mess supplies. Nice to see that you don't always need expensive specialty ingredients to make some really tasty food.

09-04-09, 10:01 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
"and another challenge where we have to cook for an institution we cannot be a part of" rant.
So I wasn't the only one who thought about that

You're right - they prepared remarkable food with basic staples.

Anyone know what kind of chefs / cooks usually do the cooking? And if they only churn out the very basic meat & potatoes? or are there any military cooks that can really cook?

I remember Daddy telling about when he went into the Army and during basic he was assigned to KP (they knew he was the sole supporter of his mother & 3 sisters & maybe wanted to keep him out of harm's way?). Anyway he was to have all the perks of access to the kitchen; but? he told them he didn't join the Army to peel potatoes. He joined to fight; so off to infantry training he went. Came home with 2 Purple Hearts & a Bronze Star.

Agman 2009

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-04-09, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
I have a friend who was a cook in the Navy. He can actually cook more than just gruel. Not sure if he knew how to cook before he went in but he does now.

About Ashley's rant about the wedding challenge - I don't blame her or hold it against her. She had a platform to voice her opinion, so she did so and then she moved on and completed the challenge. I wouldn't expect her to be silent if she had something to say, and I'd have had a problem with her if she'd refused to compete in the challenge, but she didn't. She just took the opportunity to make a statement, and I have no problem with that.

dabo 25344 desperate attention whore postings

09-04-09, 10:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
Let's blame Bravo!

I have been watching, taping or catching reruns actually. This Vegas season has yet to kick into gear, I've yet to find any of these cheftestants interesting. Except for some negative impressions.

I did enjoy the feed the troops (and their families) elimination challenge last night, thought for sure the potato salad would win the day, but hey you can't go wrong with bacon. Wish the clam chowder had done better, at least that was a bold choice given the situation. Mac'n'cheese to have something for the young kids would have made more sense.

09-04-09, 11:01 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
Did they know there would be families too? with children?
I remember hearing "300 airmen" or whatever....
When they say "airmen" this means the women too
hard to break old habits..... and "airpersons" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Agman 2009

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-04-09, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Anyone even still watching this show??"
I think you did quite well with the recap, mindy!

I'm watching, but I'm recording and watching and am usually a day or two behind the original airing. Also, I get interrupted a lot so I wind up having to watch it 3-4 times in order to actually catch the whole episode.

It always takes me a few episodes to get into a season. I think I've started off every season with a "meh" attitude toward most of the chefs, then as I get to "know" them I settle in and have people I like and don't like. They just start with so many chefs and several of them get almost NO airtime initially, so I get confused about who is who.

I like Jennifer. Yes, she complains a lot, but I loved how she took over the kitchen and organized everyone. That's hard to do with all of the big personalities there, and she managed it well. Maybe no one gave her a hard time because she had immunity anyway, but regardless, she was great in there. I have a feeling that were she one-on-one on a team with someone that her personality and style would be overbearing but as the head cat-herder? She rocked.

I love potatoes.

I loved that the little mouthy dude ended up in the top - and then when the judges figured out that he was just tagging along on bacon-guy's coattails they re-routed Mouthy to the bottom 3. Loved that! To his credit, though, he was smart to just shut up when the judges were hammering Prethi and Lurleen. I figured Prethi wasn't long for this competition when she had never shucked clams before (in episode 1) so this boot was not a shock.

I know that Lurleen's name is not actually Lurleen but I can't remember what her name actually is. Mr. Fro and I have nicknames for all of them and this early in the going I only remember the nicknames.

I like Jessie (lip ring girl) but she's having trouble with the pressure. She seems to always manage one big Whoops that she realizes but can't fix. She needs to slow down a step, take a deep breath and focus. I think her ideas have been good, but her execution is too frenzied. I hope that she can get it together before she gets booted but she's out of time to slide. I hope she pulls a Carla but I'm not sure she's got the emotional composure to get herself together.

I do love this show, I just need time to warm up to the cheftestants.

Lock | Archive | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •